LCK Book

Discussions worth keeping around later.
vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

zompist wrote:According to this page

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... eId=596194

shipping charges to Europe are $4 per order plus $4 per item. I'll look at what it would cost to ship to Europe myself— it might end up cheaper if that's the only book you want.
Shipping to Europe via First-Class mail is about $5-8 as the base rate, depending on the size of the book. In addition, you can treat the shipment as a "gift", so the receiver won't have to pay import taxes or duties (if applicable).
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

benadam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by benadam »

OK, I am deffo buying this. One thing that disappoints me though:
Mark Rosenfelder wrote:Plus, every page features conlanging’s new mascot, Connie the Contortionist Conlanging Conger Eel!
(OK, no it doesn’t.)
It doesn't? :(

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

zompist wrote:Has anyone ordered the book through amazon.com from Europe?
I just ordered from Rosario, Argentina. The shipping rate is U$S9.98 (standard); U$S 21.98 (expedited). I chose the former :P

On other news, I just talked to Pablo Flores' brother (we belong to the same RPG community); he said he's going to tell his brother about the book, so maybe there'll be 2 copies in Rosario in a few weeks :)
Laurie Anderson wrote:Writing about music is like dancing about architecture

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

My copy arrived today! Huzzah.

Thoughts, reviews, comments etc. to follow once I've actually read it.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

We checked at the post office today-- shipping to Europe for the book (1.1. pounds) was about $13.50... which pretty much eats up the discount I can get by ordering books myself.

The shipping costs are definitely a weak spot in my plan to take over the publishing world, so I'm sorry about that.

You can always order a bunch of books from Amazon, to minimize the per-shipment cost. I hear the Chicken Soup for the Soul books are nice.

Or maybe bookstore ordering, once it's in place, will be cheaper.

A correspondent suggested Kindle; I will definitely look into that. It's more work as Kindle doesn't take PDFs, but it could be a substantially cheaper solution for many people.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Okay, so, I'm still browsing through it and stuff, and I'll post more substantive comments when I've finished, but my anal-retentive side compels me to point out a handful of minor mistakes I've found so far or comments I have or nitpicks or whatever:

*Pg. 83: At first I thought the glossing of the Nishnaabemwin example had a mistake, but I've checked and it turns out that's how Valentine in fact glosses the sentence in his grammar. Which is weird. Because pii is definitely a temporal word in most cases (i.e., it normally means "when" or "then"), while dash is a general-purpose complementizer with a bunch of different meanings; but if I were to gloss one as "then" and one as "than" I'd definitely do it the other way around: i.e., I'd gloss pii dash as "then than" instead of "than then". I'm not sure why he does it differently. I might have to ask him. In any case, the addition of the "prox-" before "Bill" in the gloss definitely isn't accurate (it's not present in Valentine's gloss, except as a general identification of the word class as "na 3sProx"). Partly because proximate nouns are unmarked, but partly because it kind of makes it look like the m- is a prefix marking the noun as proximate, when it's just there because in many English names borrowed into Nishnaabemwin initial voiced consonants become prenazalized (perhaps because Ojibwe "voiced" consonants are really lenis and unspecified for voice, but are indeed phonetically voiced after nasals?).

*Pg. 202: There's some issues with the transliterations of both Egyptian words: "sun" should really be or rʕw (i.e., with ayin, not aleph), and "man" can be written s, but it would be more accurate to write it as zj or z.

*The indecision between "tS", "tʃ", and "č" in phonetic transcriptions could potentially be a little confusing for a beginner, I suspect (for instance, it's "tS" in the discussion of French on pg. 170; "tʃ" in /ditʃi/ on pg. 197; and "č" in /voče/ on pg. 185).

*Pg. 182: "Nanese keeps most of the sounds as is (but the labials are palatalized...)" should read "...but the velars are palatalized..."

I'll close by noting that I am particularly excited by the MUCH larger semantics and pragmatics sections (yay!) and the annotations in the Kebreni grammar, which I suspect will prove very useful in helping newbies figure out how the various concepts in the book can be put into action.

Trajan
Niš
Niš

Post by Trajan »

zompist wrote:Has anyone ordered the book through amazon.com from Europe?
I did today. It cost me € 17.43 (€ 11.37 for the book and € 6.06 for shipping).

I hope it's worth it! Amazon told me it would arrive between April 15, 2010 and May 5, 2010, so I'll have to be patient.

Can't wait!
[color=red]Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87[/color]
[img]http://www.cwnc.net/my/images/cwnc-mod.png[/img]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Yikes, are they sending it by sailing ship?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

zompist wrote:Yikes, are they sending it by sailing ship?
Apparently. Amazon must never have heard of the invention of airmail. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Well, then it's called shipping for a reason... though amazon.co.uk prefers the word dispatching.
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Io wrote:Well, then it's called shipping for a reason... though amazon.co.uk prefers the word dispatching.
Yeah, Shipping. :)
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Well, maybe it's like they do on the publishing end... give you huge time estimates so you're pleased when they do better than that. (Setting up the book listing is said to take up to 15 business days; it actually took about 3.) It beats getting short estimates and failing to meet them... :?

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Indeed. Mine's due the 21st of April, which is enough to forget about it and then get pleasantly surprised when it arrives :P
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Well, I just got mine in the mail (amazon is really on the ball this week, I guess), and it looks awesome. Thanks so much, zomp!

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

zompist wrote:Well, maybe it's like they do on the publishing end... give you huge time estimates so you're pleased when they do better than that. (Setting up the book listing is said to take up to 15 business days; it actually took about 3.) It beats getting short estimates and failing to meet them... :?
That's my usual exerience with Amazon.com, which is great, except when you buy from other vendor and the shipping actually takes a lot. I bought The Burning Wheel on dec.28 and got it the second half of february :(
Laurie Anderson wrote:Writing about music is like dancing about architecture

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

krinnen, at least you GOT it, here postal workers pilfter whatever they can, even things of no value to them :x

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Io wrote:krinnen, at least you GOT it, here postal workers pilfter whatever they can, even things of no value to them :x
I can just see the postal service in your country grinding to a halt because all the workers are conlanging instead of doing their actual work :-)
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE SNAILMAILED

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

bricka, at the moment they must be busy building the best operating system or photoshopping pics of me in Alberta.

Trajan
Niš
Niš

Post by Trajan »

zompist wrote:Yikes, are they sending it by sailing ship?
Well, I did choose the cheapest option. The fastest ("Priority International Courier") would have taken 2-4 working days ... and upped the price by € 24.20 !!! :x
[color=red]Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87[/color]
[img]http://www.cwnc.net/my/images/cwnc-mod.png[/img]

benadam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by benadam »

Ordered. Even despite the severe lack of Connie the Contortionist Conlanging Conger Eel.
Jihámon Yhliao?

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

It came in today. It looks quite promising.

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

Got mine today. I haven't had a chance to read it cover to cover, but I did happen to notice one misprint near the top of page 258 ("Lnaguages").

And omigosh, an example sentence in Eteodaole! Exciting. :D

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

eodrakken wrote:And omigosh, an example sentence in Eteodaole! Exciting. :D
What?? OH!
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Why did several people who bought this also buy "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars (Hardcover)"?