LCK Book

Discussions worth keeping around later.
chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

Viktor77 wrote:Has anyone proposed an ebook version of the LCK? I'd love a version for my iBook app or Kindle app.
Still looking for a use for your iPad?
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Ooh, it's on Amazon France too.

Er, sent sous 1 à 2 mois? That's pretty lame. Someday the French office will be able to afford its own laser printer.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

bricka wrote:But seriously, it's an awesome book, even if it continually reminds me that every one of my conlangs is shit and needs much more work. Maybe it's a subtle hint that my work is done and it's time for me to shuffle off this mortal coil?
*coughcough* hey, if I can use this book to improve, so can you.

the difference is you have far less to improve than I do.
MadBrain is a genius.

Miiil
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Miiil »

I have a copy!! :mrgreen:

And I'm in Australia...

What script is the wirting on the back in?

I'm reading the book all through at the moment, then I'll use it. I'm up to pg.147.

[edit]

Oh, look, I'm Per now...
---INSERT SIGNATURE HERE---

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

hwhatting wrote:(it is available on amazon.de, for 13.99 Euros).
I miiiight get it then.
amazon.de wrote:Gewöhnlich versandfertig in 2 bis 4 Wochen.
This is the only worrying part. Seems like their German office can't afford a laser printer either...

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Rodlox wrote:
bricka wrote:But seriously, it's an awesome book, even if it continually reminds me that every one of my conlangs is shit and needs much more work. Maybe it's a subtle hint that my work is done and it's time for me to shuffle off this mortal coil?
*coughcough* hey, if I can use this book to improve, so can you.

the difference is you have far less to improve than I do.
In the sense that infinity is "far less than" ten times infinity, maybe :D
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

chris_notts wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Has anyone proposed an ebook version of the LCK? I'd love a version for my iBook app or Kindle app.
Still looking for a use for your iPad?
No, but it would be an awesome addition to my iPad.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

zompist wrote: Er, sent sous 1 à 2 mois? That's pretty lame. Someday the French office will be able to afford its own laser printer.
Mais non, they have a beautiful secretary who types every ordered book by hand from the file... :wink:
amazon.de wrote:Gewöhnlich versandfertig in 2 bis 4 Wochen.
This is the only worrying part. Seems like their German office can't afford a laser printer either...
Nein, nein, alles Handarbeit!

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Canada as well. 15$! Pas cher pantoute!
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

yay I found it on Ebay... it's available from some aussie bookstore which ships to Chile :D

so I should get it... sometime this year u_u

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Torco wrote:yay I found it on Ebay... it's available from some aussie bookstore which ships to Chile :D

You should've asked, I could have got it for you. It's even easier now as it's available through the CA website.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Yiuel wrote:
Torco wrote:yay I found it on Ebay... it's available from some aussie bookstore which ships to Chile :D

You should've asked, I could have got it for you. It's even easier now as it's available through the CA website.
Yeah, I should have. dang xD

Still, 23usd? that's way below the average price of books around here. I'm surprised at how inexpensive it is.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

I just received my copy of the LCK (as a birthday present from my wife) and look forward to reading it. 8)

p@,
Glenn

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I am temporarily coming out of lurkerdom to say that I just ordered a copy from the Barnes and Noble website. I am very much looking forward to getting it.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I do wonder what significance the discussion of pragmatics has from a purely conlanging perspective. Do languages really differ that much on whether the speakers take turns or speak for purposes other than pure communication? Or was he pointing the way to creating a truly alien language by pointing out all the linguistic and para-linguistic structures we take for granted?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Cultures do differ in turn-taking behavior and in other aspects of pragmatics; some of this is discussed in the book.

Pragmatics is also one of my favorite parts of linguistics, one I wasn't able to do justice to in the online LCK.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Oh god, I've been reading through it willy-nilly, soaking in as much as I can...

It is a really well written book, I love it.

It is hard for me to pay attention and read through front to back, but I do love finding tidbits of knowledge that I didn't know, and the humor and ease of which it seems to flow.

The part on language families and Kebreni are my favorite chapters right now.

Kebreni is really a beautiful language, and I enjoy reading the grammar as if it were some sort of poetry. Which I suppose in some way, conlangs are poems of a sort...
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

I got my copy a couple days ago, and it's pretty great. I haven't had time to read much of it yet, but the phonology section was really helpful, especially the vowels; I'm starting to feel that I actually know which IPA symbols stand for what now.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

hwhatting wrote:I put it on my amazon wish list (it is available on amazon.de, for 13.99 Euros). As I won't be in Germany for months, there is no sense in ordering now.
My family is going to Germany for a couple of weeks and my daughter wanted something from amazon, so I added the LCK to that order. So I'll get to read it when they come back.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE

I literally just got my copy of the LCK book [thanks, Eric, for the internet dollars which allowed me to purchase it]. I'm browsing through it as I write. It kind of reminds me of a manual for a household appliance, for whatever reason, instead of a book book.

From what I gather at first browse, it's nicely written and sprinkled with humour. A nice read, overall.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Torco wrote:It kind of reminds me of a manual for a household appliance, for whatever reason, instead of a book book.
Based on the manuals for appliances I know, this doesn't sound like a recommendation.
I hope zomp didn't run it through Chinese via Google translate to give it an "appliance manual" feel. :wink:

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

zompist wrote:Pragmatics is also one of my favorite parts of linguistics, one I wasn't able to do justice to in the online LCK.
Wait, what? I bought the book, so I am not complaining about content. But something feels very wrong about that sentence (which could just be me parsing it wrong). The online LCK has the advantage of being able to be altered any time you want it. You could add anything from a thousand page treatise to "Pragmatics are cool, go read!"

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

hwhatting wrote:
Torco wrote:It kind of reminds me of a manual for a household appliance, for whatever reason, instead of a book book.
Based on the manuals for appliances I know, this doesn't sound like a recommendation.
I hope zomp didn't run it through Chinese via Google translate to give it an "appliance manual" feel. :wink:
lol, no, it's just the very soft cardboard on the covers.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Prmysl wrote:
zompist wrote:Pragmatics is also one of my favorite parts of linguistics, one I wasn't able to do justice to in the online LCK.
Wait, what? I bought the book, so I am not complaining about content. But something feels very wrong about that sentence (which could just be me parsing it wrong). The online LCK has the advantage of being able to be altered any time you want it. You could add anything from a thousand page treatise to "Pragmatics are cool, go read!"
As indicated by the past tense, I was talking about what was actually in the online LCK written ten years ago, not what is physically possible.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

On that topic, I just finished reading the semantics chapter and I'm halfway through pragmatics [a very pleasant read, I must say] and they strike me more as introductions than as guidelines for conlanging. Basically, I'm saying they don't much address the questions of "oh, okay, nice, now how do I apply that to conlanging?"

of course, they will probably only be read by conlangers who can figure that out anyway