LCK Book

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

zompist wrote:As indicated by the past tense, I was talking about what was actually in the online LCK written ten years ago, not what is physically possible.
Okay that makes a lot more sense. I had noticed the past tense and was what confused me because I interpreted it as indicating something else. Instead of seeing as a complete past moment I saw it as somewhat punctal form of "haven't been able" as in you tried once and never bothered again. Neat, now to find a way to work that into a lang.

Guitarplayer II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Guitarplayer II »

I've ordered it now. Seems that they actually have a couple of printed copies stocked, so I hopefully won't need to wait for weeks.
giˈtaɹ.plɛɪ̯ɚ‿n dɪs.ˈgaɪz • [b][url=http://sanstitre.nfshost.com/sbk]Der Sprachbaukasten[/url][/b]
[size=84]And! [url=http://bit.ly/9dSyTI]Ayeri Reference Grammar[/url] (upd. 28 Sep 2010)[/size]

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Bought my copy off Amazon. It arrived about a week now and I finished reading it today. I found it an admirably clear summary of some complex material. I particularly liked the language families chapter - a field that's exercising me at the moment, and the Kebreni chapter, it's a fascinating language.

Guitarplayer II
Lebom
Lebom

I've yet to have a closer look, but what kind of bugs me is that whoever didn't pay attention to orphans and widows. In one case (forgot the page no.) you even get a headline at the very bottom of a right page, the actual chapter starts at the top-left of the new one. But I've read Amazon is to blame for formatting mishaps.
giˈtaɹ.plɛɪ̯ɚ‿n dɪs.ˈgaɪz • [b][url=http://sanstitre.nfshost.com/sbk]Der Sprachbaukasten[/url][/b]
[size=84]And! [url=http://bit.ly/9dSyTI]Ayeri Reference Grammar[/url] (upd. 28 Sep 2010)[/size]

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

I'd agree about the layout problems. I looked back and found two titles at the bottom of pages, with their paragraphs opposite, p.156 and 158.

Still - I'm looking forward to the planet-making sequel!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

No, it's my fault... FWIW final widow-orphan checks must be done when the text is really really done, as any correction can cause a lot of re-flowing. If anyone remembers my blog posts during the process, there's a load of work that starts when the text is done.

In any case I'm paying more attention to this sort of thing with the PCK as I know it does bother people.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Oh, alright - we'll let you off this time! :wink:

Opera
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Opera »

zompist wrote:Ooh, it's on Amazon France too.

Er, sent sous 1 à 2 mois? That's pretty lame. Someday the French office will be able to afford its own laser printer.
Just bought it with Amazon France and I will get it under 5 days. From Amazon.com it would have been under 18 to 27 days...

Anyway, given your surprise, I guess you don't know when or if the upcoming PCK will be available on Amazon France?

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Opera wrote:
zompist wrote:Ooh, it's on Amazon France too.

Er, sent sous 1 à 2 mois? That's pretty lame. Someday the French office will be able to afford its own laser printer.
Just bought it with Amazon France and I will get it under 5 days. From Amazon.com it would have been under 18 to 27 days...

Anyway, given your surprise, I guess you don't know when or if the upcoming PCK will be available on Amazon France?
Well, it must first be completed.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Opera
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Opera »

Yiuel wrote:Well, it must first be completed.
Yeah, that's why I called it "upcoming".

monoglot
Niš
Niš

Post by monoglot »

I've had a little extra time on my hands lately (for the first time in seven years, I've not been working two jobs), and I've been thinking of doing something with conlangs. Lo and behold, a new conlanging resource!

I've not added much to my personal toolkit in the last few years, a little Italian and a little Tagalog. The grammar of the latter is kicking my ass, though. Everything I've studied otherwise is nominative/accusitive and lacking in the confusing trigger system, so I'm frankly terrified to use objects in my sentences. And I've never worked without tense and without a copula, though that isn't nearly as weird.

But I'm going to have to grab the LCK in book form, even if I just read it and do nothing else with it.

Edit: And, purchased.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

The new book is coming soon. Can't wait to buy it.
- Daneydzaus

goneriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by goneriku »

Awesome, I'll be buying the LCK soon myself (along with a few other linguistics books, of course).
Really looking forward to both.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Wow, that was fast... I only approved it on Saturday, so I was expecting it'd be another week.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Holy crap this is all happening so fast!

Anyway, cool.

EDIT: Ordered! I should get it by Thursday apparently?

Opera
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Opera »

Now it just needs to be on amazon.fr or .co.uk!

Guitarplayer II
Lebom
Lebom

Opera wrote:Now it just needs to be on amazon.fr or .co.uk!
.de preferably, too. Though not for me, I'm not so much into conworlding.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

The .com one scares me a bit; I didn't even have to verify my card. :? I mean there's a whole extra screen on the .co.uk...

Opera
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Opera »

Maybe you had already verified it before? Some sites keep that in mind and don't ask again.

What bothers me the most is the high shipping fee to be honest. It'd be way lower with the .fr one (for me of course).

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Bless the Australian dollar's ludicrously high exchange rate at present. Ordered now!
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Kopachris
Niš
Niš

Post by Kopachris »

Aw! :( I'd order it, but I don't have any money now. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas! :)
丸書いて地球
僕ヘタリア

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

damn, I don't have any online money to buy it.

u_u

I should really get a bank account or something.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Oh shiny!

Will order it in a few days.
- Daneydzaus

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

This triggered me to check amazon.co.uk, and they have the LCK book available. Just ordered. Now'll have to wait for the PCK to become available.

JAL