Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by Izambri »

Lyra wrote:I got myself a tablet and have been wokring on my project thing as of late... finally started it here:
http://voicesofataname.tumblr.com/

story set in a conworld, etc. Will try to use english as little as possible.

~Lyra
Me likez. Wanz maur.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

(casts Reanimate, targeting thread)

What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Rik
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rik »

So, I'm "actively seeking employment", as they say. Preferably as a website coder, cuz working as a picker at Argos is shite work.

Anyways, one of the recruitment agents (may they all Rot in Hell, the bastards) told me that I really needed a stronger online portfolio to showcase my talents to potential employers.

And thus begat the creation of Scrawl.js - "a JavaScript library designed to make using the HTML5 <canvas> element a bit easier and a bit more fun".

- The Kaleidoscope Clock

- Animated cat across 3D terrain

... and has all my hard work over the past 6 weeks landed me with any Gainful Employment?

Has it fuck!

Enjoy!

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

can hardly compete with Shark's banknotes, and has nothing to do with conworlding/langing <until i finally learn how to make pictures, then I'll probably make artifacts and illustrate people from conworlds, come up with a cursive form for a conwriting system and all that fun stuff>

but for now, I've drawn my character in a D&D table me and buddies are playing.
soo yeah, a dwarf

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

A... pale-green dwarven Paladin?

Well I guess what with all the theology and being a dwarf he didn't get much sun.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

He's green ? :S

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Greyish green. Artichoke.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I have protanomaly, so I guess what I see his face as, which is pretty much a light shade of brown, could easily appear as another colour to most people.
HEY IM A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE OKAY ??? STOP BULLYING ME!

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

I have protanomaly, too, and it looks brownish to me. Though more towards the green end than the red end indeed now that it was pointed out. (If it comforts you, Torco, I posted a drawing of a white dude once and I accidentally colored his skin a light green instead of beige-ish white.)

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK IT SGREEEN
xD
weeeird, man. I figured it ought to be green, i mean, i'm decidedly heterochromatic, so i just figured "well, different eyes see different shit"... but i looked at my avatar picture, then at the dwarf, then at the avatar picture, and suddenly it was so clear! yeah, it is kind of green-grayish. whoaaa, man, that was weird! i was sure it was brown. I really did see it as brown... heck, I still do see it as brown, except its not so brown...

duuuude, my head asplode!

alcachofa :D
GP: redless solidarity! these poor people live in an all-red world. they see red as a violent color! violent! red, the most mellow of shades! :P

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

He's closer to Grey Hulk than Green Hulk.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Another one of my forays into architectural design, an attempt to draw the floor plan for a simple apartment complex. I was not sure how to fit the elevator into the plan and it feels kind of awkward sitting next to the outside wall like that. It seemed rather hard to avoid such an arrangement, though, without disrupting the otherwise symmetrical and regular quality of the building.

"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Where are the closets? I assume you are making this for middle-class Americans, and we don't like armoires. Also, where are people supposed to eat? When you factor in counters, the sink, and the fridge, you've got a very tight space. If I cooked a big meal, for, say, four people, would I have to carry all the pots and dishes through the hallway into the living room, or would people have to go all that way to serve themselves?

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

Armoires are great. However, if it was me, I would also do something about the kitchen, possibly merge it and the living room into one big room as seems to be a common thing nowadays, and somehow rearrange the other side of the apartment to have two bedrooms there.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Jabechasqvi wrote:Another one of my forays into architectural design, an attempt to draw the floor plan for a simple apartment complex. I was not sure how to fit the elevator into the plan and it feels kind of awkward sitting next to the outside wall like that. It seemed rather hard to avoid such an arrangement, though, without disrupting the otherwise symmetrical and regular quality of the building.

What you did is a pretty standard apartment complex except you replaced the stairway partially with an elevator.

Here's what I'm going to say. No one today will buy an apartment with that kind of kitchen. Open concept is your best bet because not only is it more attractive to apartment dwellers, it eats up less floorspace. Also you need a dining area of some sort and right now you lack that completely. You basically need to scrap the entire kitchen and build it open concept into the living room with a small attached dining. Your bedrooms should be together, and located around the bathroom. The hall is wasted space, you want as small a hallway as you can. In fact all you need is a vestibule-like hallway around the bedrooms and bath.

Speaking of floorplans, I just got done drawing one for work of a crazy complicated house. I don't understand why people who build crazy houses like this can't supply us prints. You built the house in 1994, where could the prints have seriously gone??? We had prints from my parent's house built in the 1960s!

Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Only cartoon plutocrats with monocles and liveried footmen have a separate room for dining. Humans eat in the kitchen. Or the bedroom if they're under 25 and that's where the computer happens to be.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

brandrinn wrote:Only cartoon plutocrats with monocles and liveried footmen have a separate room for dining. Humans eat in the kitchen. Or the bedroom if they're under 25 and that's where the computer happens to be.
I didn't say a separate dining room, I said a dining area or an attached dining area. Right now he has a kitchen, a tiny one which can only fit cabinets. Where are you going to put a table? Even just a tiny table you still need a freaking table! Not everyone eats on the couch, or apparently like you eats on the kitchen cabinets or something.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Viktor77 wrote:Here's what I'm going to say. No one today will buy an apartment with that kind of kitchen. Open concept is your best bet because not only is it more attractive to apartment dwellers, it eats up less floorspace. Also you need a dining area of some sort and right now you lack that completely. You basically need to scrap the entire kitchen and build it open concept into the living room with a small attached dining. Your bedrooms should be together, and located around the bathroom. The hall is wasted space, you want as small a hallway as you can. In fact all you need is a vestibule-like hallway around the bedrooms and bath.
For what it's worth, I was modelling it on many of the floor plans I have seen for European apartments. Many of them did include central hallways linking the rooms, small kitchens without much room for dining, and (regarding the criticism patiku raises) few or no closets. All that led me to conclude that one could easily dispense with such things and indeed that it would lend some sophistication and Old World flavor.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

t wouldn't
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Jabechasqvi wrote: For what it's worth, I was modelling it on many of the floor plans I have seen for European apartments. Many of them did include central hallways linking the rooms, small kitchens without much room for dining, and (regarding the criticism patiku raises) few or no closets. All that led me to conclude that one could easily dispense with such things and indeed that it would lend some sophistication and Old World flavor.
It certainly looks familiar.
Though central hallways and the lack of closets are just annoying though.

I can't really agree with Viktor on open concept kitchens though; I like having the kitchen in a separate room: I can postpone doing the dishes and not have them looking accusingly at me; I can fry stuff without the whole house smelling like grease, or just close the kitchen door so I don't hear the washing machine as much.
Sure, a kitchen big enough to eat in would be ideal, but I can eat in the living room. It's no big deal.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Drydic Guy wrote:t wouldn't
Do you mean to say "it wouldn't" meaning that my design choices would not lend it sophistication after all?

I should point out that I have been trying to design my apartment complex to look something like the apartment buildings that seem typical of European cities. Something rectangular and terraced with a regular and symmetrical façade.
Ars Lande wrote:It certainly looks familiar.
Though central hallways and the lack of closets are just annoying though.
I can understand why people would find the lack of closets a problem. The hallway seems like a better idea to me, though, since it lends privacy between the rooms and keeps the apartment entrance from opening directly into the living room. And while admittedly I have not found many definitive floor plans, it does seem fairly common in the apartment floor plans I have seen thus far.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Jabechasqvi wrote:The hallway seems like a better idea to me, though
It isn't.
since it lends privacy between the rooms
That's what walls and doors are for.
and keeps the apartment entrance from opening directly into the living room.
And that is a problem why?

Hallways are wasted space. They're only useful for transit between the rooms. If they're not there, the space can be added to (in this and similar cases) the living room, and be (potentially, at least) less wasted.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

brandrinn wrote:Only cartoon plutocrats with monocles and liveried footmen have a separate room for dining. Humans eat in the kitchen. Or the bedroom if they're under 25 and that's where the computer happens to be.
LOLLLL

What the fuck? You're not saying that seriously, are you? Where do you live? I for one can't imagine a Salvadoran house with an income of more than $800 per month or so without a separate comedor 'dining room' 'eating room'.

Separate dining rooms aren't rare in Canada either, even though it's true they generally make the kitchen big enough to have a small table to eat there (unlike in El Salvador), and I've also seen houses where the kitchen is pretty much on the walls of the dining room (or maybe the table was just in the middle of the kitchen, same thing).

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Don't worry, Brandrinn is talking out of his ass. He grew up in the US, so he can hardly help but be well aware that virtually all houses have a dining room or at minimum a dining area partially sectioned off from the kitchen.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Jabechasqvi wrote:since it lends privacy between the rooms
That's what walls and doors are for.
But what happens when the bedroom and bathroom doors open to the living room itself? It seems like that would intrude on privacy since you would have to go through the living room to get anywhere. The hallway separates that traffic from the living room.
and keeps the apartment entrance from opening directly into the living room.
And that is a problem why?
It make the transition from the public space of the stairwell to the private space of the apartment itself rather abrupt. Consider the popularity of foyers and vestibules on houses, which among other things serve to buffer the personal space of the living room from the city street. Perhaps not everyone would consider that vitally important, but it seems to matter to many people, judging by the frequency of foyers and other buffer spaces I have seen in floor plans.

I have considered eliminating the hallway, though, and made another sketch to illustrate that possibility:
Attachments
Alternative design for flat with hallway merged into living room and all rooms opening into it.
Alternative design for flat with hallway merged into living room and all rooms opening into it.
apartment_alt.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 4425 times