Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by Viktor77 »

That layout is tolerable, but the entrance door needs moving. The door location is a good location for a dining table, so having the door there is awkward. Your kitchen is itself too small for a table and to have it anywhere but near the kitchen is awkward and weird and a potential carpet disaster.

Also get rid of the wall between the kitchen and living room and add, at the very least, a dividing bar with stools.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Remember all those stereotype maps I asked people to make? Well I finally made one for my hometown, Saginaw, MI.

Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Viktor77 wrote:That layout is tolerable, but the entrance door needs moving. The door location is a good location for a dining table, so having the door there is awkward. Your kitchen is itself too small for a table and to have it anywhere but near the kitchen is awkward and weird and a potential carpet disaster.

Also get rid of the wall between the kitchen and living room and add, at the very least, a dividing bar with stools.
Mock it up in The Sims!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Ars Lande wrote:Sure, a kitchen big enough to eat in would be ideal, but I can eat in the living room. It's no big deal.
I've lived in enough houses where dining area and kitchen were separated by hallways, and I've even seen one house where they were on different floors. But in those cases, the kitchens were at least big enough for 2-4 people to eat in them, so the separation mattered only for formal dining situations or when the group eating became too big for the kitchen. Sufficient space for a table and a couple of chairs is something I would put in any kitchen if I could start from scratch (as opposed to doing something with an existing floorplan I can't change, e.g. because the place is rented).

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

hwhatting wrote:
Ars Lande wrote:Sure, a kitchen big enough to eat in would be ideal, but I can eat in the living room. It's no big deal.
I've lived in enough houses where dining area and kitchen were separated by hallways, and I've even seen one house where they were on different floors. But in those cases, the kitchens were at least big enough for 2-4 people to eat in them, so the separation mattered only for formal dining situations or when the group eating became too big for the kitchen. Sufficient space for a table and a couple of chairs is something I would put in any kitchen if I could start from scratch (as opposed to doing something with an existing floorplan I can't change, e.g. because the place is rented).
If you have a choice or are building and you don't want a table in your kitchen, an option to consider is extended counters with stools/chairs for eating.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

So basically you would say the hallway needs to go and it would really help to integrate the kitchen and dining areas with the living room. I still think some kind of hallway or foyer would be nice for buffering public and private spaces, though. And they seem pretty common in the apartment floor plans I have managed to find, much moreso than all the rooms opening directly into the living room.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

how many apartments have you actually been inside
Image Image

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Drydic Guy wrote:how many apartments have you actually been inside
Not very many. You do not see many apartments around here, as you might imagine. I have mostly been basing my drawings on floor plans I have found through Google image searches.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Jabechasqvi wrote:
Drydic Guy wrote:how many apartments have you actually been inside
Not very many. You do not see many apartments around here, as you might imagine. I have mostly been basing my drawings on floor plans I have found through Google image searches.
so go look at some
Image Image

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

There are no apartments in a city with over ten thousand people?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

patiku wrote:There are no apartments in a city with over ten thousand people?
Maybe a few here and there, but I honestly don't see much besides single family houses here.
Drydic Guy wrote:so go look at some
I have been looking, although I am still sifting through results and such. I wonder if Viktor would know where to look for this sort of thing.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Jabechasqvi wrote:
patiku wrote:There are no apartments in a city with over ten thousand people?
Maybe a few here and there, but I honestly don't see much besides single family houses here.
Drydic Guy wrote:so go look at some
I have been looking, although I am still sifting through results and such. I wonder if Viktor would know where to look for this sort of thing.
go - verb (intransitive) To move from one place to another.

I didn't tell you to look at more. I told you to MOVE YOUR PHYSICAL BODY AND GO LOOK AT SOME ACTUAL APARTMENTS IN REAL LIFE.
Image Image

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Drydic Guy wrote:go - verb (intransitive) To move from one place to another.

I didn't tell you to look at more. I told you to MOVE YOUR PHYSICAL BODY AND GO LOOK AT SOME ACTUAL APARTMENTS IN REAL LIFE.
Point taken, although that will probably take a while given my current circumstances.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Time to abandon the septic tank for some hours!
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

According to this site, there are 400,000 apartment dwellers in Missouri. Then this article says that there are 135,000 units in the "metro St Louis" area. In fact, according to that article, demand for apartments is on the rise, with the lowest vacancy rate in ten years and 1000 more units planned for construction. I think we can easily venture a guess as to why apartments (or more accurately, the particular groups of people who predominantly live in them) are invisible to Eddy. But that's a discussion for IRC, not the board.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

brandrinn wrote:But that's a discussion for IRC, not the board.
no it isn't

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

brandrinn wrote:According to this site, there are 400,000 apartment dwellers in Missouri. Then this article says that there are 135,000 units in the "metro St Louis" area. In fact, according to that article, demand for apartments is on the rise, with the lowest vacancy rate in ten years and 1000 more units planned for construction. I think we can easily venture a guess as to why apartments (or more accurately, the particular groups of people who predominantly live in them) are invisible to Eddy. But that's a discussion for IRC, not the board.
Well no actually. I never said there were no apartments in Missouri, just that the area where I live has relatively few apartments. And since I have no vehicle of my own, I cannot simply drive to the city and look at apartments there, nor do I know anyone who would let me inside anyway.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

More money:
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Those are coming along very nicely Vampireshark! I especially like the doughnut-holed ones.

My latest contribution to historicdetroit.org, the Boeing house.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Was bored, so I made the map of Kool map game's Cobbled Kingdom.

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Awesome.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Please make the whole thing or explain your technique so I can make something similar.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

You were too slow responding about the whole technique thing so I went ahead and did it anyway.

My original image is double the resolution of this one.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

That one's a small copy of the original, which is 1520x1520 pixels. If I know before, I post it!

And how I made the map is simple: I took the map we're using for the game and, using Paint.NET, I selected the area to re-map (the Cobbled Kingdom), then I cut the spare area, applied to the new file the "Canvas Size" tool (making the image much bigger) and I painted it again.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Ah, I see, I only doubled your image when I should have slightly more than tripled it. I've only done Chocolate Island. Maybe I can find a way to increase it in size (Although doubling your image and fitting the original to it results in a map file that is 13000*6500 pixels!).

I just used Photoshop and drew each altitude colour by hand on a different layer.