Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by Pthagnar »

dhokarena56 wrote:That went right over your head.
No, he's right. T-shirts, being practical garments with the aforementioned asymmetry, are poor items for preserving modernist masturbation like the circularity of Finnegans wake.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I also finished this T-Shirt for the IE nerd. Sooner or later I'll put the descendants on the back as an alternative, which will be more expensive but will come with Old English and Gothic as bonuses.

I could probably do this for other language families, but I suspect the market for the Mixe-Zoquean version would be, to say the least, small.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

dhokarena56 wrote:I finally got my T-Shirts designed. Buy this one of the Riemann Hypothesis or this Finnegans Wake-themed one. Since it's the first/last sentence, you can wear it either backwards or forwards.
ahem :(

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

pharazon wrote:
dhokarena56 wrote:I finally got my T-Shirts designed. Buy this one of the Riemann Hypothesis or this Finnegans Wake-themed one. Since it's the first/last sentence, you can wear it either backwards or forwards.
ahem :(
Riemann Hypothesis.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Drawing of an absurdly narrow one-bay house, inspired by some very narrow houses I saw on Google Map views of some Polish cities. They looked no wider than ten feet, so I tried drawing one of comparable dimensions, perhaps as something the Terps might use. It seems pretty incredible, though, even considering Terpish urbanism, so I don't know if this would really show up in my conworld. Something tells me that I'm either misinterpreting the photos of those houses or they reflect some very specific circumstances.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

small lots

ps watch more Full House
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Drydic Guy wrote:small lots
Well yes, I figured that much, but I have not figured out why anyone would have a ten-foot wide lot on which to build their house. I understand that people try to make the most of land in dense cities, but it seems odd that they would divide it into such narrow lots.

I tried designing a floor plan, also in sketch-up, and found the biggest problem seems to come from the stairs. They end up taking up so much space that the middle of each floor becomes too narrow to use for much besides a hallway for getting from one end of the stairs to another. In some ways the design actually becomes less efficient than a less compacted house of similar square footage because the stairs eat up so much of each floor.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Ilian Visa Sticker B.jpg
Ilian Visa Sticker B.jpg (91.86 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
Mini project.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

@ Eddy: Two words, spiral staircase.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Ashroot wrote:@ Eddy: Two words, spiral staircase.
That could work, although the house ends up so narrow that the winding staircase leaves little space on the side through which to move. Perhaps I should experiment with housing clusters analogous to pueblos. Something like that might look really cool in a modern urban context.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Eddy wrote:
Ashroot wrote:@ Eddy: Two words, spiral staircase.
That could work, although the house ends up so narrow that the winding staircase leaves little space on the side through which to move. Perhaps I should experiment with housing clusters analogous to pueblos. Something like that might look really cool in a modern urban context.
You can have staircases which have minuscule landings. If each staircase is 2 feet wide, then with a tiny landing you could stack two together and they could steeply climb up the entire building and only take up 4 feet in width.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

vampireshark wrote:
Ilian Ballot.png
Ilian IJD1000 Stamp.jpg
Guess the purposes of these.
Is that what the Hungarians use as a Lorem Ipsum text?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Viktor77 wrote:You can have staircases which have minuscule landings. If each staircase is 2 feet wide, then with a tiny landing you could stack two together and they could steeply climb up the entire building and only take up 4 feet in width.
Only two feet wide? I didn't know stairs could get that narrow.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Eddy wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:You can have staircases which have minuscule landings. If each staircase is 2 feet wide, then with a tiny landing you could stack two together and they could steeply climb up the entire building and only take up 4 feet in width.
Only two feet wide? I didn't know stairs could get that narrow.
I've seen one, actually, in an old famous house built around 1900 open for tourists. They didn't let us go up that staircase for fire-code reasons, but...
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Here, Eddy, is a proposed layout. The house is actually quite big, 1600 square feet, and no room is under 10 feet by 10 feet. When you consider the house's depth is 40 feet, you actually have some space to work with. This house has two baths five bedrooms plus an open study, a living area, a dining room, a kitchen with pantry and plenty of storage (especially if it has a basement, though that would alter the floorplans to add the basement stairs.) The stairs are indeed 2 feet wide.
EddysTinyFlat.png
EddysTinyFlat.png (35.16 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Last edited by Viktor77 on Fri May 20, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

If I was doing it I'd try and give all the bedrooms some light, so not in the centre of the two middle floors, and I'd get the staircases pointing in the right direction – they have to alternate between floors because one floor's up staircase becomes the next floor's down staircase. You could also stack them on top of each other; you don't need to have two next to each other, which would waste valuable space.

Also, you've got the pantry facing out the (back? front?) of the house - you don't really want that as there would be too much heat from a window which would better serve the kitchen.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

finlay wrote:If I was doing it I'd try and give all the bedrooms some light, so not in the centre of the two middle floors, and I'd get the staircases pointing in the right direction – they have to alternate between floors because one floor's up staircase becomes the next floor's down staircase. You could also stack them on top of each other; you don't need to have two next to each other, which would waste valuable space.

Also, you've got the pantry facing out the (back? front?) of the house - you don't really want that as there would be too much heat from a window which would better serve the kitchen.
Ok, took Finlay's advice. Here's a revised version. He's right that by code each bedroom must have a window. Also the staircases work fine.
EddysTinyFlat.png
EddysTinyFlat.png (33.82 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Viktor77 wrote:Here, Eddy, is a proposed layout. The house is actually quite big, 1600 square feet, and no room is under 10 feet by 10 feet. When you consider the house's depth is 40 feet, you actually have some space to work with. This house has two baths five bedrooms plus an open study, a living area, a dining room, a kitchen with pantry and plenty of storage (especially if it has a basement, though that would alter the floorplans to add the basement stairs.) The stairs are indeed 2 feet wide.
Well the sketch-up model isn't quite that wide or deep, only about 8 by 30 feet really since that looks like the size of the Polish houses in the photograph I linked. Although again, I could be misinterpreting that photo to suggest that the units are actually incredibly slender houses when perhaps they are merely bays of one large house or something. Remember, after all, that the typical Terpish household has a rather small family size (like any post-industrial society) and no servants or staff, so they don't really need half a dozen bedrooms or anything. Following the Japanese idea of making each room multi-purposed (with partitions, storable furniture, and so forth), they could probably get pretty far with merely a couple rooms large enough to set up cots and such.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Eddy wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Here, Eddy, is a proposed layout. The house is actually quite big, 1600 square feet, and no room is under 10 feet by 10 feet. When you consider the house's depth is 40 feet, you actually have some space to work with. This house has two baths five bedrooms plus an open study, a living area, a dining room, a kitchen with pantry and plenty of storage (especially if it has a basement, though that would alter the floorplans to add the basement stairs.) The stairs are indeed 2 feet wide.
Well the sketch-up model isn't quite that wide or deep, only about 8 by 30 feet really since that looks like the size of the Polish houses in the photograph I linked. Although again, I could be misinterpreting that photo to suggest that the units are actually incredibly slender houses when perhaps they are merely bays of one large house or something. Remember, after all, that the typical Terpish household has a rather small family size (like any post-industrial society) and no servants or staff, so they don't really need half a dozen bedrooms or anything. Following the Japanese idea of making each room multi-purposed (with partitions, storable furniture, and so forth), they could probably get pretty far with merely a couple rooms large enough to set up cots and such.
No, those are probably individual homes. There's a 9.5 X 30 foot house in NYC. It's uncommon but hardly unheard of.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Viktor77 wrote:
finlay wrote:If I was doing it I'd try and give all the bedrooms some light, so not in the centre of the two middle floors, and I'd get the staircases pointing in the right direction – they have to alternate between floors because one floor's up staircase becomes the next floor's down staircase. You could also stack them on top of each other; you don't need to have two next to each other, which would waste valuable space.

Ok, took Finlay's advice. Here's a revised version. He's right that by code each bedroom must have a window. Also the staircases work fine.
Well... the building code doesn't necessarily apply to one's conworld, I just think it's a good idea (also it's not a problem with the top floor because you can have skylights).

Here's what I think you need to do with the staircases, if you're not going to just stack one on top of the other. Basically, you free up a lot of space on the floorplan by recognising that only half of the staircase needs to be on each floor (the other half is on the floor above/below. In contemporary houses we usually put a cupboard under the stairs (think Harry Potter), after all, in order to fill this space. With that in mind, what you've labelled as a "misc room" on the first floor can now become a more roomy bedroom, and the bedroom on the second floor can expand to fill the space.
EddysTinyFlat.png

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Good idea. The reason I didn't do that was because these are steep staircases at 12 feet long by 2 feet wide and need to rise 8 or so feet. If you cut them off you have to duck to get up the staircase which could be dangerous.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

What? well a) it's not exactly the safest of houses anyway and b) you're basically going to have to do it that way anyway, aren't you?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

This is the floor plan I originally intended for the house, which has much less space than Viktor assumed for his own drawing. I didn't bother with closets and pantries as separate rooms, assuming instead that the Terps would simply lack the voluminous wardrobes of the Victorian bourgeoisie and probably visit the market each day for food supplies. The house has three living spaces, one labeled the living room and the others the bedrooms, although all three could probably serve as living and sleeping spaces. I think the bathroom could use some fiddling to make more room for both a bath and toilet and such.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Normally baths are put close to kitchens in order to minimise the amount of plumbing needed. Also, I can't really imagine running up three flights of stairs every time I had to take a whiz. Do they use chamber pots?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

linguoboy wrote:Normally baths are put close to kitchens in order to minimise the amount of plumbing needed. Also, I can't really imagine running up three flights of stairs every time I had to take a whiz. Do they use chamber pots?
Good point, although shifting the bath to the second floor means putting the living and bedrooms up to the third and forth floors which seems rather impractical, even by the standards already set here. This is shaping up to be the weirdest fictional house this side of that Robert Heinlein short story. It really makes me wonder how those Polish houses work.