Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by lctrgzmn »

http://cl.ly/3b1T2P2n442v0d421j2O

Making a matryoshka. Illustrator is such a bitch sometimes.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

lctrgzmn wrote:http://cl.ly/3b1T2P2n442v0d421j2O

Don't you have the option to just make half of it, and then mirror it (if that's what you're complaining about)?
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

Skomakar'n wrote:
lctrgzmn wrote:http://cl.ly/3b1T2P2n442v0d421j2O

Don't you have the option to just make half of it, and then mirror it (if that's what you're complaining about)?
Lol no, that's not what I'm bitching about. It's more of capturing the right feel without straying too far away from what a genuine matryoshka would look like. Not to mention I've spent years on photoshop, and illustrator works much differently -_-
If I were going for symmetry, I'd have done that. I've made other matryoshki before, both made in a much quicker manner, but I'm going for imperfect and hand-drawn (I used my tablet), and mirroring would prove to be kind of counterproductive in this situation.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

blank stare II wrote:... when I was first learning english letters in school, I got b and d confused, as well as q and p.
When my god-daughter was in Kindergarten she looked at M and W and said "They're the same".
I pointed out that L and V are also "the same"; and then went on to "little" letters and pointed out b, d, p, & q.
She understood what I meant, and was fore-warned against the day it might become important.

(Since no-one was teaching her Greek letters I didn't mention that Σ is anything like M and W, nor that Γ nor Λ are anything like V and L.)

So, I see what you mean, too.

But;
Are there lots of things like that in your script?

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

The 'featural' description of the script can be most easily explained by referring to our letters p and b, and pretending they follow the rules of the conscript I posted about.
They are both bilabial stops; since they have the same place of articulation, they have the same symbol on the line(pretty much o if you look at it)
they are only distinguished by voicing; the unvoiced has the vertical below the line and the voiced has it above.
By this logic, a voiced bilabial fricative would look like þ
If the entire roman alphabet showed POA by the main component of the symbol, and voicing, fricativity, nasality, etc by descender position/length and other similarly confusing conventions, it would work like the conscript.
Last edited by blank stare II on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

blank stare II wrote:I may be overestimating the difficulty of reading the script(I haven't used it enough yet to be able to read it as well as I write it) but this much I do know; when I was first learning english letters in school, I got b and d confused, as well as q and p. The reasons I had trouble distinguishing these letters would be the same reasons my conpeople would have trouble with their script, or so I fear.
Heh, that reminds me of when I was in kindergarten and learning to write, I would write left to right like you're supposed to, but I wrote all the letters backwards (yay left-handedness!). That would probably get confusing really fast :P

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

blank stare II wrote:The 'featural' description of the script can be most easily explained by referring to our letters p and b, and pretending they follow the rules of the conscript I posted about.
They are both bilabial stops; since they have the same place of articulation, they have the same symbol on the line(pretty much o if you look at it)
they are only distinguished by voicing; the unvoiced has the vertical below the line and the voiced has it above.
By this logic, a voiced bilabial fricative would look like þ
I see what you mean.

blank stare II wrote:If the entire roman alphabet showed POA by the main component of the symbol, and voicing, fricativity, nasality, etc by descender position/length and other similarly confusing conventions, it would work like the conscript.
As I understand it most featural scripts are considered to have such a flaw; so you're certainly not the only one to think it might be confusing. It's just that I personally don't have a feeling of confusion.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Whee for boredom.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

blank stare II wrote:Just as an example
TomHChappell wrote:
blank stare II wrote:Just like Tolkien's elves, my conpeople will be plagued by dyslexia :)
Why? Are there lots of mirror-image pairs, or pairs of characters one of which is a rotation of the other? Or, pairs that differ only in size?
Each place of articulation has its own main component; it is the vertical line which distinguishes things like voicing, fricativity, nasality, etc. Just as an example, <t> and <d> are distinguished by the vertical stroke being above the line(in the case of unvoiced) or below the line(in the case of voiced). <s> and <z> have the same main component as <t> and <d> because they have the same POA; only the vertical is different.

I may be overestimating the difficulty of reading the script(I haven't used it enough yet to be able to read it as well as I write it) but this much I do know; when I was first learning english letters in school, I got b and d confused, as well as q and p. The reasons I had trouble distinguishing these letters would be the same reasons my conpeople would have trouble with their script, or so I fear.
That's pretty much Hangul in a nutshell, only one step further.
Koreans aren't dyslexic.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Io wrote:
vampireshark wrote:Oh, and I took the old poster, cleaned it up a bit, and here it is now:
!!!!

The Duke of Nuke, he has totally vanished! Would it be too creepy to send him an sms?!
I'm still here, lurking a bit less these days. (Thanks for the text anyways :) ) I do like seeing those notes - not only are they very pretty but they satisfy my vanity!
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

More money for another concountry. Whee.

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

pls to gloss Iljomotjoqojomowhatsit

i liked that one

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Jar Jar Binks wrote:pls to gloss Iljomotjoqojomowhatsit

i liked that one
Okay, fair enough.

Iljómócĩmoqõtdómjõ
[ˈɪ.ljɔː.mɔːˌʃɪ̃.mɔ.t͡ʃɔ̃tˌdoː.mjɔ̃]
yljá-má-cĩmo-qõ-t-dómjõ
Ilia.GEN.person."for".IND-PL.country
"Country for the Ilian People"*

I translate it as "Ilian People's Republic", partly because of the two ways one can consider cĩmoqõt: is it modifying "country" on its own, or is it a part of iljómócĩmoqõt which, in turn, modifies "country"? From a historical standpoint, one might lean towards the latter, but there are equally valid reasons for the former interpretation.

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

<3

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I should figure out Quazian banknotes...

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

I like those, vamp. Architecture seems to be a common theme among fantasy banknotes. I did some for my conworld a few weeks ago, and only the 200 one is purple, as yours. How do you decide on banknote colors? At random?
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

vampireshark wrote:Image
where did you get legion's picture
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Drydic Guy wrote:where did you get legion's picture
Excuse me? That's me on the ID card; not anybody else. And I've not seen a picture of Legion recently, so I don't know what he really looks like.
Izambri wrote:I like those, vamp. Architecture seems to be a common theme among fantasy banknotes. I did some for my conworld a few weeks ago, and only the 200 one is purple, as yours. How do you decide on banknote colors? At random?
Well, for me, architecture, flowers, and animals are preferred because I don't like using pictures of people without their explicit consent. As for colors, the decision as to what color goes with what banknote is generally random... I mean, for the Telèmor notes, I chose a green 5 and a blue 10 because of the Deutsche Mark, the color scheme of the 200 from the Bosnian Mark, and the 100 was purple because, at the time I made it, I wasn't considering using a 200... but the other colors were at random. With these notes, I wanted colors that were nice and visually distinct, and, apparently, purple is one of the hardest colors to copy (according to Sveriges Riksbank), which is why it went on the 200 Shilling note, the highest-valued note.

And do post pictures! I love seeing money and stuff that other people have come up with. For one, it gives me ideas... I have lots of other countries who need money. And also because it's one of the things that fascinates me.

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

In 2001 I created an alphabet based on the runes I saw in the Fellowship of the Ring, which had just come out. I have used it ever since. This is the first chapter of Saint John.

I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

vampireshark wrote:
Izambri wrote:I like those, vamp. Architecture seems to be a common theme among fantasy banknotes. I did some for my conworld a few weeks ago, and only the 200 one is purple, as yours. How do you decide on banknote colors? At random?
Well, for me, architecture, flowers, and animals are preferred because I don't like using pictures of people without their explicit consent. As for colors, the decision as to what color goes with what banknote is generally random... I mean, for the Telèmor notes, I chose a green 5 and a blue 10 because of the Deutsche Mark, the color scheme of the 200 from the Bosnian Mark, and the 100 was purple because, at the time I made it, I wasn't considering using a 200... but the other colors were at random. With these notes, I wanted colors that were nice and visually distinct, and, apparently, purple is one of the hardest colors to copy (according to Sveriges Riksbank), which is why it went on the 200 Shilling note, the highest-valued note.
Didn't know purple was so hard to copy. Good I use it for the 200, then. :)
And do post pictures! I love seeing money and stuff that other people have come up with. For one, it gives me ideas... I have lots of other countries who need money. And also because it's one of the things that fascinates me.
They're a little big to be post here, specially the 100, 200, 500 and 1000 banknotes. The latest entry in my blog shows all of them (link in my signature).
By the way, the name of the coin is aras (related to Megadelanean ard–ar– and art–al– "silver", from arad– "bright", "shiny white"). There are 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 banknotes. The color for 5 is grey because is the color of silver; the other colors were chosen quite randomly, but the most important was to separate similar colors (for example, red and orange).
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Finished up a sprite I started ages ago and then was too lazy to go on with at the time:

Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Zombie snowman.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Lithray wrote:I knit. I can purl, and make a cable with the best of them. I have made sweaters, mittens, afghans, potholders...

I don't have any pictures. Though I could never figure out which seemed more gay.
I learned to knit from a friend two weeks ago, and I finished my first actual project two days ago (I just made little practice patches before that).

It felt fantastic being the only guy in the yarn section. It's like feminism for men.

Here's a picture of me wearing it. I think you should be able to see it. My Facebook privacy settings aren't too strict
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3982_n.jpg
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

din wrote:It's like feminism for men.
That makes it sound like a cologne.

FEMINISM
For Men
~By Calvin Klein~
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

din wrote:
Lithray wrote:I knit. I can purl, and make a cable with the best of them. I have made sweaters, mittens, afghans, potholders...

I don't have any pictures. Though I could never figure out which seemed more gay.
I learned to knit from a friend two weeks ago, and I finished my first actual project two days ago (I just made little practice patches before that).

It felt fantastic being the only guy in the yarn section. It's like feminism for men.

Here's a picture of me wearing it. I think you should be able to see it. My Facebook privacy settings aren't too strict
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3982_n.jpg
Now replace that sweater with one that you made yourself!

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.