Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by Skomakar'n »

Astraios wrote:Otmog and HILHLHILIHLI? Weird names...
Second one to say Otmog you are. :D The names are Alvas and Ṇeigi.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

I wrote a (really) short story last night. I probably should have been writing an essay for school, but… yeah. Here it is:

Code: Select all

"I'm going crazy," he said, knowing that talking to himself wasn't helping his case. "How could I forget? How can I even remember it? I mean, it's been a whole year. But why would I even think…" It was a balmy night in an autumn that seemed unable to decide whether or not it was going to yield to winter; the moon shone an eerie orange, and a light mist lay over the sleeping world. Jack had entered the room of the house he'd been living in since his family's move a year past, and looked out the window to make out, through the greenery outside, the ordinary lights of windows and street-lamps he would have expected on his street– that is, the one he had been born, had lived on until a year ago, the one that was hundreds of miles away.
	He quickly realized his mistake; it was still the new street, and he had confused a wide driveway for a road, the stones of the house it led to for those of a familiar corner house, and the light from another home for a well-known street-lamp. Still, it was a shock to see so familiar a sight when he'd thought it well behind him, and for a moment Jack stood reminiscing about his old home, recalling details that he hadn't thought of in months. It really was amazing, with the tree blocking most of the view, how easy it was to imagine he had never moved, that he was still in his birthplace, still in a place he had friends. Of course, he had friends here, but nothing like the deep-running running camaraderie he'd shared back home– they had the occasional joke that went back to the second grade, the kind which, here, between his new friends, would only make him feel more left out. It was so easy to imagine he was still there; he could practically see the door of the house that had been across the street from him.
	And then that door opened. Will ran out, holding a basketball, and started to dribble. George soon joined him, and then Tom, the orange moon giving their faces a strange aspect. Jack couldn't help it; so what if it was late at night, he had to go see if those really were his friends. They looked so real. He didn't want to wake his parents. They'd want to know what he was doing, going outside at this time of night; he knew he wouldn't be able to explain– not to his sister, either, and her room was just across the landing from his. His course of action was obvious; he'd arrived at it before even thinking of going out the front door. He reached down, unlatched the window, and clambered out onto the tree. From there he shimmied down to the ground– his room, luckily, wasn't quite a full story up– and walked across the yard toward the road. Except that now it was the right yard, HIS yard, the one he'd walked through so many times before. The street around him was his street too, the houses and trees familiar; the chilly night air was just like at home.
	Closer to the ground, the mist was thicker, and Jack had a hard time seeing where his friends were, but he could here the sound of their basketball thudding against the pavement, and he headed for it eagerly, though it took him a little while; he didn't recall the street being this wide. Now he could see three figures emerging from the mist; there was the silhouette of Will's ever-present hoodie, the shape of lanky Tom's enormous head of hair, and the sound of George's voice, joking with the other two. As Jack drew closer still, George noticed him and pointed him out to the others. As the three of them turned to face him, silence fell; Tom was holding the ball, and none of them were speaking, just staring at him, bathed in the ruddy light of the moon. The shadows in their faces seemed deeper than Jack had remembered; in fact, he could barely make Will's out under his hood. Suddenly nervous, though he couldn't say just why, he asked, "Hey guys, what're you doing around here?"
	"Whaddaya mean?" said George, looking around. "We live here, man." Jack thought about this for a moment, and had to admit that he had a good point. Why shouldn't they be there?
	"Well then, what'm I doing here?" he asked, shivering slightly in the night's cold.
	"You live here too," answered Tom, "Remember, we've kinda grown up together, y'know?" Jack shivered again, but not from the cold this time. The voice hadn't been Tom's; it had been the same as George's, which, he now realized, was slightly off. A strange sense of foreboding welled up inside him.
	"Wh-what's going on here, g-guys? What's u-u-up?" He asked with a stutter, glancing back toward his house, wondering if he should run back inside– something seemed very wrong. But behind him, just visible through the mist, stood not the house he had come from, but his old house, the one that should have been hours away, the one that was still unsold, dark and uninhabited, and suddenly the lights in all the other houses were extinguished, and the street-lamps went out, and the only light came from the moon.
	"Well, YOU were up," said Will, in a different voice than George and Tom, one that belonged to no one Jack knew, one that made his hair stand on end. "But you decided to come down. Bad decision on your part, mate, coming out the window." And he pulled back his hood, and Jack screamed, and high above the moon shone orange.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

I just made an ID card for my con-country. Initially I put my own picture and details on it, but decided against it. So I mixed the pictures of two random people into one new fictional person, haha! I suppose a fictional person is better suited to be a citizen of a fictional country.

Tell me what you think!
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

It reminds me that I'll need to get a new ID card this summer and that it'll be one of those biometric check-card things, too :( However, it'll probably be not even half as pretty.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

din wrote:Tell me what you think!
A man with too much botox! XD

The card looks good, but I would redo the logo on the upper right corner, and the chip, to make it look more metallic.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

din wrote:I just made an ID card for my con-country. Initially I put my own picture and details on it, but decided against it. So I mixed the pictures of two random people into one new fictional person, haha! I suppose a fictional person is better suited to be a citizen of a fictional country.
[...]
Tell me what you think!
As one who does this stuff a lot, it looks great! Very realistic, very secure... as a sidenote, though, normally the chip goes on the reverse of the card. Also, yeah, the logo at the upper right looks a bit out-of-place... I'd say to change the color a bit to make it go more with the scheme of the card or make it an Optically Varying Ink device.
Guitarplayer wrote:It reminds me that I'll need to get a new ID card this summer and that it'll be one of those biometric check-card things, too :( However, it'll probably be not even half as pretty.
The new German ID doesn't look too bad, but, yeah, this one looks prettier. But the new German Aufenthaltstitel is much worse than the old one...
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I've been joining in with the identity documents game lately. So voici the front cover of a passport from the Sokor Rep., which isn't really very great because the emblem and the text were a nightmare to work with and I got frustrated, but anyway:
Attachments
passport.jpg
passport.jpg (112.91 KiB) Viewed 3424 times

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Nice, Astraios! :D

---

I just finished uploaded the two new episodes of the series of extremely short movies in my conlang that a friend and I do every once in a while.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38508&p=949047#p949047
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Skomakar'n wrote:Nice, Astraios! :D
xD Thanks. It could definitely use some more work on it though.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Izambri wrote:
din wrote:Tell me what you think!
A man with too much botox! XD

The card looks good, but I would redo the logo on the upper right corner, and the chip, to make it look more metallic.
Haha! I didn't 'add' much to their faces, I just mixed them. They both had pretty smooth skin, I suppose. It feels odd, creating fake pictures like that, by the way. I'll try to make him look more human. The chip actually came from a manufacturer's website, but perhaps I could replace it by an actual chip from a picture. My intention was to create a 'sample' of what the ID would look like, rather than creating a fake picture of such an ID, though.
vampireshark wrote:As one who does this stuff a lot, it looks great! Very realistic, very secure... as a sidenote, though, normally the chip goes on the reverse of the card. Also, yeah, the logo at the upper right looks a bit out-of-place... I'd say to change the color a bit to make it go more with the scheme of the card or make it an Optically Varying Ink device.
Thanks! My Belgian ID has the chip on the front side, by the way. I agree with the logo, I suppose making it a safety device would not be a bad idea. I'll see what I can do.

-

I appreciate the feedback by the way.

-

(edit)

Comme ça?

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

I've taken the whole afternoon to create a plugin for Wordpress:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8026017/cb_gloss.php.txt

That's something rather abstractly creative, but hopefully useful. What it does is turning this:

into this:

I still need to document it, though, and maybe it needs some further refinement, so I haven't yet posted it to my blog. Thing is, I haven't found anything like this on the internet so far, even though the algorithm behind it is rather trivial. One thing this can't handle yet, for example, is to cram several words into one column if you haven't set a dividing character.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Most awesome work GP. Most awesome.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

And now I regret I have no blog. :D
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Guitarplayer wrote:I've taken the whole afternoon to create a plugin for Wordpress:
[...]
This... looks amazing. I will use this. A lot. :P

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Thanks for the feedback :P

Please wait a little, though, or use it only at your own risk, because it's not yet complete. E.g. when I tried to register the plugin with my online installation of Wordpress later today it would bork the RSS feeds and there was an error returned about some 300 unexpected characters when trying to register the plugin. I'll make a blog post when I'm ready.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

din wrote:Image
In one of my languages, rītā means name!

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

OK, here's my documentation after some bugfixing while writing it (there's always so much stuff you only notice when you thought you were done …). Drydic and sano have already told me on IRC that they find it understandable. Anyone else got any questions left?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8026017/README.pdf

EDIT: Mkay, since nobody objected, see http://benung.nfshost.com/archives/1721

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Guitarplayer wrote:OK, here's my documentation after some bugfixing while writing it
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8026017/README.pdf
http://benung.nfshost.com/archives/1721
Nice, and clear. :) 8)

din wrote:I just made an ID card for my con-country.
http://cpanel03.blueyellow.nl/~neuteboo ... d_card.png
Also nice!

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Guitarplayer wrote:I've taken the whole afternoon to create a plugin for Wordpress
Yummy.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Skomakar'n wrote: In one of my languages, rītā means name!
It's also a colloquial word for 'ass' (as in 'buttocks') in Slovene. :P

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Also a shortened name in Russian, which, written in cursive Cyryllic, resembles Puma.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Ritta means to call out, (to) cry, or name' in Tormiott, but glad to see the word is in good company :P

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Fēlēs wrote:Also a shortened name in Russian
Also English, in which it's not only short for Margaret(/Margarita), but also an actual name (possibly derived from there originally, but nonetheless, you can find "Rita" on some birth certificates)

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Rik
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rik »

I redesigned my poetry website from back end to front face ...

http://www.rikweb.org.uk/poems/index.php
(still in beta, bits like the social apps buttons need to be added)

... who said jQuery ain't fun!?