Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I honestly don't care a whole lot about large and fancy houses, myself. I would feel satisfied with a small studio apartment, so long as I had plenty of interesting stuff to do outside it. I certainly wouldn't want a house so big I had to hire servants to maintain it. But then again I spent much of my childhood in a 60 x 15 foot trailer.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Skomakar'n wrote:I finally got my new monitor today, so I was creative enough to put it up, alongside with its twin, onto the wall! My room is starting to look pretty damn nice!
You have enough monitors there? It's beginning to look like the FBI. :P

Speaking of new things, I just got new speakers. They're a pair of active Behringer speakers rated at 400W. They have a great sound even with the lows and I haven't been able to get them to clip yet haha. Once I get my sub my basement will be rocking. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Eddy wrote:I honestly don't care a whole lot about large and fancy houses, myself. I would feel satisfied with a small studio apartment, so long as I had plenty of interesting stuff to do outside it. I certainly wouldn't want a house so big I had to hire servants to maintain it. But then again I spent much of my childhood in a 60 x 15 foot trailer.
Nah. I lived in a big house with three floors and big garden with lots and lots of fruits and berries and stuff like that, for six years, and I still could prefer to live small. I would have to have some kind of outside, like at least a balcony (I currently have a balcony in my room, and I love it), but I wouldn't need much more than a kitchen, a bathroom and a bedroom, and a living room would only be needed for the sake of any guests, and to get some environmental change every once in a while, after sitting in the bedroom a lot. I'd actually love to live in a cabin.
Viktor77 wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:I finally got my new monitor today, so I was creative enough to put it up, alongside with its twin, onto the wall! My room is starting to look pretty damn nice!
You have enough monitors there? It's beginning to look like the FBI. :P
Haha. I'd love at least one more, by the window, but I don't really need it. At least not for now. Never too many monitors, though!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Eddy wrote:I honestly don't care a whole lot about large and fancy houses, myself. I would feel satisfied with a small studio apartment, so long as I had plenty of interesting stuff to do outside it. I certainly wouldn't want a house so big I had to hire servants to maintain it. But then again I spent much of my childhood in a 60 x 15 foot trailer.
I, too, could survive in a small house, my current is only around 1500 square feet, but I'm quite the megalomaniac so my plans are to start off with a home around 3000 square feet (double parlor, dining room, kitchen 3 or 4 beds, two bath, three stories) and work my way up to around 5000+ (double parlor, dining room, library, bigger kitchen, 3 or 4 beds, servant's quarters, three floors, 3+ bath, etc.).
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

I would say that I have learned the limits of how small you can live in (as I beat you all, my personal space is limited to a cube of 8'x8'x8', and I don't live at my parents place; I do share a kitchen, a living room and a bathroom with 4 other people).

I think that someone can live fairly confortably with 50m² (around 550 sqft), as long as he can go outside and has tons to do outside home. (My parents have a home going over 3000 sqft, maybe even more; didn't like it, too big.)
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Miiil
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Miiil »

I wrote this, its not very good but...

I did it for school, I'll have to add on to it but for now, its just this:

Sam Zürer was a tall child, a very tall child. He had short, curly, black hair. It always stuck up in the mornings and took a lot to make stay down. His friend Max was not tall, more on the average side, and had longer hair. Apart from their height, they looked almost identical and could easily pass as siblings. They even had the same bright, olive green eyes, and high cheekbones.

It was Sam’s birthday when they came, the Egthls'nada. They looked like humans, but perfect in every way. They had perfect skin, no freckles or moles. They all had the same big eyes, and longish wavy hair. They were distinguishable, but not very. Noone knew where they came from, they just appeared; one at a time. Some people fell for their propositions to make humans look like them, perfect in every way. They got more than they bargained for, they lost their old memories and became one of them.

Max’s sister was one of these ‘people’. Sam and Max thought they had seen her again in the town, advertising the conversion, but they knew not to approach any of the invaders, even if they used to be relatives, they weren’t anymore. Now they were strangers, like the rest, only they hadn’t come from the homeland, wherever it was.

Feedback?
---INSERT SIGNATURE HERE---

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

it's not very good.
are you 10?

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

doesn't the board have some sort of "if you're under 13, piss off" filter? They usually do.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

It does. It's called "Pthug".
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

a mysterious spacetime blip happened.

also i figured it out. that filter is part of the normal registration process, but of course that's been bypassed

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

If memory serves, Milloniare is...12? 13?

The concept is interesting, Milloniare, but it lacks a decent hook. Launching into a static description of what your character looks like doesn't seize your audience, get them invested, and encourage them to keep reading.

Instead, consider starting with the important stuff. What if your first line was "It was Sam's birthday when the Egthls'nada came"? This introduces your main character while piquing the audience's interest with a question: who are the Egthls'nada? Granted, that's still a mediocre opening, because it only works if the audience is curious enough to wonder who the Egthls'nada are.

You might start even later, with Max's sister being brainwashed. From the very beginning, show us that there is something very wrong with Max's sister--that will invest the audience, because nobody likes to have a sister in trouble--and fill in the details about the Egthls'nada later, and about Sam's physical appearance only when it's really crucial.

Bunnycatch3r
Niš
Niš

Post by Bunnycatch3r »

Milloniare wrote:
Feedback?
I like the theme. It's similar to what Nathanial Hawthorne explored in his short stories-( look at Rappaccini's Daughter and The Birthmark). This notion that perfection is not so much an achievement as it is the consequence of a profound loss is interesting and instructive. Those characters of yours who've turned are no longer in possession of their memories. That's a start! What else have they been purged of- personality, moral judgment, passion, laughter, righteous fury? Everything we deem essentially human? As a means of contrasting this with the uncertainty and mystery of human nature I like the way you distinguish your human characters with hair that misbehaves, differences in height, etc. You might consider developing this further.
All the best.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

I'm exploring my worthless musical skills, trying to create an original piano piece that doesn't sound to terrible. For interested ears, here the current clip of 29 seconds is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m10jeo3hzty

sasasha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by sasasha »

Skomakar'n wrote:I'm exploring my worthless musical skills, trying to create an original piano piece that doesn't sound to terrible. For interested ears, here the current clip of 29 seconds is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m10jeo3hzty
That's nice, your musical skills are not worthless. You have some nice, clear, expressive harmonic ideas, and also a good conception of the feel of a lyrical melody. The chords are sometimes scrunchy and there sound to be quite a few parallel triads moving, which gives the music a nice modal, folky quality, with a balance between simple and less-usual harmony. At the moment it's very roving and doesn't really anchor you down to anything much, it more sort of just sounds nice. Try aiming for more structure - take bits of your melody and focus on them, repeat them, split them up into defined sections, develop them, decide what the tune is, and which bits of your chord progression are most important, and you'll feel the thing develop a shape.
If you were eager to learn how it might be to buy what surely would have turned out to be those sixteen cows I think I may have discussed with you (if indeed it was you whomwith I had that conversation), I'm afraid I shouldn't be able to help you.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

yeah, man, not bad

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Really? Thank you both.
I'll try to use your advice.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Skomakar'n wrote:Really? Thank you both.
amateur composers often try to do too much. Just stick with a theme and keep it simple. Your ninth symphony can wait :P

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Torco wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:Really? Thank you both.
amateur composers often try to do too much. Just stick with a theme and keep it simple. Your ninth symphony can wait :P
Haha. I'm not shooting that high with this one.

Miiil
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Miiil »

Thats nice, Skomakar'n.
Trailsend wrote:If memory serves, Milloniare is...12? 13?
12, good memory

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Thanks again.
Minor changes, and a few seconds added:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bltjq2qomnn

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Miiil
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Miiil »

I started on a song, I haven't put together the music, as in, its only in my head. I think I might call it Nemaye Pritulku. It means 'no refuge' in Ukrainian (or so says google translate)
Anyway, here are the first few lyrics:
Intro:
Why, oh
Why, oh
Why
Did this happen?
How, oh
How, oh
How
Can it be?
Verse 1:
This was never meant to happen
A fault of technology
And now we’re all sitting back
While nobody can breathe

Everybody out there
Is playing the blame game
And now it’s inevitable
That the apocalypse will
Chorus:
Come
But not because of magic
Because of all the things
We’re putting in the atmosphere

We’re burning down our home
Incinerating futures
What today’s people do
Tomorrow’s will suffer from
[piano solo]

Also, I saw this comment and thought I HAD to respond.
TomHChappell wrote:Create something and then refine it; don't get blocked up by trying to make it be perfect from the start.
Perhaps the Egthls'nrada should have taken that into account :mrgreen:

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

I don't know why, but this night I had a detailed dream which was a chick flick starring Lindsay Lohan. I wrote the plot and the scenes I remembered down when I woke up. My brain is a fucking marvel.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Skomakar'n wrote:I don't know why, but this night I had a detailed dream which was a chick flick starring Lindsay Lohan. I wrote the plot and the scenes I remembered down when I woke up. My brain is a fucking marvel.
A Swedish chick flick with Lindsay Lohan? Hurry, email it to Matt Damon now!
Falgwian and Falgwia!!