Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by vampireshark »

What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Nice bill, as usual.

And by the way, regarding the lack of purple on flags...this is surely because in the past, purple dye was very expensive and hard to come by. It was a luxury item, so maybe some nations didn't want to use it on their flags if they intended a lot of flags to be made.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

clawgrip wrote:And by the way, regarding the lack of purple on flags...this is surely because in the past, purple dye was very expensive and hard to come by. It was a luxury item, so maybe some nations didn't want to use it on their flags if they intended a lot of flags to be made.
I think it's less that (after all, most national flags are relatively recent inventions) than the need for visual clarity. Here is the spectrum of visible colours plotted according to the brightness sensitivity of the human eye:

Note how purple lags behind every other colour (including orange) in this respect. It's relatively easy to perceive under optimal conditions (such as a crisp image on a well-lit computer screen), but flags were originally designed to be recognisable under very adverse conditions (e.g. dark smoky battlefields) and are often displayed under suboptimal conditions still.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

sirdanilot wrote:
finlay wrote:Trams are also a massive sore point in my hometown, where the government has spent in the region of £2 billion building tracks and setting the damn things up - they were finally completed this year after about something like seven years. There are untold mutitudes of better things they could have spent the money on, including more buses, of course, but by the time there was a new local government that wasn't so much in favour of them, and there was an expensive mishap (the tracks didn't last an unusually cold winter and buckled everywhere), the project had progressed far enough that, counterintuitively, it would have cost the same amount or less to just finish it than it would have to scrap the whole thing, and I suppose now they've finished it they have a chance of making back some of the money.
What is your hometown, Tokyo? The idea of a tram in Tokyo seems a bit absurd to me. Then again, I heard the subways are filled to the brim there and people have to actually push the travellers inside to get the doors to close, so maybe it's just absolutely necessary to relieve the subway network?
nope, guess again

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

More stuff, in this case featuring a distinguished member of this message board.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Don't know whether you have mentioned that already, what is the era Telemor is using? And is it on our (or a parallel) Earth or somewhere else?

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

Are those birds the usual birds they look like, or are they stand-ins for alternate National Birds of Telemor Which Only Live Here?

Or are they the birds they look like but also live in and are popular in Telemor?

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Civil War Bugle wrote:Are those birds the usual birds they look like, or are they stand-ins for alternate National Birds of Telemor Which Only Live Here?

Or are they the birds they look like but also live in and are popular in Telemor?
They are the usual birds. Partly because I'm lazy, but also because, climate-wise and habitat-wise, it's not too farfetched.
hwhatting wrote:Don't know whether you have mentioned that already, what is the era Telemor is using? And is it on our (or a parallel) Earth or somewhere else?
I initially started it envisioned on a parallel-ish Earth, largely because I didn't want to wrangle with revisionism and the like. The era is based on a common calendar called the UIC, a calendar which initially starts with the collapse of an empire located within Telèmor.

Sorry if I'm not too clear with that, but I'm feeling extremely over-caffeinated and a bit strange as a result.

Also, more stuff:

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

KathAveara wrote:I've written a sentence in my recent IE-lang!

I'll be amazed if it's ever translated.

Edit: Excuse my apalling hieroglyph drawings. I can't draw.
I know it's been some time since this was posted, but I just stumbled across it and thought I'd take a crack at deciphering it. I'm guessing, based on the orientation of the glyphs, that this is written from left to right; I've been playing with PIE roots, and I have a guess at what the first word might be, though it's a bit wild:

The first four characters could, assuming I'm right about the orientation, represent the consonants ʕ-ɾ-kʰ-ʃ in Middle Egyptian. If the Indo-European language in question is an Anatolian or Anatolian-like language that preserves some of the laryngeals, this could just represent a reflex of PIE *h₃rḗǵs, "king." Am I anywhere close?

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Oh dear, I don't actually remember what it means, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing about any king.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

@vampireshark's banknotes: Muisto means like souvenir in Finnish. :)
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

KathAveara wrote:Oh dear, I don't actually remember what it means, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing about any king.
Alas, and here I thought I was being so clever. :P

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Qwynegold wrote:@vampireshark's banknotes: Muisto means like souvenir in Finnish. :)
Well, that's an added bonus: muișto, which I swiped from the German Muster, means "sample" or "specimen". But regardless.

More stuff:

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Hate doing multiple posts, but, seeing as how they're about two weeks apart, hopefully that's less unforgivable.

Anyways, over the course of my vacation, I've been busy with personal projects and a commission. Here are some results.

Telèmor 50 Franc banknote (now in polymer for increased durability)

Random Ilian postage stamps for 1st-class domestic (D19, up to 20g), larger 1st-class domestic (D42, up to 50g), international 1st-class (D30, up to 20g), and large letter (D120, up to 250g)

Ilian highway vignettes, because boredom.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Do you do coins? I do have my people use "Tokkul" which is made of obsidian... hmm but how do you carve in that...?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

אקֿמך ארש-הגִנו wrote:Do you do coins? I do have my people use "Tokkul" which is made of obsidian... hmm but how do you carve in that...?
With great care. Obsidian has a greater tendency to fracture rather than carve, but I'd imagine that if you do it just right...

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

Birds use coins called pence and paper money called jiri.
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Birdlang wrote:Birds use coins called pence and paper money called jiri.
I wouldn't call this "creativity" unless you tell us a little more about it.
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

אקֿמך ארש-הגִנו wrote:Do you do coins? I do have my people use "Tokkul" which is made of obsidian... hmm but how do you carve in that...?
I do do coins on occasion, though I much prefer banknotes.

And carving in a stone like that seems very difficult. In principle, though, you could just have it be a weight-based currency, especially if obsidian is somewhat of a finite resource.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

vampireshark wrote:
I do do coins on occasion, though I much prefer banknotes.

And carving in a stone like that seems very difficult. In principle, though, you could just have it be a weight-based currency, especially if obsidian is somewhat of a finite resource.
They already went past the "weight-based currency" phase well over 800 years ago (in their timeline) , now they use coins, but not paper currency...
We will use bronze tokkuls, silver tokkuls, and obsidian tokkuls, of increasing value...
On the other hand, I thought to use onyx and turquoise, but those are considered to be sacred and highly valued gems...
There is an entire mountain where obsidian can be found, more so than turquoise and onyx, but less so than copper, tin, silver, gold, and iron...
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

אקֿמך ארש-הגִנו wrote:They already went past the "weight-based currency" phase well over 800 years ago (in their timeline) , now they use coins, but not paper currency...
Keep in mind, however, that a lot of countries used some sort of weight-based currency standard until actually very recently. For example, until 1965, most US circulating coinage of value 10¢ or higher was minted in silver at a rate of $1 per ounce of silver. Similarly, the dollar was fixed to gold at a rate of $35 per ounce of gold until 1971 (Bretton Woods). So the weight-based phase, for some countries, lasted rather long.

That said, it might be more advantageous to have uniform shards of specified weights and the like. Uniformity is, after all, essential in monetary systems.

Also new stuff:

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Very nice notes and coins, vampireshark. Gives me a ... yen to learn the language of Telemor. Have you put anything on the 'net about it?

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

I dunno, I wanna use obsidian as a currency of some sort. But I don't know how a weight-based system will work...
"I say that cow is worth 8 tokkul..."

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

אקֿמך ארש-הגִנו wrote:I dunno, I wanna use obsidian as a currency of some sort. But I don't know how a weight-based system will work...
"I say that cow is worth 8 tokkul..."
Exactly as arbitrarily as modern currency.