Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by clawgrip »

It looks nice, though I might recommend altering the water texture a bit.

Today I designed the emblem of the Yabushionese Air Force (藪鹽藩國空軍 Yabushio-fangok-kūgun)

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

A flying lobster? ;-)
(Sorry, just my way of asking what kind of insect that is, I'm not good at recognising them.)

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

dragonfly?

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

A dragonfly. The dragonfly is symbolic for victory, and it flies, of course, making it a good symbol for the air force of my country (even though the country is so small that the air force is not capable of much).

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I think it's a beautiful symbol.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Thank you. This is how it appears on the air force ensign:

Maybe I should post this in the flags thread.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

clawgrip wrote:A dragonfly. The dragonfly is symbolic for victory, and it flies, of course, making it a good symbol for the air force of my country (even though the country is so small that the air force is not capable of much).
Thanks! And yes, it's beautiful.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Latest from my end.
(Apologies for the thread necromancy.)
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Development of the writing system of my most recent conlang, Methinat. The sentence is "I am called Kathryn"

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Only the top half of the image loaded because of this third-world country internet speed, but that part at least looks nice.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I can link imgur, if that helps.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

clawgrip wrote:Thank you. This is how it appears on the air force ensign:

Maybe I should post this in the flags thread.

Is that the Shiba or Hatakeyama clan mon?

(I've been playing Europa Universalis 4 as Uesugi-shi, and I thought I recognized it)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Panorama of Campus Martius, Detroit 1900 Recolored by myself. Took about 30 hours of painstaking work. Colors are as accurate as my research could indicate, some are educated guesses.

Here is the original in black and white.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

More stuff.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

OK, something I did a while ago right here on the ZBB, not today (or elsewhere), but still thought I'd mention it here anyway.

I wrote the following short story in Malayalam with an English translation and IPA transcription:
ആ പന്നഗത്തിൽ ഇരിക്കുന്ന ജീവി അപാരംതന്നെയായിരുന്നു. മാടക്കടയിൽനിന്ന് ഇയ്യിടെയായി മേടിച്ച മൂരിയിറച്ചി സ്പർദ്ധിച്ചു. പശ്ചാതലത്തിലെ ജല്പനം ഒരു അഗാഠ്യമായ സംഭാഷണമാണെന്ന് തോന്നിയതുപോലെ കേട്ടുകൊണ്ടിരുന്നു.
ആ മൃഗത്തിന് അരച്ചാൺ വയറായിരുന്നു. അതിനെ പിടിച്ചവർ കറുപ്പെടുത്ത് തീക്കട്ടയ്ക്കകത്ത് ചൂടാക്കുകയായിരുന്നു.
ഒരുത്തൻ ഒരു കഥ പറയായിരുന്നു. "...അപ്പോൾ തുരുത്തിയിൽ ചെന്നിട്ടൊരിട്ടാവട്ടം ഗ്രാമത്തിൽ താമസിക്കുന്ന കാരണവരെ ഞാൻ കണ്ട് തിമിംഗലനെയ്യ് മേടിച്ചു..."
"എടോ!" എന്ന് അതിന്റിടയിൽ മറ്റവൻ പറഞ്ഞു. "നമ്മൾ മേടിച്ചത് ഇയ്യിടെയായി പിടിച്ച കരിമ്പുലിക്കുട്ടി ഒന്നും തിന്നുന്നില്ലല്ലോ!"
"എന്നാ നീ പോയി ഒരു മാനിനെ പിടിച്ച് കരിമ്പുലിയുടെ പന്നഗത്തിൽ വയ്ക്ക്."
മറ്റവന് വാസ്തവത്തിൽ പോകണ്ടായിരുന്നു പക്ഷെ എന്നാലും ഒരു മാനിനെ പിടിച്ച് ഒരു തുരുത്തിയിൽ ആക്കിയിട്ട് കരിമ്പുലിക്കുട്ടിക്ക് കൊടുക്കാൻ നോക്കി. അവൻ പരുങ്ങിയിരിക്കുകയായിരുന്നു. കരിമ്പുലിക്കുട്ടിക്ക് വയറ്റുഭാഗ്യം വന്നു. മനുഷ്യൻ പന്നഗത്തിന്റെ വാതിൽ തുറന്നപ്പോഴേ ഒറ്റച്ചാട്ടത്തിൽ പുറത്തോടുകയും മാനിനെ പിടിക്കുകയും ചെയ്തു. ഉല്ലാസത്തോടെ കാട്ടിലേക്കോടി പോയി. മാളത്തിലേക്ക് മടങ്ങി. മാനിന്റെ കഴുത്ത് കടിച്ച് അതിന്റെ ചോര കുടിച്ചു. അതിന്റെ അപ്പയും അമ്മയും ഒക്കെ അവരുടെ കൊച്ചു കരിമ്പുലിക്കുട്ടിയുടെക്കൂടെ തിന്നു. വായിൽ നിറച്ചും ചോരയായിരുന്നു. എല്ലവർക്കും ഭയങ്കര സന്തോഷം വന്നു. ഇനിയും അവർ വിശന്നു പോവുകയില്ലല്ലോ!

[aː ˈpənnəgət̪ɪl iˈɾikʲʊn̪n̪a ˈd͡ʒiːʋi jəˈbaːɾəmd̪ənnejaːjrʊn̪n̪u]. [ˈmaːɖəkəɖejɪln̪ɪn̪n̪ ɪjjɪɖɛˈjaːj ˈmeːɖɪt͡ʃa ˈmuːɾijɛrət͡ʃi spərd̪ˈd̪ʱit͡ʃu]. [pəɕˈt͡ʃaːd̪ələt̪ɪle ˈd͡ʒəlpɛnəm ɔˈɾu əˈgaːɖʱjəmaːja səmˈbʱaːʃəɳəmaːɳɛn̪n̪ɯ t̪oːn̪n̪ijəd̪ɯˈboːle keːˈʈoːɳɖɪɾʊn̪n̪u].
[aː mrɯˈgət̪ɪn əɾəˈt͡ʃaːɳ ʋajˈraːjɾʊn̪n̪u]. [əˈd̪ɪne piˈɖit͡ʃəʋər kəˈrʊpeɖʊt̪ɯ ˈt̯iːkəʈɛˈkʲaːt̪ɯ t͡ʃuːˈɖaːkʊʋaːjɾʊn̪n̪u].
[ɔɾʊˈt̪ɛn ɔˈɾu kəˈt̪ʰa pəreˈjaːjɾʊn̪n̪u]. "[əˈpoːɭ t̪ʊɾʊˈt̪ijɪl t͡ʃɛn̪n̪ɪʈɔɾɪˈʈaːʋəʈəm ˈgraːmət̪ɪl ˈt̪aːməsikʲʊn̪n̪a ˈkaːɾəɳəʋəɾe ɲaːŋ gəɳˈɖɯ t̪iˈmiŋgələn̪ɛjjɯ ˈmeːɖit͡ʃu]..."
"[jɛˈɖoː]!" [jɛn̪n̪ əd̪ɪndɛɖejɪl mətˈtəʋɛm bərəɲu]. "[ˈn̪əmməɭ ˈmeːɖit͡ʃəd̪ ɪjjɪɖɛˈjaːj pɪˈɖɪt͡ʃa kəˈɾimbʊlikʊʈi ˈjɔn̪n̪ʊm t̪ɪnnʊn̪n̪ɪlləlˈloː]!"
"[jɛn̪ˈn̪aː n̪i poːj ɔˈɾu ˈmaːnɪne piˈɖit͡ʃɯ kəˈɾɪmbʊlijʊɖe ˈpənnəgət̪ɪl ˈʋɛkʲɯ]."
[mətˈtəʋɛnɯ ˈʋaːsʋət̪i poːɳˈɖaːjɾʊn̪n̪u pəˈʈʃe jɛn̪ˈn̪aːlʊm ɔˈɾu ˈmaːnɪne piˈɖit͡ʃ ɔˈɾu t̪ʊɾʊˈt̪ijɪl ˈaːkijiʈɯ kəˈɾimbʊlikʊʈikʲɯ kɔɖʊˈkaːn ˈn̪oːki]. [əˈʋɛn pəɾʊŋijiɾiˈkʲaːjɾʊn̪n̪u]. [kəˈɾimbʊlikʊʈikʲɯ ʋajtɯˈbʱaːgjəm ʋən̪ˈn̪u]. [mənˈʃɛn ˈpənnəgət̪ɪnde ˈʋaːd̪ɪl t̪ɔrən̪n̪əpəˈɻeː jɔttəˈt͡ʃaːʈət̪ɪl pɔrəˈt̪oːɖɯgejm ˈmaːnɪne piɖiˈkʲejm ˈt͡ʃejd̪u]. [ʊlˈlaːsət̪oːɖe kaːʈɪleːˈkoːɖi poːj]. [ˈmaːɭət̪ɪˈleːkɯ məˈɖəŋi]. [ˈmaːnɪnde kəˈɻʊt̪ɯ gəˈɖit͡ʃ əˈd̪ɪnde ˈt͡ʃoːɾa gʊˈɖit͡ʃu]. [əˈd̪ɪnde jəˈpeːm əmˈmeːm ɔˈke jəˈʋəɾɯɖe kɔˈt͡ʃɯ kəɾimbʊlikʊʈiːˈɖuːɖe ˈt̪ɪn̪n̪u]. [ˈʋaːjɪl n̪ɛˈrət͡ʃʊm ˈt͡ʃoːɾejaːjɾʊn̪n̪u]. [jɛlˈlaːrkʊm pʰajŋgəɾə sən̪ˈd̪oːʃəm ˈʋən̪n̪u]. [əˈʋər ʋɛˈɕən̪n̪ɯ ˈpoːʋ(ʊgej)ɪlləlloː]!

The animal remaining in that cage was simply unparalleled. It turned its nose up at the beef recently bought from the small shop. It kept listening to the babbling in the background as if it were a profound conversation.
That animal was thin as a rail. Those who captured it were heating opium in the embers of a fire.
One guy was telling a story. "...So then when I got to the island, I paid the black guy(?) who lived in a tiny village a visit and bought whale oil..."
"Hey!" the other guy said in the middle of that, "The mountain lion cub we recently caught isn't eating what we bought at all!"
"Then you go catch a deer and put it in the mountain lion's cage."
The other guy didn't really want to go, but he tried anyway to catch a deer, put it in a leather bag, and then give it to the mountain lion cub. He was cowering. The mountain lion cub was happy to see so much food. As soon as the man opened the cage door, it ran out and caught the deer in a single leap. Delighted, it ran into the forest. It returned to its burrow. It bit the deer's neck and drank its blood. Its parents both ate it with their little mountain lion cub. Their mouths were full of blood. All of them were very happy. They would no longer be hungry!

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Now that this thread has been brought back from undeath, I figure now's a good time to share stuff. (Bit older, but still.)

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

vampireshark wrote:Now that this thread has been brought back from undeath, I figure now's a good time to share stuff. (Bit older, but still.)
Heh, yeah, I can't seem to find like any other threads left in this part of the forum where I'd have anything to post. :?:

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

vampireshark wrote:Image
Why does it go 5-10-25, 1/2-1-5/2, and then 5-10-20? Why not 25 shillings for the last coin?

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

KathTheDragon wrote:Why does it go 5-10-25, 1/2-1-5/2, and then 5-10-20? Why not 25 shillings for the last coin?
Because the 20 shilling coin is a replacement for the 20 shilling banknote (which, in turn, was a bit of a recent addition to the monetary system).
(There also is a real-world example of this system: the Surinamese dollar.)

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

But then why not have 25 (and by extension, 250) shilling banknote in the first place?

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

KathTheDragon wrote:But then why not have 25 (and by extension, 250) shilling banknote in the first place?
You could as well ask why there are 20 USD or 20 Euro banknotes instead of 25 USD or 25 Euro. (And if you do ask, I don't know.)

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

hwhatting wrote:
KathTheDragon wrote:But then why not have 25 (and by extension, 250) shilling banknote in the first place?
You could as well ask why there are 20 USD or 20 Euro banknotes instead of 25 USD or 25 Euro. (And if you do ask, I don't know.)
Exactly. Monetary systems need not always be logical or consistent (see: the Soviet Ruble and its quite unusual sequence of kopeck denominations compared to the ruble denominations).

Also, in the old days when the US used gold and silver coins, this was a similar system, and part of that was because of a link to specie: for example, the $2.50 coin (quarter eagle) was a quarter of an ounce of gold. There wasn't a $25 coin because that would be 2.5 ounces of gold, which is a bit unusual (there was a $20 coin, the double eagle).

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

What program are using, VS? I'd like to design Falgwia's coins or Euro coin (I can't decide if Falgwia has the Euro or not).
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Viktor77 wrote:What program are using, VS? I'd like to design Falgwia's coins or Euro coin (I can't decide if Falgwia has the Euro or not).
I use Paint.NET. It's a free Photoshop-like program and works great; you can also obtain other plug-ins to customize it and add extra features.

If you do decide to go with Euros for Falgwia, though, be aware that there are some fairly strict design regulations for Euro coins. The long and the short is that the national sides must feature the 12-star ring surrounding the entirety of the other design elements of the coin, there needs to be an indication of the country explicitly marked on the coin (and the year), and there should be no repetition of the denomination on the reverse. Look more at the coins since '08 for what's "permitted".