What are you reading, watching and listening to?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

What are you reading, watching and listening to?

Post by finlay »

what it says on the tin

In books, I just finished reading Ender's Game today, which was good.
I'm also reading Stephen Fry's autobiography and Arthur C Clarke's The Fountains of Paradise, along with a pile of other books that I've acquired...

In films, I watched Burke and Hare yesterday, which was a bit cheesy and not particularly great. Before that it was The Social Network, which was good but not the masterpiece that it's made out to be in the reviews.

How about you?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Re: What are you reading, watching and listening to?

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I was reading The Limits of the City by Murray Bookchin and The Great Cat Massacre, whose author I don't recall this week. I have also been working my way through Capital by Marx, though it's a long and tough read. I haven't really watched anything of note other than Family Guy and Bleach. Same goes for listening.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

Tuesday night I churned through the Digger archive. With really, really good stories, I tend to buckle down and do the whole thing in one sitting, and...gaaaah. Such a good story.

Extremely good writing needs to come with warning labels or something...I've been in a funk for two days.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I've been seeing a lot of Law and Order lately

I'm reading SPSS output files, mostly... that and other job-stuff

I'm listening to Joan Manuel Serrat.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Reading: Unless you count my Real Analysis textbook, nothing. I have far too much to do to have time to read, unfortunately. The last book I finished was "Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea," which I thought was absolutely fascinating, and would definitely recommend. I definitely plan on reading it again at some point.

Films: The most recent films I've seen were Being John Malkovich, The Illusionist, The Hole, and Amreeka, all of which I thought were really good (The Illusionist being my favorite of those 4...the only one I had seen before this past weekend, when I watched them all, was The Hole...the one with Thora Birch and Kiera Knightley that no one I know has heard of). And I cannot wait until Harry Potter comes out next week, though I will have to wait until Thanksgiving Break to actually see it.

Listening: Always something different. I just leave my iTunes on iTunes DJ. My 10 most recently played songs were: OneRepublic - Stop and Stare; Beach Boys - Surfin' Safari; Bushido ft. Karel Gott - Für Immer Jung; Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight; B.o.B. ft. Bruno Mars - Nothin' On You; Bond - Hymn; Christina Stürmer - Nie Genug; Xavier Naidoo - Was Wir Alleine Nicht Schaffen; CoCo Lee ft. Yo-yo Ma - 月光爱人; The Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Book: "Makers" by Cory Doctorow

Film: Saw "Waiting for Superman". Tho informative, it was quite boring as far as cinematic merit goes.

Music: My waffles.fm account says I recently downloaded the albums Flashmob, Innerspeaker, Totem's Flare, and The Crystal Axis. So that.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

I don't much read books or "watch" anything. As for listening, I last night ran across the good old Ieva's Polka by Loituma (it's in Finnish, for the unaquainted) and goddammit it's been repeating itself in my head ever since. Continuously. The song does not stop when you turn it off, or at all.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Monica Ali, Brick Lane (for class)

Big Big Train, The Underfall Yard (album)

Books take longer to read than films take to watch and albums to listen. So am I supposed to list Brick Lane for the next 2 weeks?!

Declan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Declan »

Listening to The Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov, reading die Schachnovelle by Stefan Zweig and The Otherland Trilogy by Tad Williams. I'll start reading or listening to The Wheel of Time again soon, given that the second last one just came out (I really can't wait for it to be finished so I can just wrap that series up :P).

Music-wise, a lot of Paolo Nutini, and the Nielson Scott Joplin recordings I just got. A bit of Chris de Burg too.

In films, recent ones are Inception, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Social Network and Back to the Future. I liked them all, but Inception was not as mentally inspiring as it was made out to be, merely a very good and exciting action film with a plausible plot, not an astounding plot. I also seem to end up watching Criminal Minds, Fringe and the Mentalist every weekend, which is my two hours of series watching all condensed into a few hours!
[quote]Great wit and madness near abide, and fine a line their bounds divide.[/quote]

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Well, it's a bit banal, but here you are anyway:

Reading: this thread in the ZBB.

Watching: the text I type grow ever longer.

Listening to: the sounds of the fans in the server cabinet at work and my colleagues conversating.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

recursive reference is recursive

HandsomeRob
Lebom
Lebom

Post by HandsomeRob »

Now reading Iron Council by China Miéville (how the hell do you pronounce that anyway.)

Now watching a lot of basketball (college is just starting and the NBA's been going for a few weeks - I'm going to the Bucks/Lakers game on Tuesday)... also, a few movies I've seen recently include The Prestige (which I liked and was creepy, although the sci-fi in it caught me by surprise) and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (which I think was supposed to be an homage to old-fashioned Pulp comic books - it was extremely goofy and the special effects haven't held up so well).

Now listening to Pinkerton a lot, for some reason. Other bands I've heard lately that I like include Sleigh Bells, Janelle Monáe, and Band of Skulls.

-Rob

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

Reading? On Religion, Karl Marx & The Manifesto
Watching? The anime Bartender.
&& Finally! Listening? A bit of Nobuo Uematsu, & ROmantic Mode (If not for Mika Nakashima, Saori Saitou would be the love of my life.)
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delthayre »

I've been reading The Germanc Languages and The Governments of Europe by Frederic Austin Ogg. Both are quite good, although the former depresses me some because it reminds me how much of my always tenuous grasp of syntax I have lost, although that it presents its examples within its paragraphs, in rapid succession without glosses probably exacerbates that. The electronic book version The Governments of Europe seems to have some glitches that cause my reader to crash when I turn to particular pages, but it's a very interesting book that has ample, detailed information on European government in the late nineteenth and very early twentiether centuries, including particulars of legislative organization and local government, that I have struggled to find in convenient form elsewhere.

I haven't be watching anything exception, just my usual rotation of The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Community, 30 Rock, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and some other things. I can say that on November 21st, I will be sitting down to dutiful drink in what will surely be the very excellent season finale of The Venture Bros.. Tonight I shall likely watch an episode of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

I've been listening to many of my jazz albums in an erratic rotation. This has for the last month always included American Gypsy by Babik and today included A Night In Tunisia by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers and Pithecanthropus Erectus by Charles Mingus. I've also been listening to The Heart of Saturday Night by Tom Waits, which is the first of his albums that I've found no really extraordinary songs on. It's quite good, but besides the title song, nothing has caught my fancy the way that "Martha", "Downtown Train", "Small Change", "Innocent When You Dream" or any of my other favorites from elsewhere in his corpus have.
Last edited by Delthayre on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

Reading: Thucydides and Sophocles's Electra (in Greek), Vergil's Georgics (in Latin), and Madame Bovary. Brothers K. and Middlemarch, as well as about twenty other books that I'm in the middle of, are on hold.

Watching: I am catching up on The Wire and Mad Men, in various forms of gradually, and staying abreast of 30 Rock.

Listening to: I haven't actually had time to listen to much music lately. I did listen to a few random piano pieces of Grieg yesterday. But I've been singing (and therefore listening to, over and over again) Cornysh's Ave Maria, Byrd's Mass for Three Voices, John Harbison's Nunc Dimittis, Bruckner's Abendhimmel, Leonard Bernstein's Two Harvard Choruses, Beethoven's Ninth, and John Adams's On the Transmigration of Souls (the last two of which we have just begun rehearsing).
So take this body at sunset to the great stream whose pulses start in the blue hills, and let these ashes drift from the Long Bridge where only a late gull breaks that deep and populous grave.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

I've been reading a Dorothy Sayer's book on the train, and when it's finished I will probably go back to rereading Foucault's Pendulum, and/or maybe try and get ahold of the third ASoIaF book one more time.

I haven't watched TV in a long time, and haven't watched a movie in a while, either.

I have been running and analyzing the results of an experiment for the last two weeks, so what I have been listening to is recordings of 80 college students telling a voice recognition prompt that they want to register for "Economics 328: Booming Economies". I hear it in my sleep sometimes, too.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Reading: Some history books on battles, fighting techniques and Mycenaean warfare.

Watching: True Blood, third season.

Listening: Obi Wan Kenobi saying something about flaps and losing something.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Reading: One step behind [English translation of Steget efter] by Henning Mankell.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Radius Solis wrote:I don't much read books or "watch" anything. As for listening, I last night ran across the good old Ieva's Polka by Loituma (it's in Finnish, for the unaquainted) and goddammit it's been repeating itself in my head ever since. Continuously. The song does not stop when you turn it off, or at all.
Damn you. I have now been listening to that for the last six hours.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Radius Solis wrote:As for listening, I last night ran across the good old Ieva's Polka by Loituma (it's in Finnish, for the unaquainted) and goddammit it's been repeating itself in my head ever since. Continuously. The song does not stop when you turn it off, or at all.
Agreed. :D

David McCann
Sanci
Sanci

Post by David McCann »

Latest books: The enchantment emporium, by Tanya Huff, and The evolution of the soul, by Richard Swinburne.

Latest CDs: Des Knaben Wunderhorn, by Mahler, and Nothing was sweeter than the Boswell Sisters (my attempt to sing along with Heebie Jeebies should probably be illegal...)

Watching: not my thing.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

Reading: most recently, some articles on Nostratics.

Watching: I don't do that (either)

Lis'ning: currently Hidria Spacefolk — s/t
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

Reading: The Economy of Cities, by Jane Jacobs.
Watching: Nothing.
Listening to: Sorabji's Djami, Debussy's Preludes, and Ravel's Piano Concerto in D for the left hand (not at the same time).
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Listening to Cloudbusting by Kate Bush.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

I just watched Unstoppable this evening. Found it rather enjoyable,
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!