ZBB member photos, part 5. (Something for the weekend, sir?)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Hokulani
Sanci
Sanci

Re: ZBB member photos, part 5. (camel toes.)

Post by Hokulani »

vampireshark wrote:Loving the smile, though, looks like you got your picture taken in a place you were confortable.
Thanks :) I was very comfortable. I was trying on my dress and make-up for an upcoming event (which I didn't end up wearing) at my place. I'm seated on my bed and the pic was taken by my boyfriend at the time.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

figures, you seem happy and relaxed.

wait, wasn't I going to go to sleep?
damn you internet!

good night

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

Hokulani wrote:I guess I should put a more recent photo of myself.

I hope I look more or less the same. :)
Wow that looks so little how I remember you, especially your cheeks. I thought I remember them being more appley, but hey the last time I saw one of your SCAdian pictures was like 2008 or so, so the memory is rather fuzzy.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Shm Jay wrote:I think Torco will be able to explain what I mean better, but Astraios not in the slightest bit :wink:
Um... xD I can tell when a girl is good-looking or ugly, you know, just like any straight guy can tell when a guy is good-looking or ugly (however hard they try to pretend they can't). (And Hokulani, you are pretty.)

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Yeah, she's pretty in a very exotic way.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Torco wrote:What's wrong with just saying you find her cute, Jay?
Because I’m twice her age! And only twice her age rather than three times. "Ewww, blechhh, some middle-aged man finds me cute..." rather than "Awww, sweet, an old man finds me cute...". So I have to hide behind someone her age.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

chronism for the loose. I can find women twice my age hot and tell them and it just passes for "oooh, how cute".

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Yes, but you're you.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

dhokarena56 wrote:Yes, but you're you.
meaning I'm immune to coming off as creepy because of my irresistible charisma? I was as much of an awkward kid as anyone, growing up... I was fat, shy, overbearingly friendly and outright clunky. I just mean older women aren't creeped by younger men taking an interest, and younger guys don't [or do we?] get creeped out by older women taking an interest, so why do ounger chicks should get creeped by interest by older dudes? [which they only do if the dude doesn't have a lot of money, but...

*realizes he's rambling*
*hasn't had enough sleep*

Sooo... yeah, wanna see what I look like with no hair on my head?

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Torco wrote:so why do ounger chicks should get creeped by interest by older dudes?
Because of the power relationship/increased potential for abuse, obviously, sort of like how being propositioned by a strange man in an elevator at 3 AM is creepy. I thought were were some kind of social scientist, here?
[which they only do if the dude doesn't have a lot of money, but...
Seriously?
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

You look much better with hair, Torco.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

That knowledge won't help him much when he starts going bald. Let's hope it's not early.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Because of the power relationship/increased potential for abuse, obviously, sort of like how being propositioned by a strange man in an elevator at 3 AM is creepy. I thought were were some kind of social scientist, here?
and beause I'm a social scientist I need to disregard culture and assume emotions are always rational, on the way naturalizing "the way things are" ?
if that hypotheses is right, then it would also be creepy for a girl to be approached for a guy that's very large, or larger than her, has a lot more money, has a lot more swagger or charisma, or knows everyone in the party while she does not. Emotion is rarely the product of rational calculation, and creepiness or fear is very much an emotion.

straio: really? I think I look pretty good as a bald, bearded guy in a suit.
looking back at it, I think I, and the chick I was banging at the time, were the only ones with that opinion when I was bald.
oh, well.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Torco wrote:and beause I'm a social scientist I need to disregard culture and assume emotions are always rational
No, because this is culture. It's not "emotion". When someone has the power to (and/or is likely to) physically hurt you, or use social position to force you to do something, this is not some kind of "emotional" fact that will go away if you just think happy thoughts, or some bullshit.
if that hypotheses is right, then it would also be creepy for a girl to be approached for a guy that's very large, or larger than her, has a lot more money, has a lot more swagger or charisma, or knows everyone in the party while she does not.
And it often is. Imagine that.
#define FEMALE

Cum possit volitare?

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

faiuwle wrote:When someone has the power to (and/or is likely to) physically hurt you, or use social position to force you to do something, this is not some kind of "emotional" fact that will go away if you just think happy thoughts, or some bullshit.
When you see a police officer with a firearm, do you often become afraid that he'll shoot you?

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Bob Johnson wrote:
faiuwle wrote:When someone has the power to (and/or is likely to) physically hurt you, or use social position to force you to do something, this is not some kind of "emotional" fact that will go away if you just think happy thoughts, or some bullshit.
When you see a police officer with a firearm, do you often become afraid that he'll shoot you?
Yes, of course. Don't you?

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Bob Johnson wrote:
nah, because you don't culturally expect them to shoot you. unless you're at a demonstration, in which case you *are* afraid of cops, cause they mace you and imprison you. similarly, girls culturally expect older men interested in them to be psychos, or some of them do. and faiuwle does appear to have a point, in that said cultural expectation might be accurate.

but the direction of causation is unclear: it's perfectly possible that the only men who express interest in younger girls are deviants because being interested in younger girls is deviant, so to speak. which is a more complex formulation of what I was saying yesterday, or of what I was thinking, at the very least, I was seriously sleep deprived.

@pthug: seriously? you're afraid of cops shooting you?
do policemen there not carry handguns ?

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Torco wrote:@pthug: seriously? you're afraid of cops shooting you?
Yes. They're police.
Torco wrote:do policemen there not carry handguns ?
Not usually, no. But some do. The regular kind are bad enough.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Bob Johnson wrote:
It really depends what he's doing and how visible the firearm is, but in most cases it does put you on your toes, yes. That is reason they carry them, after all. It's rational to be careful around people you don't personally know carrying firearms, especially when they probably wouldn't get in any trouble if they did decide to shoot you.
Torco wrote:similarly, girls culturally expect older men interested in them to be psychos, or some of them do. and faiuwle does appear to have a point, in that said cultural expectation might be accurate.
No, it's not that all (or most) men are psychos - it's that in most cases, men have the ability to abuse, manipulate, threaten, or otherwise coerce women without most of the bystanders considering them to be anything but perfectly normal, nice guys. I'm sure most men wouldn't do that, but there's always the possibility that they will, and a woman usually has little or no defense against it. Things like age/size/power/etc. just make this more likely to turn out badly.

I don't think it's a sign of mental illness (or even particularly deviant) to find 20-somethings attractive when you are much older, though.
#define FEMALE

Cum possit volitare?

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Astraios wrote:You look much better with hair, Torco.
[X] wrong.
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

din wrote:
Astraios wrote:You look much better with hair, Torco.
[X] wrong.
I do believe you're using the wrong grading key.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

faiuwle wrote:No, it's not that all (or most) men are psychos - it's that in most cases, men have the ability to abuse, manipulate, threaten, or otherwise coerce women without most of the bystanders considering them to be anything but perfectly normal, nice guys. I'm sure most men wouldn't do that, but there's always the possibility that they will, and a woman usually has little or no defense against it. Things like age/size/power/etc. just make this more likely to turn out badly.
Where the hell do you live?

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

America? Blatant manipulation of women is so unstigmatized that some people have turned it into a science.

ETA: Forgot an un-
Last edited by faiuwle on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#define FEMALE

Cum possit volitare?

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

faiuwle wrote:stigmatized
I don't think you're using that word right.
I don't think it means what you think it means.
"stigmatized" connotes socially unaccepted.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

take a seat, thc
*points at dick*