Linguistic Quackery Thread, take 2

Discussions worth keeping around later.
marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Linguistic Quackery Thread, take 2

Post by marconatrix »

Drydic Guinea wrote:
clawgrip wrote:What is a self-inflected verb?
he works vs he does work

Note that work in the second example is not the noun.
What is it then? And anyway 'does' is a verb, and even in English has to be inflected -es. I just don't see what the man was trying to claim. That you can speak Welsh without having to learn verb inflections? OK, you can (mostly) use construction with various auxillary/modal verbs, but *they* have to be inflected and tend to be irregular, whereas especially in Modern spoken Welsh, there is very little irregularity in most content verbs. Weird!
Kyn nag ov den skentel pur ...

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I'm guessing he means that there is a relatively low number of verbs that are typically fully inflected, and the content verbs end up in some kind of mostly uninflected form. Like "I did go home last night and did have a shower and did sleep" or something. I don't know anything about Welsh though so I may be wrong here.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

This guy.
So, around 2500 BC dialects are supposed beginning to diversify into separate languages...If a word has its reconstructed PIE ancestor, then to which PIE dialect does it belong?
Well we're certainly beat there.
When a language is spoken in the kitchen then one knows that it is still very much alive.
Even when I'm trying to practice Sanskrit and get a soda at the same time?
Last edited by Vuvuzela on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

There was a huge gap in development between the native Americans and the Europeans, separating both effectively.
That was not the case on the right bank of the Rhine. The local native Germans were not that retarded.
YES THIS IS A CREDIBLE MAN
Also:
After proto-proto-Germanic was formed, the language expanded to the west, following the Danube, but also to the southeast, to the coasts of the Adriatic Sea where it underwent a second creolisation, partly from the locals, partly from new PIE farmer-colonists who settled there. There it became proto-Germano-Occitan. From there the language crossed the Adriatic Sea and in Italy, a third creolisation happened into proto-Occitan-Roman. To make it even more complex, the local people in Italy already spoke here and there an other creolised form of PIE which had been imported by boat before and more directly from the Black Sea region.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

He'd be cute if he wasn't such an imbecile.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

http://languageinindia.com/feb2013/jassemwater.pdf

Have you heard? English and Greek stem from Arabic !

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

http://www.hunmagyar.org/tor/index.html
site wrote:The origins of the Hungarians can be traced back to Ancient Mesopotamia through the Sumerian-Scythian-Hun-Avar-Magyar ethno-linguistic continuity, which, together with the evidence of the archeological artifacts of Sumerian origin found in the Carpathian Basin, indicates that the ancestors of the Hungarians were the first permanent settlers of the Carpathian Basin.
site wrote:Indo-European linguists reject the possibility of a connection between the Uralic and Altaic ethno-linguistic groups. This is an unfounded assumption as the evidence indicates that the Uralic and Altaic groups were formed through ethno-linguistic convergence and hybridization with Turanian peoples such as the Sumerians and Scythians. The Uralic and Altaic groups therefore share common Turanian ethno-linguistic roots.
etc.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Jesus Christ, where do I have to go to avoid PCT nutters on the intarwebs? There's one now on the Irish Learners' Forum with a half-baked idée fixe about ancient Irish-Serbian connexions whose got an Irish dictionary of common usage (sans etymological information) and isn't afraid to use it.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

linguoboy wrote:There's one now on the Irish Learners' Forum with a half-baked theory about ancient Irish-Serbian connexions whose got an Irish dictionary of common usage (sans etymological information) and isn't afraid to use it.
What. How.

Link plox >_>
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Ach, my faith in humanity has been diminished anew
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

linguoboy wrote:Jesus Christ, where do I have to go to avoid PCT nutters on the intarwebs? There's one now on the Irish Learners' Forum with a half-baked idée fixe about ancient Irish-Serbian connexions whose got an Irish dictionary of common usage (sans etymological information) and isn't afraid to use it.
Cothrom na Féinne dha, at least Serbian is IE, he might have picked Hungarian or Basque ;-)

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

I just read where he said :
The earliest iron methalurgical center in the world, dated to 14th–13th century bce, was round in south eastern Serbia in the hillfort settlement on the hill called Hisar. This site belongs to the earliest proto illyrian period.
Uh? Isn't that just a wee bit early, like three or four millennia? And I'm sure the Serbs were slavs so nowhere near the Balkans at that time, but maybe the academics are telling lies again?

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Look at it like this: I've heard from a Romanian that the Romanians were the first Christians as witnessed by their creation of the pregnant bust of Virgin Mary some 15ka before the conspiracist zionist Romans said Christ was born.
There are wackier people
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

marconatrix wrote:I just read where he said :
The earliest iron methalurgical center in the world, dated to 14th–13th century bce, was round in south eastern Serbia in the hillfort settlement on the hill called Hisar. This site belongs to the earliest proto illyrian period.
Uh? Isn't that just a wee bit early, like three or four millennia? And I'm sure the Serbs were slavs so nowhere near the Balkans at that time, but maybe the academics are telling lies again?
Well...that statement by itself isn't crackpottery, unless the evidence doesn't back up the claim. It's just stating that a claimed earliest ironworking site is located in what is now southwestern Serbia. And "proto-illyrian"...well frankly I don't think you could get more vague as to what that means, short of saying the Human Period.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

He has one thing in common with the people on this board. He cannot tell the difference between [ə] and [ɐ]. Granted, in many dialects of American English they are merged, but where they are merged, the enunciated pronunciation is [ɐ]. [ə] is only found in reduced vowels. So when he carefully pronounces each word, he avoids ever saying [ə].
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

brandrinn wrote:
He has one thing in common with the people on this board. He cannot tell the difference between [ə] and [ɐ]. Granted, in many dialects of American English they are merged, but where they are merged, the enunciated pronunciation is [ɐ]. [ə] is only found in reduced vowels. So when he carefully pronounces each word, he avoids ever saying [ə].
Protip: avoid making general statements, lest the presence of native German speakers bust your theory
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Hallow XIII wrote:
brandrinn wrote:
Protip: avoid making general statements, lest the presence of native German speakers bust your theory
Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about English. In fact, I specifically mentioned American English, where the two sounds are often merged. The fact that they are distinct in German isn't really relevant.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Hallow XIII wrote:
brandrinn wrote:
He has one thing in common with the people on this board. He cannot tell the difference between [ə] and [ɐ]. Granted, in many dialects of American English they are merged, but where they are merged, the enunciated pronunciation is [ɐ]. [In American English] [ə] is only found in reduced vowels. So when he carefully pronounces each word, he avoids ever saying [ə].
He did say English, tho.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

GBR
Sanci
Sanci

Post by GBR »

A Girl I was Speaking to Today wrote:My Cultural Studies teacher told me the Chinese didn't have a character for woman till the 18th century
Apparently they just used the character for womb.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

clawgrip wrote:Might want to show her this:
http://english.chnmus.net/fortnightsele ... e_2993.htm
That article itself holds some fun stuff by itself too - apparently the two viewpoints on the date of origin of the stele are that a) it was made in 92AD b) it wasn't made in 92AD
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

Herr Dunkel wrote:
clawgrip wrote:Might want to show her this:
http://english.chnmus.net/fortnightsele ... e_2993.htm
That article itself holds some fun stuff by itself too - apparently the two viewpoints on the date of origin of the stele are that a) it was made in 92AD b) it wasn't made in 92AD
Also I'm amused by the wording suggesting these are only two out of many options.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]