zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:48 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 492
Location: Michigan, USA
How is Quechua, a family of languages currently spoken by over 8 million people, "ancient"? Are they actually speaking an old form of it?

_________________
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:57 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:34 am
Posts: 838
Location: The North
alynnidalar wrote:
How is Quechua, a family of languages currently spoken by over 8 million people, "ancient"? Are they actually speaking an old form of it?


I asked that question myself.

_________________
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:12 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 144
alynnidalar wrote:
How is Quechua, a family of languages currently spoken by over 8 million people, "ancient"?
It's obvious, all 8 million speakers are five thousand years old.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:40 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:24 am
Posts: 114
Well, it's without any mixture of Sanskrit, so of course it's ancient!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:59 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 492
Location: Michigan, USA
Aili Meilani wrote:
alynnidalar wrote:
How is Quechua, a family of languages currently spoken by over 8 million people, "ancient"?
It's obvious, all 8 million speakers are five thousand years old.


"Doctors HATE this one weird trick for achieving immortality! Learn a Quechuan language today!"

_________________
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:23 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:25 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Austin, TX, USA
alynnidalar wrote:
Aili Meilani wrote:
alynnidalar wrote:
How is Quechua, a family of languages currently spoken by over 8 million people, "ancient"?
It's obvious, all 8 million speakers are five thousand years old.


"Doctors HATE this one weird trick for achieving immortality! Learn a Quechuan language today!"

[insert bouncing image of outraged doctor here]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:59 pm 
Sanci
Sanci
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:47 am
Posts: 25
Attachment:
quechua.gif
quechua.gif [ 119.62 KiB | Viewed 4693 times ]

_________________
A Reference Grammar Of Classical Wanjea


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:22 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:25 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Austin, TX, USA
That's priceless, cenysor! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:42 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:34 am
Posts: 838
Location: The North
I'm almost tempted to put that on Facebook, but my friends wouldn't get it, so yeah. :mrgreen:

_________________
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:54 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:49 am
Posts: 2316
Location: Bonn, Germany
Linear A is Kartvelian now.
(NB: I put this here on general principles, as decipherings of Linear A tend to be quackery. I only skimmed the article, maybe it's all solid, in that case apologies to the author.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:39 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:34 am
Posts: 838
Location: The North
hwhatting wrote:
Linear A is Kartvelian now.
(NB: I put this here on general principles, as decipherings of Linear A tend to be quackery. I only skimmed the article, maybe it's all solid, in that case apologies to the author.)


Ah, Academia.edu, source of all kinds of quackery!

_________________
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:48 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:03 am
Posts: 472
Location: displaced from Helsinki
Frislander wrote:
Ah, Academia.edu, source of all kinds of quackery!


Isn't that a bit unfair? When you browse it, Academia.edu is in fact full of solid refereed papers, just made available outside the usual paywalls.

The distribution media sure can be an indication of the poor quality of papers but such offprint servers as Academia.edu or arXiv.org don't have nearly enough quality problems to label them as questionably sources of information by default.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:23 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:49 am
Posts: 2316
Location: Bonn, Germany
gach wrote:
Isn't that a bit unfair? When you browse it, Academia.edu is in fact full of solid refereed papers, just made available outside the usual paywalls.

The distribution media sure can be an indication of the poor quality of papers but such offprint servers as Academia.edu or arXiv.org don't have nearly enough quality problems to label them as questionably sources of information by default.

Yep, I totally agree. I've found many good and interesting papers there, and, as I said, I'm not even sure that the paper I linked to is quackery - I know too little of Kartvelian and Kartvelian diachronics to be able to judge. I linked it partly in the faint hope that someone more knowledgeable regarding Linear A and / or Kartvelian studies will show up and tell us whether this paper has merit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:02 pm 
Smeric
Smeric
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 1630
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
hwhatting wrote:
gach wrote:
Isn't that a bit unfair? When you browse it, Academia.edu is in fact full of solid refereed papers, just made available outside the usual paywalls.

The distribution media sure can be an indication of the poor quality of papers but such offprint servers as Academia.edu or arXiv.org don't have nearly enough quality problems to label them as questionably sources of information by default.

Yep, I totally agree. I've found many good and interesting papers there, and, as I said, I'm not even sure that the paper I linked to is quackery - I know too little of Kartvelian and Kartvelian diachronics to be able to judge. I linked it partly in the faint hope that someone more knowledgeable regarding Linear A and / or Kartvelian studies will show up and tell us whether this paper has merit.


Fair. That is precisely what I have to say on this. Academia.edu is a rather mixed bag - quite much speculative stuff out there, but not all quackery. Indeed, there is quite much interesting stuff on that platform. Also, I wouldn't equate speculation with quackery. There are a lot of ideas which are unproven but make sense. So far, we can't say that the language of Linear A can't be Kartvelian. One would rather not expect a Kartvelian language on Bronze Age Crete, but on the other hand, Crete is not so far from Georgia that such an idea seems ludicrous. Yet, I know too little about Kartvelian and Linear A to decide how much this particular paper is worth.

_________________
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:26 pm 
Sanno
Sanno
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:00 pm
Posts: 3197
Location: One of the dark places of the world
Well, the paper only seems to say that the hypothesised sound values of two sequences of signs with certain guessed meanings are vaguely, vaguely, similar to the sounds of reconstructed proto-Kartvelian words with vaguely related meanings.

The implication that Linnear A must be Kartvelian on that basis seems like crackpottery. The actual substance of the paper, however, may well be respectable, I don't know.

_________________
Blog: http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:04 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:46 am
Posts: 1035
Location: Réunion
Frislander wrote:
I'm almost tempted to put that on Facebook, but my friends wouldn't get it, so yeah. :mrgreen:
By the way, I did put on the facebook but not on my wall; on the Silly Linguistics group.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:34 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:42 am
Posts: 823
So Taiwanese is Indo-European apparently

_________________
My scratchpad


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:07 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 3:04 pm
Posts: 821
Not quite linguistic quackery, but linguistic underperformance:

Been watching the new Netflix series "Frontier" about the trials and travails of the Hudson's Bay Company in 18th c. Canada. One episode is named "Mushkegowuk Esquewu", which I was able to surmise is somebody's attempt at spelling Cree omashkekok iskwēw. The spelling "mushkegowuk" apparently is a done thing and means "Swampy Cree" (iskwēw is "woman"), but I can't find any instance of "esquewu" online outside of references to the episode. Also, according to dhok (#isharia's resident Steward Algoboo keeping the seat warm for the once and future king Whimemsz) the phrase "omashkekok iskwēw" might not even be grammatical.

The second word is also uttered once in the episode by one of the actors (who from her pronunciation I think might know the language irl) in a bit of code-switching: "This is a decision for iskwewak." (-ak = plural suffix) I was curious how well the subtitler handled this line, and sure enough, he had no idea what to do with it-- the subs read <This is a decision for squaw.> :-)

_________________
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:33 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:34 am
Posts: 838
Location: The North
Xephyr wrote:
Not quite linguistic quackery, but linguistic underperformance:

Been watching the new Netflix series "Frontier" about the trials and travails of the Hudson's Bay Company in 18th c. Canada. One episode is named "Mushkegowuk Esquewu", which I was able to surmise is somebody's attempt at spelling Cree omashkekok iskwēw. The spelling "mushkegowuk" apparently is a done thing and means "Swampy Cree" (iskwēw is "woman"), but I can't find any instance of "esquewu" online outside of references to the episode. Also, according to dhok (#isharia's resident Steward Algoboo keeping the seat warm for the once and future king Whimemsz) the phrase "omashkekok iskwēw" might not even be grammatical.


Well I'd say it does fit thematically with the whole colonial aspect of it, with all the inconsistent spelling that comes with that.

Quote:
The second word is also uttered once in the episode by one of the actors (who from her pronunciation I think might know the language irl) in a bit of code-switching: "This is a decision for iskwewak." (-ak = plural suffix) I was curious how well the subtitler handled this line, and sure enough, he had no idea what to do with it-- the subs read <This is a decision for squaw.> :-)


Oh dear - the translator seems to have failed to realise that for many native people "squaw" is seen as a racist term of abuse. I myself might have been tempted to go for "womenfolk", which would fit with the plural marking.

_________________
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:34 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 3:04 pm
Posts: 821
Quote:
Quote:
The second word is also uttered once in the episode by one of the actors (who from her pronunciation I think might know the language irl) in a bit of code-switching: "This is a decision for iskwewak." (-ak = plural suffix) I was curious how well the subtitler handled this line, and sure enough, he had no idea what to do with it-- the subs read <This is a decision for squaw.> :-)


Oh dear - the translator seems to have failed to realise that for many native people "squaw" is seen as a racist term of abuse. I myself might have been tempted to go for "womenfolk", which would fit with the plural marking.


Well... if I may speak for that anonymous person's defense: you're assuming the subtitler knew what the actor said, and what it meant. It's a miracle that I was able to tell (I know exactly 3 morphemes in Cree: napew, iskwew, and the -ak suffix) and I'm a weirdo language geek like you-- it's pretty unlikely that some random schmo employed in a captioning company was going to have any idea whatsoever. Also, from what I've gathered noticing subtitling errors in other movies and tv shows, I'm guessing that these people don't have access to production scripts or researchers or anything. I'm not going to start holding random people to the fire for not knowing words like "iskwewak". Plus, it is a bit hard to make out what she says anyway-- for instance, I can't rule out the possibility that she actually said some dialectual variant instead (it sounds kinda like [əskwɐ:k] or something, to my really-sucks-at-phonetics ear). So.... They did the best they could?

Still though: lol.

_________________
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:53 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:39 pm
Posts: 859
Location: The Eastern Establishment
Frederik Kortlandt, otherwise respected Indo-Europeanist, writes article about...something.

Quote:
The existence of non-constructible sets offers a solution for the problem of the philosopher’s stone. I think that the philosopher’s stone is a 4-dimensional object
and that it is crossing the 3-dimensional surface of a 4-dimensional pond called history. The universe is the slice of the stone which is at the level of the water.
The universe originated with a big bang when the stone hit the surface. It is finite and expands as the stone sinks into the water. Why did the stone hit the surface?
We shall never know because it is beyond human observation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:09 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:34 am
Posts: 838
Location: The North
dhok wrote:
Frederik Kortlandt, otherwise respected Indo-Europeanist, writes article about...something.

Quote:
The existence of non-constructible sets offers a solution for the problem of the philosopher’s stone. I think that the philosopher’s stone is a 4-dimensional object
and that it is crossing the 3-dimensional surface of a 4-dimensional pond called history. The universe is the slice of the stone which is at the level of the water.
The universe originated with a big bang when the stone hit the surface. It is finite and expands as the stone sinks into the water. Why did the stone hit the surface?
We shall never know because it is beyond human observation.


Erm... OK.

_________________
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:27 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:03 am
Posts: 2633
Location: Netherlands
To his defense, this was apparently written in 1983. We don't know what his current views are.


JAL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm 
Smeric
Smeric
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:57 pm
Posts: 1228
Location: Scattered disc
This is either an interesting breakthrough or (I suspect) something that fits in quite well in this thread, but I cant read French very well, and it's PDF so I cant just Google-Translate it:

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/file/i ... basque.pdf

I can read it enough though to see that Hector Iglesias is trying to prove that Basque and Berber are related. What I dont know is if he's trying to prove that there's some special connection between Basque and Berber specifically, or just that Basque is distantly related to the Afro-Asiatic family as a whole, perhaps areally influenced by the Berber languages but related only more distantly.

_________________
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:15 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:25 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Austin, TX, USA
OK, I didn't read it too carefully, but he's definitely claiming a relationship between Basque and Berber specifically, lol. It's so weird though because it seems like for most of the paper, he's just talking about Basque. Like he talks about this in soooo much detail (or so it seems), but basically he's just talking about Basque?

EDIT: Oh, and it also seems like at one point, he's like "in Basque, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. But blah blah blah blah blah! Wtf??? BERBER TO THE RESCUE!!!"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group