Happy Things Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by linguoboy »

sirdanilot wrote:Where did my venting thread go, by the way?
That was determined to be trolling and summarily deleted.

[Followups to PM.]

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Sooo... work on friday, first threesome in my life on saturday, work on sunday, excellent presentation on monday, and now it looks like i'm gonna get a raise.

Man, I feel boss as fuck!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I do have a Lonely Island song running through my head after reading that. (Two of them, in fact.)

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Torco wrote:Sooo... work on friday, first threesome in my life on saturday, work on sunday, excellent presentation on monday, and now it looks like i'm gonna get a raise.

Man, I feel boss as fuck!
You put things about your sex life on the internet?

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Torco is an alien from a trisexual species, so his other partners were of the galactic sexgender categories gamete-female and womb-neuter.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Yup, and we asked for a blessing from the goddess, so we're protected.

also danilot, no being a buzzkill in the happy thread, save that for church

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

linguoboy wrote:I do have a Lonely Island song running through my head after reading that. (Two of them, in fact.)
Incidentally, I also have one of those songs running through my head, but a slightly different version. Same reason, though.
(Apologies if you are unable to view it due to where you are. If you're in the US, though, this should play.)

Happy: OMG ROLLER COASTER
...no, really, I went to Cedar Point on Sunday and ended up riding 10 roller coasters (such as this) plus an assortment of other spin-and-puke rides. Lots of fun. Lots of roller coasters. Cool new shirt acquired. Nice, relaxing, gorgeous day on my own. Not crowded at all. I so happy.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

vampireshark wrote:
linguoboy wrote:I do have a Lonely Island song running through my head after reading that. (Two of them, in fact.)
Incidentally, I also have one of those songs running through my head, but a slightly different version. Same reason, though.
(Apologies if you are unable to view it due to where you are. If you're in the US, though, this should play.)

Happy: OMG ROLLER COASTER
...no, really, I went to Cedar Point on Sunday and ended up riding 10 roller coasters (such as this) plus an assortment of other spin-and-puke rides. Lots of fun. Lots of roller coasters. Cool new shirt acquired. Nice, relaxing, gorgeous day on my own. Not crowded at all. I so happy.
Can I be jealous in the Happy Thread? :) I love Cedar Point, but I haven't been in several years. Rollercoasters are the best!
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Unbelieveable, I put six eggs under a broody hen and they all developed (usually one or two don't), when they hatched five made it and one couldn't and died in the shell (always happens). I think that's very good odds! We usually end up with 3 or 4 from 6 eggs. Well, it's still early days, and after a week we can say things are stable.
It was about time I changed this.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

ol bofosh wrote:Unbelieveable, I put six eggs under a broody hen and they all developed (usually one or two don't), when they hatched five made it and one couldn't and died in the shell (always happens). I think that's very good odds! We usually end up with 3 or 4 from 6 eggs. Well, it's still early days, and after a week we can say things are stable.
That's great ! I'd love to have chicken

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Yesterday was a good day, we got lots of wedding errands done in St. Paul. Cake, restaurant, license, flowers, almost got the hotel done, photographer. It was great. Except being discriminated against by some old Italian florists. Saying they were simply 'too busy' for 2 boutonnieres and 3 small bouquets almost a month in advance. They didn't say it kindly and when we said oh that's not a weekend it's a Monday, it was still 'well um we're just too busy' meanwhile the busy florist we went to after didn't bat an eye. So that was fun...America....
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

1) I just had an awesome idea. I Googled "site:plato.stanford.edu" (without the quotes), and now I'm reading the SEP in order of Google search results. So far, I have read my first three entries: (not counting the homepage) Marsilio Ficino, Anaxagoras and Ernst Cassirer. The first two were, to me, stimulating reads, but the phenomenological neo-Kantian Ernst Cassirer is already a gem. I'm greatly sympathetic to his proposal. Since my workload is practically nonexistent during the Summer semester, I know how I'll be spending my time. Next up: Communitarianism. This diversity of results is exactly what is needed to hold my attention.

2) I've decided to do my masters in computer science as a compromise between engineering (undergrad) and philosophy. (aspirations, probably of the psychoanalytic-unfulfillable kind) Besides, it's not a totally impractical choice, (I want to donate a lot to charitable causes) I'm good at programming, and the subject has a poetic resonance with my religion. (Yudkowskianism) I'm doing well and really enjoying myself so far. Yay!
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Back in North Carolina, if only for a week, for vacation. I so happy.

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

It's been a productive day:
*One hour ago* I will do some work on some names in a conlang
*Now* Discovers potential ablaut system in that conlang's proto-lang via etymological work on said names.

And leftover Ethiopian food to eat for dinner. Yummmmm
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I got children's books! Yay!!

Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

"Lapė ir Sūris" is "Fox and Mouse"?

Edit: Ah, "Fox and Cheese".
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Bristel wrote:"Lapė ir Sūris" is "Fox and Mouse"?

Edit: Ah, "Fox and Cheese".
Taip. :)

I'm actually looking for someone who speaks the language to help me read the books aloud. Lithuanian stress is unpredictable.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Great food, great people, great times. The only thing that didn't work out was the weather, but after three years running of rainouts even that is becoming part of the tradition. I even met an actual Cajun from the actual parish whose dialect I've been learning--only to find that French died out just before reaching his generation! Tonnarre mes chiens!

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

My brother is currently an ocean away. This makes me happy in several respects: happy that he got a chance to go to Europe to do some research and happy that he's not around, leaving me alone here in Nooohio.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I don't know what Eddy was talking about when he wanted so desperately to get out of St. Louis. My husband and I are in St. Louis right now on a little getaway staying in a cool old brick house off AirBnB in the Gate District. This is a cool city. I love the architecture, the mix and matched French mansards are incredible. I'm a fan of how the sides were rarely addressed by the architects because only the fronts mattered, so you have these fancy looking houses with shear walls of brick on the sides and rear. We're going to do the zoo tomorrow and obligatory trip up the Arch. Also we ate some great BBQ tonight. This is a neat city.

I actually rather like Missouri's two major cities. I enjoyed Kansas City a lot, too, it had a neat bar scene. And Jefferson City built entirely for the government was a neat sight to see and MO has a nice Capitol building. The only disappointing part of this state so far that I've seen was the Northeast (north of Hannibal and west out to Kirksville). Except the awesome city of Hannibal, this area was rather run down and depressing. But from what else I've seen, I've enjoyed visiting Missouri and look forward to visiting it more.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Viktor77 wrote:I don't know what Eddy was talking about when he wanted so desperately to get out of St. Louis. My husband and I are in St. Louis right now on a little getaway staying in a cool old brick house off AirBnB in the Gate District. This is a cool city. I love the architecture, the mix and matched French mansards are incredible. I'm a fan of how the sides were rarely addressed by the architects because only the fronts mattered, so you have these fancy looking houses with shear walls of brick on the sides and rear. We're going to do the zoo tomorrow and obligatory trip up the Arch. Also we ate some great BBQ tonight. This is a neat city.

I actually rather like Missouri's two major cities. I enjoyed Kansas City a lot, too, it had a neat bar scene. And Jefferson City built entirely for the government was a neat sight to see and MO has a nice Capitol building. The only disappointing part of this state so far that I've seen was the Northeast (north of Hannibal and west out to Kirksville). Except the awesome city of Hannibal, this area was rather run down and depressing. But from what else I've seen, I've enjoyed visiting Missouri and look forward to visiting it more.
It looks like any old american city to me, with the fancy arc thingie and capitol like building.

However, I have read that the food in the south of the united states is better than elsewhere, as it actually has a cuisine with Cajun and Creole like dishes. Because of that, if I would want to visit any part of the US it would be new orleans and other southern parts. Instead of eating only hamburgers, hot dogs and pizzas with way too thick slices of dough, like other Americans do, the food is actually a nice rich cuisine which I think is better.

Compare the above city to Leiden, my home town, which do you think is nicer?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Leiden.jpg (huge pic)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Viktor77 wrote:I don't know what Eddy was talking about when he wanted so desperately to get out of St. Louis. My husband and I are in St. Louis right now on a little getaway staying in a cool old brick house off AirBnB in the Gate District. This is a cool city. I love the architecture, the mix and matched French mansards are incredible. I'm a fan of how the sides were rarely addressed by the architects because only the fronts mattered, so you have these fancy looking houses with shear walls of brick on the sides and rear. We're going to do the zoo tomorrow and obligatory trip up the Arch. Also we ate some great BBQ tonight. This is a neat city.

Eddy didn't actually live in St Louis. He lived in the run down and depressing Northeast that you wouldn't go back to.

I had to look up "Gate District", since that's not a name I remember hearing before. We never called it that when I lived there, probably because Lafayette Terrace was the only part of it that had been gentrified at the time.

Where did you go for barbecue? I've never thought of St Louis as much of a barbecue town--certainly not compared to KC, let alone Memphis. But one thing we have which is first rate is frozen custard. You owe yourself a trip to Ted Drewes before you go.
sirdanilot wrote:However, I have read that the food in the south of the united states is better than elsewhere, as it actually has a cuisine with Cajun and Creole like dishes. Because of that, if I would want to visit any part of the US it would be new orleans and other southern parts. Instead of eating only hamburgers, hot dogs and pizzas with way too thick slices of dough, like other Americans do, the food is actually a nice rich cuisine which I think is better.
When you make these kinds of observations, I genuinely can't tell if you're deliberately baiting the Americans to try to get a rise out of one of us or if you actually are that pig ignorant of American culture.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

^

It's true that south has a nice cuisine, right? I have read a lot about it, I am fond of food and drink and read a lot about it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _gumbo.jpg

This, for exmaple, looks like good food to me, with fresh ingredients such as shrimp which are also local to the south of the United States.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6eiXdvnlV-E/T ... t-dog1.jpg

This, which people in the rest of America eat, looks much less good. Yeah of course it's nice for a snack, but I could not live off that for a main meal.
It seems like they also eat more vegetables in the south of the united states (such as Okra, I am used to this slimy vegetable as we also eat it in Brazil, quiabo or something, forgot the actual spelling), while in the rest of the united states the vegatables are limited to some Sauerkraut on a bun of hot dogs.

Now I won't say that Dutch cuisine is so much better than everything. In fact htat is why I like to go on vacation to also experience different foods and cultures, as Dutch food is relatively boring. However, it is healthy as iti t contains a lot of potatoes and vegetables, Dutch food is more vegetable heavy than many surrounding cuisines. But it is certainly not haut cuisine and I would even choose the Southern US cuisine over Dutch cuisine.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

sirdanilot wrote:^

It's true that south has a nice cuisine, right? I have read a lot about it, I am fond of food and drink and read a lot about it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _gumbo.jpg

This, for exmaple, looks like good food to me, with fresh ingredients such as shrimp which are also local to the south of the United States.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6eiXdvnlV-E/T ... t-dog1.jpg

This, which people in the rest of America eat, looks much less good. Yeah of course it's nice for a snack, but I could not live off that for a main meal.
It seems like they also eat more vegetables in the south of the united states (such as Okra, I am used to this slimy vegetable as we also eat it in Brazil, quiabo or something, forgot the actual spelling), while in the rest of the united states the vegatables are limited to some Sauerkraut on a bun of hot dogs.

Now I won't say that Dutch cuisine is so much better than everything. In fact htat is why I like to go on vacation to also experience different foods and cultures, as Dutch food is relatively boring. However, it is healthy as iti t contains a lot of potatoes and vegetables, Dutch food is more vegetable heavy than many surrounding cuisines. But it is certainly not haut cuisine and I would even choose the Southern US cuisine over Dutch cuisine.
You don't... genuinely think that because we occasionally eat hot dogs, that that's literally all we eat, right? Who would want to do that all the time? Even if you're getting good hot dogs, they get old fast. (I always get 100% beef ones, buuuut I quite willingly admit a good Italian sausage or bratwurst is far superior. Especially when you bring sauerkraut into the picture.) Hot dogs are casual, picnic food that you might on a rare occasion have for dinner if you're in a hurry (or if you're cheap), but most people don't eat them all the time. I guess maybe some college students and bachelors might.

You're also acting like we only eat from one cuisine or something... I mean, in the last week, I've had German food, barbecue (went to Buffalo Wild Wings on Sunday, I would eat nothing but their boneless wings if I could), Italian food (storebought pasta and sauce, but I at least put a few things in the sauce :P--oh, and we went out for pizza at work, but it was thin crust so it shouldn't have offended your sensibilities too deeply), Mexican food, sort-of-Chinese-inspired food, and... other stuff I don't really know how to identify. (my friend made this GREAT macaroni and cheese and ham casserole, I made shrimp for the first time last week, I do soup sometimes...) Americans, like everybody with access to a variety of foods (I assume), eat a variety of things, from a variety of cuisines. Nobody I know eats the same thing all the time.

Traditional Midwestern cuisine is... well, it's hard to characterize something you live in. I feel like it's 90% potatoes and at least 112% casseroles, traditionally speaking. More bland than I like it, which is why I usually go for spicier Asian/Mexican dishes instead. There's a lot of German, Polish, and Scandinavian influence.

But Southern food is delish, I agree. Gumbo's not Southern, though. It's Cajun. (from Louisiana) Cajun's definitely in my top favorite cuisines, I love the spiciness and use of shrimp. Southern cuisine is more the fried chicken/greens/sweet tea sort of thing. And barbecue, although I tend to associate that more with, like, Texas.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.