Happy Things Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
----
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by ---- »

I found The Linguistic History of Southern Vanuatu at the library today. Prepare for a substantial addition to the correspondence library everyone 8)

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Got my visa for India and my Luxembourg provisional residence permit today. Booked my ticket to move to Luxembourg.

I so happy.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

check it out you sons and daughters of bitches i found a five-leafed clover

<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Oh, yours is really nice. I found one... probably 15 years ago, but it looks like a 4 leaf clover with a midget leaf between two others. I keep it in an atlas between two maps of sparsely populated areas in central Siberia.
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

Kereb wrote:check it out you sons and daughters of bitches i found a five-leafed clover

wow, so lucky...you are luckier than those who found a four-leafed clovers. :-D

do you want to preserve that clover? :)
See here for a short introduction of some of my conlangs: http://cals.conlang.org/people/472

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

k1234567890y wrote:do you want to preserve that clover? :)
Yeah I'm going to. I save some of the 4- and 5-leaf clovers that I find. It's become a bit of a Thing. It's now sitting in a shot glass of water by my computer just to perk it up a bit because it was very wilted by the time I got it home. Sometimes I'll keep one by my desk at work until it wilts too badly to be saved though.

But THIS 5-leafed monster I found while I was on the phone with my mum, who I don't see enough of lately. I'm going to visit her for (canadian) thanksgiving and I told her this clover is hers.
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

Kereb wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:do you want to preserve that clover? :)
Yeah I'm going to. I save some of the 4- and 5-leaf clovers that I find. It's become a bit of a Thing. It's now sitting in a shot glass of water by my computer just to perk it up a bit because it was very wilted by the time I got it home. Sometimes I'll keep one by my desk at work until it wilts too badly to be saved though.

But THIS 5-leafed monster I found while I was on the phone with my mum, who I don't see enough of lately. I'm going to visit her for (canadian) thanksgiving and I told her this clover is hers.
nice :)

it seems that you love your mom much :) maybe your mom will be super-lucky in the following time :)
See here for a short introduction of some of my conlangs: http://cals.conlang.org/people/472

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I got some awesome pictures of last night's lunar eclipse.

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

KathTheDragon wrote:I got some awesome pictures of last night's lunar eclipse.
nice pics :)

and it's lucky for you to see a lunar eclipse :)

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

here it was cloudy :V

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

Torco wrote:here it was cloudy :V
poor Torco...do you want to see the moon?

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

no, she's dead to me :x

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

Torco wrote:no, she's dead to me :x
ok lol

so the moon is inanimate for you? Torco

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

but of course! who would think of the moon as animate, numbers? 镜花水月!

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

Torco wrote:but of course! who would think of the moon as animate, numbers? 镜花水月!
Maybe the moon becomes animate when you refer to the god/goddess of the moon if you are religious.

Also, the moon is certainly less animate than any animals, but it seems that it is more animate than tools and abstract concepts, as the moon might be seen as a natural force.

also, wow!你會說中文

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Same ): I couldn't see even a glimpse of it. But the sky did look kind of red which was neat.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

不是,我的中文的水平几乎优于一个哑童。 以后学习一个年, 晚生还在苦苦

I suppose the moon could be animate... I think i've read it being treated as such in some langs.
Same ): I couldn't see even a glimpse of it. But the sky did look kind of red which was neat.
I was thoroughly discouraged by the thick layer of clouds. alas, ye supermoon, the earth doth hide you from our sight. Plenty of folks here spent a lot of the night waiting for the sky to break, though.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Here, too. I waited til 4:00 and for nothing. :?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Pole, the wrote:
Here, too. I waited til 4:00 and for nothing. :?
all will fade to nothingness, so all effort is in a way for naught. find meaning in that absurdity if you can, for all life is impermance and suffering :P

funny thing was a lot of people came to work that day like they just stepped out of a meat grinder, frustrated for the moon never showed. i stayed awake trying to see the moon stroke no one as a convincing excuse.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Unfortunately, it was very overcast, so I wasn't able to see the lunar eclipse. Sad.

On a happier note, though, I leave for Europe in about 13 days.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

vampireshark wrote:Unfortunately, it was very overcast, so I wasn't able to see the lunar eclipse. Sad.

Have you found a place to stay yet? Housing in Luxembourg is ridiculously overpriced.

Once, on the train there, I picked up a newspaper that someone had left and it had an ad for housing on the back. A house that would go for 120,000 in the town I was born in went for like 400,000 in a small village in Luxembourg (a price I would expect in a city with at least a million inhabitants)

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

din wrote:
vampireshark wrote:Unfortunately, it was very overcast, so I wasn't able to see the lunar eclipse. Sad.

Have you found a place to stay yet? Housing in Luxembourg is ridiculously overpriced.

Once, on the train there, I picked up a newspaper that someone had left and it had an ad for housing on the back. A house that would go for 120,000 in the town I was born in went for like 400,000 in a small village in Luxembourg (a price I would expect in a city with at least a million inhabitants)
Fortunately, I have: the university offers housing, which is quite a bit more expensive than I pay here (€650 per month for a studio apartment; I pay $605 + $30/month in electricity for a one-bedroom here in Nooohio), but it's definitely cheaper than the other options. The small problem, though, is that the place I'd be living is in Esch-sur-Alzette... and I'll be working/going to school in Luxembourg City, so about 20 minutes' drive or about 30 minutes away by public transit. (Almost seemed worth considering living in France, but the visitor visa for France is extremely expensive (€99 for the visa itself and €260 for the residence permit validation for year one, plus an extra €100 or so per year). And I don't want to imagine how bad it'd be for Belgium.)

In any case, though, I got the place to stay reserved about two months ago, which was a plus (and also helped the AST process move along, largely because I then had a firm date I needed to be in Luxembourg by).

But, yeah, that's fairly crazy. I hear somewhat similar things from people out in California, where $2000 per month, which would get you a pretty nice house here in Ohio and down in NC, gets you a studio apartment.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

You're very fortunate to have housing in Luxembourg, VS. People here tell me horror stories of friends or relatives trying to get places there. They'd talk about how a country house in Belgium near Luxembourg would cost 200K and in Luxembourg it would cost 400K.

For my part, I feel like all of the work I've been putting into being social, organizing 6 conversation tables each week, going to the bar with friends, and watching lots of French TV has finally resulted in a small but encouraging improvement in my comfort level using French. My nerves have lowered, I can understand more on TV and in spoken speech, and I can produce more. So I'm happy to finally see progress after a rough first month.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Viktor77 wrote:You're very fortunate to have housing in Luxembourg, VS. People here tell me horror stories of friends or relatives trying to get places there. They'd talk about how a country house in Belgium near Luxembourg would cost 200K and in Luxembourg it would cost 400K.
Yeah, both my new advisor and one of the people I've been working with at the University have shared stories and comments about how expensive housing in Luxembourg is; I did do some looking myself, and an apartment I might've gotten in less urban France (in a city of about 150000) for about €450 per month would run me about €800 per month in Luxembourg City.

Fortunately for some of the staff, with a lot of them being EU citizens, it's not too horribly hard to commute in from, say, Germany. (Esch, for example, is right on the border with France... I could just walk a block or two and, poof, I'm in France.) For me being a non-EEA citizen, however, that'd probably be a paperwork nightmare. Much easier to deal with a residence authorization for one country rather than for multiple and pay somewhat more for the apartment.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Oooh, Esch sur Alzette. My husband lived there for a year when he was doing a master's degree at what is now called LISER. Unfortunately the research institute got greedy and discontinued the program, even though it was very successful.

Esch is a teeny-tiny bit boring. But the park is nice. Let me know what part of town you'll be in :D