Happy Things Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by linguoboy »

Salmoneus wrote:*at risk of making this the venting thread: what's with the hatred of vegetables? I get that a restaurant isn't going to be as vegetable-heavy as rustic home cooking can be. But increasingly it seems as though the only 'vegetables' you get are a drizzle of pureed something and two small potatoes, and perhaps some garnish, or shredded/toasted whatever (or possibly pencil sharpenings, it's hard to tell), and then your only non-meat option is to pay £5 for a couple of sad green beans on the side, and another £5 for a "salad" that's just three lettuce leaves. Come on people, the vegetables are meant to be the cheap bit!
Happily, I haven't really noticed that trend here.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Salmoneus wrote:But increasingly it seems as though the only 'vegetables' you get are a drizzle of pureed something and two small potatoes, and perhaps some garnish, or shredded/toasted whatever (or possibly pencil sharpenings, it's hard to tell)
This kind of reminds me of Croatia.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I now also got notifications working in my IRC client.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Travis B. wrote:I now also got notifications working in my IRC client.
I'm jealous. If only I had skills like that so I could write a working XMPP/GG client for Linux and use it instead of Kadu (which is unmaintained as of now).
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

And now I have color and text styles working for everything but the topic. However I do not have any means of entering color or text styles at the moment.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Salmoneus wrote:
*at risk of making this the venting thread: what's with the hatred of vegetables? I get that a restaurant isn't going to be as vegetable-heavy as rustic home cooking can be. But increasingly it seems as though the only 'vegetables' you get are a drizzle of pureed something and two small potatoes, and perhaps some garnish, or shredded/toasted whatever (or possibly pencil sharpenings, it's hard to tell), and then your only non-meat option is to pay £5 for a couple of sad green beans on the side, and another £5 for a "salad" that's just three lettuce leaves. Come on people, the vegetables are meant to be the cheap bit!
I really don't understand that either. Maybe other people really go to restaurants for a nicely prepared cut of meat, but I prefer having a balanced meal... (in fact I'll very happily go without any meat, too).
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Ooh, you'd love Indian food. ;)

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

din wrote:I really don't understand that either. Maybe other people really go to restaurants for a nicely prepared cut of meat, but I prefer having a balanced meal... (in fact I'll very happily go without any meat, too).
Same here, though I hate the use of meat substitutes or things that pretend to be meat. (Indian food is great in this respect.) But that's separate.

Happy: The manuscript I (and some coworkers) submitted to Langmuir didn't get rejected! We got some "revision required" comments (two out of three said "major revisions needed" and the third said "publish as-is"), but there doesn't appear to be a lot needed to get it through the reviewers again and accepted (no need for whole new runs of experiments, for example; just some reworking and reformulating the analysis and stating some things more explicitly).
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable referee round then, a bit of work but nothing out of the ordinary.

We are currently having a maybe too swift referee round with a paper that we submitted about a month ago. Against everyone's expectations the referee report came back in only two weeks. We'd expected it to take far longer and thus had put some additional model runs going after the paper submission. Now we have the positive report and could in principle get the paper accepted pretty quickly, but if we also want to include the extra runs in the paper, we still have to wait a couple of weeks before resubmitting.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

gach wrote:Sounds like a perfectly reasonable referee round then, a bit of work but nothing out of the ordinary.
Indeed, that's what other people are saying. And we do have three weeks (but sooner is better, naturally). After discussions with my boss, though, he wants more experiments, but they'll just take about a day to go through, assuming all goes well. Tomorrow is prep (cleaning the devices, preparing a new solution, etc.) with the runs and analysis on Thursday and Friday.
We are currently having a maybe too swift referee round with a paper that we submitted about a month ago. Against everyone's expectations the referee report came back in only two weeks. We'd expected it to take far longer and thus had put some additional model runs going after the paper submission. Now we have the positive report and could in principle get the paper accepted pretty quickly, but if we also want to include the extra runs in the paper, we still have to wait a couple of weeks before resubmitting.
That's both a good and bad thing. Hopefully the deadline for re-submission isn't too close...

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

vampireshark wrote:That's both a good and bad thing. Hopefully the deadline for re-submission isn't too close...
Luckily a resubmission deadline is something I've never encountered in astronomical journals. That means that as long as you keep yourself and your co-authors disciplined, you can take a bit of time to think your response through.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

I'm probably moving to France in a few months. Great job over forthcoming, that is.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

masako wrote:I'm probably moving to France in a few months. Great job over forthcoming, that is.
Fingers crossed!

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

hwhatting wrote:
masako wrote:I'm probably moving to France in a few months. Great job over forthcoming, that is.
Fingers crossed!
Echoed! Where'll you be in France, if you don't mind me asking?
gach wrote:
vampireshark wrote:That's both a good and bad thing. Hopefully the deadline for re-submission isn't too close...
Luckily a resubmission deadline is something I've never encountered in astronomical journals. That means that as long as you keep yourself and your co-authors disciplined, you can take a bit of time to think your response through.
Oh, that is nice. Each of the times I remember having to do resubmission, they've given a not particularly hard deadline, normally about a month, but there is a deadline that they claim they want your response by, so it's never really a rush and there's time to think things over (but definitely not to re-do a year's worth of experiments!). So, still, there isn't a hurry, but there's at least an end in sight. (And especially with the holidays approaching...)

Other minor happy: Amazon Prime has finally come to Luxembourg. Definitely a plus for ordering lots of things, especially the supply of coffee, chips, candy, and nuts I use in my group's coffee room to help separate people from their money provide reasonably-priced snacking opportunities for the research unit.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

vampireshark wrote:Where'll you be in France, if you don't mind me asking?
Most likely, near Cognac.
hwhatting wrote:Fingers crossed!
Thank you.

It's one of those "not gonna happen again" type of opportunities. I'm very excited about it, but I have to stay calm until I know for sure. Looks like about 98% sure, at this point.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Hahahaha! And another one bites the dust!

Just finished a project. I'm almost as happy as when I read this paper: https://husant.github.io/Xpander/files/xpander-full.pdf
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

I hope the move to France happens, Masako.

My own situation has improved since the Spring and the problems we had with my brother-in-law in the weeks before and after his mother's death. My wife and I have got a lot of work done on the estate and are nearly ready to get the paperwork signed off. Just heard today that there's a proposal to name a new road down in Devon after both my in-laws. They were both local councillors down there for many years. Hopefully the proposal will go through, it would be a good way to remember them.

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Little happy thing: This forum still exists!

I first discovered it over fourteen years ago! It was crazy to discover that other people made up languages for fun and it was an influencing factor in me going on to studying linguistics at university up to post-graduate level.

So, thank you, everyone.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Congratulations! :)

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Congratulations indeed!

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Publication #4 (and my first first-author publication) just got approved. Will be some time before it goes live, but still feels quite nice to get the notification of acceptance.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Congrats again!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Today was Pączki Day at work and someone brought kola nut chocolate, so I am pretty hopped up right now.

Plus I got to talk with a coworker about language learning and conlangs, so I'm stoked.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

I brought in paczki for my coworkers today! I was originally just going to get a couple for myself, then decided to be a nice person and ordered two boxes to share. The bakery where I got them had a bunch of interesting flavors--the surprising favorite (to me) was apple with a cinnamon/powdered sugar coating. (I also was able to introduce one of my coworkers to paczki, which was fun; he's from Maryland and had never heard of them before)

Fat Tuesday's the best.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.