Happy Things Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by Vijay »

Pole, the wrote:
Torco wrote:a real man builds his own bed with nothing but a hatchet and some salvaged wood
okay, not really. but i still feel badass for doing it :D
bedde.GIF
bedde2.GIF
bedde3.GIF
Next time you need to build your own mattress with nothing but a hatchet and wood. :P
Next time he should do what at least in Indian English is called stringing a charpoy!

(But seriously, that's impressive, making a bed from scratch).

Ambermoore
Niš
Niš

Post by Ambermoore »

Pole, the wrote:
Torco wrote:a real man builds his own bed with nothing but a hatchet and some salvaged wood
okay, not really. but i still feel badass for doing it :D
bedde.GIF
bedde2.GIF
bedde3.GIF
Next time you need to build your own mattress with nothing but a hatchet and wood. :P
Nah, mattresses require a scythe or sickle, tall grass, and good leftover canvas.
Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed. ~Attributed by Neil Gaiman to GK Chesterton

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

it was six hours of hard work, i'll tell you that

oh, man, rope bed, why did i never think of that! man, indians be clever yo. maybe the next bed i build will have a rope frame instead of them horizontal stick thingies. i wouldn't sleep on a mattressless bed but rope instead of wood would indeed yield a nice bed.

also are those holes in the pillars chiseled? i should totally consider that method. thanks, man

<yea, i'll be building another one, a two body bed next... this one was really more a survival build since i didn't have any kind of bed the first night i was there and it was a terrible terrible night i spent>

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Thanks! :)
Torco wrote:also are those holes in the pillars chiseled?
AFAICT, yes. If I understood this video from Pakistan correctly, they were saying that they're first drilled in and then chiseled.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

The last few days have actually been an improvement, i.e. less depression, less wanting to die, and more appetite. Let's hope this lasts. Unfortunately, from past experience it probably won't. (I have had good periods in the past two and a half months before, and they never lasted.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

It is my birthday today. Yay. I am now 21 years old. I can drink beer now. Except I don't like alcohol so whatever.

My birthday was pretty chill. I knew that I wouldn't be receiving my present today and would have to wait, so I was cool with that. I treated myself to a luxurious breakfast at IHOP because, ya know, I'm broke as hell.Things didn't go the smoothed, though: woke up at 8:45, realized the bus to the IHOP left at 8:53, rushed like hell to catch it, and missed it. I ended up taking another bus to my school and waiting for an hour for the next one (the bus that goes to my school runs by the IHOP eventually). Got there, ate, only learned that they charged for drinks when I got my reciept, left, realized that the bus back to my house left literally a minute before I walked outside, waited outside in broiling US South heat for another fucking hour before getting back. God.

I did have a five-layer birthday cake waiting for me at home though!
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Happy birthday!

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Chagen wrote:It is my birthday today. Yay. I am now 21 years old. I can drink beer now. Except I don't like alcohol so whatever.
That's what I said too until not too long ago :P

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Pending a background check and stuff, I may be starting at a job on Monday.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Seriously look at this fuckin cake

http://imgur.com/a/zzdtv

(God why do phones take these obnoxiously huge pictures)
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Axiem
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Axiem »

Chagen wrote:(God why do phones take these obnoxiously huge pictures)
So they can capture all of your awesomely huge cake, of course!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

do we have the same birthday?

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Things are actually getting better overall lately. Not anywhere near perfect, but better. I am still depressed oftentimes, but it is milder than before most of the time. I still sometimes have trouble eating, but this is less frequent and less intense than before. I still ideate some every so often, but it's not as intense as before. Maybe I can stop wondering about how long I will actually survive now.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Chagen wrote:It is my birthday today. Yay. I am now 21 years old. I can drink beer now. Except I don't like alcohol so whatever.
Happy Third Anniversary Of Being Able To Legally Drink Alcohol Pretty Much Anywhere Else Outside The US! :P
(God why do phones take these obnoxiously huge pictures)
Perhaps has something to do with having a 9 Mpix camera. :P
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Well today seems to be better than yesterday, which was better than the day before that. Maybe all that was just a couple of bad days.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

I went to go see Evil Dead: the Musical last night and it was awesome.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Now, I haven't been talking about this, but over the last through months I have been going through the process most of us Year 13s are going through of doing applications for university. I'm hoping to study linguistics, and I applied to (in ascending order of preference) Lancaster, Newcastle, Leeds, York and Cambridge (Selwyn College). The first four have been relatively simple, and I have had offers back from 3 of them (Lancaster, Leeds and York). Cambridge, on the other hand, has been a bit more complicated, with several more forms to fill in before even getting invited for an interview if you're lucky, and that's not even considering that the deadline for Oxbridge applications is several months behind those to other universities.

It was well worth it though because today I received an email from the Admissions Officer of Selwyn College inviting me to be interviewed on the 6th of December (I already knew the date - Selwyn is organised enough that they send you a PDF document giving the dates for all of the subject interviews (different subjects get different days)). With any luck, then, I should hopefully in a few months time get an offer back from the college, and then, if I get the right grades, I'll be heading for Cambridge! :mrgreen:
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Frislander wrote:Now, I haven't been talking about this, but over the last through months I have been going through the process most of us Year 13s are going through of doing applications for university. I'm hoping to study linguistics, and I applied to (in ascending order of preference) Lancaster, Newcastle, Leeds, York and Cambridge (Selwyn College). The first four have been relatively simple, and I have had offers back from 3 of them (Lancaster, Leeds and York). Cambridge, on the other hand, has been a bit more complicated, with several more forms to fill in before even getting invited for an interview if you're lucky, and that's not even considering that the deadline for Oxbridge applications is several months behind those to other universities.

It was well worth it though because today I received an email from the Admissions Officer of Selwyn College inviting me to be interviewed on the 6th of December (I already knew the date - Selwyn is organised enough that they send you a PDF document giving the dates for all of the subject interviews (different subjects get different days)). With any luck, then, I should hopefully in a few months time get an offer back from the college, and then, if I get the right grades, I'll be heading for Cambridge! :mrgreen:
Congrats!
[don't get your hopes up too much, just in case, though. It's not the end of the world if you don't get in; York has a pretty good reputation. I actually applied there myself, and I don't think they accepted me. I was aiming for PPE, which York used to call PEP for some reason, but they also had a thing where you could have basically a 'minor' as well, and I was looking at linguistics for that. Anyway, I'm not saying you won't get it - frankly you seem to me to be someone who certainly should* - but just saying some people let themselves make assumptions too early and that leads to distress when things don't work out.]

Do Cambridge do a straight linguistics course? I seem to remember one of the reasons I didn't apply there was that many of their courses were sort of weird - apply for X, and they let you do Y later on, sort of thing - due to the tripos structure. But I don't remember the details.

Any particular reason why you chose the wrong university Cambridge? It is the prettiest, I'll grant you. And any particular reason why Selwyn? Prefer modern(ish, Victorian) architecture?

*I have a theory it's actually easier to be accepted by Oxbridge. I had OK school reports but not brilliant (though I ended up fairly OK, AAAB(plus B for a fifth AS I got roped into accidentally), and most universities I applied to actually turned me down; but the Oxford interview system means that the selectors are able to get an idea of the applicant beyond their grades, so they're less reliant on grades alone.

Anyway, the key with Oxbridge interviews is mainly to be confidant, but not too confidant: stick to your guns, but recognise when you're wrong. I think the two main groups they try to weed out are a) really cocky people who are annoying to try to teach, and b) people who aren't really knowledgeable or talented but have just been coached into good results by rote. Try to have fun - if you look like you'll enjoy being there, it suggests you ought to be. Of course, it was easier for me, I suspect - PPE, so two of the subjects are very waffly, leading to free-flowing arguments/interviews where being good at arguing was all that was needed. The economics interview, on the other hand, was much less pleasant - looking at graphs and analysing them, with no real feedback as to whether what I said was any good or not, or how much you were meant to be able to get out of them (especially as I hadn't done any economics at school).
[Actually, my interviews were over two days, and as well as the three interviews there was also a written logical thinking exam. Again, I think PPE is advantageous like that - you get three chances to impress rather than one (although the flip side is that each interview was with one person, whereas some single-subject courses had interviews with two or three interviewers - which makes the flow more awkward, but does help stop it going disasterously, I suspect]

To be honest, though, if you're on this board, I would think that already demonstrates enough interest, knowledge, aptitude and attitude to merit a place on any linguistic course. You'll probably find you know half the stuff already...

I know people have probably said all these things to you already, but... *shrugs*

Anyway, good luck with the interview!

[yes, it's more complicated, but it's also a way more exciting process - picking a college, extra forms, waiting for the interview offer, interviews, waiting for the offer... and if you're unlucky, missing your first college and having to wait in 'the pool', which I'm told is nervewracking in the extreme... I was lucky, in that my school was enthusiastic about sending people to oxbridge, so the burden of administration felt much less. We had explaining-the-process meetings for everyone interested, mock interviews (not many, but one can be a big difference in how comfortable you are with the format), the school checked up on whether we'd filled the forms out. It makes a huge difference, I think - my year ended up sending about a dozen people to oxbridge, whereas I knew people there who were the only person who had even applied from their school that year - and not necessarily because the school had worse grades, but just as a cultural thing. Some schools apparently actively discourage people from applying because they "won't fit in" (which is nonsense; everyone can fit in, there more than in most universities I think). ]
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Well Sal, it works like this.

I loved York when I visited, and it's my second choice after Cambridge. It also has the advantage of being an hour south of where we live, in case of emergencies.

Cambridge does do straight linguistics, with the normal slew of papers you can rope in from other courses (they still do ASNAC, by the way). It's only been around for 5-6 years, though Selwyn's had a fellow for it since 1973, if I remember correctly.

I partly chose Cambridge because it actually does proper linguistics and the other place doesn't, but also partly because my dad went to Trinity Hall when he read law (which he then later followed as a career before going to train as a priest).There are several reasons for Selwyn in particular: firstly because it's right next to the Sidgwick Site, where the Linguistics faculty is; secondly, it's an 'Anglican' college, so if my dad understood the chaplain (who used to serve both Selwyn and Trinity Hall, see above) when he had his chat with him, this means that Selwyn college is the one that will provide a bursary for me because I'm a son of the clergy: thirdly, given our situation as left-leaning clergy (and not very well-off either), we avoided the 'main' colleges like the plague; fourth, the fellow, Prof. David Willis, has specialities which correlate with mine very well (phonology, syntax and historical linguistics (particularly Slavic and Celtic)), and seems to be an all round nice guy; fifth, it's in a nice quiet part of town, which I prefer; and sixth I do like Victorian architecture, and I prefer Victorian stately homes to Georgian ones.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

My word, that's a lot of sensible thinking there!

Me, I just liked the statuery.

Best of luck with the interview, anyway.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I applied to do Maths at Cambridge, but I'm now in my second year at Warwick, and I can say that though I was disappointed, I don't regret a thing.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I went to York, it was nice.

I didn't exactly make the best choices about universities and courses, and perhaps if I went back I'd do things differently. At the same time, no regrets!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I submitted my IRB for my research. I have to await approval but I have my fingers crossed!
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

The haul of surprisingly cheap Old/Middle English scholastic tomes I ordered online arrived today. Time to geek out!
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

I am in Nürnberg. Time to raid the Christmas markets and eat all the Bratwurst. And Lebkuchen. And drink all the Glühwein. (insert excited bouncing)
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.