Happy Things Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by Gulliver »

Dewrad wrote:
Gulliver wrote:In the next month, I'm restarting a PGCE (post-grad teacher training), starting a BSL course and launching a pilot scheme helping young people with disabilities get paying work. Also, it's my birthday soon.
I start my NQT year on Monday. Pretty terrified. What are you doing your PGCE in?
FE/post-16. I'm actually already teaching and have been for about six months. Maths and English (and anything else, for that matter) for young adults with special educational needs. FE works differently than pre-16 education, but I'll have QTLS/QTS status at the end. I wouldn't touch mainstream schools with a bargepole after previous experience. Too much "getting the buggers to behave", not enough getting shit done. I'd much rather deal with mental health problems and students who cannot grasp that five 20pshave the same cumulative value as a pound than backchat and crowd control.

I started a MFL PGCE a few years ago, in a mainstream school. I'd describe it as being dragged through Hell and that was in a good school.

What are you teaching?

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Gulliver wrote:
Dewrad wrote:
Gulliver wrote:In the next month, I'm restarting a PGCE (post-grad teacher training), starting a BSL course and launching a pilot scheme helping young people with disabilities get paying work. Also, it's my birthday soon.
I start my NQT year on Monday. Pretty terrified. What are you doing your PGCE in?
FE/post-16. I'm actually already teaching and have been for about six months. Maths and English (and anything else, for that matter) for young adults with special educational needs. FE works differently than pre-16 education, but I'll have QTLS/QTS status at the end. I wouldn't touch mainstream schools with a bargepole after previous experience. Too much "getting the buggers to behave", not enough getting shit done. I'd much rather deal with mental health problems and students who cannot grasp that five 20pshave the same cumulative value as a pound than backchat and crowd control.

I started a MFL PGCE a few years ago, in a mainstream school. I'd describe it as being dragged through Hell and that was in a good school.

What are you teaching?
Secondary MFL (French, Spanish and Latin). My second placement school was very much like being dragged through Hell, but I've been lucky enough to get a job in a school where behaviour isn't a major issue. At the moment my problem is that I have completely forgotten how to plan lessons.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Just applied for a M.S. degree today. Hopefully, it will be successful and I will, come December, have yet another cool-looking sheet of paper which is actually relevant for the grant application I'm working on right now.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Good luck with the application.

I'm happy because we have a new PC. The last one was 14 years old and ran Windows XP so we'd stopped using it for internet. The new does what you say when you say it - which makes a nice change.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Ketumak wrote:The new does what you say when you say it
The magical pink unicorn of PCs!

JAL

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Eh? Oh, I see: "the new one" - of course!

Megandia
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Megandia »

I sent of my finished manuscript today! (Note, I edit books before they're published. I'm not published, myself, yet! But I will be!)

This will be my third one since I've started a few months ago! I am so thankful for this job, even if it doesn't pay my bills!
Have a Dr. Pepper with me?

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Free wi-fi. On the bus! Finally!! :-D

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

here's a happy thing: mark frost and david lynch are bringing twin peaks back on showtime in 2016, picking up 25 years after the story left off in 1991

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

GreenBowTie wrote:here's a happy thing: mark frost and david lynch are bringing twin peaks back on showtime in 2016, picking up 25 years after the story left off in 1991
Yay!

JAL

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

FINALLY, a hyped astronomical event that was actually visible in Chicago. (Hitherto, "Set your alarm and look up to the skies on [date]" has been code for "It will be overcast and probably raining on [date]".) Yeah, it wasn't a true "blood moon", but a full lunar eclipse is still nothing to sneeze at.

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

linguoboy wrote:FINALLY, a hyped astronomical event that was actually visible in Chicago. (Hitherto, "Set your alarm and look up to the skies on [date]" has been code for "It will be overcast and probably raining on [date]".) Yeah, it wasn't a true "blood moon", but a full lunar eclipse is still nothing to sneeze at.
I saw a bit of that eclipse. Clouds were moving around rapidly and it wasn't consistently visible, and I had to get ready for work before it ended, in any case.

Pressed Bunson
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pressed Bunson »

Hoemstar Runner came back!

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Passed an eligibility check for my Luxembourg funding application, meaning that my proposal will now go to the next and final stage of review. Can't help but feel like I'm getting my hopes up too high, but it feels less unlikely now than it did at the start of September.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Megandia
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Megandia »

I just got a call a few minutes ago that I finally have an hourly job! It'll just be part time at the library, but I've always wanted to work there! I think it will be a great fit for my contracting job as an editor, and maybe I can even help with donating a few of the ones I edit? But I'm so excited! I'll be getting a paycheck more than four times a year now! :D
Have a Dr. Pepper with me?

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Went to my first pride parade today :mrgreen:

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Theta wrote:Went to my first pride parade today :mrgreen:
What, no pics?

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Oh there are pictures. I just wasn't sure if they were wanted.

here's a guy riding an angry burrito:
http://i.imgur.com/3nEM17w.jpg

And here's some of your friends:
http://i.imgur.com/MKKNXeU.jpg

A lot of them didn't come out well because it was very bright outside and I got there pretty late. But maybe you will enjoy these.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Theta wrote:And here's some of your friends:
http://i.imgur.com/MKKNXeU.jpg
Oh, so sad! "Georgia's Premier Bear Club" can only muster up two marchers?

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I'm fairly sure there were others trailing behind, but I didn't manage to get a picture of them. Maybe they were intimidated by the leather/fetish people who were next:

http://i.imgur.com/IY0hqXC.jpg

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Or maybe the sight of the burrito guy made them feel peckish and they all hopped in their cars and drove off to Chipotle.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Theta wrote:I'm fairly sure there were others trailing behind, but I didn't manage to get a picture of them. Maybe they were intimidated by the leather/fetish people who were next:
I laff. There is so much overlap between the Bear and leather communities. Their flags are simply variations of each other and the first Bear Runs were often side events at larger leather gatherings (e.g. Bear Pride in Chicago, which started out as a picnic on the weekend of International Mr Leather and then took on a life of its own).

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

Even though I'm not much of a baseball fan, I'm still excited for my hometown team (KC Royals) making it to the World Series for the first time since 1985.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Herra Ratatoskr wrote:Even though I'm not much of a baseball fan, I'm still excited for my hometown team (KC Royals) making it to the World Series for the first time since 1985.
Even though it is completely out of character for me to root for any AL team, I may find that spite wins out if they end up facing the Giants.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is the best game