Happy Things Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by Ketumak »

Gulliver wrote:I went for a six mile run and it was lovely but I think my legs might fall off
Phew! Well done.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Risla wrote:Resuming my Japanese-learning efforts has given me something to actually do, which means I'm less depressed than I have been for the last few months. Also, I can already read about 200 kanji! (because I am a ridiculously all-or-nothing person, so learning Japanese entails flashcard drills for approximately seven hours a day). Also, I got a brush pen on Amazon, and it is making my kanji flashcards look pretty snazzy.
Awesome! I need to start learning more Mandarin characters [i.e. actually looking up the ones I don't know when I stumble on them in reading, instead of being lazy], although I'm at about 1825-ish now, which is not too shabby. I wish I had your dedication to do something for 7 hours straight ._.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

So ... two months after we asked and one month after the first failed attempt, British Telecom have connected us to fibre-optic broadband. They said it would be fast, and it is, it was just very slow to arrive. Still we got there in the end!

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

It's now early on Saturday afternoon and we've only recently got up. We got back from London at about three thirty in the morning after catching the last train.
We went to see our son and his fellow drama students perform an English-language stage adaptation of the Danish film Festen. It's a dark tale of family issues and the fall-out from them. Absolutely draining to watch close-up in a small studio, but unforgetable. Obviously I'm biased, but all the same, it was a great production.

Cúlro
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cúlro »

Rui wrote: although I'm at about 1825-ish now,
About 1825-ish? Four significant figures? That's a bizarrely specific approximation! I couldn't estimate how many I know more accurately than "a few thousand."

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Well I went through a list of 8,105 characters one by one, and the exact number based on that was 1799, but a) there might be some characters I know that weren't on the list from e.g. names or whatever, b) there's certainly characters I said I didn't know that I probably do because I didn't see them in context or paired with other characters in words I know (I counted characters I knew based on whether I could read them correctly, not necessarily if I knew their meaning, but there were surprisingly few I couldn't at least name a compound word it was in), c) human error because going through a 8,105-character list by hand can be exhausting. So I think I definitely know over 1800, but not quite 1850, so I went with the happy middle ground.

[And there's at least a few more completely useless characters I know now just because I went through that list, since I thought 鼐 nài, among others, was such a bizarre character that I had to look it up]

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I'm drunk. Who else here is a happy drunk?

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

The linguist was surprised when they heard the kid going "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz". What did they say?
More: show
Hold the phone!

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Morrígan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Morrígan »

I got my IPL system to remove hair from my face! I tested it on my chest and it didn't really hurt much. even on the highest setting, it felt like a very mild electric shock.

I was actually expecting it to be more painful, and it probably will be on my face. Tonight, I'm gonna try it out on the fringes of my beardline to test for pain and irritation.

In other good / mixed news, it's one more week until I go back to court and get this landlord dispute over with finally.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Astraios wrote:I'm drunk. Who else here is a happy drunk?
I'm not drunk today.

I was, presumably, drunk last Tuesday, though. I had drunk 300~400 ml of a cheap fruit "wine" (10,5% alcohol; a 700 ml bottle costs 3.99 PLN = ca. € 0.95) with a classmate. And then I went to school to write an exam. I'm curious what mark will I get.
I haven't seen that classmate of mine since then. I'm a little afraid.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

I've just translated a a webpages of Catalan into English. Got to go through, rechecking grammar and spelling and I can send it! Out of my hands... :mrgreen:
It was about time I changed this.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

Astraios wrote:I'm drunk. Who else here is a happy drunk?
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

In Quechua class I always get really excited about linguistics and grammar and stuff. This one professor is going to the class just out of interest, plus he's Peruvian so he speaks a little bit of Quechua himself. Well, he noticed how excited I always was about grammar and let me borrow some shiny new copies of all 3 volumes of Language Typology and Syntactic Description by Timothy Shopen. What a nice guy! :mrgreen:

CaesarVincens
Lebom
Lebom

Post by CaesarVincens »

So I officially finished my Master's thesis today, submitted to my university.

I had the basic idea for quite some time now having based it on a short paper I wrote last spring but I didn't really have a good framework for the thesis until about late January/early February. Since today (March 10) is the due date, I was appreciably stressed by the short amount of time I had, but I feel good about it. I think I gave a good accounting of the data.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

I finally got ConlangDictionary up to speed again! It's a little slow calculating phonological representations, but it works.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Cúlro
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cúlro »

I just downloaded the mac version from the link in your sig, but it doesn't work. Is there one compatible with the newer operating systems?

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

The Mac version had a problem where it wasn't linking in the right libraries, and I never got ahold of the person who compiled it to fix that. If you install Qt 4.8 it should work.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Morrígan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Morrígan »

I may have won my small-claims case. The county attorney adjudicating it seemed to think the apartment looked like it was in very good condition, which would contradict the position of the defendant, my former landlord. I'll know in a week or so.

I cannot describe the lack of stress I feel right now.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I'm ill and my head hurts and I'm on a sugar rush and sneezing myself into lightheadedness and it's such fun.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

My back hurts because I've been doing falls and rolls. I did an ukemi without support of my hands, and straight over my head, instead sideways over my shoulder. I also jumped over two people and fell on the floor quite well.

But it hurts, and tomorrow I'm gonna be stiff as hell.
It was about time I changed this.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I managed to save ¥80000 ($800) this month. Not drinking and eating so much has definitely gone some way towards that (as well as not having a city tax bill this month). Perhaps I should celebrate.

Morrígan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Morrígan »

ol bofosh wrote:My back hurts because I've been doing falls and rolls. I did an ukemi without support of my hands, and straight over my head, instead sideways over my shoulder. I also jumped over two people and fell on the floor quite well.

But it hurts, and tomorrow I'm gonna be stiff as hell.
I haven't done this in years! I used to be pretty good at it, which was a major boon - I was never good at fighting on my feet, but could usually win from the ground.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Fin: You have a monthly city tax bill? How much is it?
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

din wrote:Fin: You have a monthly city tax bill? How much is it?
Not quite monthly – it's sort of quarterly, but they send them out to people in June or July and the last one is due in February or March, so effectively I pay them every two months for about half the year. It's about $300 a pop. You can also pay it altogether if you want, and that's a bit over $1000. There's also my health insurance bill, which is monthly but again only issued in June or July, so there's a few months where I don't have to pay it. It was about $130/month last year. I'm expecting both of them to become more expensive this year for various reasons (particularly, I think my income last year was slightly higher than the first year, and the amount is based on that).

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

finlay wrote:
din wrote:Fin: You have a monthly city tax bill? How much is it?
Not quite monthly – it's sort of quarterly, but they send them out to people in June or July and the last one is due in February or March, so effectively I pay them every two months for about half the year. It's about $300 a pop. You can also pay it altogether if you want, and that's a bit over $1000. There's also my health insurance bill, which is monthly but again only issued in June or July, so there's a few months where I don't have to pay it. It was about $130/month last year. I'm expecting both of them to become more expensive this year for various reasons (particularly, I think my income last year was slightly higher than the first year, and the amount is based on that).
That's really high for an annual tax. I mean, France has an annual "residence tax" (tax d'habitation) that's based on what I presume is a notional rent value of a house/dwelling, and, for the place I was living in (27 m², 1 room), it would have been about €350 per year (If your income falls below a certain amount, however, your tax bill is adjusted accordingly.), but $1000 a year... damn. Makes me wonder if it's more akin to the municipal income taxes here in Ohio.

Happy: I may have a place to live for next year whose rent is quite a bit lower than the place in which I'm living now. So I happy. All that remains to be done, then, is making sure I have funding for the summer and the fall...
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.