Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by Pole, the »

Viktor77 wrote:I'm a bit giddy as apparently my views on the question of what kind of power the EU can most be described as being gives me a solid European orientation for an American. Every American in my class answered that the EU was most a market power. The one German, our Greek professor, and I, responded that it is more a normative power. The professor asked me if I had some sort of European connections because apparently he's consistently found this distinction when teaching this course (external relations of the EU). So it just made me momentarily happy that I see things from perhaps a more European perspective despite being American. This goes along with an interview I just did for a Belgian project called Faces of Europe (which a Belgian friend working for the project insisted I do despite not being European).

I'm a nerd. Deal with it. :)
Hello. A European here. I have no idea what you are talking about.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I'm feeling a bit less psychotic today.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

I finally got most of the Caber logograms digitized (all I have left to do of the extant glyphs are draw some of the prepositions).
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Memorial service was a tremendous success--even if I did arrive to set up nearly an hour later than planned, and once the guests had already arrived. It was all very participatory, though I seemed like the only one taking full advantage of the host bar.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

My passport now has a super-shiny Russian visa in it, so now I can attend a conference in Moscow in June. And it's at least looking like there'll be awesome results to report...
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

Turned in my dissertation to my committee!!! If I can defend it in a month, then I'll be DOCTOR kodé!

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

kodé wrote:Turned in my dissertation to my committee!!! If I can defend it in a month, then I'll be DOCTOR kodé!
Well, THAT's really cool! Congratulations! What's it about?

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

Risla wrote:
kodé wrote:Turned in my dissertation to my committee!!! If I can defend it in a month, then I'll be DOCTOR kodé!
It's about how cyclic computation of words in morphosyntax can result in recursion of prosodic words (a.k.a. phonological words). It's an integration of Phase Theory (in Minimalism and Distributed Morphology) with Optimality Theory and specifically Match Theory. I have two detailed case studies, on templatic morphology in Chukchansi Yokuts and the Stem in Creek/Muskogee. Then I have a (bullshit) typology chapter to round it out.
linguoboy wrote:
GrinningManiac wrote:Local pronunciation - /ˈtoʊ.stə/
Ah, so now I know where Towcester pastries originated! Cheers.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

kodé wrote:
Risla wrote:
It's about how cyclic computation of words in morphosyntax can result in recursion of prosodic words (a.k.a. phonological words). It's an integration of Phase Theory (in Minimalism and Distributed Morphology) with Optimality Theory and specifically Match Theory. I have two detailed case studies, on templatic morphology in Chukchansi Yokuts and the Stem in Creek/Muskogee. Then I have a (bullshit) typology chapter to round it out.
Sounds really cool! I will admit to being a sucker for OT. I'd love to try to read it if you wanted to send it this way, although in all honesty I'd probably get halfway through and give up (I don't remember much of minimalism or distributed morphology, and never read much about prosody).

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

kodé wrote:
Risla wrote:
That deserves a PhD on the basis of the description alone :-)
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

Risla wrote:
kodé wrote:
Risla wrote:
Sounds really cool! I will admit to being a sucker for OT. I'd love to try to read it if you wanted to send it this way, although in all honesty I'd probably get halfway through and give up (I don't remember much of minimalism or distributed morphology, and never read much about prosody).
I'll send it your way, for sure! PM me your email. OT is indeed pretty great. :)
alice wrote:That deserves a PhD on the basis of the description alone :-)
haha, i guess. lots of technical stuff in there. but there are some decently widely applicable generalizations.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

kodé wrote:
alice wrote:That deserves a PhD on the basis of the description alone :-)
haha, i guess. lots of technical stuff in there. but there are some decently widely applicable generalizations.
No doubt. I'm still trying to work out the difference between structural essentialism and essential structuralism, and how they relate to ambi-generative models of stochastic phonological processes.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Congratulations, kodé, and good luck! :)
Risla wrote:I will admit to being a sucker for OT.
I will admit to sucking at OT.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Congratulations!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Just eight paragraphs of my grandfather's war memoirs left to translate! I'm on a roll!

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

My band is on a roll! We're surely going to be ready for our concert on May 18!

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

Ryusenshi wrote:My band is on a roll! We're surely going to be ready for our concert on May 18!
sweeeet! what kind of music do you play?

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Le Pen lost. That's a happy thing.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Ars Lande wrote:Le Pen lost. That's a happy thing.

The number of commenters on the appropriate page of the BBC website who aren't happy is slightly less happy, however.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

alice wrote:
Ars Lande wrote:Le Pen lost. That's a happy thing.

The number of commenters on the appropriate page of the BBC website who aren't happy is slightly less happy, however.
I've checked BBC news out of curiosity, did they really call him the Big Mac?

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Happy thing: my second publication just went online. Took some time, but feels pretty good.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

I'll be honest--I tried reading the abstract and had no idea what half of it meant (neat stuff about a better way to make very tiny lenses, I got that much!). Nevertheless, that's very exciting!
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Same here. Congratulations anyway!

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Congratulations even though I couldn't understand it either!
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.