[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Happy Things Thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Happy Things Thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:22 am 
Sanno
Sanno

$1000 is really high!?

Quick research online suggests that a 1-bed flat in rayne's park, a not that nice but apparently not terrible part of south london, comes with about $2000 a year in council tax - and it's only that low because they've frozen the tax for the last three years!

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:10 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Do we really have to remind you that London is the most expensive place in the UK and not good for comparisons of what would be cheap there?

The tax isn't that bad really, just makes it difficult to save. I accidentally didn't fill in a certain form at the end of last year and got charged more than ¥30000 extra in income tax in January – that was a bit hard-hitting. I got it sorted for February, but I won't see that ¥30000 again until probably next January. You see in January and February I probably spent about the same amount of money, but in January I saved pretty much 0 because of that extra income tax and the city tax and the health insurance.

The other problem with tax is that the consumption tax/sales tax/VAT/whatever you wanna call it here is going up next month, just from 5% to 8%, which isn't a lot but means literally everything will be more expensive and literally nobody is getting a salary hike to compensate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:49 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:12 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

It's not based on your income in the UK? From what I gathered from Sal's post, it's related to the size of the property, which I suppose might show some correlation with income, but it's not exactly... progressive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:15 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

It's based on your income here, which means that the first year I came here I didn't pay it, because I had had no income the previous year to base it on. Also I don't know for sure yet but I think in the "city" (I still hesitate to call the suburbs that, since there's no boundary between here and the rest of Tokyo) I live in now it's higher than the district I was in at the beginning of last year, or so people have told me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:14 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:19 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I have been accepted to the CELTA course! I even survived the phone interview! (which combines two very anxiety-provoking things: phones and interviews).

|

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:58 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:38 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

For the longest time, I thought that the pen for my graphics tablet broke. Turns out the tablet was plugged into the wrong USB port, somehow. Yay!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:42 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Shouldn't they all work?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:22 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:53 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Do other devices respond normally when connected to that specific port?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:20 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp
There's nothing like a calçotada. Mmm, barbecued spring onions dipped in romesco sauce, accompanied by a glass of good red wine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:33 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Won my small-claims case, I got a refund for my useless IPL system, have a laser consultation this weekend, and my nipples have been non-stop tender for the last three days. Guess that means things are turning out in my favor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:55 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Happy to hear, especially the nipple thing :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:25 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:06 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:23 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:24 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:33 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:04 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:34 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I finished an essay on the relationships between Arabic, Hebrew, Russian, and Yiddish, and I didn't even get angry or frustrated with it one time. I actually enjoyed writing it. Yaay! And I came up with a theory about an Arabic loanword in Hebrew which I haven't heard before, so if it's correct and someone has written about it before, I still thought of it on my own, which is yay (and if it's wrong it's wrong, but meh).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:11 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

1) Despite a setback this weekend, I now have another consultation for laser hair removal in a couple of days. This weekend, I'd gone to one and came away very disappointed when I found out that they didn't charge per-session, but want patients to enter into a 12 month payment plan totaling $4600.

2) TMI: My breasts are sore, and the spironolactone is causing me to lactate a tiny bit. Despite being uncomfortable and a little weird, it's pretty awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next