[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Happy Things Thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Happy Things Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:30 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:37 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:47 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

So ... two months after we asked and one month after the first failed attempt, British Telecom have connected us to fibre-optic broadband. They said it would be fast, and it is, it was just very slow to arrive. Still we got there in the end!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:31 am 
Lebom
Lebom

It's now early on Saturday afternoon and we've only recently got up. We got back from London at about three thirty in the morning after catching the last train.
We went to see our son and his fellow drama students perform an English-language stage adaptation of the Danish film Festen. It's a dark tale of family issues and the fall-out from them. Absolutely draining to watch close-up in a small studio, but unforgetable. Obviously I'm biased, but all the same, it was a great production.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:35 am 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:51 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Well I went through a list of 8,105 characters one by one, and the exact number based on that was 1799, but a) there might be some characters I know that weren't on the list from e.g. names or whatever, b) there's certainly characters I said I didn't know that I probably do because I didn't see them in context or paired with other characters in words I know (I counted characters I knew based on whether I could read them correctly, not necessarily if I knew their meaning, but there were surprisingly few I couldn't at least name a compound word it was in), c) human error because going through a 8,105-character list by hand can be exhausting. So I think I definitely know over 1800, but not quite 1850, so I went with the happy middle ground.

[And there's at least a few more completely useless characters I know now just because I went through that list, since I thought 鼐 nài, among others, was such a bizarre character that I had to look it up]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:52 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I'm drunk. Who else here is a happy drunk?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:19 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

The linguist was surprised when they heard the kid going "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz". What did they say?

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:45 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I got my IPL system to remove hair from my face! I tested it on my chest and it didn't really hurt much. even on the highest setting, it felt like a very mild electric shock.

I was actually expecting it to be more painful, and it probably will be on my face. Tonight, I'm gonna try it out on the fringes of my beardline to test for pain and irritation.

In other good / mixed news, it's one more week until I go back to court and get this landlord dispute over with finally.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:49 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp
I've just translated a a webpages of Catalan into English. Got to go through, rechecking grammar and spelling and I can send it! Out of my hands... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:44 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:12 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

In Quechua class I always get really excited about linguistics and grammar and stuff. This one professor is going to the class just out of interest, plus he's Peruvian so he speaks a little bit of Quechua himself. Well, he noticed how excited I always was about grammar and let me borrow some shiny new copies of all 3 volumes of Language Typology and Syntactic Description by Timothy Shopen. What a nice guy! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:14 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

So I officially finished my Master's thesis today, submitted to my university.

I had the basic idea for quite some time now having based it on a short paper I wrote last spring but I didn't really have a good framework for the thesis until about late January/early February. Since today (March 10) is the due date, I was appreciably stressed by the short amount of time I had, but I feel good about it. I think I gave a good accounting of the data.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:20 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I finally got ConlangDictionary up to speed again! It's a little slow calculating phonological representations, but it works.

()

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:14 am 
Sanci
Sanci

I just downloaded the mac version from the link in your sig, but it doesn't work. Is there one compatible with the newer operating systems?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:10 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

The Mac version had a problem where it wasn't linking in the right libraries, and I never got ahold of the person who compiled it to fix that. If you install it should work.

()

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:17 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I may have won my small-claims case. The county attorney adjudicating it seemed to think the apartment looked like it was in very good condition, which would contradict the position of the defendant, my former landlord. I'll know in a week or so.

I cannot describe the lack of stress I feel right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:32 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I'm ill and my head hurts and I'm on a sugar rush and sneezing myself into lightheadedness and it's such fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:59 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp
My back hurts because I've been doing falls and rolls. I did an ukemi without support of my hands, and straight over my head, instead sideways over my shoulder. I also jumped over two people and fell on the floor quite well.

But it hurts, and tomorrow I'm gonna be stiff as hell.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:17 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I managed to save ¥80000 ($800) this month. Not drinking and eating so much has definitely gone some way towards that (as well as not having a city tax bill this month). Perhaps I should celebrate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:48 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Fin: You have a monthly city tax bill? How much is it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:48 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

In search of subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 39  Next