[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Happy Things Thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Happy Things Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:43 am 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:53 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:58 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

In search of subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:45 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

First known on here as Karero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:48 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Usually if I go out late of a Saturday, I'm useless the following Sunday: Irritable, sluggish, cranky, and just generally unproductive and unpleasant to be around.

This weekend my cranky day was Saturday. Yesterday I was in an awesome mood from my trip to the beach and it's carried through this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:12 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

My team works from home on Mondays, and today I decided to stay over at my parents' (we have the Fourth off tomorrow for Independence Day), so I'm working from there.

That was a really, really good decision, because it is beautiful out, and I'm working from their deck, accompanied by my mother's hens that occasionally come up to see what I'm doing. (and then I freak out, because I think they'll peck at my feet...)

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:27 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:37 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:59 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:47 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Re swords: no, I wasn't thinking of any ancient traditions, I was referring to , which I had seen on the exact same day as Frislander's post. Sorry for being too obscure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:28 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:05 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:23 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

For the most part, my new laptop is set up, except that I still have yet to switch the Debian install to Debian testing and the video driver to nvidia from nouveau. It dual boots into both Windows 10 and Debian, and much to my surprise scrolling with the trackpad actually works (which was a surprise since the trackpad did not work at all in the Debian installer). The whole installation process was quite painless as whole aside from that getting the system to boot from thumb drives was quite tricky, and getting the boot menu to come up in the first place was annoying. Turning off Secure Boot at least was easy once I got into the boot menu. I do like that the screen is quite large, but the downside of that is that the laptop is definitely on the heavy side.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:49 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I can actually get into the flow in working on my own projects again, and this isn't a fluke lasting only a few days. This really is wonderful, as I so, so missed working on my own projects outside of work, and hated that I just couldn't do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:02 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:44 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

My ACTFL OPI* rating for French came back and I got advanced high. I'm very happy with that as it's one level short of the highest level superior (well, there can also be distinguished but it's rare). Your average educated native speaker is likely superior so for a second-language speaker I'm happy. My French rater told me I was on the cusp since I was tested using superior scenarios but it was too hard to maintain the conversations. I had to talk about how to convince people to support green energy and how to combat loss of employment due to automation which is difficult enough in English let alone French.

*It should be noted that these ratings are for oral skills and not writing or reading skills. My writing and reading skills are likely a bit lower because I learned French through so many informal channels that I never had the opportunity to really refine my writing and reading skills. I can read novels but I couldn't comfortably read something like La Comédie humaine in French and I couldn't write up beautiful prose in French without consulting dictionaries and whatnot.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:19 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Just got back from a really excellent vacation in Yellowstone National Park! (and Grand Teton National Park. And Arches National Park. And Rocky Mountain National Park. We sort of ended up doing an unplanned driving tour of the entire Western US)

Here is a picture of a bison for your viewing pleasure:

(might be too wide, I tried to resize it but it's not quite small enough)

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:42 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I don't identify as a boy.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:45 am 
Sanci
Sanci

I was going to post this in the 'What are you playing' thread, but it actually seemed more appropriate here.

I've been playing a lot of Breath of the Wild lately. It's the first game in, like, at least five years that I've really had fun with. I got out of gaming for a long time due to life (mental health difficulties, mostly), and found I had a lot of trouble getting back into it; games just didn't feel the same as they did when I was younger, in some way that was hard to pinpoint. I was wondering if perhaps I'd just grown out of gaming, and that bothered me a lot. I really don't enjoy TV or movies much, or written fiction, for that matter. Games were basically the only narrative medium that appealed to me. It felt crappy, not having any type of narrative or creative work that I enjoyed taking in on any kind of regular basis. Anyway, I started playing BotW and actually felt myself wanting to play it. Not, like, twice a month, but every day. And somehow it's managed to capture the magic games once had for me, to a certain extent. It's not a perfect game, by any means, but it's literally the first game in years I've actually enjoyed; it's one of the few creative works in that time that's managed to inspire much emotion in me at all. I'm really happy about it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:34 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

That's awesome! I'm currently having similar feelings about Morrowind; I like games, but I just haven't cared that much about them lately, which I regretted... until I started playing Morrowind. (and now I can't stop!)

With videogames, for me at least, the feeling of actually experiencing whatever-it-is that the story is about is just enjoyable in a special way that books and movies can't mimic. Sometimes, you don't wanna read about or watch someone else be the hero... sometimes you wanna be the hero.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:10 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

So the A-Level results are in an it's official; I'm headed for Selwyn college! There's stuff I need to deal with first before I head off on 1 of October, but now at least I'm certain that's where I'm headed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:37 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:30 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Thirded

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next