zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 pm 
Sanci
Sanci
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:03 pm
Posts: 55
Location: Slowly coming this way
I use X-SAMPA because I am incredibly lazy.

_________________
Quote:
You killed yourself. By waving a scientist around.

-is female-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:30 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:02 pm
Posts: 779
Location: Brussels
I prefer IPA, but I know XSampa because I see it so often and my IPA keyboard layout is basically XSampa based.

I just have press alt-shift-2 to activate it in any program.

Sometimes that does lead to me trying to log onto some website with IPA characters...

_________________
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:12 am 
Lebom
Lebom
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:11 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Green Mountains
dinnae wrote:
Sometimes that does lead to me trying to log onto some website with IPA characters...

I've accidentally activated IPA entry while playing a game, making me think my keyboard had gone berserk making every punctuation character I typed come out as ?.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:22 am 
Smeric
Smeric
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:55 am
Posts: 1542
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada
eodrakken wrote:
doctrellor wrote:
And notepad doesn't do IPA ... :(
It can, though of course you have to bring your own entry method, like a keyboard layout. Then when you save the file, change the encoding to UTF-8 in the dropdown box.

Doctrellor: Also remember to set the font to one that can handle IPA well, like Charis SIL or Doulos SIL.

Eodrakken: Do you know if there's any difference between selecting "UTF-8" and "Unicode"?

_________________
ZBB Conlang Index (check first post)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:28 am 
Lebom
Lebom
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:11 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Green Mountains
Neqitan wrote:
Eodrakken: Do you know if there's any difference between selecting "UTF-8" and "Unicode"?

I believe UTF-8 is preferable for compatibility reasons, but I'm unclear on the details. Both encodings work for saving and opening IPA text files in Notepad, at least on my computer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:38 pm 
Niš
Niš

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:52 am
Posts: 13
What notepad.exe calls "Unicode" is more specifically known as UTF-16. UTF-16 is vastly inferior to UTF-8 in terms of ASCII compatibility, cross-platform support, storage size (for latin based texts), and resilience in the face of file corruption.

Use UTF-8.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:06 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:13 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Another place
I use IPA (SIL keyboard layout), but diacritics turn up very ugly because of the font used. Though it seems that certain letter-combining diacritic combinations are automatically converted to precomposed characters on my system when submitting. (Firefox 3.5, Windows XP SP3, if anyone has info.)

Everything else about IPA works fine, though.

_________________
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?


Last edited by Bedelato on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:08 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:13 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Another place
Renaçido wrote:
eodrakken wrote:
doctrellor wrote:
And notepad doesn't do IPA ... :(
It can, though of course you have to bring your own entry method, like a keyboard layout. Then when you save the file, change the encoding to UTF-8 in the dropdown box.

Doctrellor: Also remember to set the font to one that can handle IPA well, like Charis SIL or Doulos SIL.

Eodrakken: Do you know if there's any difference between selecting "UTF-8" and "Unicode"?


Also, Notepad doesn't handle diacritics right. (Try it, you'll see.)

_________________
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:29 pm 
Lebom
Lebom
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:11 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Green Mountains
Bedelato wrote:
Also, Notepad doesn't handle diacritics right. (Try it, you'll see.)

What type of diacritics are you trying to make it handle? Are you trying to do combining diacritics and stuff? It can display all the single ones I've ever thrown at it, though of course they make the letters look teeny and odd. But, I mean, it's Notepad. Nobody claimed it was pretty, just that you can make it work if it's all you have available.

_________________
Tirase | Iŋomœ (Akana)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:55 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:31 pm
Posts: 267
Location: Lund
Unilang has an inline X-SAMPA to IPA converter on the reply page. You just type X-SAMPA like you normally would, highlight it, press a button, and voilà, IPA. It uses the same software as this board, so it should be possible to implement here too.

_________________
Attention, je pelote !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:13 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Another place
eodrakken wrote:
Bedelato wrote:
Also, Notepad doesn't handle diacritics right. (Try it, you'll see.)

What type of diacritics are you trying to make it handle? Are you trying to do combining diacritics and stuff? It can display all the single ones I've ever thrown at it, though of course they make the letters look teeny and odd. But, I mean, it's Notepad. Nobody claimed it was pretty, just that you can make it work if it's all you have available.


Yeah. When I type a combining diacritic in Notepad on XP, it doesn't show up until I hit backspace. But it looks like they fixed it in Vista.

WordPad works fine though. Plus you can do formatting, though I'm not sure if cross-platform RTF support is very good...
The only complaint I have with WordPad is every time I paste a string with theta in it, it sets the script to Greek and the font to Arial. It's a real pain to change back.

Also with Vista, the Windows core fonts (Arial, Courier New, etc.) got IPA support. YAY :mrgreen:

_________________
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:16 am 
Smeric
Smeric
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:55 am
Posts: 1542
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada
Bedelato wrote:
Renaçido wrote:
Doctrellor: Also remember to set the font to one that can handle IPA well, like Charis SIL or Doulos SIL.

Eodrakken: Do you know if there's any difference between selecting "UTF-8" and "Unicode"?


Also, Notepad doesn't handle diacritics right. (Try it, you'll see.)
I learned this fact later on, when experimenting with the wobatadaleyidun thing, yes. :)
Ulrike Meinhof wrote:
Unilang has an inline X-SAMPA to IPA converter on the reply page. You just type X-SAMPA like you normally would, highlight it, press a button, and voilà, IPA. It uses the same software as this board, so it should be possible to implement here too.
I'd suggest you to simply bookmark this page, it does the same thing as Unilang's converter, with less hassle.

http://www.conlanger.com/xipa.html

_________________
ZBB Conlang Index (check first post)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:37 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:31 pm
Posts: 267
Location: Lund
Renaçido wrote:
I'd suggest you to simply bookmark this page, it does the same thing as Unilang's converter, with less hassle.

http://www.conlanger.com/xipa.html

I use it all the time. Except on Unilang, because having an inline converter is so much easier.

_________________
Attention, je pelote !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:56 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:17 pm
Posts: 880
Location: Llundain
Torco wrote:
because it can be input easily. IPA is a pain in the ass... what I tend to do is to input stuff in xsampa and then, if I feel like it, I use the ipa-xsampa translator.

Someone should come up with a keyboard layout that allows for easy IPA input and upload it


I have one, vaguely. It lacks a lot of the important symbols but microsoft keyboard developer won't let me modify it for some reason.

_________________
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:56 am 
Smeric
Smeric
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:55 am
Posts: 1542
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada
YngNghymru wrote:
Torco wrote:
because it can be input easily. IPA is a pain in the ass... what I tend to do is to input stuff in xsampa and then, if I feel like it, I use the ipa-xsampa translator.

Someone should come up with a keyboard layout that allows for easy IPA input and upload it


I have one, vaguely. It lacks a lot of the important symbols but microsoft keyboard developer won't let me modify it for some reason.
Hmm, maybe there's something you're not doing right. If it's like a normal layout, install the keyboard, open MKLC, and then load the keyboard. You should be able to save your editions as a different brand-new keyboard.

Unless it's some program that runs in the background or something, that you can't edit with MKLC.

_________________
ZBB Conlang Index (check first post)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:14 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 698
Location: United Kingdom
It's quick and easy.

_________________
næn:älʉː


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:53 pm 
Lebom
Lebom
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:55 pm
Posts: 132
Location: 常世
To repost what I've mentioned before, for those having trouble viewing the IPA characters and diacritics on this board due to the CSS font restrictions, you can create yourself a bookmark and add the following as the page URL:
Code:
javascript:(function(){doc=document.getElementsByTagName('td');for(i=0;i<doc.length;i++){doc[i].style.fontFamily='MS Arial Unicode','DejaVu Sans','Everson Mono Unicode','Charis SIL','GF Zemen Unicode','Geez Unicode';}})();

Just click on the bookmark when you need it. It should work on all major browsers, including Firefox, Chrome, Maxthon 3, Safari, and probably Opera, but not Internet Explorer.

_________________
Chances are it's Ryukyuan (Resources).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:07 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:13 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Another place
I think what you mean there is "Arial Unicode MS".

_________________
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group