[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Restrictive use of IPA...

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:06 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:10 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I always avoided it because it's so much work to type. I have to get Character Map and individually paste each character into the post. X-SAMPA allows me to indicate any phoneme without having to paste obscure characters or even use alt-codes (though I have no difficulty with those). And as others have said, it doesn't always work, and in that case renders whatever you put unreadable.

"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:16 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:20 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

There are occasions when I just want to write down some phonetic notation quickly and easily, and for that I may use X-SAMPA. Otherwise for my own notes, at least for things I've settled on and polished, I use exclusively IPA. I still use X-SAMPA on the board for compatibility, though. Aside from the board having issues with Unicode, some users also may not be able to use it reliably.

Delith nerektos keto doth mül so mili.
Reflections of fear cast shadows of nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:21 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Or, just get your hands on the IPA Keyboard; I use it when I can't remember the XSAMPA for some feature, like dentalization or whatever.

http://weston.ruter.net/projects/ipa-ch ... /keyboard/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:01 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:19 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:31 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:03 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 am 
Lebom
Lebom

To be honest, I think a lot more people use IPA online than did a few years ago. I am routinely surprised to see posts using IPA where, when I first joined the board, I would have expected to see X-SAMPA. I still use X-SAMPA by default online (although not usually elsewhere, unless I'm in a hurry and not bothered about presentation), because I automatically assume IPA won't work. I'm not sure that's true anymore, but it's the mindset I've got myself into all the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:08 am 
Niš
Niš

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:57 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:32 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Are there freely available IPA input methods for Windows anyway, that are easy to setup and edit?

Like, I'm using m17n for UIM on Ubuntu. All you need to do to make an input method for that is editing a plain text file, because m17n works with Lisp. I still haven't figured out why AltGr breaks things, so that I can't use X-Sampa's \ but have to resort to /. `~{} are not possible either as diacritics, sadly, so that I'm using other characters as replacements (that I always have to look up :| ). Or at least I don't know how to work around that.

aɪ ts̠ɹaɪ tʰə jʉːz aɪ pʰiː‿ˈɛɪ ɔn ðə bɔːd ˈmɔɹ‿ɔfn̩ naʊ ˈðæɾaɪm ˈeɪbɫ̩ tʰʉʊ ˈæktʰɪveɪɾɪd‿n̩ tʰaɪpət mɔɹ‿ˈiːzəɫi

Last edited by Guitarplayer II on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:40 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 am 
Lebom
Lebom

For Windows I use , which was made using the tool Nortaneous just linked. The source file is in there, so it might save you some time if it's almost what you want, but you just want to tweak it a little.

I tend to use IPA now that I have an easy input method, but in discussion I usually use whatever transcription method the person I'm replying to is using. Unicode support is better than it used to be, true, but there are still plenty of reasons someone might not be using IPA. For one, they might be using a work, school, or library computer where they're not even allowed to install fonts and/or keyboard layouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:19 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Speaking of all this, is there a way (in Chromium specifically) to override the font selection, peferably just on the board without affecting every other site? The default fonts used are fine until you start mixing them with fonts that actually contain all of the characters used around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:32 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I'm sure there's a Firefox extension to do what you want. (But Firefox generally does the right thing with font substitutions anyway.) :P And perhaps a Chrome one as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:39 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:14 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:18 am 
Lebom
Lebom

there are still many browsers which don't have the right fonts for IPA, e.g. The phone I'm on now. X-Sampa is more accessible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:42 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:22 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:52 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:56 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I usually use X-Sampa here because in the past, IPA almost always showed up as boxes or question marks. As someone with academic linguistic training though, I use IPA everywhere else, because I'm more used to it and it's easier for me to read.