The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The dream thread

Post by Shm Jay »

As they were preparing for war, were they playing music in the style of No? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I dreamt I was training someone in how to be a CIA agent.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Shm Jay wrote:As they were preparing for war, were they playing music in the style of No? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I dreamt I was training someone in how to be a CIA agent.
My god, I hate that album with a burning passion.

My latest dream... had to do with meeting a student in the bathroom... and then we were walking down the street... and then we were chased by something creepy... and then we took refuge in my garage, only it was shaped weirdly...

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Shm Jay wrote:As they were preparing for war, were they playing music in the style of No? :mrgreen:
No, the music just faded out. But I was puzzled how they could be so merry when they were preparing for a war. Well, dreams are not always internally consistent ;)
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I woke up at 10am today: I dreamt me and my girlfriend, who was also a female friend of mine, because dreams are weird, were running away from the city into some town in the mountains because of some heinous crime i had commited. then i went back to sleep, because i was still tired and had no reason to stay awake.

I dreamt that i was like a shapeshifter, meaning i could take the form of an animal. Then i was many people, kind of in a Bioware game. In the party there was a mage who shifted into a rabbit. Many adventures were had, but i don't well remember them. We met gandalf, who instructed us to go get some magical mecha that was kind of reminiscent of dwemer technology from TES and we got caught by the Empire... not the TES empire just some empire. our house was burned, and we as a party were trying to escape the concentration camp we were in, and in that moment i was waken by my cellphone. It was 840pm.

I haven't slept this late since years. It was awesome.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

I dreamed the US and Russia had decided to settle the Ukraine dispute with a basketball game instead of a war. Regulation play ended in a tie, 82-82. Didn't get to see what happened in overtime because I woke up.

I'm not sure what significance the number 82 has in this - 1982 was the year the Falklands War happened, and the US/Soviets came close to accidentally sparking a nuclear war in 1983... maybe it's a date? August 2? February 8?
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I was in a cave made of blue crystals and fought a giant enemy crab/scorpion and some evil guys in suits, using my lightning bolt powers. I was on a team with two friends doing this and we all got a huge bag of gold coins for our victory. We went to put them back in my car but after the room with the evil suit guys it opened up into my grandma's house, where we were having a family get together. The annoyingness of the situation woke me up, so I never got to do anything with the gold coins. ):

Cúlro
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cúlro »

Shm Jay wrote:I like the idea of the Five Women of Duran Duran. It sounds like a lost Bertolt Brecht play.
I only just saw this. Awesome

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

I finally remembered some of a bizarre dream I had last night... one of my male cousins got pregnant and went into labor. That's about all I remember but when I woke up I was like wtf...

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I dreamt I was some boy in Japan, who managed to escape from school, and was walking around. I saw the boarded up store of the Doubleday book store chain, which had gone bankrupt. I saw three McDonald's on my walk, and tried to go to the farthest one, but found it was attached to a weird megaevangelical church to provide food for when the worshippers got out of service. So I walked back to the biggest one, only to find I had no yen in my wallet, just US dollars.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

bulbaquil wrote:maybe it's a date? August 2? February 8?
Nothing happened on either of those days involving the Cold War in the 80s, but for what it's worth, Elizabeth II became queen on February 8, 1952.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

I don't often remember dreams, but a couple of nights ago I dreamt I was dead and buried in a shallow grave. I lay there dreaming (within the dream) and then I noticed that I was dreaming and therefore couldn't really be dead. So I arose, sending a shower of earth flying and climbed out with great relief.

I have no idea what this all means, if anything. I had just finished reading "The tombs of Atuan" by Ursula Le Guin and whilst that's vaguely in the right field, it's not a great parallel.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I had a dream about riding around on a motorcycle with my father, we were going to a cousin's house to clean it and put stuff in boxes (probably in order to sell the home). There were all sorts of weird items that have no real-life practicality, such as a weird light fixture cover that in reality would probably be impossible to use, but my father claimed it was a family heirloom and represented our family. (It was some kind of trefoil shape).

So we cleaned some more, and I remember getting disgusted about finding a bunch of paper plates with a message and phone number written on it, from a cousin on my grandfather's side, (like my great uncle's family or something), and it was practically begging to be willed all the stuff in the house and that she'd take it immediately. I don't know this cousin very well in real life, but I have no animosity toward her, so this part of the dream was weird.

The dream took a sudden disastrous turn when we had a volcanic eruption very nearby to the house. My dad and I ran out of the house and tried to escape on foot, heading towards the lake/ocean, when we were swept up and killed by the lahar flow/pyroclastic flow. (I have lots of volcano dreams, don't ask me why, I think it has to do with my childhood love of volcanology).

But instead of the dream ending, I was swept back in time with all my knowledge of what happened, and I tried to convince my father of the impending danger. He didn't believe me, so I tried to turn on a TV or radio, hoping that there'd be a warning of the eruptions so that I could make him believe me.

Unfortunately, the TV and radio did not work, as there was (in my dream logic) too much electromagnetic interference from this massive building eruption to receive any clear signal.

So I left my father behind, ran to a school to see if I could warn people, but there seemed to be a slight panic already, as if people knew the danger, but weren't sure about it, or weren't sure they could escape or something.

And that was the end of the dream. :S
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Particles the Greek »

Linguistics-related dream: I was in the library belonging to either my secondary school or university, and I gravitated towards the linguistics section, where I found several Teach Yourself books, including Teach Yourself Eastern Finnish.
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

lammansjåls

Post by Soap »

My quiet roommate left and i didnt get a chance to ask if he was leaving for good or staying over hte summer. i was depressed so i want back to bed. soon the people came to take away his furniture, etc, and i saw a beanbag like thing that was a game boy display,. and other video game stuff. oddly his computer was very outdated even though he worked with comptuers and had enough money presumably to buy a new one. a blond boy with very short running shorts was there and one of the other people said he was my new roommate. it seemed he was even more quiet than the last one which was good and unexpected. he said he was a foreign exchange student from sweden named ______ Utterberg (i dont remember first name). and he was like a cariacture of a foreign exhcange student ,who sees america only as a way to get a degree and is not interested in american culture or assimilating and thinks everyone will love him as he is and not make fun of hm. on a survey he said his favorite food was “lammansjåls” and a word for octopus that I dont remember . Our school (even though in real life i graduated long ago) accomodates everyone';s favorite food so I laughed about them trying to get lammansjåls on the menu ... it wouldnt even fit on the cards they used to identify foods. then we started talking about food and playing a board game in which he won $2 by picking up a very obvious yellow square where the rest was blue. this made me slightly angry, but i pretended to be very angry for the context of the game and that woke me up.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I just woke up from my first nightmare in ages.

It started off as just your average exploring mazelike houses dream, and then I thought I woke up, and I was absolutely convinced that I was awake to the point where I was conscious but still dreaming. I've had dreams like this before and they inevitably go horribly wrong, but I didn't know I was dreaming yet, so I walked upstairs and there was my sister's friend (who's currently in Florida), and she was trying to flirt with me in a really awkward 17-year-old girl way. And then I couldn't remember why I'd come upstairs, and I went downstairs feeling a bit confused, but downstairs *was* upstairs, in that dreamworld way, and that left me feeling really spaced-out and irritable. Then I had the feeling I was being pursued, or at least stalked, and I was trying to go into a room I thought was my bedroom but somehow it was downstairs, and my mum was looking at me like I was drunk so I tried to act like I wasn't, and I stumbled about through the dream and I'd apparently been sleeping in a puddle of glue so my chin was stuck to my upper lip and it was all in my hair and disgusting, and I pulled it off as I was blundering around, and the pursuing feeling got heavier, and I ran outside, but it all looked fine so I thought I'd just been having a bad hangover, and then I turned back to the house and saw my father staring at me from a window, and I stopped dead and shouted at my sister, "What the fuck is he doing here?" I ran around the side of the house out of his view and stopped, and I was convinced I'd woken up out of a really bad trip, and even he'd come out of worry. And then I suddenly felt like I was about to die, right there, and I tried to run away but my sisters were holding me back and apparently trying to calm me down, but when they got hold of me they turned into some sort of vampire monster things and were trying to claw me and eat me. I did manage to hold one of them's head away from my neck for a while, but she stuck her slimy pointed tongue out and reached my ear and tasted it, and she was clawing my skin and the back of my neck and I was yelling "Let go!" all the time but nothing happened except feeling claws and slime and fangs, and then it was suddenly like swimming upwards and I really woke up.

Like I said this has happened before, and it usually seems to be when I fall asleep in stages and drift very gradually into a sort of halfsleep (but a very deep one) rather than just normal sleep, but this time I was really convinced I was awake, and it was exceedingly horrid.

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

bulbaquil wrote:I dreamed the US and Russia had decided to settle the Ukraine dispute with a basketball game instead of a war. Regulation play ended in a tie, 82-82. Didn't get to see what happened in overtime because I woke up.

I'm not sure what significance the number 82 has in this - 1982 was the year the Falklands War happened, and the US/Soviets came close to accidentally sparking a nuclear war in 1983... maybe it's a date? August 2? February 8?
The famous. Olympic basketball game between the USA and the ussr was played in 1972.
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Had a dream that I was at a wedding between a family member and a human-looking alien. Their species came to Earth to settle here, and many married into human families.The aliens seem to look very similar to each other, are all male-looking, and are usually very silent and calm, not showing much intense emotion. I was looking at some alien flowers that were brought to Earth, they looked like large tulips or daffodils with no leaves, and a single bell-shaped inflorescence that are bluish green. After a moment, I tell my mom that I'm marrying one of the aliens (all happen to be male, but are somehow able to be pregnant or impregnate human women). It's difficult to explain my fiancé's name, telling her it is Maro Maruo, but that it is also longer, at least 4 names, and that they use binomials to "fit in" on Earth. I try to write down his full name, but as it changes frequently (due to tradition), I write down the name he had when I met him. It was Maro Maruo xxxxx Teketel (the X'ed part is what I can't remember).

That was the end of the dream, at least this part. Thought about turning this into a short story.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

I went to the Old Port Sandwich Shoppe in Portland, Maine. It is very sunny and breezy out and they have outdoor seating so I place my order and then walk outside to eat it. It only cost $2.50 for a large hotdog with sauerkraut, beans, some other side dish I don't remember, plus a large soda and containers of the other things so I could take home what I didn't finish. It was an extremely good deal and I realized I only had been there once before because for some reason I only ate there when the weather was sunny and cool.

This is a blend of the best things about a few real restaurants in this area all merged in my mind into the perfect restaurant. It helps also that before I went to sleep I was thinking of a madeup restaurant called Vegetarian's Nightmare which had a sign out front that said "Buy 15 Hotdogs and get a Tub of Ice Cream free!" which is true to my real-life eating habits lately.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I dreamt I had to kill one of my coworkers because he'd turned into a zombie, but after I'd gone to grab a towel to wrap the corpse in for disposal, I couldn't find it, only the severed head. I complained about this aloud and one of my associates, an experienced zombie-killer, said, "I've never seen that happen before." "That's reassuring," I replied, as I scooped up the head and chucked it outside into a puddle.

TinyMusic
Niš
Niš

Post by TinyMusic »

I had a kinda surrealist dream this morning.

By chance I happened to take part in an orgy organised by the elite assholes in my school (rich and the like). They hired a hotel room, with 4 beds next to each other, each bed with one 'slutty' girl from my school. A table was placed to hand in money to pay for it. I went to the one on the far right, with a blonde chick, which for some reason no one bothered to go to (most went to the one furthest to the left, a brunette). As I walked slowly to her bed, she looked at me, then to her friend, covered their mouths with their hands and laughed, then her friend left. I got to her bed, where I pulled a blanket over ourselves for some privacy. She was lying down near the edge of the bed, and I was on top of her in a dominant position. I touched her waist and she felt slightly smaller. She continued to smile. She was already in her bra and underwear, and I wanted to take them off (considering the fact that I never saw her naked before). She covered her bra with her right arm, and so she moved her left arm to cover it as well, while moving her right arm away. I forcefully removed her left arm, and found that there was a large circular hole where her breasts would be, with her inner parts hollow. I noticed that she placed a lid-like figure on the floor with her right arm, and fiddled a bit with her to get it. It was the part for her breasts. I placed it neatly into the hole. I was about to penetrate her until I realised that when I touched her skin, it became plastic. She became completely still, like a toy.

Thoughts?

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

final image reminded me of one of those second generation sexdolls the japanese are making.
creepy.

TinyMusic
Niš
Niš

Post by TinyMusic »

Torco wrote:final image reminded me of one of those second generation sexdolls the japanese are making.
creepy.
She still look so real, only that her skin is plastic.

Torco, don't you do Freudian analyses? Help me out on this one.

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

I dreamt LePage was up to 69% in the maine gov election, when he's acruelly at like 38.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I really don't do freudian analysis other than strictly ironically... i don't even believe that dreams *mean* things, other than your brain is like learning about something and as it fixes and deals with your awake experiences it produces these images and shit which, i guess, one sometimes remembers and shit?... so yeah, no deeper meaning, which is kind of what i think you're interested in, but if i were to say *something* about the dream you told us of

At a merely intuitive level, which i doubt is worth anything much, i see themes of hierarchy, loneliness-in-a-crowd, intimacy vs. publicitiy, and rape or at the very least sexual objectification: the yuxtaposition of those themes suggest to me, along with that you seem to be like in highschool or something like that, that you may be dealing with -read: discovering and learning to deal with or come to terms with- your own inclusion in social schemata which you feel conflicted about or something? You may also be coming to terms with gender, in some way: the terribly stereotypical construction of males as agents and females as patients in the oniric narrative, yuxtaposed with the fact that the woman you were penetrating was literally both void and fake <a plastic doll is a substitute for an actual human, you know, a human with boobs and organs and warmth and genitals>... yeah, from my own experience girls can sometimes feel like that when you're a kid, since you still don't know how to either imagine them complexely as human beings or relate to them in anything but conventional, TV-learned ways unless you had like sisters and fem-friends or were close to cousinettes or whatever.

From a more traditional freudian perspective the method demands we look at your language more than at the narrative in se: you problematize your own usage of slut, which overlays with the fact that the dream itself is about women disempowered, empty and not genuine: perhaps those things are on your mind these days? furthermore, your narration of the dream makes the rich guys look like assholes, that is, people you don't like... and yet, you participate in this orgy, which is what made me think of problematic voluntaricity of participation in social milieux, which is totally a thing that starts being a thing in life at about highschool age for most people: before you either participate in natural groups like family and in totally voluntary ones like friends: but as one ages, one starts to be less of an anarchist in life and participates in groups one doesn't necessarily wants to because reasons and drama and blablabla.

Anyway, i'm probably just projecting shit, and i can't give you any sort of "your dream means X" narrative without being unacceptably insincere. i hope it... helps?

EDIT: oh, by the way, if we want to be Lacanian... in the dream you literally made a woman less incomplete as you penetrated her, and that made her a toy girl... that may have some metaphoric implications which may be interesting for you. What the lid-like thing "means" metonimically is up to you, though, i gots nuthin.
EDIT2: also, of course, the girl is your mother, but you knew that already :P

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Yesterday I dreamt that a family of an ethnic minority called the "Bormans" lived in the (northern German) village where I grew up. They spoke an Anglo-Frisian language that was written in the Wulfilan Gothic alphabet. Weird.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A