The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The dream thread

Post by Imralu »

Bristel wrote:It's really freaky. :( I hate tornado dreams, and I have had a lot of them in my life.
I've had more than is probably normal too, but when I was a kid, I had tonnes and tonnes of dreams about UFOs that were usually terrifying. I remember one as an adult that made me wake up with a fright.

Have you lived where tornadoes are a pretty normal thing?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

As a kid, I had nightmares about a hooded figure chasing me, while we were both riding unicycles on a tight rope...
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Imralu wrote: Have you lived where tornadoes are a pretty normal thing?
Actually no, but over time, like my volcano dreams and more recent tsunami dreams, they get more and more realistic visually, because I'm so fascinated by them. (my favorite movie is Twister, so I'm sure this contributed to it as a kid).

Edit: my first regular "series" of nightmares also had a "tickle man" that would tickle me after coming out of a dark doorway. I would know he was coming, and would do everything I could to avoid him. Over time I actually started to get away from him, and after my last one where I opened a locked door to escape, I never had those kinds of dreams again.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

So I dreamt about this word chenka [t͡ʃɛnka] or [t͡ʃenka] and I wonder what it means. It's bugging me so hard. It's not weird in and of itself, but there's something about it that really makes me want know its meaning. I'm not sure of the spelling and script either and wiktionary doesn't return any result of any of its variants. Googling returns mostly some names and nothing apparently relevant.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

doesn't seem like an unlikely sequence of sounds... chenka, cenka, quite likely some lang has it

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Chinese probably has a few meanings at least, but i dont know if any of them would be used as just one word. In Khulls, čênka (IPA [tʃeˤŋ˩kʰa˩]) could mean "with pants on in school". However, /ka/ for "in school" is associated with marginal dialects in the far north of the empire. Most speakers would say čêmpa instead.

-------

I dreamed about going to an area of town with a few restaurants in my parents' hometown. It was one of those dreams where I know the exact spot where teh dream takes place but none of the buildings that exist in the dream exist in real life at that spot. Strangely it isnt a part of town that I ever lived in, it just seems to be a recurring place. I suppose it makes sense at least that it is near downtown, so if such businesses did exist, they might set up shop there. I seem to have quite a lot of those types of dreams about my parents' hometown, very few about where I live now.

But last night was an exception, because after that dream I dreamt about an Asian marketplace with 4 floors on High St in the city I live in now (Portland Maine). In the store were enormous amounts of enormous varieties of food. Most supermarkets arent that big, certainly not Asian ones which tend to just be one or two rooms. On the other hand, at least part of the bldg seemed to be the living quarters of the family. I met the owner of the store on the 3rd floor, a reclusive TMNT Shredder type person, and i think I asked him a question, but a very large dog bit me and that ended the dream because there was no pain. Even so, I continued to think the bldg existed for a few minutes afterwards.
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I had a lovely dream: i went to a hill near my house that's generally annoying and full of fitness enthusiasts and aerobics class and noisy boring stuff, but this time it was instead full of paintings and uni profs giving talks and poetry jams and used book salesmen and weird stuff like that. I was there with some friends, one of which irl died years ago. some girls came up to us to sell us some food and drink and, as we tasted it, we found all of it horrible; the girl, trying to salvage the situation, offered us a special liquor the the recipe of which had been given to her by her lost lover. my dead friend cracked a joke, something like "yeah, with that hand in cooking, i'd also break up with you, honey", and we all laughed. like, rolling on the floor laughing. i literally woke my gf up because i was laughing out loud as i woke up.

strange, i didn't know one could wake up from laughing

Sglod
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sglod »

I dreamt I was at a party at a football ground (soccer field to the North Americans) - actually on the pitch. To get in, you had to pay at a parking metre. I had no money, so I walked off. At this point, two police cars turned onto the pitch and the officers went to see if the party was lawful - completely ignoring me in the process. As this was happening, a girl I know came up to me and started talking about rugs. Because she was boring me, I walked off towards the police cars. As I reached them, some shirtless twat wielding two massive glowsticks as lightsabers came charging at me. I ran out of the football ground and ended up in the car park for the train station in my town. Then I woke up.

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

I was musing to a few female coworkers that on many bars of soap there is a warning message on the wrapper saying "For external use only" and then trying to work this into an entire impromptu standup comedy routine about soap. I dont remember any of the other jokes I told and there probably werent any funny ones since if I cant think of them while awake I doubt I'd have thought of anything in the dream. But the people were laughing at my "clean jokes" anyway. I believe that they were all females who had come in to work overnight to do a project with cosmetics and i was volunteering as comic relief because their CD player didnt work.

----

Also, apparently, wine manufacturers had to put nutritional facts on their bottles, just like water bottlers do, and people were surprised to learn that wine actually has vitamins and calories.
Last edited by Pabappa on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

A month ago I had a dream that I ate some chocolate-covered gingerbread and threw it up.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

A girl I used to study Auslan with was splashing chocolate custard around very vigorously. There were two bats flying around and the custard hit one of them and knocked it to the ground. A car nearly ran over it and then I went to pick it up. I cleaned it and wrapped it up to keep it warm. I wanted to feed it and would have gone to a shop to get mealworms but they were shut at that time, so I was just concerned about keeping it warm, worrying about how high it's metabolism is and how long it can go without food. It was trying to bite me but was only getting my clothing. There was something very human about it, like it was my child and I felt a kind of love for it that I have only ever felt in dreams, not in real life. And I woke up and thought "Why was Claire throwing chocolate custard around?" but all through the day, little things kept reminding me of my bat-child.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Yesterday I had a dream that I was walking through my Finnish city and came across a tent of people playing some game of lives and being forced into it (think Jumanji, but with cards instead).

Today I had a dream that, during the last weeks of my exchange to Finland, I was taking a trip to Russia, USA and Japan. I was buying something in a shop, paying with a debit card and getting change in several American coins. And there was some natural disaster in Thailand (?), so we tried to set up a radio receiver to hear the news from there.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

2 helplessness dreams:

I live in the top floor of an apt bldg in Portland Maine. This held true for both dreams.
First, a bit of astrochironecromancy:
Aurora Rossa wrote:I have dreams about being dangerously close to an approaching tornado.
(see page 2)
First dream:
I was looking out my window at sunset and saw that a tornado was forming. I was a bit frightened but decideed to just ride out the tornado, since it seemed to be moving away from me. But it kept circling around ,going through dense city streets, and seemingly only getting stronger and stronger as it raced up and down the many hills of our city. I realized I had to get out, but for some reason I was so groggy that I had a hard time even standing up, and I was wearing only a pair of red underpants. I wanted to put something else on but couldnt manuever my body enough. I just kept screaming in anger at the fact that I couldnt even put on a pair of pants, knwoing that everyone was hearing me but not caring because i was just worried about the tornado. I was debating whether to ride out the storm after all or go out in public in my underpants when I woke up.

------------

Second dream:
Im notquite sure how this dream started, I only remember the 2nd half. I was walking along a trail in the woods and 2 women were asking if there was a good place to play baseball. There were 2 baseball diamonds in plain sight from where were standing so I was confused. I pointed out that the "real" baseball diamond was just a couple miles further down the trail but couldnt be seen from here because of all the trees. They just laughed and I didnt get what was so funny so I moved on. 2 men a bit ahead of them (who are people i've met in the real world) also started laughing when they saw me.

Soon I realized I was slogging through very muddy terrain, while carrying three very white fluffy pillows in my arms. I didnt want to get even a spot of mud on them because these pillows had no pillowcases on and I know that it is difficult to wash the "inner pillow" without damaging the filling material inside or its attachment to the lining. But suddenly I was losing my vision, perhaps because I was so frustrated, and trying to press my way through thorn plants while being ever careful not to drop any of the three pillows in the mud. (I was seemingly wearing very little clothes again, and was barefoot.) Eventually my eyesight was completely gone and I just stood there screaming and grunting, trying to feel my way through the landscape with my bare feet for the one path that was not blocked off by thorn plants, when I woke up. Though, I think my alarm clock might've done it this time, rather than the realization that I was dreaming.

Both dreams ended with me screaming in frustration at being physically unable to do a simple task, while surrounded by people who seemed not to care.

-------

also, one year anniversary of my "high fever" dream: viewtopic.php?p=1089672#p1089672 i really literally couldnt see when i typed that, that was 100% typing blind. i just never bothered to fix it up.

--------

Also, the word "astrochironecromancy" is from a dream I had last year that I never wrote here. The Earth was being destroyed by aliens, and some of the victorious invaders were walking through human cemeteries. One of them said something like "The people who lived here had great sciences ... astronecrochiromancy" when looking at a gravestone with a peculiar symbol on it that I dont quite remember (square-circle-triangle oiverlapping or something). But I changed the word so it would make more sense.

--------

oh! oh! I had the most exciting dream EVER!!!! I was at work, and there was free food everywhere! and i said "no thanks, I'm full!"!!!!! But then i saw a MAPLE flavored DONUT and said "just kidding!" and ate it!

--------
I was at the "airport" (a recurring place in my dreams that, like most buildings in my dreams, has 4 floors) and there was a store selling soap on the 4th floor. It was one of only two businesses there, because the rest of the 4th floor was mostly taken up by some kind of tube-based locomtion system that afaik exists only in my dreams. Itd make a great theme park ride for children, except youd need cushions on basically every wall, floor, and ceiling in the entire building.

edit: oh right, it was soap AND dvd movies, because they branched out a bit to compete with all the OTHER stores selling soap : )

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

: /

I dreamt the light in my bedroom wouldnt turn off, and saw that it was loose wires. at first, flipping it to ON turned it off, but this soon stopped ..... it only worked once. then it stayed on. the wires looked like Ethernet wires. i wanted to sleep so i wasnt sure what to do.

then a voice above me said "got it?" (i was about 8 yrs old in this dream, yet living independently) and a man grabbed me by the arms from behind, pulling me backward, and then picked me up. he held me so close that i didnt have room to turn around in order to see his face. . i realized i was being kidnapped. but, he just threw me back down on my bed ... i think i bounced and then fell back down. the force of being dropped like that woke me up and i was of course in bed for real facing the other direction.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I ended up wrestling Kesha to the ground and holding her there for the French gendarmes that my brother called to arrive. She'd attempted to still his insulin again.

Later, I took out Drew Barrymore with a headshot. But that was just playacting.

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

I know Im 80% of this thread now, but I really dont want it to die down.

I think I dreamed I was on the ZBB and read that no matter how hard someone tries to make an a priori conlang, certain obvious associations of the author's native language will stick around, such as the word for "cold" beginning either with a "C" or a /k/ sound if the author is an English speaker. It might have been some non-ZBB site instead.

I think Im pretty much free of this particular affliction

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Sorry, I'd post dreams here except I never notice having any!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Not one of my more interesting dreams, but:

Last night was something about being a French resistance fighter disguised as a swallow, escaping from a column of owls, and then as the owls were catching up to me I tried to fly up and away, but instead I sort of burst and flopped to the ground as a deflated yellow balloon, and then I was myself again, and the owls gathered around to look at the sad balloon and they were all naked young men, and I couldn’t help but touch their butts as I slipped past, and then I was hiding out in an aquarium exhibit decorated with plastic corals and telling the octopus how terrible I felt about being seduced by the owls, and the octopus was caressing me disturbingly trying to comfort me, and then I half-woke up and bedmate was masturbating quietly to himself, and apparently I tried to slap him in the chest but I don’t remember because I fell straight back asleep, and now the owls had coalesced into a single owl who was both a dragon and also the universe at large, and I wasn’t sure if it had eaten me or not, so I tried to get out by cutting a hole in the fabric of the universe, but it didn’t work and I woke up feeling claustrophobic and unrested.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

I cannot fathom what inspired it, but I dreamt about the last Laurel and Hardy movie last night--the one with Atoll K. Except in this version of the story, they deliberately were trying to attract people to the useless island as part of some get-rich-quick scheme. I believe the plan was to claim oil or something had been found on the island, except someone that may have been me pointed out it didn't make any geological sense, so they had to come up with a different plan.

I woke up before the whole thing played out, though.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Last month, I had one dream about some imaginary relatives of my sister-in-law's staying over at our house, followed a few days later by a dream about one of my first cousins being an anchor on a TV news show. Then while I was still waking up from that dream, I apparently had another one where I was in Pakistani Punjab, and for some reason, the US Army had taken over it(!) and just passed some bizarre new law there.

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Nanong

Post by Pabappa »

I was in some sort of competition in a large university-type building. In one classroom, everyone was seated at big wide-open tables with lots of spacious pullout drawers. I remember doing lots of cleaning, but Im not sure if the competition was about cleaning or if I was just cleaning up because the competition was over. This building is a recurring place in my dreams, and I can find it on a map ... it replaces a university where I went to school once and has maybe one or two rooms that resemble the real one, but is otherwise (like nearly everything in my dreams) much larger and more spacious. Why I dont just say "I was back at my old university" is because in the dream, the building seems to be exactly the same every time, rather than diverging from the real-world bldg in different ways every time.

*scrub*

My parents were in this dream, but my memory's pretty hazy.

As I was cleaning up after myself, I found a lot of books, including many Bibles. One of the Bibles was a pocket Bible consisting entirely of Proverbs 15, presumably with commentary. Another pocket Bible was the exact same size as the Proverbs one but contained the entire Bible. There was also a road atlas of the United States.

As I was cleaning I began to notice a strange smell I couldnt quite place. After I was pretty much done I thought I had figured it out and asked one of the students I was competing against "Do I smell like baby powder?" And he said yes and said that it was because I had been using one of his cleaning products, which I had bought lots of because it was $1 a bottle, and consisted apparently of just baby powder that he had somehow liquefied. Then I realized that this boy(about 18 years old, possibly subconsciously modled after one of my classmates from college) was the winner of the competition. I think his name was Nanong, although it's possible that what I really heard him say was that "nanong" was the word for "I" in his language (he was Asian). It's also possible Nanong was the name of the baby powder product, or t hat he named it after himself.

Nanoŋ will now be a boy's name in Thaoa, as I had needed just one more boy's name to fill in a list of characters who will replace the Japanese speakers I had in my conworld as a child. I think it will replace the boy named Sučithasi, and that Sučithasi can be his surname, as I had originally intended it to be a surname but then had nothing left over to be his given name. The Nanong in my dream was tall and thin, as is Sučithasi.

This name would likely have come from a proto-form /nanūŋ/ which could have produced Năno in Khulls, Nabwom in Poswa, and Nabum in Pabappa.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Last week I had a dream that involved time travelling back to some kind of famous event in the past ... maybe in the 1920s or 30s or the 18 somethings. It was like a kind of festival in a theme park and everyone was staying for a few weeks. There was a rollercoaster-like thing, a train suspended by cables that was powered by rockets and on its first and only ride only nine people survived. That was chiefly why this event was famous - because of this train-rollercoaster disaster. Aretha Franklin was also performing there and this was before she was famous an she was also a jazz/burlesque performer. (I think my brain just made someone up and called her Aretha Franklin). I was trying not to give away the fact that I was a time traveller and I accidentally let slip that Aretha Franklin becomes a big thing but luckily it was taken as "She oughta be famous!" and this was met with general agreement. And then I got my phone out and blew someone's mind. Apparently it was OK that I was from the future. I was there with someone else and they told me that I didn't have to keep it secret. So I was showing this woman from the past my phone ... and for some reason the thing that blew her mind the most was the flashlight function.

The Dalai Lama was also there - the current one. He must have time travelled back too. It was breakfast time. I saw him and smiled and he said God morgon ("Good morning" in Swedish) to me and I excitedly told my friend "The Dalai Lama spoke to me! In Swedish!"

And my friend also had two dogs. One of theme was about the size of a cattle dog and the other one was like a terrier or something. I think the cattle dog was called Jack. Jack was really cool. When I called him, he ran to me and ran and jumped right up me and stood on my shoulders. Oh, and also he could talk, but only to me. And then the dogs went missing for a couple of weeks. There were lots of dogs around and my friend and I spent ages looking for them. And then I found the terrier, the one who wasn't jack. He was falling into a well and people were trying to pull him out but only I had arms long enough to reach him. I grabbed him and held him in my arms and then he spoke to me too. He was so sad, and told me that he and Jack had had a big adventure and I can't remember how, but Jack got killed. I realised he had been trying to throw himself down the well because he didn't want to live without Jack. I woke myself up by sobbing out loud - just noise and no tears. Just like in the bat dream - my last post here before this one - I had this weird kind of love for Jack that I only ever feel in dreams. It's nothing sexual (which is good, because it's often towards animals) but it's like a kindred spirits thing. I was devastated that Jack died. It brought me closer to the other dog in that final moment but then I woke up really sad. For a couple of days, I was a bit sad whenever I saw a dog. Thanks, brain!

And I think this was partly caused by me having a bit of a read about the Hindenberg disaster.
________
MY MUSIC

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Was that all one single interconnected dream? Anyway the first part of it reminds me of that video on YouTube showing a woman "using a cellphone" in 1928:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhA6cxtncgY

the video is 1:40, but it really just loops the same ten seconds or so over and over.

Supposedly there is another similar video floating around about a guy at a Mike Tyson boxing match shooting video with a camcorder that looks more like a modern smartphone than a typical 1980s camcorder.

------------

My landlord (i'll call her Bwempta) was worried about her job. Not her landlord job, because she was somehow also employed by a local newspaper in some high-up position. But she was worried that some other woman who had been an enemy of hers for a long time would somehow get an editing position at that paper and then fire Bwempta out of pure revenge. I was overhearing all of this despite neither of the women being in the room with me. Instead, i was sitting on the floor in my room surrounded by at least eight huge cardboard boxes full of supplies. And at least two of those had inside dozens of tiny shiny bottles of wine, which i had arranged into a rainbow inside the box. I didnt want to be seen drunk, or even for her to see me surrounded by bottles of wine, when she came to my door. I knew I had to pretend to sympthaize with Bewmpta even though I didnt like her myself. In the dream, her getting fired form the newspaper would not have resulted in her losing her landlord job as well; my mind kept them as two separate things, so it isnt as if the apartment building was somehow owned by the newspaper.

I had two other dreams I wanted to share, and I remember writing down the basic key points of them and thinking "wow, I can expand on this a lot later," but it seems that that writing that I did was part of the landlord dream. All I remember now is "perennial" for the first dream and "missed plane" for the second. THe second dream involved me missing a plane because i was arguing with the airport staff over some perverse thing that was probably my fault. Perhaps this dream was caused by me reading about some guy in N Korea losing his plane because the staff was inteoorgating him. As for the "perennial" dream, all I Know is that it didnt involve flowers, but that that weord hasd something to do with me and a coworker switching places.

The "wine" dream, or at least the part of it where I had the bottles, was caused by me last night arranging similar bottles of wine at work. However, the wine in these bottles was extremely brightly colored, and the bottles really looked a lot more like Palmolive dish soap bottles of a similar size than like Gallo wine bottles. Surprise?

Also, somewhere in one of the dreams, something hit my left eye and it swelled up black. I just checked in the mirror now and thankfully it wasnt real.

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

At 2 AM or so I was driving home and noticed my cellphone was down to 20% or so, so I plugged it into a car charger I had and then sealed it up in the change compartment so it wouldnt get bumped around.

Then my eyesight shut down. I seem to dream about this a lot lately. I dont have any particularly dangerous vision problems in real life, so Im not sure if this is a subconscious fear that's suddenly surfaced or just a coincidence. But I was suddenly driving at 2AM while not able to see anything at all. I turned my lights to "Hazard" (Im not even sure where this is on my car in real life) and pulled over to the side of the road. I seemingly could see a little bit around the blackness now, so I started driving faster as if that would get people to notice me better, while still hugging the side of the road. But soon I parked the car on a snowbank. But then I was worried that this wouldnt be enough, as if somehow everyone else's vision had also shut down and they were going to rear-end me. So I powered through the snowbank and then seemingly passed out.

When I woke up, I was in a concrete ditch about 10 feet deep, perfectly carved to be just wide enough to fit my car. I felt as though the car had somehow carved the concrete ditch just from the powerful drive through the snow I had been performing. Apart from the ditch, there was deep snow all around me. The sun was coming up. I realized that by now, at least my cellphone must be fully charged up. I grabbed my phone and disembarked. I realized I was quite a long distance from the road, maybe 100 feet using what I remember of where I was.

From this point on, the dream became a "lost in the woods" dream, where I was trying to find my way home using my memory of where i had been, what direction I'd been going, and how far I'd powered into the snow. I walked quite a way downhill and saw someone walking his dog. By this point I was already happy, and did not care that I'd just lost a car and had both lost my vision and blacked out while driving just a few hours earlier. I was simply glad to be on my way home and in an area of the woods I knew I could find my way back from.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I dreamt I was sobbing "I miss my husband" while trying to shove clumped-up pasta through the garbage disposal without slicing off a finger.

I miss those dreams that had no resemblance to my actual life.