The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Re: The dream thread

Post by linguoboy »

Why does nearly every foreign travel dream I have have to be a travel anxiety dream? Earlier in the week I had yet another anxiety dream about missing my flight. Then last night I dreamt that I'd turned up at an art cinema in Germany just in time for a showing of a controversial erotic film co-produced by a sitting Ministerpräsident. But when I went to pay, I found that I had almost nothing but US currency in my wallet. I had to ask to pay with a debit card (€5 surcharge!) and by the time I'd done that and gotten my Wurst, I'd missed the first ten minutes.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

I was Edward VI, and dad was being crowned - so I was running all around the castle, trying to find a proper set of clothes for the coronation/feast. But there were two locker rooms on opposite ends of the building, and I also had to shlep Elizabeth's outfit from one to the other. I asked somebody what my locker combination was, went to the other side, realized I'd forgotten to also ask the locker number, went back, and then made the same mistake again.

I didn't want to miss the beginning of the feast - they were serving oysters on the half shell. Finally I managed to stuff my clothes in a chest of drawers, and put on a new outfit, but I still looked a bit underdressed. When I got to the main hall I was told I'd missed the whole ceremony.

Where the fuck were my servants??

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Viktor, I have told you before not to hack Torco's account, and this is also the case for dunomapuka's account.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Viktor does not strike me as somebody who would like oysters.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

There were lions in the garden and they were trying to get into the house and eat me, and I had to keep them from smashing through a door or a window. It was scary.

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

I dreamt I was staying at a friend's house, and I had a wee that went on for so long I had to pretend I had a urinary infection. My subconscious is not very exciting.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

That happens to me all the time if I need the toilet while I'm asleep: I just start dreaming that I'm peeing and can't stop (because I'm not actually peeing IRL)

It happened to me a lot more when I was back at home, because going to the toilet was more inconvenient for me and I'd always try and put it off till the last minute – whereas here it's easier for me to groggily wake up, go, and go back to sleep again. (back at home I was upstairs and the toilet was downstairs, but not only that; getting downstairs meant going down a ladder, which wasn't something I necessarily wanted to do while half-asleep.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I haven't had any dreams recently, and I'll likely not have many for a while now... =(

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I dreamt I was in a tank of some sort and got into an accident and died. And I saw my father looking at my dead body. Then I was some sort of ghost going to other people’s deaths, one after the other, until there was a large group of people who had been involved in seven deaths altogether (some deaths were of families)

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

finlay wrote:I just start dreaming that I'm peeing and can't stop (because I'm not actually peeing IRL)
Could be worse, then.

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

I had a pizza to go, and on the side of the box was the slogan "SUND BANTNING - PIZZA" (= HEALTHY DIETING - PIZZA).

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

If that’s a minus sign, then your subconscious is trying to tell you not to eat so much pizza.

Anyway, I dreamt of exchanging East German marks for West German marks, but the official money exchanger was suspicious because I had a special, seldom-seen official paper or bearer's bond authorizing me to get a higher-than-usual exchange.

I also dreamt of being married to some woman who prepared some disgusting dish with liver, something like the liver equivalent of chicken-fried steak and I couldn’t refuse to eat the dish because she and her mother would yell and scream and be unpleasant.

I also dreamt teachers made $60,000, and I had a side job as a substitute teacher, but I forgot to come in.

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

Shm Jay wrote:If that’s a minus sign, then your subconscious is trying to tell you not to eat so much pizza.
It's not supposed to be, so I assume the subconscious message is the opposite (plus, I guess, that I should lose some weight).

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

I woke up in a room I've never seen before. It had a window and I looked through it. I saw terraces and roofs; a city skyline. The sky was blue and clean, and a full moon shined white. But then I realised that the moon was moving upwards a little too fast... Not too fast, but it is unusual for our Moon to move so quickly in the sky. The moon wasn't a moon but a spherical flying device the size of a soccer ball; it wasn't white but grey, a very clear grey, and it had a black, slightly protruded, circle in its frontal side that I identified as a camera lens. The thing was flying slowly, as if searching for something or filming, or spying, the houses below it.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Ew! I dreamt that I was in a public toilet trying to pee. I was wearing some sort of shorts, and one shortsleg ended up in a puddle of halfdried, jellylike piss. It was so fucking gross!
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Dreamt about my sister again. This time I was at some kind of restaurant own by my brothers grandparents.

She was looking at this giant black and yellow spider and grabbing it, so I told her not to touch it and pulled her away. Soon, I saw that there was a volcano outside in the distance that was erupting, and a chasm appeared in the valley which carried lava toward us.

I called my brothers grandfather, and asked for help and where to go, so he told me, and I ran out of the place with my sister before it was destroyed.

There was hot pumice and ash raining down on us hard, so I picked my sister up and carried her while dodging lava bombs.

That was the end of the dream. I must be very protective my sister based on this dream and the last one I had.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I was walking down the street with a bunch of other people, maybe for a protest or something, and I sang an entire song in dream-Gaelic from memory. It sounded pretty nice, and all the lyrics were pretty poeticky and the sort you'd want to remember, but now all I remember is the last line, which was: sì so do reine, coirais, which meant "queen of the brave, have courage". I even remember the gloss for the dream-Gaelic: "sea 3F.POS the queen, courage", and that "sea" was somehow a poetic word for "brave people".

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I was a knight-ish thing in a party of similar, and there were three of us: me, Ron Weasley and some other woman with curly brown hair. What we did was go on quests to fix things in our little kingdom place.. In recent years, the forest outside of the main city in the kingdom had been dying of a mysterious ailment, and everything was withered and gray. People needed that forest to survive and the dead forest creeped people out so we weren't getting tourists anymore, so the king called for us and told us that it was because the Goddess had abandoned us, and that we needed to reawaken the Goddess somehow or make her like us again.

We had absolutely no idea how we were supposed to do that, but we decided to get on our llamas and ride west out of the city, the other way from the forest which was to the northeast. We encountered a woman on the road who seemed quite upset and quite incoherent, but she seemed to be yelling prophecies. I do not remember what these prophecies were, but we got from her that we needed to go to the abandoned lumber mill near the coast.
When we went there, we discovered that it was overrun by cultists, who were carting a guy with long blond hair in a ponytail and Luna Lovegood down a hill to be sacrificed to reawaken the Goddess with their blood. We were like "Whoa whoa whoa! Human sacrifice ain't cool!" so we charged in with our swords, but were swiftly beaten into a pulp by cultists, who turned out to be very good at fighting.We were put in our own cart on the hill, to also be sacrificed, with Ron and the brown-haired woman in the first cart.

At the bottom of the hill, there was the shore, where cultists were waiting with sharpened fishing poles. When the first cart got there, they stabbed Ron and the brown-haired person through the heart with their fishing poles, and, horrified, we watched them bleed out into the water. At that moment the Goddess (also known as forty-foot-tall Betty White in a lavender bathrobe with her hair on fire) appeared. She went "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY NAME" and hit all the cultists with lightning, and then she informed us that we had reawakened her favor by being brave and getting our asses handed to us by cultists. She said that the blond dude who the cultists had been intending to sacrifice was actually the conduit for the life of the forest, and we needed to bring him into the forest and abandon him, and slowly it would come back to life. I think there was something about planting him in the ground, but I don't remember. He seemed rather morose about the whole deal, and he said that giving life back to the forest would slowly suck the life out of him.

We went back through the city into the forest, with the brown-haired woman being spontaneously alive again despite having been sacrificed by cultists. We left the guy at the edge of the forest, and Luna Lovegood was quite sad about this because she had fallen in love with him, but this other tall dude with brown hair, who had somehow joined our party without me noticing, reassured her that it was okay, and that she could learn to love him instead. Everyone in the party then decided we were in love with this guy, so we spent a few minutes collectively making out.

Suddenly, when we were heading back with the intention to all get married in the city, a flying saucer appeared overhead and abducted the guy we'd left behind. We went "Dammit, the forest will never survive without him!" and started shooting our crossbows at the flying saucer. This made the aliens angry, so they attacked us and beat the shit out of us.

And then I woke up.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Awesome dream! :D

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I dreamed that I was Ranma and I had gone back in time in order to try to do things better without all of the problems of the original timeline. I walked down a dirt road in the countryside somewhere and then got on a cart with someone else. After riding for a little while, we reached a building, and the other person asked me to collect something for her. She started to tell me where it was, but I told her I already knew where it was and how to get it, and then I went inside. The object was in the bottom of a cabinet, which was locked, though the key was just sitting on top of something that was attached to the wall. I was able to easily get the object, which was some sort of flat box about the size of and average manga volume, and I hid it under my shirt. Whatever it was Happosai wanted it, which was why I had told her that I already knew how to get it, so that Happosai wouldn't be alerted. I got the object back to her in the car without any incidents, and we went off to another house.

Don't remember what exactly occurred at the other house, but I woke up after getting splashed with cold water, and I ended up in some odd state of mind where for whatever reason I thought that I had the object from before in the real world, before I fully woke up.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Last night I had one of the weirdest dreams I can remember. It was in four distinct parts.

It started out with me on a boat that was out on some Northeastern lake, say Champlain. There were other passengers, and for some reason I was getting hints from the crew that there was a lake monster.
Then we docked, perhaps to get away from said Lake Monster, and the captain, a youngish guy, was driving all of us passengers in his jeep. However, he kept turning sharply left off the road and cutting across grassy swathes to get to other roads. I remember attributing this to the style of driving in New England, and the driver said he was trying to keep out of the shade, leaving the road whenever a building came up on our right (the sun was also to the right). At one point a looming black figure walked out from the side of the road, but it turned out to just be an old lady who was crossing.

Then I was riding in the car of a friend of mine who I'd been driving around with that day, and he was driving the car. We were following the jeep, but lost it in a parking lot near an elevated highway, that was somehow in Georgetown, DC, and now it was nighttime. We got out and ventured further into Georgetown (which had little resemblance to real Georgetown), and at this point the friend faded into a small group of faceless people who were accompanying me. Dream Georgetown was not a very nice place, though I do remember there being several gay bars, for some reason. We eventually reached the heart of the neighborhood, a dark alley a few blocks from the dirty waterfront that was a place of utter despair. Apparently the place was a really common suicide point– I think there was a suicide shop. Also, down a small flight of stairs from the alley, was a door that we entered.

We now found ourselves in an underground bunker; the walls were dull yellow with some green parts near the counter-level, and it had tables with strange food on them. We discovered we were trapped in the bunker; there were several other doors, but they were all locked. However, there were a two or three dudes already inside who'd been there for a while. They explained to us that the food never ran out, but since escape was impossible and there was nothing else to do in the bunker, eventually the inhabitants had started experimenting with the food as they gradually descended into the madness, producing some very strange things. Apparently there had formerly been many more people in the bunker along with these, but they seemed to have died already, leaving only the guys we found upon entry. These two guys then proceeded to show us around the bunker and all of the horribly disturbing foods the inhabitants had come up with out of boredom and despair. It was one of the trippiest things that I think has ever come out of my head. I can only fully remember one example: I saw a small ziploc bag, about 6 inches by 6 inches, maybe, that stood upright, top open and steaming, sandwiched between some other things, and full of some sort of white to yellow substance. Pointing to it, I asked one dude what it was, but before he responded, I saw that it contained couscous, which had various spices added to it. However, the man proceeded to answer, saying "It's where they used to have sex." I stared at him, and, lapsing into Spanish (I'm happy about that bit), he asked me if I knew what it's temperature was. "It's temperature?" I repeated, also in Spanish. He then told me it was 300 degrees, and I noticed the steam again.

Finally we managed to escape through one of the doors, and the two men quickly ran around the room, locking all of them so we wouldn't get back in. One of them was slightly open, and as they pulled it shut, the "camera" zoomed in on it, and then, in an almost cinematic transition, it opened again, but now it was the door to a school; a schoolbus sat in the background, disgorging the children within it. From there the view transitioned into the back of a car, that of the mother of a friend of mine with whom I ride to school in the mornings. His younger sister was in the car, except that I had somehow travelled back in time to the day she was starting school, and that's where we were going. It was quite misty, and I got some perspective in the mother's head as she drove. She was worried, because the invisible infrastructure connected to the underground bunker was becoming half visible in the mist– there were cables on bridges, iron girder, and floating lights, and other strange things– and we kids weren't supposed to know about it; she was just going to not mention and hope we didn't notice it. I was then talking with the sister, and noticed she was wearing a large cloth bracelet. I then realized that I was wearing the same one on my wrist, and remembered that I had gotten my bracelet from her in her future and my past. However, my bracelet had been significantly shrunk and wrinkled by washing in the interim, and I wished I could have one that was in as good a condition as hers. Then I woke up.
Last edited by Jetboy on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

I was walking around London on a nice day and everything was awesome. I reached a huge, neoclassical church that I believed to be the city's Catholic cathedral. I walked up the steps and stood under the portico. The doors were open so I peered inside. At the other end of the nave there was a big pool of shallow water in which five people stood: A priest (looking rather Russian Orthodox) and four parishioners, two men and two women. He was hearing their confessions, but it was a simultaneous confession and baptism-by-immersion.

This isn't part of the Catholic rite, I thought.

The first woman confessed her sin: "I have an entire Facebook album of pictures of my vagina." The priest poured water over her head and blessed her, then moved on down the line.

The last guy confessed that he couldn't turn his cellphone off. You could hear it faintly ringing. He and the priest tried various troubleshoots and pressed a bunch of buttons but couldn't get it to stop ringing.

(when I woke up my phone alarm was going off very faintly.)

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Last night, I had a strange dream about going to England. Can't recall the full details, but it is the most strange dream I've had in a while.

NB: Maybe next entry will be more detailed
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

A dream wich pretty much combined every feature of my dreams:

1) someone I know online but not in person
2) the job where I work
3) a city I used to live in
4) Things taking far longer than they would in any normal situation

I believe we were working outdoors and were planning out what to do for lunch. We'd figured out that we were going to take a bus to a restaurant only a few minutes' walk away. But then we spent an hour talking about whether this other person I was wroking with (and know online) was going to keep his cellphone or not after using it order lunch. The manager was angry at him, for reasons no sane person would be ("I really dont think youre going to do that," etc)
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I was vacationing in Ethiopia with a couple of high school friends whom I havent seen in years. We were sleeping in a gigantic room with hundreds of stacked bunk beds; .e.g one traveling "group" would sleep on one stack. We were all on the Internet there, but since they didnt seem to have electricity we were doing it on laptops. I was trying to find evidence of a band named Aster that we had all remembered from when we were in high school together in Massachusetts, but all I could find was other unrelated bands of the same name.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says: