The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The dream thread

Post by Pole, the »

My dream was a fanfic of Harry Potter, where Harry, Hermione and Draco warp into an alternate reality where a young Voldemort has won, but—because he was devoid of life—he cannot have children, so he appoints Draco his heir.

Ron is dead in this fanfic/dream because this timeline couldn't exist with Ron alive.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

An actor named Gene Ostoff had made a career playing a bumbling detective(?) in a TV series called "Dumb Kaine". Kaine had had 4 wives, of which one of them was identified in the dream with Hillary Clinton, and they had all cheated on him, and in general left him completely in the dark as to their doings and their whereabouts. The humor thus was that he was a detective but he couldnt even locate his own wife.

Unlike most of my dreams, after I woke up, even though I realized it was a dream, I had to do a Google search to convince myself that it was not merely a dream about a real TV series called Dumb Kaine, but that the Dumb Kaine TV series was itself imaginary. And even then it took me an hour or so to convince myself that I wasn't merely just slightly misremembering the title and therefore missing it on the Google search.

The names "Clinton" and "Trump" seem to show up a lot in my dreams, not always associated with people named Hillary or Donald, but with the wider families. Still, "Clinton" in my dreams seems to always correspond to a female, at least in the dreams I remember.

I do remember reading about a real-life US female politician who in some ways resembled one of Kaine's wives, in that she used her husband to make herself independently powerful, and soon "got corrupt" and became totally unreachable by her husband, but I cant figure out who it was. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

ah, i figured it out! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Chapman . So I essentially dreamt about Anna Chapman but her name was Clinton in the dream.

'VvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvChinese Sony ce console

Loud office sleep water fire

1982 bad tomato harvest, bapstabaeba tampra
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I dreamt that I had a map of an island in Arctic Ocean near Russia about the size of Wrangell Island, although I'm not sure if it was located that far east. One half had been occupied by Russia and Russified but the other had been colonised by Portugal and the main vernacular was still an indigenous Uralic language. I remember very little about it except that it had a small consonant inventory and a small vowel inventory with complex allophony (something like you find in many Oceanic languages). There were at least six cases. The locative suffix--something like /jant͡s/ or /jat͡s/--occurred in nearly all place names.

When I woke up, I reviewed this information in my head so I'd remember it in the morning, which resulted in a follow-up dream where I was looking for a comfortable place to study the map and the language. I was staying in a big house with another family. I came upstairs and wanted to camp out in one of the sons' rooms, but I felt this would be too intrusive and settled on the dining room table instead, which of course meant there was too much distraction to learn more.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I had a dream that I was revisiting my old apartment (which I left two months ago) because there were things left (like, broken scissors; I don't remember what else, this one stood out) and then I met my grandmother (who died three months ago) and we had a small talk, and I was going to show her my new place.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

I dreamed of a place in fits and starts. I may have filled in some of the details while half awake.

Place: City of Mirrors. Inhabited by two species, dogs and otters. The layout of the buildings suggest the oldest designs incorporated lateral symmetry. Center-east is dominated by a sacred grove. The grove contains few trees for its size. Instead, it surrounds the large Mirror Lake containing the submerged temple of the mother of otters.

Language: Both species use lake speech, no che.

All sentences are noun phrases with a tree structure. The first word of the sentence is the head noun followed by particles and modifiers. Nouns and modifiers are called substantives. Substantives belong to one of four word classes: pine words, fish words, grass words and sky words. Classes are named after words that belong to those classes.

Word class determines which subsequent substantives modify which:

Pine words: 1 2 2 2 2 ...
Fish words: 1 2 3 2 3 ...
Grass words: 1 2 3 3 3 ...
Sky words: 1 2 3 4 5 ...

This order can be altered by particles: ank raises the next substantive by one level and sol lowers it by a level. Substantives following particles reset the pattern of modifications.

Sentences optionally end with a particle indicating how the next sentence is related to the previous one: zip or yik suggest (with slight differences) smooth continuation, kale suggests a break in the same context, roun suggests a change of topic, and sah suggests finality.

Even commands are expressed as noun phrases. First person pronoun is ho (sky). Needing is ji. Door is upr (pine). Open is zenk.

Usually just:

Upr zenk.
door open
Open the door.

If more clarification is needed:

Ho ji upr zenk.
me needing door open
((open door) needing) me
I need an open door.

Infinitely more clarifying modifiers can be added if desired.

Religion: Dogs tell anyone willing to listen how the souls of a thousand dogs are reborn as one male and one female otter. Otters secretly tell a different story among themselves.

Otters believe that for all sapients including dogs, otters and semaphore engines, (not all sapients are sentient) this is the last life, and their last chance in a metaphysical sense. Their religion calls sapients "mirrors" in that they possess the ability to mirror moral truths.

In the previous life, the goddess whom the dogs call the mother of otters, and otters secretly call the mother of mirrors, created all sapient entities. However, the majority were "distorted mirrors" that only spread chaos and confusion in the world. The highest God decided to rid the world of sapients. In order to save her children, the mother of mirrors sacrificed herself in order to afford her children a second chance. The sacrifice was barely enough. In addition to the death of their maker, sapients grew fur to mark them as born sinners.

In the previous life, sapients could talk to their mother through reflective mirrors. In this life, mirrors only show their own reflections to remind them who is next should they fail a second time.

Society: There are intricate (and remarkably furry) semaphore engines that determine which citizens are doing the most poorly along a number of different axes. This group alone gets to send powerful representatives to the city council, an institution that is otherwise controlled by propertied interests. The poor are made much of, at times with a touch of suspiciously frantic desperation. Corruption is rampant at the same time.
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

I dreamed that Donald Trump was getting married in some big arena/parking garage-type thing and I went with some friends. He got angry at one point because someone kept calling his personal cell phone and he wanted to know if I gave out the number. I didn't, and he believed me. The caller turned out to be Howard Stern. I also got into a shouting match with a bunch of demonstrators.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

I dreamed that LEGO has released a moon lander set. You assemble the thing; then it goes and actually lands on the moon. You would expect this might cause problems as thousands of little moon landers try to land on the moon at the same time while dodging aircraft and space debris or something, but no. The problem is that my high school principal who runs the local bakery is outraged because he has confused the LEGO moon lander set with Pokemon cards and he thinks Pokemon cards makes kids dumber. He keeps confiscating the moon lander sets and trying to explain that no animals that look like the astronauts, space shuttles and the moon on the cover really exist at all. He does this by taking pairs of cookies from his bakery, using them as talking mouths and putting on little skits about how children led astray by Pokemon who go out into the jungle expecting to capture and train space shuttles get bitten by poisonous snakes instead because they know nothing about the great outdoors.
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I was sitting in my bedroom, a large and very dark room that felt as if it were very high up .... i think at one point i looked out the window and saw a massive campus outside and i was at least a few stories high. The room was "dark as a womb" in the sense that with the curtains closed, no light could get through and I had complete privacy.

i was using an oversized and overpowered PC watching a DVD starring Macaulay Culkin (or a lookalike) ... but i was disappointed because it was an animated film except for him. so i sped right through it .... every scene looked the same .... and then i looked for something else to watch in a flipbook of DVD's that was also unrealistically large.

i saw a dvd of bill and hillary clinton near the top ... their faces were drawn with small circular perforations, thus difficult to make out. I actually mistook Bill for Hillary at first until I realized the one next to him was Hillary.

-------------------
this ends my streak of dreams in which the name "Clinton" is associated only with females. Perhaps Hillary has faded from her peak prominence and is now merely "a Clinton" again.

i think my brain picked out Macaulay Culkin because I cant name any other child actors. I dont think the movie particularly closely resembled Home Alone, although I did get the impression that the boy was the star of the story to an even greater extent than in the original Home Alone, since he was the only human actor, as the rest of the movie was animated.

'00000000000000000
Trump recipe wapa .m.... sup c5? Banjon

--------------------

just nw i had a flashabck to a dream from a fewe years ago where IRC was a diminant medium of communication and it was "modern" and had conveniences that allowed people to trade stocks etc ... essential integarting a lot of moder internet conveniences into IRC.

in this dream i even managed to getinto a minor debate, becaus i was using it for social networeking and found someone who didnt agree with me on some politicla issue. owever the words were nonsense, because this was a flashback to a dfream, not a dream itself, and for me when that happens i often get nonsense for all wordcs.

somehoiw i had had a seizue and my mom looked horrified when i was mixing paints and she asked me if i knew what "color" meant and i looked confused as if i was trying to make up an answer that a young child might say when trying to hide th fact that he does not know something he should know.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

This is quite a long and very detailed dream so I want to give it its own post. Lately I seem to dream in streaks, where I go completely dry for weeks and then have long complicated dreams and sometimes two or three dreams in the same night.

---------------------
Dec 17

I was living for free in a large room in a large building in Portland ME. The ceiling in my room was at least 12 feet high, and may have been more than 20 feet high. In one corner of the room was a large round support beam that went from the ceiling to the floor. Using my cellphone, i recorded myself sliding from top to bottom on this round pole and then climbing back up again. I seemed to think this was my favorite activity and that I was supposed to be embarrassed about how much I liked it but that I wasnt embarassed at all. In one of the recordings, I was wearing only underwear or perhaps nothing at all, but facing away from the camera since that was the only way to slide down the pole.

After a few days, though, I started preparing to move out. I had been able to live here for free, apparently without needing to prove I had nowhere else to go, such that perhaps it was on the honor system and they merely expected me to make efforts to find someplace else to live. One morning I woke up sleeping on the floor next to a concrete wall, because I had packed up most of my things. However, on the other side of the room, most of my belongings were still there, because I had so many to pack that I didnt do it all in one day.

That morning I met a small boy, maybe about 7 years old, who was moving into the same room that I was living in. This was okay because the rooms were so large that they were essentially like condos that just didnt have walls going all the way across the subdivided areas of each room. His part of the room was near a window. He seemed to be living independently, which seems to be common in my dreams. He seemed happy, and we talked a little bit, and we seemed to have a few things in common, such that we could even become friends. But I got the sense that, like me, he mostly wanted to keep to himself and that he didn't seem to need any help getting around.

Outside the building there was a large parking lot with snow on the ground all over the place. It was actually several parking lots connected to each other with walkways in between, similar to what exists outside on a hospital campus near me. In one parking lot there was a space where someone had written in the sort of yellow paint that is usually used to mark out traffic spaces "OJ SURGED ---- TRUMP WON" or something similar. The gist of it was that whoever wrote those words had been a Trump supporter who won a bet with his colleagues that Trump would win whereas the others, or at least the one person that parking spot was for, had been sure that Clinton would win. I may have actually been flying over the parking lot rather than walking (see more details below), but I cant remember for sure.

Later in this same dream, I was with friends in a shopping mall. It may have been just one friend, and to be honest I dont even remember if it was a male or a female, because this was not someone I know in real life. But the friend told me about two young boys who had done something at their home that semeed like a chemistry experiment gone wrong, and they decided to make up for it by hosting a fireworks show at their house, and he/she wanted me to go to see it because I was worried about the two boys after hearing the first part of the story. These boys seemed to live with their parents, but were able to make independent decisions such as hosting a fireworks show and then keeping the money without asking their parents ... or the city ... for permission. The fireworks show and the boys' earlier accident seemed to be related, as if they were producing fireworks using the same chemistry set that had exploded in their basement earlier.

We were supposed to pay admission to get to the fireworks show, but didnt seem to be concerned. At this point, the city I was in seemed like a very large college campus, with buildings right next to each other, but there were plenty of residential houses among them as well. We actually flew up in the air like superheros in order to get to the boys' house. This seemed to be a normal means of travel, and neither I nor my friend found it remarkable that we were able to fly with our arms. (I only noticed it after I woke up.) Thus I wouldnt say that I was dreaming I was a superhero, but that, in the context of this dream, I had always been able to fly that way and it didnt occur to me at any point in the dream to even think twice about it.

We flew towards the boys' house, and a flock of birds was flying in the air with us. For fun I imitated one of the birds' calls. It turned out to be a vulture, which flew towards me and then bit open my throat. As I tried to grab the bird to pull him off of me I said "Seriously?" in the same sort voice seen here. (poor recording, sorry)

------------
Dec 21: three more dreams, but theyre short so I wont make a new post:

I was reading a book with 5 stories. The 5 stories were somehow linked with an album by the Kossoy Sisters in which 5 of the songs repeat at the end of the album in slightly different (shorter) forms. In the first story, a family of five, all females, "absconded" into their dresser drawer in the order of oldest to youngest. I believe the family was one mother with four daughters, not a lesbian couple or some other relaitonship.

I dont remember the 2nd story at all and I may not have even read it in the dream.

The 3rd story was about a young girl, but that's all I remember.

The 4th story was less than one page long, and seemed to consist of just a picture of a man wearing a "pompom hat" (winter weather) and identifying himself as "Matt the met, mitt for mutt" or something like that. I believe that what he actually said in the dream was impossible, since I'd think if it were real English I'd be able to reconstruct it easily even if I didn't remember it from the dream itself. I seem to have read the 4th story twice, and the second time around it had a sizable amount of text after the picture.

I don't remember the fifth story either.

----------
Dec 21:
A separate dream involved me being outside playing with a calculator program on a phone, or perhaps an actual calculator that was more advanced than TI calcs. Somehow I made it such that pressing a button would automatically add 1 to the displayed number and then recalculate the result. But the numbers produced were somehow unpredictable, and therefore i kept doing it because I was interested in seeing which numbers would come up next. The number 6 was involved too, and I seemed to have said that all numbers could be produced using combinations of 1's and 6's, which may have been necessary because of the incorrect way that the 1's were adding up.

Every number was associated with a picture, as if someone had taken all the words in the English language and assigned them a number. The numbers in the low to mid thousands range (i.e. 2000-5000 or so) were mostly names of animals and plants. This may have actually come from my time compiling dictionaries for conlangs.

------
Dec 21
Of the third dream of the night, all I remember is that Trump had reopened the recount in Pennsylvania to prove he won by even more votes than the official total, alleging corruption in Philadelphia. This isnt much of a dream, though, since I think all it was is me remembering that some disticts in Philly were the only ones that agreed to a recount. I believe even that partial recount was cancelled, though.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I clocked into work at 6am, figuring I'd beat everyone else in. After a minute, I went back to lock the door behind me since the store wasnt open yet. But I was confused because there were a bunch of people around. Apparently we had opened early and I was actually late.

Apparently I decided to leave, and realized that I had been fired from this job earlier anyway. Outside, there was no snow on the ground and I was able to walk anywhere I wanted. I heard an old woman complaining about "the capital", which I took to mean Augusta, the capital of Maine, which like many US capitals is smaller than many of its other cities, and thus wields disproportionate influence over them.

Then I went and clocked into another job. Here there were four female employees working like mad trying to keep up with the customers, and I was just standing around watching them, even though we were all being paid the same. Two of the girls were scheduled to leave soon. But I decided I didnt really want to help so I decided to take another walk. At least three of the girls had blonde hair, and are real people. Im not sure who the fourth girl was.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Soap wrote:I heard an old woman complaining about "the capital", which I took to mean Augusta, the capital of Maine,
Maybe she meant the capital? :P

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I dreamt mostly about sleeping. I was in a building with 5 bedrooms, and I remembered thinking to myself that the 5 bedrooms were all the same so there was no reason for me to want to switch even though I had the building to myself. (Buildings in my dreams are nearly always gigantic and sometimes even apparently infinite.)

I walked outside. It was about 4:30 am, but the sun was already up. I saw a red haired man carrying his baby as he was walking to into his house, and seeing them made me feel good inside.

I realized that right next to the building I had been sleeping in was a "cathedral". At least that's the word that came to mind in my dream. It was an ornate stone building which seemed to resemble a church in some ways, but had been built as residential housing. And I looked and saw that my own house was also of that type. The two buildings were separated by a stone wall, but it seemed (with dream physics) that I might be able to hop from one house to the other using the balconies. I didn't try it though. I remembered thinking that the Papal States were the only Christian theocracy in the world, but that Iran was the only Islamic one, since places like Afghanistan are actually just secular governments run by Islamic fundamentalists, which could theoretically switch to liberal secular governments without any change in the structure of the government.

Somehow there were 2 dogs with me outside. I don't remember more details than that.

I think I may have woken up and then fallen asleep again, because the next thing I remember in this dream is me sitting on the floor slapping giant LEGO0-type toys together while chanting "tuhaititatitatu". (Yes I know it was exactly that, because I wrote it down as soon as I woke up even though I couldnt even see yet.)
Last edited by Soap on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

An old one from a month or two ago which was just really weird. For anyone who hasn't been reading the venting thread, I'm coming to terms with issues around sexuality and the fact that I'm afraid of sex ... and until this dream that I'm about to describe, the closest to a sex dream I'd ever had was just a kissing dream that I woke up from about a year ago. Aside from that, nothing.

I was hanging out with two Iranian guys who were refugees. One of them was called "Sheyran" ...which just sounds like a Turkish name that I made up. The one who was not called Sheyran - I don't remember his name - was really handsome and amazing and then we were hanging out together just the two of us. It went on for quite a while and he was kind of flirting with me. We ended up in bed together and were making out. I think he already knew that I wasn't going to have sex with him because I've got issues, and he was cool with that, so I didn't need to be nervous but I was anyway, but also really enjoying it. I had my eyes closed and suddenly I realised that, with my eyes closed, I had somehow drifted. What I had thought was his mouth was actually his eye and what I had thought was his tongue was actually his eyeball. I had sucked it into my mouth. I briefly panicked about the fact that I was in the process of seriously injuring him, and worried that he'd also hurt me but he was strangely calm and hadn't reacted at all ... and then I woke up thoroughly disgusted and still with the physical effects of the arousal before the disgust.

I talked about this dream with my counsellor and he wanted to know what the significance of the eyeball was, if it was a fetish or something and I was like "Nah, clearly just my brain trying to shut down a sexy dream that it wasn't comfortable with ... as drastically as possible ... just a spanner in the works, replace sexy times with disgust big enough to make it stop and wake me up." It's odd when I look at some of the dreams I've had lately. They don't need too much interpreting a lot of the time.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I had yet another dream about my grandmother.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Last night I dreamt my dead husband had come back to life. He was contentedly sitting on a padded seat in a corner of the kitchen and I was wondering how to break it to him that he couldn't keep using that body since we'd already had it cremated.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

linguoboy wrote:Last night I dreamt my dead husband had come back to life. He was contentedly sitting on a padded seat in a corner of the kitchen and I was wondering how to break it to him that he couldn't keep using that body since we'd already had it cremated.
How long has it been?

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

linguoboy wrote:Last night I dreamt my dead husband had come back to life. He was contentedly sitting on a padded seat in a corner of the kitchen and I was wondering how to break it to him that he couldn't keep using that body since we'd already had it cremated.
I had dreams like this for a long time after my brother died several years ago. I suspect I still have them but forget them in the process of waking up.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Jan 19:
A band named "Head of Chincho" had recorded a new spinoff of the drunken sailor song and advertised it on the cardboard casing for a set of 24oz tumblers that I was planning to drink out of. When I tried to look for the song, though, nothing came up, and in fact, searching for "head of chincho" just got me only a few results, the first of which was the ZBB talking about something entirely unrelated (presumably chincho was just a Spanish word in the dream).

---------
Jan 20:
The local Pride Parade had moved from downtown to "new diaper" (lowercase), a cape that had apparently been named for its smell (Portland Maine has a water waste disposal plant on the ocean). The route for the rest of the parade seemed to be a lot of back-and-forth, but was entirely across the ocean.
Last edited by Soap on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

A dream with an intersection between language and programming last night--someone was trying to get me to write them some program or web app that would allow them to enter a sentence and swap out the adverbs and adverbial phrases with something else. (not sure what the point of this hypothetical application was?) The whole time, I was trying to explain to the that you can't just be like, "replace all the adverbs", a computer doesn't know what adverbs are, so we'd have to do some kind of complicated parsing or have a list of all possible adverbs or something. And the person just did not get it, they just kept trying to convince me it'd be super easy.

An unusual programming dream for me in that the programming still made sense when I woke up! Usually I wake up and realize that my dream "solution" made absolutely no sense.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

alynnidalar wrote:The whole time, I was trying to explain to the that you can't just be like, "replace all the adverbs", a computer doesn't know what adverbs are, so we'd have to do some kind of complicated parsing or have a list of all possible adverbs or something. And the person just did not get it, they just kept trying to convince me it'd be super easy.

An unusual programming dream for me in that the programming still made sense when I woke up! Usually I wake up and realize that my dream "solution" made absolutely no sense.
I've seen the Lojban project described as an attempt to create a bridge language between humans and computers (or robots) that would solve all of those problems and enable humans to communicate directly to computers and vice versa about complex ideas without the potential for misunderstanding. It would also be a bridge language for humans wherein the little subtle mannerisms of each human language would be eliminated or at least smoothed over.

-------
Jan 24

This dream opened with someone saying "Some say 'chickens in the mud'." The rest of the dream seems unrelated so I may have woken up and fallen asleep again.

In the dream proper, it was some time in the late 1960s or early 1970s, where my dad had not yet met my mother. I'm not saying I was dreaming about time travel, it's just that in this dream it was simply natural that I was existing as an adult in a time before I had even been born. I met my dad in his house (he seemed to be his normal age, not the age he was in the 1960s) and we talked for a little while. I told him who I was and about my mother and how they would meet up.

This dream seemed to also involve a chain of Irish pubs ... there were three of them, one of which was in a mall, all easily identified by their bright green neon lighting, such that the entire door seemed to be glowing. In this dream there was also a giant cafeteria-like restaurant which seemed to merge indoor and outdoor dining ... it is a recurring restaurant in my dreams that resembles no actual restaurant on Earth, but seems to be the same every time it appears in a dream. Everything is large and the menu wraps all the way around the circular counter because they have so much of everything. (Note to self: in case I forget later, this restuarant is in nearly the same location as "Burger Tyke", perhaps simply across the street from it, but is not related to Burger Tyke.) In some ways the restaurant resembles a school cafeteria since it seems that the ordering area has a lot of entrances and exits and customers often go far away from the central area to eat. The food is not free, but is priced so low that even someone with an enormous appetite will never leave unsatisfied.

The last part of the dream wasn't as pleasant. The house I was in was gigantic even by the standards of my dreams ... I'd say I was probably about 40 feet off the ground and I was only halfway up the building. Meanwhile, the building seemed to stretch out parallel to the road at least 400 feet from where I was, and was fairly thick from front to back. The lawn was enormous on both sides, and I think it even bordered the ocean in back. The house was "on a farm", but there was no evidence of farming of any type taking place in the grassy areas around the house. But while enormous buildings are generally associated with bliss and comfort in my dreams, in this case the previous inhabitant of this house had polluted the land, and I got the impression that remnants of his vomit or some other type of waste was occupying some parts of the lower floors and could not easily be removed. This may have come from a mixture of two people I've known who have unjustly made my life difficult in the past.

----
It;s occurred to me that bars in the United States dont generally form chains or franchises. The only examples I can think of are microbreweries who operate very small restaurant chains at which they serve their beer. Does anyone know if it's different in other countries? Alcohol makes a lot of money, so I could see pressure to pass a law forbidding restaurants above a certain size from serving alcohol, but Im not aware of any such law.

------------
Jan 26
Yet another dream in which I am living in a large apartment building, slowly moving out, taking more than a day to pack my things. In this dream my roommate was someone whom I lived with 17 years ago. I had a portable refrigerator, so he was the only one who used the main refrigerator, except that I sometimes put soda in there. His part of the room was nearly divided from mine by a short section where the room was as narrow as a hallway. We were expecting an assessment of damages. My parents asked me how much I expected to pay and I said it would be several hundred dollars even though in my mind I was expecting at least a decent chance of it being zero. My dad had been outside the building, and I only saw him off in the distance early on.

Soon I needed to go to the bathroom. I looked for a men's room among the large hallways of the building, but couldn't find one because the rooms weren't labeled properly. The first room I entered was fairly dark, and had desks and chairs and I think a typewriter in the very back corner of the room. It actually took me a minute, even so, to realize that this room wasn't a place where I could pee before I left the room and looked for another one. Then I realized that our apartment building had a sense of humor, in that the men's and women's bathrooms were marked by murals of men and women doing stereotypically masculine and feminine things. The women's room, which was right in front of me, had a mural of woman ironing clothes, ermptying trash barrels, etc. I didn't go in there. The men's room had a mural of men playing sports and looking proud and accomplished. Perhaps this was a male-only apartment building.

Inside the men's room I was given a choice of whether I wanted an American or a Russian men's room. I think I looked into the American one briefly and decided not to go with it. I chose Russian. The Russian men's room turned out to be an amusement park ride where I was immediately pushed upwards by a motor, seemingly ending up outdoors above the roof of the building. Then the motor had me circling around a hill-like thing along a swirly path in which I was waist deep in water, facing the wall, and my hands were inside a groove in which water was also being splashed on me. I knew that this was only the beginning of the ride and that there was a lot more still to come. After I reached the top of the hill the motor shot me up even higher and I ended up in a "lake" that I think was between two waterfalls. (Is there a word for that?) I was still in my "peepod", but no longer face-down, so I was impressed by the view. But I decided to just wet my pants, since I was in water up to my waist and my hands were being washed anyway. I got the impression that that was exactly what I was supposed to do, but I woke up before I got to see what the rest of the bathroom was like.

--------
Jan28

Apparently I dreamt that my lamp was broken, and that I told my mother that it was broken and there might be some electrical problem with my room (this would be the 4th lamp in a month or so). But later I dreamt that she came down to tell me that it wasnt broken. The second part almost seems like a hallucination instead of a dream, since, in that "dream", I was in bed. I have dreamt about sleeping or being in bed before, but this seemed different.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I had a dream where I watched a train that was able to teleport, and then took a ride in that train to somewhere in Siberia, which surprisingly wasn't that cold, it was like early spring-ish temperature.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Not sure if this is actually a dream, as I havent slept well lately and may not have actually gotten to sleep at all. But I do remember myself deriving a place name Mandarum, for a city inhabited by Poswobs that was at the 38N parallel on the east coast of their continent, in the Thaoa-speaking state of Nišonuša. This is outside of Poswob territory, and I think that even in the dream I knew this, but on this planet there are significant differences between national borders and the areas that people of a given tribe actually inhabit. Poswobs have long been a seafaring people and many would prefer to live along the coast in a foreign empire, even if they were given inferior social status, than to remain stranded inland in their own territory. Likewise they have become a substantial minority in the tropical city of Baeba Swamp, on the west coast of their continent, which is also outside of Poswob territory.

There is no /d/ in Poswa, and in Pabappa it occurs only intervocalically. However, Poswa /g/ is pronounced [d] when it occurs after an /n/, so if this name is interpreted instead as Mangarum it is possible. However, it would still be unlikely to be a native place name. It looks like it could potentially be related to the Poswa roots mana "to focus clearly, to be simple-minded" (i.e. someone who does the same thing every time, as if by instinct) and vare "to ride an animal", plus a fossilized form of the becausative suffix -ibVm. However, given the location of this city on the east coast at 38N, I suspect I was subconsciously playing around with the word "Mandarin" as in Mandarin Chinese.

------
feb25:

I think i had a dream that humans could get infected by triactinomyxons. I definitely dreamt about triactinomyxons in some fashion. The Poswa word for triactinomyxon is pwep, formed from mul "sword" + šep "fish-ACC" + su "to cut", thus literally meaning "sword that cuts fish". It is not confused for a literal sword because this word is animate.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I have just been sleeping for fourteen hours and I have had a couple of weird dreams.

One was about me travelling (teleporting?) to Sydney, Australia, and experiencing a solar eclipse there (also, trying to take a few photos).

In another I was in a supermarket with a couple of friends preparing for a party and I, without controlling it, took a few sweets without paying for them (also, they didn't have any packaging or wrapper).

In yet another one, I was taking a bus in Poznan, I left at a wrong stop, then I went on visiting my distant family living near the stop and discovered they are preparing an atomic bomb to be detonated in the city.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Restaurant in Heaven

Post by Soap »

March 7:

Another "Restaurant in Heaven" dream. This time I was eating at Amato's, an Italian sub restaurant based in Maine. But oddly, most of the customers, including those who had come in with me, and all of the staff behind the counter, were black. Since in real life I don't particularly care for Amato's, this might have been my dream mind's way to tell me that the Amato family had sold their restaurant and were now an "ethnic" establishment.

The "new" Amato's was perfect in every way. I had ordered a 6 inch sub, but I was allowed to put giant quantities of any topping I wanted on, including more meat. I topped it off with basically everything I could grab, except pineapple, because even though I love pineapples I know that they are juicy and unless the sub is toasted (which I said no to) they will wet everything around them.

While I was building my meal, one of the other customers asked the man behind the counter if they carried blackberries, and the man looked confused and said he didn't know. I looked in the "berry" area and saw quite a few different varieties, all of which were free, but no blackberries. I dont remember if I helped the other customer or abstained for fear of embarrassing the employee.

Wine was also available, and oddly, was sold by the ounce. I remember doing the math in my head and figuring out that a typical 750ml bottle of wine would cost around $5, which is quite cheap for a restaurant here. The real Amato's also sells wine over the counter for more typical prices like $10-15 per bottle.

When I was finished I put the sub I had made on their scale (which protruded just a tiny bit over the edge of the counter) and it showed that it weighed 6.78 pounds. There was a tax on my sub because I had used a certain type of fish that was in low supply, but even so, the sub only cost me a little bit over $8.

The eating area, of course, was enormous, and resembled an elementary school cafeteria. In fact, it might have literally been an elementary school cafeteria, since I remember a lot of small children surrounding me and just one table with adults, all of whom were female. I sat down in an area that wasnt yet occupied and spread out way beyond my seat, such that nobody would be able to sit next to or across from me. I wasnt being antisocial, I just love to have huge table space when I eat my meals.

----------
Trying to get out of work on time at 12:00am. It's very cold. The manager doesnt seem to be able to let me out. Shawn is available to let me out, but he cant get the machine to let me clock out ("Out of Order"). A voice over the loudspeaker says, in a non-electronic sounding voice, that this was Shawn's last chance, and that if he can't get me out, "start counting". (i.e. he was fired.) A lot of new customers start entering the store, with "warm" sounding names (voiced stops, some foreign names, like Australian Aboriginal). One more try to let me out, the boss shows up and says he'll let me out, but it never happens. Even more new people come in, and I see my mom pushing a cart with a baby in it (a dark-skinned baby, thus a "warm" baby) and this makes me feel comfortable.
Last edited by Soap on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Albert Einstein travelled forward in time and right into my house. However, the knowledge of time travel was too much for him and he forgot everything about it except the fact he travelled. I tried to give him a recent astronomy book, but after he went back, the book, which he took with him, changed into some old medieval-style thing.

(It's surely the result of watching too much Doctor Who.)