The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The dream thread

Post by Imralu »

I had a dream that I got mugged and when I tried to give the mugger my wallet and mobile phone, all I had in my pockets were blocks of chocolate. I was scared he would think I was trying to hide my phone and wallet and knife me for it, and so I told him to pat me down so he could be sure that I wasn't hiding anything. I realised this was a weird thing to say and I was scared he would realise I'm gay or think I was hitting on him but it didn't happen like that. While patting me down, he felt up my package and I felt really uncomfortable and he told me "I bet you liked that" and I didn't know what to say, and the pat-down also revealed even more chocolate in pockets on the back of my thighs that I didn't know about and I felt scared again for hiding that. Unrealistic amounts of chocolate literally fell out of my pants on the ground and he said "What the fuck!?" and told me I have a problem with chocolate and I said "I know" as I shamefully tried to pick up all of the chocolate ... but now I had more chocolate than pockets. The ones on the backs of my thighs seemed to have gone and the other ones were smaller now and I would have to carry all the chocolate home with everyone able to see my problem with chocolate. So, I ended up not getting mugged, but I did get judged by a mugger and I felt incredibly humiliated. And then I realised I didn't have keys to get into my apartment, or money, or a phone, and all I had was chocolate and then the mugger was gone and I felt sad that he didn't even say goodbye. I wanted a hug.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Thanks, I like that dream. Thats the kind of dream that makes me glad this threead is here and its not just us keeping our dreams to ourselves because we feel no one else will be interested. I had a dream abouyt Wikipedia but that is one dream I didnt even find interesting myself so I didnt bother writing it down. It was so mundane i thought it was real until about 3pm or so. I dont seem ot hvae any new interesting dreams of my own to share since the last one i posted that involved being in "EUrope" (sic).
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Playiomg a baseball video game .. one with humans vs humans, one with umans vs robots.i have written down somehwere 9otp shelf) how i won 37 to 0 with the robots game, ṿ turning most hits into homreuns, but oddlty when i start playing again i win the hh game and start losing the hr game.

-------

Walking along street in winter. Dad & I are out, others in. Talking about Kinak (code name for someone in the news recently). In the dream I was also trying to hide his name, so was using a conlang to try to come up weith a code name ... Andanese, an old conlang with a numerioc alphabet. I made several trips to and from house. I had gloves on early, but i cuyt myself in 2 places so it put on hand sanitizer dan tyhen took off the glove. i had had 2 helpings of dinner, but they wanted us to stay away until the rest of the dinner was done. Pwer had gone out, but for some reason this sisnt affect dinner. May not have been the same3 dream (sorry, the ZBB went down and mny original piost didnt go through so Im typing this in a hurry). One of the houses iP assed had muyltiple levels of walkway in front of the jouse. I crossed dwonad nabd bnack once again and came back again and left the 1994 cellphone in a notch in the brick border in front of the ouse ( dont know what to call this? a fence? or just wall?)
Last edited by Pabappa on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Had a few dreams (first two in sequence, I think) last night that I can only remember a few major details about:

1- Was conscious while undergoing brain surgery and I could see the huge open hole in the back of my skull as they pulled out a large chunk of my brain. I was signing some kind of French folk song while they prodded me in the brains. (can't remember which song, but I know it was French, and it might have been the national anthem)

2- "Woke up" from the dream, only to have another in which I'm going home from the surgery and while driving down the road, I spot a few tornado funnels touching down. I went to a few doors to try to warn people, but got back into the car and drove away trying to escape. The tornadoes seemed to spawn all around me and picked up the car, throwing it toward a building. (which I think really woke up me).

3- I had dealings with some kind of mafioso, and couldn't get him to leave me alone, but when the police came, I was arrested instead. (I think I was one of the characters from True Detective even though I haven't seen it before)

:S
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Some town in eastern Oregon where everyone was getting sunburned and they were proud of it because it showed they had become the sunniest place in America. They opened up a resort and encouraged people to come enjoy the sun while at the same time their high elevation meant it was no warmer than it had been in April, and even that was cold. Most of the town p[opulation was from Bangor, Maine and still spoke with a thick Maine accent.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Ooh, I have one, from last night.

I was holding some kind of invertebrate— about a foot long, smooth on the outside, like an undersea predator who's attached to a rock and one end and eats things at the other. And it was hungry. There was a little nodule like a strawberry growing on something; I held the invertebrate up to it and first it drew out a rather large insect and ate it, then it gobbled up the entire nodule.

This was rather fascinating and I wanted to see what else it would eat. It managed to open a tin can and I had it slurping up some of the spilled soup from inside. But I woke up before I could do any further scientific investigations.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

I usually don't remember dreams, but I remember this one from about a month ago: I was standing in front of a vending machine that sold matching sets of bras and hats (baseball caps). (A set was made up of 1 bra and 1 hat.) It cost $2 to get a set. You could not buy just half of a set. The image on the machine was that of a man (wearing the hat) and woman (wearing the bra) in a half embrace (one arm around the other, the other on their own hip), together facing the customer. Why my sub-conscience thinks that it's important that bras and hats match, I don't know.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I have been having wierd dreamsfor several days (or weeks) by now, because of it meing summertime and I being able to go to bed in late night/early morning and waking up in afternoon — dreams including i.a. seeing my crush, being high from taking drugs or being high without taking drugs. Last night in my dream I was in some kind of a bizarre building with, for example, meter-wide gaps in the floor and me jumping over such a gap and then realizing I chose a wrong way. Or something like a balcony, but *inside* a building and extending over several storeys.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

A few nights ago, I dreamt about the finding of an ivory statuette with an Old Albic inscription near my birthplace (which is in Germany), with controversies about whether it was genuine or not. Only after waking up, I noticed that it would have been found in a place where Old Albic never was spoken (Old Albic is meant to be spoken in pre-Celtic Britain). Well, I could include the object I dreamt about into my con-history as a mystery.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I dreamt I was at work and this person (who had just quit) was trying to get me to join her and take the train to Iceland, which was similar to the Chunnel train, to live with Vecfaranti. But I didn't pack my clothes in time so I missed it.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

WeepingElf wrote:A few nights ago, I dreamt about the finding of an ivory statuette with an Old Albic inscription near my birthplace (which is in Germany), with controversies about whether it was genuine or not. Only after waking up, I noticed that it would have been found in a place where Old Albic never was spoken (Old Albic is meant to be spoken in pre-Celtic Britain). Well, I could include the object I dreamt about into my con-history as a mystery.
Trade (or looted) objects can show up in all kinds of places. I remeber reading about a Buddha Statuette showing up in a Viking hoard in Scandinavia.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

hwhatting wrote:
WeepingElf wrote:A few nights ago, I dreamt about the finding of an ivory statuette with an Old Albic inscription near my birthplace (which is in Germany), with controversies about whether it was genuine or not. Only after waking up, I noticed that it would have been found in a place where Old Albic never was spoken (Old Albic is meant to be spoken in pre-Celtic Britain). Well, I could include the object I dreamt about into my con-history as a mystery.
Trade (or looted) objects can show up in all kinds of places. I remeber reading about a Buddha Statuette showing up in a Viking hoard in Scandinavia.
Of course!

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Batteries and Breath Savers

Post by Pabappa »

A woman was asking if she could buy two packs of AA batteries for $5, since they were $2.99 each. But it turned out the deal was to buy a $2.99 pack of AA batteries and a $2.99 pack of Breath Savers and get them for $5, since batteries and breath mint tubes both look alike. Two people I work with (call them Ptăni and Lògʷa for now) were there,

This was happening where I work, except it was on "Canco" ... it took me 75m to get there,and was (like so many of my dreams) taking place in a 4 story building. Work was on the third floor. Before I got there, I went looking for a cafeteria , and spent 30m looking around on dirtier lower floors, and some areas "outside", without finding it. It turned out the cafeteria was on the 4th floor. The whole bulding was like a hospital.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Today's dream: I was in some kind of institution. My fellows from the university were also there. We were watching a Polish TV show, but this episode was unusual. Later I was packing in my room, packing and planning to leave. The institution was in a municipality called Turcia in Spain. I checked some buses from Spain to Poland on my phone, but there were few. Then I realized I lost some money using internet in roaming.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Maybe it was some relative of Old Albic that was previously unknown? ;)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Bristel wrote:
In the dream, the authenticity of the object was controversial. There once was a Hesperic language (i.e., one related to Old Albic) in the location of the find, but that seems never to have been written, at least not in the Old Albic script. The best explanation for the find is that it wound up in Germany by means of trade. Like that amber piece inscribed in Linear B that was found in Germany.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

WeepingElf wrote:
Bristel wrote:
In the dream, the authenticity of the object was controversial. There once was a Hesperic language (i.e., one related to Old Albic) in the location of the find, but that seems never to have been written, at least not in the Old Albic script. The best explanation for the find is that it wound up in Germany by means of trade. Like that amber piece inscribed in Linear B that was found in Germany.
I was going to mention trade, but my favourite example of this sort of thing is the Helgö Buddha which originally came from Northern India but ended up in Southern Sweden around 6,200km (4,000 miles) away. The main hypothesis, as far as I remember, is that the statuette was traded over and over again before ending up in the hands of Norse traders, a process possibly taking around 200-300 years.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

sangi39 wrote:I was going to mention trade, but my favourite example of this sort of thing is the Helgö Buddha which originally came from Northern India but ended up in Southern Sweden around 6,200km (4,000 miles) away. The main hypothesis, as far as I remember, is that the statuette was traded over and over again before ending up in the hands of Norse traders, a process possibly taking around 200-300 years.
That's the one I'd read about, thanks!

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

This post is long because noone postedi n this thread for a long time so I combined two poists (that where themselbes combimnatons) into one.

Jul 23 2015:
1.) Got some crème de menthe and it turned out it just tasted like mouthwash so i poured it in a tub of ice cream and let it mix and freeze with the ice cream.
'---------------
Jul 24, 2015:
2.) A small boy wins a scholarship that pays for his entire elem/middle/high school career up to grade 12, meaning that he doesnt have to attend school at all and is given his diploma when hes 2 years old. The school system is still responsible for providing him with an educatio so he shows up when he wants to to take tests, etc but cannoy be marked basewnt. if necessarey they have ti come unto his home to helpo out. Also, in Toronto, suddenly 2400% inflation (this ma havbe been in Toronto)

3.) Two toddlers went out to the supermarket by themselves to buy ice cream, and I was supposed to watch them tio makje sure they werent getting creme de menthe too to make cocktails. It didnt occur to me in the dream that they wouldnt have been able to do that anyway since they werent >21.

Both dreams probably cauwsed bny me seeing a girl about 4 yrs old wandering around the beach for an hour or so by herself yesterday.

'---------------------
Early August (aug 4 ithinj)
4.) A cryonosphere is a chemical shield used by primitive organisms that interacts with faraway particles in the stratosphere to keep them encased in a bubble of around -110C (=170F). For the first time in 1.2 billion years the shield is beginning to melt. Inside one bubble, as revealed by a documentary, is a seal. THe scientist narrator seems to be taking pleasure in knowing that the seal will soon be eaten. "Long king" is the name of the seal, atlhough it was give that name before it was known to humans that it was a seal (earlier the bubblewas deep blue and couldnt be seen through).

Turns out that as the bubble melts, the seal simply vomits very slowly , dispelling the otgher creatures that were planning to eat it. Then it builds the shield back up, going back to sleep "for another 1.2 billion years" according to the documentary. For some this reason this caused the sounds /v/ and /b/ to switch places in a phonology, and it became a "defective" phonlogy because suddenly /v/ was much more common than /b/., I bekuieve this language was Khulls or an ancestor of it. If the sound /ʕʷ/ is considered to be a "v" sound, as it becomes /v/ in its daughter language Ogili, then it could qualify, since /ʕʷ/ arose in part from an earlier /b/ and is more common than the current /b/. However the current /b/ mostly comes from /mʲ/ and /mʷ/.

'------
5.) Two shootings at the mall happen while heavy rain is leading to people floating down the streets. When Im approaching an intersection, a policeman fires from the rear passenger seat of his car at a different car, and that other car responds by shooting at me. The bullets just bounce harmlessly off my windhsield*, but I know that Im in danger. I was playing one of my favorite songs but the rai nwas almost overpowering it.

I go to the mall and ask for help, where there are enormous crowds of chuildren. They seem to say they couldnt help but I dont rememnber why. The mall was relatively normal in terms of its structure, e.g. no fifty extra floors, nonexistent stores, etc.
'-----
6.) A giant snake is eating people, but "Elizabeth and Donovan" spend their time piddling around because they dont want to fight. It mightve been "Elizabeth Ann Donovan" but since i never saw this face to face i was just going on what i heard in the dream, and that became the new relaity in the dreean.

*In my dreams, sharp objects usually dont "work". I think thats why as a kid i was afraid of elephants (which are huge but "soft") but not tigers, lions, bears, etc which have sharp teeth

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Dreamed I drank some yel;low Red BUll. I have the most mundane dreams ever.\ Actually a few days ago I had another "big building" dream where I went down into a 5th level basement in a library to look for a book on Franco. I believe the library was essentially based on pieces of real buildings I've been in, some of which were not libraries. That was actually a very pleasant dream, though its boring to explain to toher people so I wrotye about Red Bll instead.

'----------

I was in a natl park, Bidwell Patrk in CHico CA for example. Lots of hills and streams and it was ve3ry sunny out. But Im not feeling well because Im sick. Someone calls me on my cekllhone and I cant seem to answer. I managed to say some words anyway, but they didnt gfet to him because i couldnt get my thumb across the sscreen. But it makes mfe feel a little bit better because being completely without my voice means that my mother,m whom I caught the illness from, was not as weakened by other disaeses as i had worried.

a woman, Sarah, asksme if i wanted to ewatch "Wikimedia" with her. It seemed to be a movie. Even though this was ourdoors, there was a plaza with movies for $10 whih were packaged in gift boxes like what youd expect to be soap and perfume inmside. I think I said no but Im not sure if i verbally said no. She had asked "where are you now"? since she had moved to Australia and apparently considered it possible for me to suddenly sewitch country. She seemed to say that Wikimedia was an Internet proviuder in Ausyralia and that i wouldbt be able to view the movies unless I was in AUstralia. I noticed there were 2 Wikimedia movies, one of which seemed to be for children and may have actually been a movie about the making of the other movie.

An elderly woman askes me if Ive seen her geese. She has asked me htis before and again Im not sure if I verbally said "no" but I made it cleare I couldnt help. Suddenly a flock of hundreds of birds takes flight in front of us, in which i could see at least a few geese, but i felt that these still were not hers because they had dark, penguin-like coloration and hers were all white.

It started to rain very heavily, and i took shelter in a gazebo even though i love rain. The wood was so soft that i actually just purposely fell flat on the wood since it was as good as a bed. In the gwzebo some people talked to me about how they were all suffering from a severe cough and that made me feel better as I figured if they werent taking it that badlt, neither should I.

When the rain let up i saw a girl rafting down a river on a cedarboard boat. The river passed under a bridge, and the boat immediarely moved rightwards out of the river, under where I was standing. She apparently had docked it somehow and let go of the cargo she had been carrying. She seemed to be building campsites under the bridsge. THis seemingly was too impossible for even my dreams so I woke up.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I had a weird one: i got out of bed but forgot where i worked. or even if i worked, i was like "do i have a job, do i go to school? what is it i do in the mornings" so i tried to find someone who knew me to see if they could tell me something. I ran across a taxi driver, who took me somewhere, but that somewhere wasn't the place I was supposed to be. then it got all weird, with WW2 chaffee-class tanks fitting into a shoebox [but sherman-class tanks didn't fit into the box, the dream had some logic at least] and university parkings and a short big-breasted girl emo kind of girl.

but the overwhelming feeling was that of going out of bed to do your daily communte and finding out in the street that you don't quite know where you're commuting to.

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

I had a dream once that I was having a bike race with someone along almost the exact path I take every morning to the S-Bahn (≈ suburban railway) station. That someone was the Witch-king of Angmar, and I was Pippin Took.
My version of the SCA²

About my conlangs: No. 1 is my proto-language, and No. 4, my main conlang, is one of its descendants. I’m currently revising 4, calling it 4a.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Dreamed of an extremely handsome older policeman with jet black hair and blue eyes, and a thick mustache. He was smoking a bent stem briar pipe, and walked up to me to give me a ticket, which was really just an excuse to get me to write my name and number on a paper. I couldn't find a proper surface for writing it, so he puffed up his chest and let me put the pad on his pec muscle in order to write. Then he winked at me and we had a wild sexy time.

I really wish that dreams wouldn't end so quickly.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Bristel wrote:Dreamed of an extremely handsome older policeman with jet black hair and blue eyes, and a thick mustache. He was smoking a bent stem briar pipe, and walked up to me to give me a ticket, which was really just an excuse to get me to write my name and number on a paper. I couldn't find a proper surface for writing it, so he puffed up his chest and let me put the pad on his pec muscle in order to write. Then he winked at me and we had a wild sexy time.
Haha, this is epically cheesy! Awesome.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Yes, I enjoyed it greatly.

But last night's dream not so much:

A perfectly pleasant dream about rain, then horrifying, as I scream out the windows to warn my dad and step-mom about a tornado, see it coming in the distance, then I hear some creepy voice out loud say "it must be fun to get the sticks, to roll the die and get the six" and suddenly the whole back house/guest room I'm in lifts off the ground.

The little rhyme part might not be correct, but it's as close as I could remember, and I probably changed it up a bit.

It's really freaky. :( I hate tornado dreams, and I have had a lot of them in my life.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró