What are you reading, watching and listening to?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: What are you reading, watching and listening to?

Post by rotting bones »

Budding fascists and communists in this forum might find this channel interesting: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPdk3J ... =0&sort=da
Ryusenshi wrote:Currently trudging through Hamlet, which I had never read or seen before. Reading Elizabethan English is hard.
I don't know if this works for other people, but getting the accent right helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

An interesting tidbit about the second link: the actor there is the son of David Crystal, who wrote the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Linguistics.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Reading Maximum City, following Zompist's recommendation.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Also, he has a linguistic peculiarity: he pronounces «-ction» words as /-ktʃən/. Ever come across that before?

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

I am no longer reading The Count of Monte Cristo.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Salmoneus wrote:I am no longer reading The Count of Monte Cristo.
You finished it or you got bored by it?

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

hwhatting wrote:
Or perhaps he came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the trouble to read all the way to the end?

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Vijay wrote:
hwhatting wrote:
Or perhaps he came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the trouble to read all the way to the end?
For me, that's included in "getting bored". Or do you think that anyone reads a book and says, "wow, that's a really thrilling read, but it's not worth finishing it"? (Now, the obverse makes more sense to me - you can get bored by a book and still decide that you need finish it and trudge through till the end, or put it on hold.)

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

hwhatting wrote:Or do you think that anyone reads a book and says, "wow, that's a really thrilling read, but it's not worth finishing it"?
Pretty sure I've done this myself. I do this with other things, too. Life is too short to pursue every little thing that might be interesting to us.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Vijay wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Or do you think that anyone reads a book and says, "wow, that's a really thrilling read, but it's not worth finishing it"?
Pretty sure I've done this myself. I do this with other things, too. Life is too short to pursue every little thing that might be interesting to us.
(1) "Not worth finishing it" and (2) "not top priority" are two different categories to me, but that' maybe just me. (1) means I've decided to never take it up again (a decision which, of course, can be revised with time), (2) means I'm putting it aside for the moment (and in the end it may mean that I never get around to finishing it, but that's a different issue.) But suum cuique.
And well, I interpret Sal's post as "I won't continue reading the book", while it can, of course, possibly mean "I've put it aside for an indefinite time".

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

You can also decide never to take something up again because it's not top priority, though. There are some lovely books about math that we have right here in my house and that fascinate me, but I'm not a mathematician so I'll probably never finish reading any of them given that I also have plenty of language books I'd rather read first.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

So everyone tells Ophelia that Hamlet's in love with her, even though we haven't heard any word from him that would imply so. And now, we finally see them together... and he basically implies that she's a slut, and tells her to get to a nunnery (which, as I understand, is Elizabethan English for "fuck off").

Is it me, or is the famous "To be or not to be" speech totally out of the blue and barely connected to the rest of the play?

The good thing is that I've managed to avoid being spoiled so far, except for the fact that basically everybody dies at the end (par for the course in a Shakespearean tragedy).
rotting bones wrote:I don't know if this works for other people, but getting the accent right helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M
Thanks, but it's hard enough as-is. Maybe some other time.

By the way: I don't really know how meters work in English. Does anyone know about a good resource about them?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

rotting bones wrote:I don't know if this works for other people, but getting the accent right helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M
So, Shakespearean English was basically Scottish? :D

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

For my new conworld, I'm using this discussion as a starting point to craft stories at the personal level: https://samzdat.com/2017/08/28/the-uruk-machine/
Pole, the wrote:So, Shakespearean English was basically Scottish? :D
Can't deny the thought crossed my mind. :p

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Pole, the wrote:
So, Shakespearean English was basically Scottish? :D
That's not Scottish.

It's West Country. Or more accurately, it's a southern rural accent, of which West Country is the best-known surviving representative (although the old Kent and Sussex accents won't completly die out for a decade or so). Specifically, the usual description is "West Country with an American twang".

If you like the accent, btw, I suggest checking out the John Adams miniseries; although of course it's not 100% accurate (we don't have enough information to make it 100% accurate, even if the actors could manage it), but they try to give generally believable 18th century American accents. The Boston and Philadelphia accents are very clearly (a more pleasant!) progenitor to modern American accents, but the Virginian accent Stephen Dillane has as Thomas Jefferson is very Shakesperian. (Virginia was settled primarily from the West Country).

[Apparently this was controversial - a lot of critics seem furious that HBO would unpatriotically and nonsensically give the Founding Fathers 'British accents' instead of the real American ones they obviously had... (though to a British ear they're all still very American)]

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Ryusenshi wrote:Is it me, or is the famous "To be or not to be" speech totally out of the blue and barely connected to the rest of the play?
It's not just you. The Wikipedia article on that speech says: "The meaning of the speech is heavily debated but seems concerned with Hamlet's hesitation to directly and immediately avenge his father's murder (discovered in Act I) on his uncle, stepfather, and King Claudius."
By the way: I don't really know how meters work in English. Does anyone know about a good resource about them?
I think every high (or even middle?) school English literature book I've seen has a pretty straightforward description of this tbh. The most common meter in English poetry is iambic pentameter. This is also the one Shakespeare used in his plays and sonnets.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -8xoqZns6i

Does anyone know of really good recorded campaigns?

Edit: Finished. Since they mentioned Patrick Rothfuss plays DnD, moving on to one of those: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 4DCuyjVKSl

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I've watched The Force Awakens and I must say I enjoyed it. (And it was probably the first SW movie I watched and enjoyed.)

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

I'm not reading it now anymore, but I've recently finished The One Device by Brian Merchant, a non-fiction book that is strictly speaking about the iPhone, but has enough parts that apply to all modern smartphones that I found it interesting although I use Android myself.

Edit: I should probably note that the book is not some kind of user guide or manual or something like that; it's partly about the technological history involved and partly about the required manufacturing processes.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Not that long ago I read The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder, about the development of the Data General Eclipse MV/8000 and everything that went into it.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

I saw Lucy. It was astonishing. How could a great director produce such a totally rubbish film? Was he on drugs? Has he joined a brainwashing cult? What?

I do have to give him credit for the moments where he appeared to be saying 'fuck you' to the audience - like the ending, which is just some shots emphasising how weird everything is, and then the film randomly ends in the middle of a scene.

But the "I don't care if you think my film is good!" thing works better when the film isn't total trash.

I mean, it's baffling how anyone at any stage of this could have thought that any of this was a good idea. Was a dare?

Or did anything genuinely think the key to making a good film was:
- hire a really good actress and then create a plot reason for her to show no expressions at all for the last 9/10ths of the film
- spend most of the running time on 'chases' and 'fights' where the protagonist was explicitly made clear to never be in any danger whatsoever and didn't even have to bother fighting
- have no clear narrative arc
- have a plot that was unrelated to the themes in any way, and that didn't even make sense
- spend half the rest of the running time on incredibly shallow and cliché cod-philosophy lectures
- spend the other half on science infodumps about science that made absolutely no sense, to the point where everyone in the audience knew it

It really does feel like performance art, where he's intentionally making his film as bad as possible, "ironically".