What are you reading, watching and listening to?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Andrew F
Niš
Niš

Re: What are you reading, watching and listening to?

Post by Andrew F »

Reading: I'm not reading much at the moment but the last thing I read was The Company by K.J. Parker. It dragged a little in the middle as I wasn't really sure where the storyline was going but I enjoyed it enough. The ending was a kick in the teeth though. I don't mind open endings but I do mind a ridiculous last paragraph tacking some kind of mythology onto the book. I've read some of the praise for K.J. Parker's trilogies but after this ending I'm a little wary of investing time in them. I will probably read them in the summer to see.

Watching: Not much to speak of. Recently I've been watching Sons of Anarchy (bought on a whim and enjoyed more than expected), and the IT Crowd (I have turned up late for more than one lecture this term because of this one). Also, Being Human. I'd say this series has been the best so far for character development, laughs and tense/suspenseful moments.

Listening: I have been listening to some of the tracks used in Sons of Anarchy and Being Human, that is Hands in the Sky (Straylight Run), Someday Never Comes (CCR), and History Repeating (with Shirley Bassey).

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Reading:
Ghost Wars by Steve Coll
Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay
Bossypants by Tina Fey
Understanding Minimalism by Norbert Hornstein et. al. (about to start this one after I make this post)

Listening: Right now, Fall into line by Tiny Tin Lady. Been really into Anaïs Mitchell lately.

Watching: was going to watch the Game of Thrones premiere tonight but I won't have access to HBO unfortunately :(

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

roninbodhisattva wrote:Watching: was going to watch the Game of Thrones premiere tonight but I won't have access to HBO unfortunately :(
Same here. I don't have a TV of my own, and none of the ones on campus get HBO.
Kuku-kuku kaki kakak kakekku kaku kaku.
'the toenails of my grandfather's elder brother are stiff'

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Matt wrote:
roninbodhisattva wrote:Watching: was going to watch the Game of Thrones premiere tonight but I won't have access to HBO unfortunately :(
Same here. I don't have a TV of my own, and none of the ones on campus get HBO.
Downloading it is!

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sirred »

I am currently listening to Pet Sounds. At this very moment, both the album and the track.
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

Lleu
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lleu »

À l'écoute : "Comin' Back Soon (Bereft Man's Song)" — Crash Test Dummies

Reading: I am just now taking a break from my Greek homework, which tonight is finishing off the Lattimore translation of the Odyssey. Other books I am in the middle of: Liechtenstein: A Modern History (David Beattie), Le Souffle de la hyène (Pierre Bottero), rereading Smoke and Mirrors (Neil Gaiman). Also Husain Haddawy's translation of The Arabian Nights.

Watching: I'm finally up to season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I'm about halfway through the first season of Angel.
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Reading: David Eddings - The Belgariad series. Extremely lightweight fantasy and not particularly interesting. That was my opinion about ten years ago as well, and wouldn't have touched it except that a friend gave me the series for my E-reader.

Watching: Finished a rewatch of Azumanga Daioh yesterday. Good stuff, lots of laughs as always. Presently started a rewatch of Escaflowne, which is also always good fun.

Listening: On a bit of a Stratovarius binge at the moment. Mostly got the Visions/Infinite/Destiny albums on repeat.
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Warmaster wrote:E-reader.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Zaris
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Zaris »

Reading; Haven't stuck my face between pages in a while. I keep meaning to get back to Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. Pretty interesting, yet gets repetitive and historical in the middle rather than philosophical. After that I suppose Ill get to that Russian Diachronics book I was meaning to get.

Watching: Just started watching a few episodes of Rideback. The action is pretty good and the effects blend in pretty well. A recommended watch.

Listening: Right now Ive been diving back into classical hip-hop before it was a show.
lish duper jivvin draeval!

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I'm watching Mahoromatic, subbed. 'Tis awesome.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Caro Emerald, Dutch contemp jazz singer. I just ordered her CD. Can't wait for it to arrive!
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sal thinks this is offensive.

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simmalti
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Simmalti »

:| ... :mrgreen:

At the moment, I'm listening to (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOa ... ure=fvwrel) and can't stop laughing

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

That is brilliant. :D

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Einojuhani Rautavaara - Symphony No. 8: The Journey

Rautavaara is badass.

I grabbed the first season of Sealab 2021 a while back, so I might watch that later today.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Reading The first two volumes of A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings, both in English since there's no Catalan translation. And I should begin soon Arthur M. Eckstein's Mediterranean Anarchy, Interstate War and the Rise of Rome, or perhaps The Wreck of Catalonia: Civil War in the Fifteenth Century, by Alan Ryder.

Watching Game of Thrones, the last episodes of The Big bang Theory's current season, and 2nd season of The IT crowd; this one in Catalan, the other two in English.

Listening Taio Cruz & Kylie Minogue's Higher, Rihanna & David Guetta's Who's that chick and Britney Spear's Till the world ends is what I'm listening more these days. And the radio show La Competència in RAC1, if that counts too.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Reading: No current reading project, which means I'll probably restart one of the Discworld books soon

Watching: Currently there's season 3 of Le Coeur A Ses Raisons in my DVD player

Listening: λ♥[love] (Linguistics Love Song) right at this very moment
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

I haven't really had time to read much, but since ap testing is finally over I've been looking back over Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. I just ordered the first three Harry Potter books in French, so I'm relatively excited about that :p

And at the moment I just finished watching Jean de Florette (soon to start Sources de Manon). I'd definitely recommend them, particularly if you're relatively fond of Gerard Depardieu.

Oh. I've also been listening the Coraline soundtrack quite a bit. It's pretty catchy.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

I just finished Brighton Rock, which was a torment of ineptitude-in-writing (I think J. M. Coetzee's Introduction to it is just on the verge of saying "this book really is crap, but I was paid for writing an introduction to it so I really should be subtle about expressing this"). Now I'm starting McCarthy's Blood Meridian, which has been recommended to me from various sources, plus I love the guy's writing style, so it should prove much more enjoyable.

I'm just in the middle (literally) of watching Scott's Kingdom of Heaven (the director's cut or whatever), and, well, you know. If the protagonist were deleted from it, it would actually be quite a decent film. In any case, I'm still hooked on The Wire, which I finished watching a couple of weeks ago... but it's such a goddamn great show that I can't really stop thinking about it. Is you taking notes on a fucking criminal conspiracy? =)

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Reading: Das Kapital by Karl Marx

Watching: Nothing really

Listening: Small Town by Chumbawamba
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I found out about a series made about five years ago called The Future is Wild. How good is it as entertainment? I know it isn't good science, but I find things like that fascinating.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

dhokarena56 wrote:I found out about a series made about five years ago called The Future is Wild. How good is it as entertainment? I know it isn't good science, but I find things like that fascinating.
I thought it was quite interesting when it was on.

Reading: A few half-finished books including Tintenherz by Cornelia Funke and The Invention by Matthew Gelbert.
Listening: Last song I listened to was shamisen Ayuga Sawa Jinku by Takahashi Chikuzan
Watching: Blue Seed dubbed in French.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

dhokarena56 wrote:I found out about a series made about five years ago called The Future is Wild. How good is it as entertainment? I know it isn't good science, but I find things like that fascinating.
It's good fun... FLISHES :D !
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One