Venting thread that still excludes eddy (2)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Venting thread

Post by finlay »

mèþru wrote:Also, yes, agree with her that how she was silenced was bad. How facebook approached this was awful. Yes, stalkers discussing how to censor you is awful. But blaming others and blaming yourself is not mutually exclusive. I hope that "gender-critical" isn't another synonym for TERF because I haven't heard of them until recently (well I haven't heard of TERFs until last month) and I have been using that describe my own views (gender is awful and we'd probably be better off without social genders at all).
Pretty sure it is

kuroda
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kuroda »

alice wrote:
hwhatting wrote:What is a TERF?
Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist. A subspecies of feminist who denies that there is or can ever be anything in between "male" and "female", and thus refuses to accept the existence of intersex or transsexual people.
Well, that's a definition of "TERF" used by non-TERFS. I've never met anyone so designated as a TERF who takes it seriously, if they're even really aware of it -- and certainly I've never met one who doesn't "accept the existence of intersex or transsexual people" (!!! :roll: )
CONLANG Code: C:S/G v1.1 !lafh+>x cN:L:S:G a+ x:0 n4d:2d !B A--- E-- L--- N0 Id/s/v/c k- ia--@:+ p+ s+@ m-- o+ P--- S++ Neo-Khitanese

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Well, Nina Paley herself doesn't deny the existence of transgender people. She just excludes (note the term) them from feminism because they either weren't born women or betrayed women to identify as men. She even called a transwoman a man online. According to herself, she has friends who are trans (well, she also has friends who are male despite being describing herself as a man-hater in one of her posts). Nina Paley also said that she can't tell the difference between a male rapist wearing a disguise and a transwoman. I think there's a spectrum among TERFdom between those who say they all hate trans people, those who say transwomen should not be equated with "womyn-born-womyn" and those in between.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

So what's a term for being against having social genders that isn't associated with transphobia?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Thanks!
kårroť

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

mèþru wrote:So what's a term for being against having social genders that isn't associated with transphobia?
How about we stop making up words (yes, yes, I know where I am) and just use the one that already existed for many years: sane?

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Aili Meilani wrote:
mèþru wrote:So what's a term for being against having social genders that isn't associated with transphobia?
How about we stop making up words (yes, yes, I know where I am) and just use the one that already existed for many years: sane?
And how does that communicate the meaning that mèþru intended? How does "sane" indicate that one is against social genders?
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

kuroda
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kuroda »

mèþru wrote:Well, Nina Paley herself doesn't deny the existence of transgender people[....].
To loop back to the original post in this subthread (is that the word for it?), I feel I should fess up and say that I had no idea who Nina Paley is (and still don't, besides what that post told me: an animator?). Mèþru, I hope you don't stress over this, or maybe even take it seriously at all. Counting on artists for social ~ political leadership is a losing game, a badly losing game! ;)
CONLANG Code: C:S/G v1.1 !lafh+>x cN:L:S:G a+ x:0 n4d:2d !B A--- E-- L--- N0 Id/s/v/c k- ia--@:+ p+ s+@ m-- o+ P--- S++ Neo-Khitanese

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

kuroda wrote:
mèþru wrote:Well, Nina Paley herself doesn't deny the existence of transgender people[....].
To loop back to the original post in this subthread (is that the word for it?), I feel I should fess up and say that I had no idea who Nina Paley is (and still don't, besides what that post told me: an animator?).
Pretty much. Also, a cartoonist and free culture activist.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Yeah, I feel better about it by now. It's just like welp, my hero is evil now. Or probably she was evil all along and I chose to ignore it so I can admire the things like about her. Like the people who deny the Cosby allegations except on a much lesser level because I'm sure that Nina Paley didn't commit any crimes, let alone anything as horrible as rape.
kårroť

malloc
Lebom
Lebom

Post by malloc »

I am not even sure what I'm doing with my life anymore. I am a charlatan pretending to support a moribund political movement. I keep making mistakes at work, ruining my chances of getting a better job.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Some years ago, I came across an article which asked "Are you role-playing your job?" I never read the article, but I like the phrase. It pretty accurately sums up my experience here.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

I would like to have more information on both of those to understand them better.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Both of what?

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Both of those posts i.e. both malloc's and linguoboy's.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I would like to have more information on my job so I would understand it, like, at all.

I feel like a person who's already sold five weeks of their life for a couple of digits on their bank account and is going to sell more… which I, in a sense, am.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Boys are dum.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I don't identify as a boy.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Pole, the wrote:I don't identify as a boy.
That's a vent?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Actually, that was supposed to be a response. But let me try again.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Pole, the wrote:Actually, that was supposed to be a response.
To what?

[Hint: It's not always about you.]

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I just thought we're having some thread over here.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

The post office guys in my town are idiots. Every time a package is sent to my house, they don't even try to call me on the intercom (the website says "recipient unavailable" even when I was home all day), and they don't even leave a message as they're supposed to.

The last time, I went to the post office to claim the undelivered package, and they said that there was nothing for me. Two weeks later, the package was sent back to the sender, with a notice that it hadn't been claimed by the recipient.