Venting thread that still excludes eddy (2)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Venting thread

Post by Vijay »

Fucking admins on a certain fucking forum (obviously not this one, because it only has one admin, so to speak, and I said admins). Motherfuckers escalate every goddamn thing. Dear admins of said forum, FUCK OFF! Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Sincerely, Pissed-Off Sonofabitch.

URGHHHH!!!

(Well, it is the venting thread after all! :D)

Axiem
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Axiem »

Bought a car a while back, with a warranty coverage package.

After having the car a while, the A/C doesn't work.

I take the car into the shop, they say the compressor is bad.

Warranty company doesn't want to cover a real replacement part; they want to use one of their own replacement parts. They send it to the shop.

The shop installs the compressor, and it apparently wrecks the whole A/C system.

Warranty company says they won't cover "the whole system", and wants to know exactly what's broken.

Shop says they can't figure out what exactly is broken for reasons. Warranty company doesn't like that answer. Shop points out that part warranty company sent over broke the whole thing. Both point blame finger at each other.

Sometimes I hate being an adult.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Axiem wrote:Bought a car a while back, with a warranty coverage package.

After having the car a while, the A/C doesn't work.

I take the car into the shop, they say the compressor is bad.

Warranty company doesn't want to cover a real replacement part; they want to use one of their own replacement parts. They send it to the shop.

The shop installs the compressor, and it apparently wrecks the whole A/C system.

Warranty company says they won't cover "the whole system", and wants to know exactly what's broken.

Shop says they can't figure out what exactly is broken for reasons. Warranty company doesn't like that answer. Shop points out that part warranty company sent over broke the whole thing. Both point blame finger at each other.

Sometimes I hate being an adult.
Oh god, insurance companies and warranty policies are all the same. I hate them so much.
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

We recently hired a car for a week's holiday. During this time the battery cut out twice, and we had had to go to a garage where the problem turned out to be a dirty earth connection. The car hire company promised to refund the bill along with the deposit, but after six weeks and several phonecalls (which they stopped answering) had done nothing. So we lost patience and went round to the industrial estate which their website claimed was their address, only to find that there was no sign of them there at all. The closest we got was someone who told us that we "weren't the only ones who had a problem with him", although this someone refused to offer any more than several dark hints. The harsh fact is that we've been done out of £124.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Got stopped by the Geman Federal Police for an ID check when I was headed back from Trier tonight. Don't know why. Still feeling a bit uneasy after the whole thing...
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

I wish I could afford to retire.
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

My parents have started making a big deal out of the fact that I don't have a job again. I wish they understood that that doesn't help me find a job.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

So at Cambridge I'm part of a classical music ensemble, and we just gave a concert in a college chapel. We started out with an audience of 5. We ended with an audience of 3 (I reckon it was the Britten that drove them away: Lachrymae isn't exactly one of his more accesible pieces).

I mean I did enjoy playing in the ensemble and I'm glad to be a part of it, but it's just a bit annoying I guess.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Frislander wrote:So at Cambridge I'm part of a classical music ensemble, and we just gave a concert in a college chapel. We started out with an audience of 5. We ended with an audience of 3 (I reckon it was the Britten that drove them away: Lachrymae isn't exactly one of his more accesible pieces).

I mean I did enjoy playing in the ensemble and I'm glad to be a part of it, but it's just a bit annoying I guess.
Congratulations on the ensemble.

And yeah, even in Cambridge, Britten is not going to draw in the punters, I suspect. Does he even have accessible pieces? Other than the YPGttO, the Britten I've heard can be divided into the 'inaccessible' and the 'aggressively unpleasant'... although I suppose that by the standards of his day he was relatively populist...

(seriously, though, another problem is just that classical music concerts are very often too long for casual viewers. Put people on dedicated seating in an official-seeming room and give them tickets and a programme, and they may feel they need to stay out of decorum, but put on a lunchtime performance in the college chapel* and you're likely to find people treating it like street entertainment: they come along, listen to a bit, get bored, and wander off...)

*obviously it depends on the chapel. The college chapel of Christ Church, has a slightly different ambience...

Is this a new ensemble, or have you joined an existing one? And are we talking 'quartet', or 'orchestra'? (Lachrymae is for a solo string instrument, isn't it?)
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Salmoneus wrote:And yeah, even in Cambridge, Britten is not going to draw in the punters, I suspect. Does he even have accessible pieces? Other than the YPGttO, the Britten I've heard can be divided into the 'inaccessible' and the 'aggressively unpleasant'... although I suppose that by the standards of his day he was relatively populist...
Fair enough, though even one of the biggest names on the Cambridge classical music scene (a Britten lover no less) couldn't turn up for us, which fair enough if he was busy, but still that didn't entirely help.

I did enjoy the Britten actually, but then I also like Shostakovich's 14th Symphony, so of course my tastes in music are a good indication of what's popular.
(seriously, though, another problem is just that classical music concerts are very often too long for casual viewers. Put people on dedicated seating in an official-seeming room and give them tickets and a programme, and they may feel they need to stay out of decorum, but put on a lunchtime performance in the college chapel* and you're likely to find people treating it like street entertainment: they come along, listen to a bit, get bored, and wander off...)
Only problem with that assessment is 1. the concert was less than an hour long and 2. it sttarted at half eight in the evening. I will give you credit on the college chapel thing though, this isn't exactly the most prominent and well-known of colleges, to the point where I think we'd have been a bigger draw over at my place Selwyn.
Is this a new ensemble, or have you joined an existing one? And are we talking 'quartet', or 'orchestra'? (Lachrymae is for a solo string instrument, isn't it?)
No, it's been around for at least a few years, they had a stall in the fresher's fair and everything, and it's definitely an orchestra, with Lachrymae basically being our concerto for the evening (Lachrymae was written originall for solo viola and piano, but we played the arrangement with string ensemble accompanying instead, which was the version I linked to).

(Of course the information provided above would be enough for you to actually find the ensemble should you be so inclined, but probably not.)
*obviously it depends on the chapel. The college chapel of Christ Church, has a slightly different ambience...
I knew Oxford Cathedral was basically a college chapel! Just couldn't remember which one.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

So this isn't really much of a vent, but last weekend I went down for a bear run in my hometown. I deliberately didn't tell my family because I didn't want to have to try and fit in a visit to see them. Then my sister went and planned a birthday party for my dad on the last day, which wasn't a big deal since I'd been planning to fly back that afternoon anyway. I didn't tell her I was already going to be in town, I just delayed my flight a day and said I'd be able to alter my plans in order to come by.

Then my dork-ass younger brother had to go and spill the beans which is how while running on fumes (having been up until 4 a.m. the night before and unable to sleep past 6 a.m. because of stupid DST and what-have-you) at a party with a bunch of my parents' friends who I'd never met before, I ended up suddenly having to field questions on my "convention". My gay friends were like "Aw, that's sweet" and I understand that a lot of families wouldn't want to know or would be openly critical and hostile. But that still doesn't mean I want to be put on the spot like that.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Ugh, I hate it when my family puts me on the spot, too. Did you at least have fun at the bear run?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Vijay wrote:Ugh, I hate it when my family puts me on the spot, too. Did you at least have fun at the bear run?
I had a great time. I could have made some better choices at times, but generally I didn't do too badly. It was good for me to try to put some of my improved understanding of consent into practice. I reconnected with some people I've known forever and met a lot of fun new guys. And I got to see parts of my hometown that I never would have otherwise.

I'm not 100% sold on going back next year, but if not this event, I think I'll do another.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

My stupid sleeping cycle! I missed out on a date today because I missed a phone call because I was asleep and had white noise on to block out my noisy flatmates. And I don't know how to be apologetic without being overly apologetic in my reply to his lovely text and my brain is like "YOU WILL BE ALONE FOREVER BECAUSE YOU SLEPT THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON", which is insane, but yeah, my brain.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Sleeping cycle? What is a sleeping cycle?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Pole, the wrote:Sleeping cycle? What is a sleeping cycle?
It's this thing that neurotypical people claim to have that makes them sleep at regular times, generally in the night.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Imralu wrote:
It's this thing that neurotypical people claim to have that makes them sleep at regular times, generally in the night.
No it isn't; it's a new type of bike.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

alice wrote:
Imralu wrote:
No it isn't; it's a new type of bike.
Oh, right, well, this stupid bike prevented me from going on a date yesterday.
________
MY MUSIC

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

That reminds of the time I invited friends out, an then they texted me to confirm it was still on. I didn't notice the phone for like an hour so it got cancelled.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

There was a homicide in my area a few days ago. The murderer is known but hasn't been caught yet (probably hiding out of state). I'm scared to venture outside of my home (I still do because I have to for a lot of things, but I get worried). I wish moving was an option for me.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I'm feeling like shit. Haven't slept properly for three days, can barely concentrate on anything and constantly feel like I'm gonna puke.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

Now they're trying to import the Black Friday to France. (Actually, it seems to have started in 2014, but I hadn't really noticed. Plus we had other things on our mind two years ago.)

Is Black Friday supposed to, like, mean something? Or is it a naked celebration of capitalism and consumerism?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Ryusenshi wrote:Is Black Friday supposed to, like, mean something? Or is it a naked celebration of capitalism and consumerism?
Are you some how implying that the naked celebration of capitalism and consumerism is meaningless?

It's been very weird to me to see the moniker "Black Friday" catch on like it has. My first encountre with the name was in online groups with names like "customers_suck" where retail workers bitched anonymously about terrible encountres with entitled shoppers. Wikipedia tries to give the name a positive association of the day when retailers came to be "in the black" (from the tradition of recording losses in red ink and profits in black) but the consensus among clerks was that it was the absolute worse day of the year to be stuck on a service floor. So to see retailers freely use it in their ads is a bit surreal.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

linguoboy wrote:Are you some how implying that the naked celebration of capitalism and consumerism is meaningless?
That was just a flippant way of asking a real question: was it always just a marketing tool, or does it come from some older tradition?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Ryusenshi wrote:Now they're trying to import the Black Friday to France. (Actually, it seems to have started in 2014, but I hadn't really noticed. Plus we had other things on our mind two years ago.)
Also in Poland. Maybe that's the same guys (I think I have seen something related to Black Friday in a local Carrefour, although I'm not sure).