What are you playing?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Bob Johnson »

aww but I was having fun arguing in circles!

Mashmakhan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mashmakhan »

FRICKIN' FINALLY

The levels got noticeably more difficult after 5-3 so I wasn't able to beat Wart as soon as I thought. But I did, and - quite frankly - he wasn't as difficult as he could have been. I definately wasn't as intimidated by him as I was with other bosses like Triclyde or Fryguy. I was even able to beat him again shortly after without attaining any damage at all. Of course there is a trick to it, though.

And what happened afterward...

Altogether an interesting and entertaining game.

My favourite Mario game would have to be a tie between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. Haven't played Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island or any of the games that came out after Super Mario 64 yet.
vampireshark wrote:plus, as it seems like you have all the NES versions, that's not too much of an issue.
It is when Super Mario World isn't included :( But mostly you are right - without sole ownership of the X-box, I would not have been able to enjoy The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind as much as I did.

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Darn it, I've been playing that and I can't beat 6-2. I'm using the warps even!

Mashmakhan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mashmakhan »

I was just there, too, not so long ago... Wish I could provide some personal advice but I don't have a save state near that part. I can give you this, though:
The Super Mario Wiki wrote:World 6-2

Ride the Albatoss going right until reaching a platform that contains a magic potion, which will provide one coin and one mushroom. Then ride another Albatoss going to the left until the player reaches a third Albatoss that is above the second one and going back to the left. Ride that third Albatoss to the end of the screen. Birdo shoots fire only again.
For some personal advice, you will need to ride those bird things throughout the parts that don't have any ground. You use a bird a total of three times, I believe: one low-flying bird flying right at the very beginning, one higher-flying bird flying left after you use the potion, and one high-flying bird flying left once you get back to the start of the level. You will need to jump directly from the second bird to the third bird; if you miss your jump, you will need to start all over again. Once on the third bird, you will need to do some jumping to avoid the beezos flying in the opposite direction. After a while you will reach more land.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Oh, I actually skipped that part. I meant 7-2. I ran out of continues anyway and I have to start over. :(
I keep getting killed at the castle.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Mashmakhan wrote:My favourite Mario game would have to be a tie between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. Haven't played Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island or any of the games that came out after Super Mario 64 yet.
Wow, that's an early cut-off. Anyways, I love Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy, though the former of the two definitely has a very nasty sadistic streak in some areas. I've also gone through the New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, which is quite fun (but hard if you're trying for 100% completion), Yoshi's Island DS (shorter than the first one, but more than a bit harder to get the 100% score on each level), and most of Super Mario 3D Land, which is also good... and pretty hard, as well, to get perfect completion on.
Mashmakhan wrote:
vampireshark wrote:plus, as it seems like you have all the NES versions, that's not too much of an issue.
It is when Super Mario World isn't included :( But mostly you are right - without sole ownership of the X-box, I would not have been able to enjoy The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind as much as I did.
Yeah, World's awesome. But there is good out of everything and, from what I've heard, Elder Scrolls games probably qualify as that "good".
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Pthug wrote:barely anyone was playing them in 1995 either!
Adjusted for inflation, that's about 4 times more money in 2007 than in 1995. Four times less is hardly "barely anyone". Also, each person who does play them is likely to play a larger number of games now than before. The increase in number of games per player could easily be as big as the increase in number of games, which would mean it's only about twice as many players.

Mashmakhan: Are you playing SMB2 and SMW at the same time? Impressive. :P

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

sonic
the
fucking
hedgehog

Mashmakhan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mashmakhan »

Changes made to the Super Mario Advance 2 version of Super Mario World:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Brothers_4#List_of_ChangesThe%20Super%20Mario%20Wiki wrote:List of Changes
  • If the player manages to collect all five Yoshi Coins in every single level, all the Yoshi Coins will change into Peach Coins (after watching a cutscene where this happens). The player can also check out in which levels the Yoshi Coins have been collected or not, by simply pressing SELECT.
  • Voices have been added to Mario, Luigi and all of the Bosses apart from the Reznors. Some of Mario and Luigi's voices were ripped from the first Mario Advance, while the others are new. Also, bosses yelp as Bowser does today when they are defeated.
  • Players can have up to 999 lives and save the number of lives for the next time the player plays the game.
  • Players now start out with the power up they last had.
  • There are more Message Blocks throughout the game than the SNES version. They're now also headed with the phrase "Tourist Tips" on top of each one the player gets.
  • When the player gets hurt with Cape or Fire power, the player won't become tiny and need to use the item in reserve (if any), but the player will become Super Mario/Luigi, and they will keep the reserve item.
  • After completing all 96 goals in the game, most of the message blocks will be changed to congratulate the player on finding the secret world.
  • The player can get the colored Yoshis in ? Blocks: a Blue Yoshi if the player is Cape Mario/Cape Luigi, a Red Yoshi if the player is Fire Mario/Fire Luigi and a Green Yoshi or Yellow Yoshi if the player is Small Mario/Small Luigi or Super Mario/Super Luigi. This only happens after the Mario Bros. have used the Yoshis in Star World.
  • Luigi is an optional character for player 1 and he has some differences:
    • Luigi jumps higher and farther than Mario.
    • Luigi runs slower than Mario.
    • When Luigi flies using the Cape, he doesn't fly as fast as Mario.
    • When hurled, Fire Luigi's fireballs bounce higher than Fire Mario's.
    • Unlike Mario, when Luigi rides Yoshi, he does not instantly swallow any enemy. Instead, Yoshi can spit them out and use them to attack other enemies. If Yoshi has an enemy in his mouth for about eight seconds, he will swallow it.
    • If Luigi hits a Coin Block, all the coins will spill out of the block instead of collecting them one by one.
  • The player can also save half-way through a level once the player has past the half-way gate and quit. When the player comes back to that level, the player will start from the half-way gate and it is not affected by playing another level after doing this process.
  • The rescued Yoshi Egg dots are colored instead of being a dull gray-brown color.
  • Princess Peach has a slightly different appearance. The color of her dress is lighter and she has bangs.
  • Luigi is updated to resemble his current look: tall and skinny, while Mario and all the others are still the original sprites from the SNES game.
  • The autumn changes will not occur until the player has found all 96 exits. Goombas and Pokeys now change. However, in the ending credits, although the alternate enemies are displayed if 96 exits have been cleared, their original names will always be displayed. The alternate forms are not given names in the credits in this version.
  • Because there is only one run button on the GBA, it is impossible for Mario to turn around while flying with the cape, or release fireballs while holding an object.
  • Instead of Yoshi having orange hands and arms, they were like the rest of the body's color (for example, a Blue Yoshi would have blue arms instead of green). This is due to the fact that later games featuring Yoshi was like that and it become a staple for Yoshi's coloring. The artwork for Super Mario World even featured it, so reasons in-game for the arms to be orange is unknown.
  • Mario's Fire Flower suit has a lighter shade of red in the Game Boy Advance remake than in the original.
  • In the seventh room of Bowser's Castle which features the Bowser Statues that spit out flames, the Game Boy Advance remake didn't have the first statue spitting out flames, thereby making the first part of the room much easier.
  • In castle #3 Lemmy's Castle, a powerup found lying around in the last room is a feather in the advance game rather than a Super Mushroom.
WTH...what was possibly too difficult about Super Mario World!? I finished the entire game lots of times without any real difficulty before this version came out! It was the first Mario game and one of the first ever console games that I completed! WTH, Nintendo??

Fortunately I think I can help with level 7-2. I made a Save State at the beginning of the level so I wouldn't need to go through the entire game again whenever I want to defeat Wart. Ask me whenever you want a screenshot or a suggestion.

Mashmakhan wrote:My favourite Mario game would have to be a tie between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. Haven't played Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island or any of the games that came out after Super Mario 64 yet.
Wow, that's an early cut-off.
I never got to play SMW2: Yoshi's Island when it came out so my cut-off didn't start there. After Super Mario 64, though, I just lost track of what was coming out. I got Super Mario 64 relatively late and soon after the sixth generation of consoles came out we had to choose between the Gamecube and the X-box. Not surprisingly, our parents got us the X-box. So no Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario Galaxy. Then my youngest sister gor a gamecube after I "bought" the X-box from her. So there was my cut-off. An eye-for-an-eye sort of deal but - as you say - it wasn't completely bad.

vampireshark wrote:I've also gone through the New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, which is quite fun (but hard if you're trying for 100% completion), Yoshi's Island DS (shorter than the first one, but more than a bit harder to get the 100% score on each level), and most of Super Mario 3D Land, which is also good... and pretty hard, as well, to get perfect completion on.
I haven't played either of those yet and have only found out about New Super Mario Bros. wii recently. For some reason it didn't look that good on Youtube.

I was playing SMB2 and SMB3 at the same time but now it is just SMB3. I was playing all four NES mario games for a while but SMB1 and SMB: Lost Levels have been completed. I can't play SMW because I don't have the SNES and I am sort of nervous about how much disk space the emulator version will take up on my portable flash drive(?). But I beat SMW dozens of times in my earlier years so no big loss there.

hedgehog
So that's what he does in his free time :P

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Mashmakhan: No thanks, I'm going to keep trying and beat this darn game myself. I've gamed over one more time in the darn castle without even reaching wart. I've beaten the game before, but it was a looong time ago, back when I was acutally playing it on the NES.

I think i've played through most of the game before, but I don't remember. I think I've beaten every level at some point (not nessicerly in the same game) except maybe 6, but I'm fairly certin I've at least seen most of even that world.

I'm much like Arino (from game center CX, which is an awesome show) when it comes to playing video games. Not terribly good at them. :P

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Afterwind, this afternoon. I've always loved Risk, but never got a chance to buy it, and nobody wants to play it; so I can finally play something similar. At the moment, I'm waiting for the enemy armies to reach my capital at Pretoria to finish me off, after unsuccessfully attacking Gabon for the last time. :o
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Finally beat Super Mario 2. :)

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim.

It's like Fable but bigger and more epic but not as funny and the magic is not as good and half the time I don't know what I'm meant to be doing.

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Does anybody play any Total War games around here?

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I've played them extensively, but I haven't for a while now.

are there any new ones?

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Gulliver wrote:Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim.

It's like Fable but bigger and more epic but not as funny and the magic is not as good and half the time I don't know what I'm meant to be doing.
The magic is really cool is Skyrim, but I don't know about Fable. I haven't played Skyrim properly in a few days now; I'm gonna go join the empire in a few minutes.
Lyra wrote:Does anybody play any Total War games around here?

~Lyra
I considered them. Are they good? Has anyone here played Wargame: European Escalation? Which one is better: R.U.S.E., Wargame or Total War?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

they're different games: RUSE is pretty awesome, but it's more a boardgame that a cinematic experience. It's quite challenging online, tho. Wargame, no idea. and Total War is slower, loads slower... What I really like in the Total War series is the mod Europa Barbarorum; I find it exceedingly more challenging and immersive, being much more realistic and all. In EB cavalry charges are absolutely devastating, for example, but static cavalry will go down much easier, and skirmishers are actually useful. On that line, I recommend Men of War, it's like TW but on the tactical level

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Torco wrote:I've played them extensively, but I haven't for a while now.

are there any new ones?
Shogun 2 is the latest, but the best ones were Rome Total War And Medieval 2 Total War as you can mod them extensively.
I;m still awaiting for the release of Europa Barbarorum 2, a must-play if you like Ancient History.

@Mr. Z: If you like more accurate battles than usual RTS, the TW series offers you that.

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

Mashmakhan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mashmakhan »

Foolster41 wrote:Finally beat Super Mario 2. :)
Congrats. Bet it took you a while to get past all of those spiny ball things, tho. The part where you need to jump up all of those platforms. What was your contributor count?

Anybody here play the Halo games? I completed the first game and then started Halo 2 a long time ago but haven't touched it since. My X-box is starting to die on me though...not sure if it would be worth all of the error messages I get now.

Also trying to beat the original Legend Of Zelda but the eighth dungeon is giving me a run for my money. Literally.

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

Lyra wrote:Does anybody play any Total War games around here?

~Lyra
I've played all of the Total War games except for Empire - I think I played both Medievals the most (since my uncle had them and I stole his CDs... and Rome, I guess). Lately I've been trying my hand at Shogun 2, which I personally think is better at keeping me invested in the game than the previous games. I'm really hoping to get Fall of the Samurai once a good sale pops up, so I can show the world how @#$%ing overrated katanas and samurai are.
Mr. Z wrote: The magic is really cool is Skyrim, but I don't know about Fable. I haven't played Skyrim properly in a few days now; I'm gonna go join the empire in a few minutes.
A fellow Empire-lover! Damn those silly Stormcloaks!

Actually I just finished the Skyrim main questline, after having to figure several solutions for some annoying bugs (were Oblivion and Morrowind ever this glitchy half a year after their release, or when they came out, for that matter?), and it was utterly anticlimatic. I mean, at least Oblivion's main quest, while not the most original or interesting, ended with an epic awesome super battle. Without spoiling it for anyone, I probably could've punched Alduin out in my underwear in half a minute even on hardest difficulty.

That said I'll probably wrap up the Civil War questline soon and then try the Elsweyr mod.

The next Elder Scrolls better be Elsweyr. Or at least Hammerfell. I want some good desert-y conworlding to inspire my delusional Orientalism.
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

I know this is complete provincialism, but American accents are a sure-fire way to ruin a medieval fantasy game for me. I like all the fake Norse accents, but when Barbus (the talking dog who you have to follow for miles and then the game crashed when loading the bloody shrine) shows up with a strong New York (Noo Joisey?) accent it just came across as stupid and jarring. It's like having a cockney cowboy or an Autralian ninja. I know it's a talking dog and I know it's fantasy, but please.

I went for the Empire as well, but not by any real choice; the game told me to follow someone so I followed the nearest person and ended up joining the Empire. Ulfric Stormcloak seemed rude when I met him later, and manners are important, so I am happy with my decision.

This is one of the very few non-comedy RPGs I've ever played for more than half an hour. Fallout 1 & 2 (especially 2) were pretty funny, and Fable 2 & 3 are pretty explicitly comedy RPGs (odd mixture of fart jokes, murderous transvestites and some of the most nightmare-inducing parts of any game I have ever played. Oh, and you can run round dressed as a chicken murdering prostitutes then completely repent for your sins by eating vast quantities of tofu). VtM:Bloodlines dances with being outright comedy at times and contains lots of really silly side-quests (that make up for the main quest becoming a dungeon grind halfway though the game).

Skyrim takes itself very seriously by comparison... which is something I admit I'm having to adjust to.
Last edited by Gulliver on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Bought Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie the other day. It's fun, but it has the same issues most DQ games have: some level grinding is required, for one, and that can be a bit tedious.

(Also have been working on my own RPG. That's going slowly.)
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Mashmakhan wrote:
Foolster41 wrote:Finally beat Super Mario 2. :)
Congrats. Bet it took you a while to get past all of those spiny ball things, tho. The part where you need to jump up all of those platforms. What was your contributor count?
What really got me mostly was the very ending part with the conveyor belt. I had a bit of trouble with the birdo with the key for some reason (probably because weakened by the electric spike guys). Also darn wart took a LOT of tries to kill.

I think it was:
Mario 0
Luigi 2
Toad 0
Princess (All the rest) :P

Edit:
vampireshark wrote:Bought Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie the other day. It's fun, but it has the same issues most DQ games have: some level grinding is required, for one, and that can be a bit tedious.

(Also have been working on my own RPG. That's going slowly.)
Cool! I'm working on a RPG too (a C-RPG) with a modern martial arts theme.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Gulliver wrote:Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim.
Me too.

It manages to be both one of the best and one of the buggiest games ever.

I think I like the Empire, but I might pick the rebels first only so that I can play the game again and do the Empire thing. Unless it's possible to do both, but I suspect not.

I'm playing as an elf, so it's a pity that I can't join the elf side of the conflict. Also sort of annoying that the elves in this game look more like some kind of nasty swamp monsters. Actually, for a game with such good graphics, it's surprising how ugly everyone is. There are a pile of people you can marry, but since most people are ugly and have no personality, it's not that much fun.
Gulliver wrote:but American accents are a sure-fire way to ruin a medieval fantasy game for me
Oh yes. Then again I have a total crush on British English in general.

I also like the Nord accents - as far as I can tell, there are some central Swedish and some German ones, at least.

Personally I prefer my fantasy cultures to not be based on real-life ones, but this is certainly one way of adding distinct flavours without putting an insane amount of work into details like dialects and architecture.

I've played "Rome: Total War", but I found it kind of slow and tedious.
vampireshark wrote:Also have been working on my own RPG. That's going slowly.
I'm sort of doing that too. Maybe not a whole game, I've mostly been playing around with rulesets.
What sort of game are you making?

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

MW3 is preloaded for the free weekend, so I'll probibly play at least a little this weekend. I like FPSs, but some reason I don't really like the modern shooters much. (I play games like TF2, Left4Dead, Left4Dead2 and Deus Ex (The first one, I havn't gotten a chance to play Human Revolution Yet) )