What are you playing?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Foolster41 »

I've been playing some of "Pac man 2: The new adventures" because I saw it mentioned in a video on youtube (top 10 games to play when depressed). No, I wasn't depressed, but it looked interesting. It is kind of humorous at first, but gets old pretty fast. :P

I've been playing Chrono Trigger again, because I figure if I'm going to make a game that's partially a tribute to classic J-RPGs like Chrono Trigger I should play it. For "research" :)

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Play Super Mario RPG. It's the best JRPG. :)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

My favourite is Super Mario World. It's like they were finally realising that they were designing a console game, not an arcade game. (I don't know, maybe there's an arcade machine version too, but that's hardly the main title.) For example, you can go back and play a level again. But they still have some old artifacts - limited lives, score, etc. Still, SMB3 is a true classic, and there are some parts of it that no later Mario game has matched. There's a new one - Super Mario Wii, I guess? - that I also think is really good, but I haven't played it more than a couple of times.

Super Mario RPG is quite fun too, altho it's obviously not comparable to the platform games. From what I've heard, it came out just as the N64 was being launched, so it didn't get much of a reception.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

That's very true. It wasn't very long before the N64 came out.

But I still fell in love with it. I think the only game I had for a while was Super Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64, so my SNES still got a ton of playtime.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I've been playing Chrono Trigger again, because I figure if I'm going to make a game that's partially a tribute to classic J-RPGs like Chrono Trigger I should play it. For "research"
MEJOR JUEGO EVER
Chronno trigger, man, what a game. Modern devs should really study it, especially in the department of ending design.
YES, I'M LOOKING AT YOU, BIOWARE, I'M LOOKING AT YOUUU

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Chuma wrote:My favourite is Super Mario World. It's like they were finally realising that they were designing a console game, not an arcade game. (I don't know, maybe there's an arcade machine version too, but that's hardly the main title.) For example, you can go back and play a level again. But they still have some old artifacts - limited lives, score, etc. Still, SMB3 is a true classic, and there are some parts of it that no later Mario game has matched. There's a new one - Super Mario Wii, I guess? - that I also think is really good, but I haven't played it more than a couple of times.

Super Mario RPG is quite fun too, altho it's obviously not comparable to the platform games. From what I've heard, it came out just as the N64 was being launched, so it didn't get much of a reception.
Yeah, there's the New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which I haven't gotten a chance to play... but, from watching my brother play it, it seems to take the difficulty level up to eleven. Still, though, my favorite platforming Mario game is Yoshi's Island: awesome music, beautiful graphics, and fiendish difficulty. (Seriously, the first "bonus level" is a real bitch.) It probably also is my overall favorite. Yoshi's Island DS is also pretty good, but with less awesome music and an even steeper difficulty, especially if you're trying for a perfect on every level. The final level, for example, features a three-part final boss with no healing.

And I did think Super Mario RPG was, indeed, awesome, but the new RPG games are very good in their own rights as well... and full of all sorts of humor and interesting mechanics. I liked Mario and Luigi 1 a lot, 2 a little less, and 3 a lot as well... the music in 3, especially, is awesome. Paper Mario games are also so much fun... not Super Paper Mario as much, but Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is brilliant.

I should play Chrono Trigger. If I can get the game from my brother. Which seems unlikely.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Mostly Counter Strike 1.6, at the moment.. lot's of LAN games at class.

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

The Paper Mario series is for many reasons the best series of Mario games.

I can even forgive the third, which added some pretty cool aspects to the game, like the 2D-3D switching.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Torco wrote:MEJOR JUEGO EVER
Chronno trigger, man, what a game.
Indeed-- it was quite amazing what they did with just a few dozen megabits of ROM. The gameplay compares very well with most games since; the modern era has sadly focused on appearance at the expense of all else. With Minecraft and similar indie games, though, we're starting to see a backlash...

And on topic:
Now: Avadon from the most recent Humble Bundle; Realm of the Mad God
Later this year: Banner Saga -- I need to find an idea for my viking crest...
Next year: Wasteland 2

All on Linux!

Edit: Oh, and go on OGS. Nobody specified videogames only!

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Bob Johnson wrote:the modern era has sadly focused on appearance at the expense of all else. With Minecraft and similar indie games, though, we're starting to see a backlash...
True; it's nice to see inventive game concepts and not just graphics updates. But it's also kind of sad that there is a trend towards simpler games, replacing things like Myst and Civilization with Farmville and Angry Birds.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Chuma wrote:
Bob Johnson wrote:the modern era has sadly focused on appearance at the expense of all else. With Minecraft and similar indie games, though, we're starting to see a backlash...
True; it's nice to see inventive game concepts and not just graphics updates. But it's also kind of sad that there is a trend towards simpler games, replacing things like Myst and Civilization with Farmville and Angry Birds.
this is the same bullshit of percentages that led to The Better Angels of Our Nature. Civilization came out in 1991. You got a computer in 1991 if:
a) you or your parents were compscis, or mathematicians or physicists or something like that
b) you or your parents were rich and i) thought there was a lot of money to be made in this computer thing or ii) made the argument that it would be EDUCATIONAL! or
c) you or your parents were generally massive dorks but not dirt poor.
...and even then in 1991, it could well have been a C64 or a ZX Spectrum or something [it certainly was in our house].

That is, NOBODY was playing computer games in 1991. Now, EVERYBODY is -- even your mother who works in an office . I do not have the figures, but given this I would be surprised if Firaxis sold fewer units of Civ 5 than Microprose sold of Civ 1. I would be *very surprised* if Firaxis sold fewer units of Civ 4 [+ expansions].
I do not know what the comparison for Myst would be because what *was* Myst that you'd recognise a modern version of it? The market for interactive slideshows with teeny tiny videos has disappeared. In any case, the RPG and puzzle-game genres have not been dry since.

NE: plus if we are saying that all those fucking computers are the SAME man, which we are implictly doing if we are grouping Civ 1 together with mobile phone games like Angry Birds, then we'd do well to look at what the *real* best-selling game of 1991 was: Sonic the Hedgehog.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Pthug wrote:That is, NOBODY was playing computer games in 1991.
Excuse me, sir, I was playing such amazing games as Robot Odyssey and Marble Madness in 88 or so under DOS 2.11 on a Tandy 1000 EX micro at home, and Wasteland 1 on a friend's Apple ][ a few years later .. and judging by the Wasteland 2 forums, I'm hardly the only one either

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

well was it a) b) or c) which applied to you?

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

"wave of the future" sort of thing so b.i I guess... and not that rich, the whole thing cost less than $1000 by the time we bought it. No HD cut down the price a bit

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Now I'm playing Skyrim and Battlefield Bad Company 2. Skyrim is really awesome; I didn't like Oblivion too much, but Skyrim is much better. And Battlefield seems nice (haven't got the chance to play it yet - I'm running it now), and now I'll be able to play it with my friends. :-D
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

In 1991? I hardly know anyone who didn't have a computer in 1991.

Even my granddad had a computer by the mid-eighties. He had the original DOS versions of Pacman (from 1983), Tetris, Space Invaders, and a remarkably advanced golf game known as Golf. On a machine with no hard drive.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

then the same question to the fellow with the small fox avatar

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

My dad works in the food industry. My granddad was a mechanic. I'm a computer scientist and physicist, but that hardly matters, as I was seven at the time. The only one I can think of who fits your description is my other granddad - he's was a chemist and a CEO - but he's also the only one I can think of who didn't have a computer, and still doesn't.

Where are you from anyway, that people didn't have computers in 1991?

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Chuma wrote:Where are you from anyway, that people didn't have computers in 1991?
I fall into c). And it was a ZX Spectrum which, I presume, my father had bought before I was born. The Internet informs me that the ZX Spectrum+ came out in 1984 at £179.95 which measuringworth.com informs me is equivalent to £451 [by RPI] or £656 [by earnings]. And you got pretty much what you would expect from 500 pounds' worth of early 80s consumer-grade computational substrate. We only got an actual PC in 1995.

Also I am from the place where you can tell nobody had computers in 1991 because nobody was selling [non-console] video games at anywhere near the scale they did years later.

NE: and look: barely anyone was playing them in 1995 either!

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Oh, my god, the poor videogame industry. I feel so guilty for torrenting games now!

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

"only" 3bn in rev, yup definitely nobody was buying anything

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Bob Johnson wrote:"only" 3bn in rev, yup definitely nobody was buying anything
Most of that is Nintendo and Sega. I already mentioned that the real bestseller released in 1991 was Sonic the Hedgehog, which is a fun game but really is more like Angry Birds than Civilization. [Remember the original point? I'm still making it!]

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Pthug wrote:
Bob Johnson wrote:"only" 3bn in rev, yup definitely nobody was buying anything
Most of that is Nintendo and Sega. I already mentioned that the real bestseller released in 1991 was Sonic the Hedgehog, which is a fun game but really is more like Angry Birds than Civilization. [Remember the original point? I'm still making it!]
wait there was a point?

also: Sony is losing tons of money now, therefore nobody plays videogames now

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Bob Johnson wrote:wait there was a point?
Yes. Look back above to my original post and for "nobody" understand it non-autistically as "not very many people".
Bob Johnson wrote:[also: Sony is losing tons of money now, therefore nobody plays videogames now
What does this have to do with anything? When did I make an argument like that?