What are you playing?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: What are you playing?

Post by dhok »

I'm on my longest-lived fort ever; it's in its sixth year I think. This was doable by capping the population at 20 and doing a 2 by 2 embark; due to babies I now have a population of 30, my FPS is still at a hundred, and it doesn't look like disaster will strike anytime soon; the last time anything dangerous looked like it was going to occur was when my mason had a strange mood and we had to go digging for raw gems. At first it looked like we'd grow really slowly due to only having one married couple, but now we have three or four.

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

dhokarena56 wrote:I'm on my longest-lived fort ever; it's in its sixth year I think. This was doable by capping the population at 20 and doing a 2 by 2 embark; due to babies I now have a population of 30, my FPS is still at a hundred, and it doesn't look like disaster will strike anytime soon; the last time anything dangerous looked like it was going to occur was when my mason had a strange mood and we had to go digging for raw gems. At first it looked like we'd grow really slowly due to only having one married couple, but now we have three or four.
Lucky bastard :(
I have a population of ~110, have played for 14 (in game) years, and I'm currently three years under siege by humans AND elves combined. I've walled myself off and started growing trees in my basement.
A butcherdwarf recently got into a funny mood that got him to murder my kingdwarf (oh yeah!), but he also went on a tantrum as they buried the king and he couldn't make something out of his flesh (meatpies, my guess), and killed ~30 (oh my god how did his martial skill get so high? He's the best hand-to-hand in the fort), and he threw himself into the lava river, finally.
The situation is terrible because everyone was married to everyone else, and everyone is everyone's child. Not to mention that the butcherdwarf's parents are both soldiers...

Tantrum whirlpool imminent, all while under siege.
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

What's your FPS?

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

dhokarena56 wrote:What's your FPS?
30 FPS on average, but when I strike a new ore, I get a magnificent 5-10. Hopefully Fraps doesn't lie :)
Also, I reckon my FPS with 180 dwarves had a value of, say, 10-15 FPS? Something of that amount. Amazingly high :-D
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I was playing a little bit of Final Fantasy Tactics A2 tonight. Haven't played it for a while.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Playing Quake on nightmare (can almost win! Can kill all the monsters, but for some reaosn having trouble with the timing of the Teleporter in the last level!). Also playing Deus ex again (I love that game).
Not a video game, but I've also been trying to get a game together of Heroclix (a strategy board game based on DC, Marvel and some indy super hero characters. "chess with super powers", very easy to learn and fun.) in play-by-post, and even trying to combine Heroclix wih the game of risk into a marvel universe global war. (Shameless plug in case anyone here is interested. :P)

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

I usually lose interest in DF after a couple of years and start tunnelling down into... well, you know or you don't.

I'm currently mopping up the last Riddler trophies in Arkham City. Good game. Not as good as Arkham Asylum, but pretty good nonetheless. It lacks the... pace? rhythm? of Arkham Asylum (although AA ends in an ill-paced, not fun boss rush, it is generally a better story, in my opinion).

The Catwoman and her Magnificent Cleavage addon is well worth it as she's a bit more fun to play that Batman, in my opinion. Her story is a bit silly, but she's a fun change to Batman as she can't just fly over all the obstacles.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Wattmann wrote:
dhokarena56 wrote:What's your FPS?
30 FPS on average, but when I strike a new ore, I get a magnificent 5-10. Hopefully Fraps doesn't lie :)
Also, I reckon my FPS with 180 dwarves had a value of, say, 10-15 FPS? Something of that amount. Amazingly high :-D
I was never really a goal-based fort player, but I need to change this. This was originally because I played DF on my netbook, and got such horrid FPS that after about one and a half in-game years I had to give up. Now, on a 2x2 embark, with a pop cap of 20 and temperature and weather off, I can play for what appears to be an indefinite amount of time, especially if I atom smash a lot of my stone. And I have a pretty airtight defense system- cage traps, then a row of atom smashers, then more cage traps, then a drowning chamber, then stonefall traps, then more cagetraps. I think my next goal will be to get a fort running for a ten-year period.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Altitude. Fun and addictive. And a bit of Just Cause 2 every once in a while.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

I really need to get Caln Facorië Almea running on the current version of DF. It will happen eventually, trust me :P
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

the duke of nuke wrote:I really need to get Caln Facorië Almea running on the current version of DF. It will happen eventually, trust me :P

Don't do it now...the new release is about to come out; wait until the new release has had all its bugfixes and is stabilized.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

dhokarena56 wrote:
the duke of nuke wrote:I really need to get Caln Facorië Almea running on the current version of DF. It will happen eventually, trust me :P
Don't do it now...the new release is about to come out; wait until the new release has had all its bugfixes and is stabilized.
I don't have time to do it now!
Still, thanks. I'll start thinking about it for the new release.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I'm playing World of Goo now, which I got in a package deal with 4 other games for 10 dollars. (much of it went to charity)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Bristel wrote:I'm playing World of Goo now, which I got in a package deal with 4 other games for 10 dollars. (much of it went to charity)
I have World of Goo on my iPad, which may be superior to the computer version, but I haven't played it in ages. I think I remember it getting immensely difficult after about level 10 or so, which put me off it very much (I don't really like games with progressive 'learning' (or indeed 'thinking'...) curves).

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Cathbad wrote:
Bristel wrote:I'm playing World of Goo now, which I got in a package deal with 4 other games for 10 dollars. (much of it went to charity)
I have World of Goo on my iPad, which may be superior to the computer version, but I haven't played it in ages. I think I remember it getting immensely difficult after about level 10 or so, which put me off it very much (I don't really like games with progressive 'learning' (or indeed 'thinking'...) curves).
If I get frustrated, I'll just go back to playing Super Mario RPG or something.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Beat quake on nightmare. :D
Now i'm playing Age of Kings, though I dn't think it's very fun how the AI cheats (it just plays really weirdly), and I have a feeling if I can modify the game to not cheat it'll just be too easy. :P

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Foolster41 wrote:Beat quake on nightmare. :D
Now i'm playing Age of Kings, though I dn't think it's very fun how the AI cheats (it just plays really weirdly), and I have a feeling if I can modify the game to not cheat it'll just be too easy. :P
As long as you don't play on the hardest setting, the AI doesn't cheat.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

It does in Civ III though! Sort of.

Anyone else here play Civ III?

Jadyndar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Jadyndar »

dhokarena56 wrote:It does in Civ III though! Sort of.

Anyone else here play Civ III?
I used to, before I got Civ IV.

I used to be more of a gamer, but then I took a university to the schedule. Now the only game I play is SimCity 4 (and I just recently picked it back up after a six-month burnout), and based on the reactions I get in my city journal, I'm damn good at it. :mrgreen:
TomHChappell wrote:
Putrid wrote:There is no ɔ but o̞.
And œ is its prophet?

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Jádyndár wrote:I used to be more of a gamer, but then I took a university to the schedule. Now the only game I play is SimCity 4 (and I just recently picked it back up after a six-month burnout), and based on the reactions I get in my city journal, I'm damn good at it. :mrgreen:
Looks like it's time for another mega reply...

I used to play SC4, but then I discovered Harry Potter fanfiction, and from that, anime and manga. Now I only play occasionally. Oddly, university did not cause notable problems with time... Most often I just play Minecraft now... and I recently I discovered a mod that lets you generate terrain from earlier versions... so my current world is now generated with the same terrain as that from Coe's Quest. (the original alpha version terrain, that is) I had a better time at subduing the skeleton dungeon, (no deaths!) though now I have to work out how to turn it into a spawner trap... without running into the same problems Coe did when he tried it.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I love Coe's Quest.

When he got trapped in the middle of the ocean and the portal spawned high above the water, I thought he'd be stuck there forever, but he's extremely good at finding his way around. Whereas I'd be stuck in the middle of that ocean, or I would have never made it through the Nether with as much success as he did.

I miss the old days of him finding new places to be, then connecting them by rail.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

I started Morrowind two days ago, and it was the most glorious thing I had ever done, even more so than Oblivion (I'm 1/3 way through the Shivering Isles right now). It's got to be one of awesomest things ever in terms of conworlding immersion. Bestest conworld lesson ever. I can't beleive I missed out on this.

Anyhow once I get that new graphics card I'll finally be able to play Skyrim on low graphics settings. I dunno how I'll juggle all three of the Elder Scrolls, though, not to mention my conworlding and other work, but who cares. It's all for conworlding!
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

I got a DF mod today!
It's so much more fun than regular DF since now, my forts die 29/30 times and the one time it survives, it's due to magma cannons and rows of atom smashers.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I’m sure we're on Civ V now.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

DF updated, so, yeah.

Also http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/ is strangely addictive.

These combined pose a problem. #firstworldproblems