zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:38 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

To use your own example, Sal, neither [pink rose] nor [rose colour] are commonly-used set phrases/euphemisms with specific meanings. [sanitary product] is. (of course [product pilot] is also a reasonably set phrase, but not nearly as common as [sanitary product] in everyday life, unless you work in sales or marketing)

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:29 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

For whatever it's worth, I wasn't sure whether "sanitary product" could also mean napkins or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:03 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Vijay wrote:
For whatever it's worth, I wasn't sure whether "sanitary product" could also mean napkins or something.
I dont think you'd be widely understood if you used that. But euphemisms go in and out of style .... i once saw napkin in an old children's book as a euphemism for diaper, and Im pretty sure it was once more widespread, since that's where nappy comes from. Sanitary napkin can also mean menstrual pad (heard it once in a video game walkthrough for Binding of Isaac). But I dont think even in Britain that people would just say napkin and expect the listener to think of diapers unless the context was clear. Perhaps it may be used when "nappy" would sound too casual.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:35 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Apparently, South Africans do think of diapers when they hear napkin. I don't know about Britons.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:58 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

For me, nappy is the only word for them. I would never think of nappies when hearing napkin, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:20 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I know the euphemism, but sanitary product for me is usually a toilet cleaner or a spray.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:23 am 
Smeric
Smeric

So I did have a plausible reason to think "sanitary product" might be ambiguous! Thanks, mèþru! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:29 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Sorry, Vijay, but my usage of English is bizarre enough that I probably don't count. :-D

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:37 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Massachusetts won't deploy National Guard to border over 'cruel' treatment of children

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43