The 2011 ZBB Awards: Discussion and Nominations

Discussions worth keeping around later.
vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The 2011 ZBB Awards: Discussion and Nominations

Post by vampireshark »

Unlike last year, I haven't been as productive. Most of what I've been working on and doing has been improvements of already existing stuff. For example, more passports, more money and improvements of existing money... only one or two new languages, though.

Incidentally, most of the my recent stuff can be seen on my deviantART page.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

That deviantART link led me to another strong candidate for Best Conworld Element, Graphical or Physical: Maainm map by Nae.

(Sorry, vampireshark...)

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Hey, no worries, cedh. Plus, since I won it last year, somebody else should get some attention... and Nae's map is, indeed, most awesome.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Indeed it is!

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

No one else has anything they want to pimp? I don't feel like I have enough options to choose from this year >:|

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

For anybody interested, clicking here will show you the list of this year's newcomers. (It's a search for all users who joined on Jan. 1st, 2011 or later, ordered by a decreasing number of posts.)

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

Whimemsz wrote:No one else has anything they want to pimp? I don't feel like I have enough options to choose from this year >:|
I haven't done enough yet on my latest stuff. Maybe next year?

Besides, you don't want to encourage more competition... Reĥta is easily winning at the moment! ;)
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Serafín wrote:For anybody interested, clicking here will show you the list of this year's newcomers. (It's a search for all users who joined on Jan. 1st, 2011 or later, ordered by a decreasing number of posts.)
Weird. The URL is right, but it doesn't trigger a search. Omit this post then, but such a search can be done from the "Find a member" function.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

I ought to have posted this earlier, but my major new work completed this year is A History of the Viksen Language (PDF), which I mentioned earlier. It's a diachronic work as you can tell, although there's nothing particularly special about the sound changes and I think the area where it possibly stands out the most in relation to other conlangs is the pretty detailed diachronic morphosyntax (p. 22 onwards). It's not entirely finished yet - ideally I'd have liked to have a lot more examples of the changing language other than those given in the introduction - but as I don't know when, if ever, that's likely to happen I might as well post it now.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Only 24-ish hours left vote, folks!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Everyone should vote for Ollock under the special award for starting the Conlangery podcast. He'd need 10 votes to get it under Radius's rules. So use your 24 hours wisely. :D

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

finlay wrote:Everyone should vote for Ollock under the special award for starting the Conlangery podcast. He'd need 10 votes to get it under Radius's rules. So use your 24 hours wisely. :D
Done :)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

I would like to suggest that people vote for someone other than HandsomeRob for best maps/graphical whatever. Not because I think they're bad or that he's undeserving, because obviously neither of those is the case. But he's already won the award like four times (at least), so it'd be nice to give it to someone else for a change.

[Just to make it clear, again: this is not meant as any sort of insult against Rob, who is cool and whose maps do of course rock]

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

If I could split my vote, I'd also vote for Nae.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Whimemsz wrote:But he's already won the award like four times (at least), so it'd be nice to give it to someone else for a change.
Sorry, but that's a lame reason to (not) vote for someone. Good work deserves recognition, sure, but I know I wouldn't want a fuckin' pity vote [not that anyone would ever think of giving me one].

If someone thinks HR deserves their vote, that's their business anyway...what do you hope to achieve by telling people whom they should (not) vote for? Fairness? Pah.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

sano wrote:If someone thinks HR deserves their vote, that's their business anyway...what do you hope to achieve by telling people whom they should (not) vote for? Fairness? Pah.
I never told anybody who they should vote for, I gave a reason why some people might consider not voting for HR. It's entirely up to you whether or not you think it's a good enough reason to listen.

(Also, I'm not trying to encourage "pity votes." My point was more, "if there's someone else who also did really good graphical work but hasn't won before, you should consider voting for them instead of HR". I agree it would be stupid to award votes to someone who you didn't actually think deserved it just because someone else had won a lot in the past.)

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Under the long-standing rule against winning twice for the same thing, HandsomeRob is not eligible to win further awards for the same work (or body of work). But if HR has produced any new maps this year, they are be eligible. If anyone wants him to win they should link me to any new maps of his, and/or vote for a specific named map that I can look up. Because it appears he has slipped past the rule once or twice already, I need evidence that there's something recent, and i don't know where his stuff is. Thanks.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Radius Solis wrote:Under the long-standing rule against winning twice for the same thing, HandsomeRob is not eligible to win further awards for the same work (or body of work). But if HR has produced any new maps this year, they are be eligible. If anyone wants him to win they should link me to any new maps of his, and/or vote for a specific named map that I can look up. Because it appears he has slipped past the rule once or twice already, I need evidence that there's something recent, and i don't know where his stuff is. Thanks.
See this thread

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Thanks.

Enough people have made that particular map their explicit vote that it's clearly eligible.