The heuristically relevant data points thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Torco
Smeric
Smeric

The heuristically relevant data points thread

Post by Torco »

Sooo, yeah, here we can accrue interesting information about stuff that is really useful for rational decisionmaking. For example, for those of us who like man-to-woman sex [anyone? anyone?] know how horrible a pregnancy scare is. Oh my god, honey, I think I might be pregnant; you hear those words and you go
AAWWW CRAAAP
But, fear no more, my penis-in-vagina loving friends, according to my calculations
based on this [I'm assuming a 2% chance on nonfertile days on account of nonfertile days being reportedly not so nonfertile, and neighbouring chances are on that order. ]

a fuck in a random day has only a 6% chance of impregnating... however, a fuck in the right day has around a 35% chance of pregnancy. this is in a flat surface without drag, mind you, but still.

sooo... yeah, women be fertile, yo!
I feel lucky now, having had 6 pregnancy scares. 6% is fucking SCARY!

so post your neat tidbits of data.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The heuristically relevant data points thread

Post by Kereb »

i have had two pregnancy scares, is that a tidbit of data
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Kereb wrote:i have had two pregnancy scares, is that a tidbit of data
it is a datapoint, just not a very heuristically relevant one xD

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

I have in recent days got together with one new woman every week for three months now.
Say, in those 90 days, I'vd had something close to ten different women, and, say, each one 1.75~1.5 times.
That means that I've had sex around seventeen times in the last three months (and I'm pretty sure I had more, but let's just say it's like that), and I've likely fathered something in between one and three kids in those three months.
I can't even name the women.
That's a random nugget of data, that, in five generations, my offspring would make up something around an eight of Lichtenstein's gene pool, or somesuch.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

This slight difficulty in women getting pregnant becomes more apparent when pregnancy becomes a goal rather than a scare.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

And that's why God invented condoms and the pill.

Also,
Elector Dark wrote: Say, in those 90 days, I'vd had something close to ten different women, and, say, each one 1.75~1.5 times.
That means that I've had sex around seventeen times in the last three months (and I'm pretty sure I had more, but let's just say it's like that), and I've likely fathered something in between one and three kids in those three months.
So you've had unprotected sex seventeen times in the last 3 months?

Random nugget of data: within the next five months, it'll probably start hurting when you piss.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Ars, one more random nugget of data: if it starts hurting me, it'll hurt plenty of others.
Misery loves company. I'm immune to the clap, syphonlis and HIVVY, just as well. I mean, all it takes to get rid of it is to go rape an albino virgin chick and shout something in Somali.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

dark, you give too little credit to the chicks; they probably used the afterpill or somesuch.
then again, they did agree to sleep with you, so there's that ;)

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Well, there's the off-chance they didn't XD
When an army of pregnant women comes knocking, I'll just claim I'm gay and show them the gay discussion forum I frequent *hint hint*
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Elector Dark wrote:Well, there's the off-chance they didn't XD
When an army of pregnant women comes knocking, I'll just claim I'm gay and show them the gay discussion forum I frequent *hint hint*
that's a bit bigoted; just because there's an above-average number of gay men up in here doesn't mean that this is a 'gay forum'.
are other forums, then, straight?

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Torco wrote:
that's a bit bigoted; just because there's an above-average number of gay men up in here doesn't mean that this is a 'gay forum'.
Oh, come on, there's a thread that's nothing but pictures of dudes.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Torco wrote:
Curvature is not a binary value.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Elector Dark wrote:I have in recent days got together with one new woman every week for three months now.
Say, in those 90 days, I'vd had something close to ten different women, and, say, each one 1.75~1.5 times.
That's a random nugget of data, that, in five generations, my offspring would make up something around an eight of Lichtenstein's gene pool, or somesuch.
Wait a minute, I thought you were all woe-is-me about your virginity, or am I a) mixing you up with Shrdlu or b) you've actually grown up and started getting lucky?

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Elector Dark wrote:
Torco wrote:
Curvature is not a binary value.
Neither is sexuality. Even if you did go "look at this gay forum I frequent" it could just mean you're bi even if it were a gay forum.
finlay wrote:
Elector Dark wrote:I have in recent days got together with one new woman every week for three months now.
Wait a minute, I thought you were all woe-is-me about your virginity, or am I a) mixing you up with Shrdlu or b) you've actually grown up and started getting lucky?
Certainly a). Possibly b).

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

finlay wrote:
I've grown up and stopped being one-girl-only.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

the 'my one true love is dead, and now my broken spirit seeks the solace of meaningless sex with strangers' old song, aye?

right on!
*air guitar*

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Torco wrote:the 'my one true love is dead, and now my broken spirit seeks the solace of meaningless sex with strangers' old song, aye?

right on!
*air guitar*
She's not dead (God no, I pray every morning that she die), she's a kleptomaniac and a narcissist.
But, yeah, that old song.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

no, she might not be dead, but the part of your soul that's capable of love is.
really, man, work that angle, chicks dig it. it works best with leather jackets, tho.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

XD it's summer up north here, Torco.
I'm not gonna be the Draco in Leather Pants, though.

I'll try to brood some more, might get some more tonight.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Were there any heuristically relevant data points on other topics, or is this thread going to be moved to Ephemera? :)

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

yeah, interest in this sort of thing seems to be low.
still, I have an analysis somewhere on just how dangerous it is to smoke cigarrettes; I mean you always hear those things'll kill you, but it is more dangerous than, say, smoking or drinking alcohol, or not brushing your teeth? I'll post that analysis here as well when I find the dead trees its on, so yea

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

finlay wrote:Wait a minute, I thought you were all woe-is-me about your virginity, or am I a) mixing you up with Shrdlu or b) you've actually grown up and started getting lucky?
I'm not virgin, actually, though I haven't had sex in almost a decade because everything hates me. Yeah, I stared early then failed completely on every point.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Aren't you like 20? Ew.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

22, actually. Yeah, early.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!