The 2011 ZBB Awards: Discussion and Nominations

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

The 2011 ZBB Awards: Discussion and Nominations

Post by Radius Solis »

This is the thread to show off your stuff, and for proposing works by others for consideration. Basically, a place to advertise your conlangs etc. if you want an award, and a place to express appreciation for someone else you think deserves one! Keep in mind that a good advertisement always includes a link, to make it convenient for other voters to check out what you want seen. There is no formal "nominations" process as part of the awards, we just loosely use that term every year for the showing-off thread.

All commentary and discussion of the 2011 ZBB Awards goes here please, so that we can keep a reasonably uncluttered voting thread (but I will answer rules questions in the thread they are asked in). On the flip side of that, do NOT cast actual votes in this thread or they will be ignored!

As a convenience to voters I will try to keep an updated list (below) of all links posted in this thread, in the order they occur. If I screw up any of them please bring it to my attention, thanks.

Guitarplayer: stuff he made this year and a song
Sano: Kala wiki
Cathbad: various conlangery
Legion: Carinthian
MisterBernie: Baranxe'i here and here
Mr.Z: organized Conlingual Telephone and made The "How do you pronounce X" Thread
Viktor77: Falgwian and Falgwia
Whimemsz: Reĥta
cybrxkhan: conlangs here and here and here and conworld Arteran here and here
Rik: Gevey and its native script and a translation, O Yis, a novel, and a facebook app
Jádyndár: Gomain and a map (large image)
vampireshark's deviantART page
Nae's Maainm map
Curlyjimsam's A History of the Viksen Language (PDF)

My apologies to vampireshark, Nae, and Curlyjimsam for not adding their links until today. I was so certain I'd already added everything from page 2 of this thread that I neglected to pay any attention to whether I actually had.

I've also gotten a couple votes for my Dimana Lokud so I might as well provide a link to it too.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The 2011 ZBB Awards: Discussion and Nominations

Post by Jipí »

Stuff I made this year. I'm especially proud of my Ozymandias translation, in a kind of verse (PDF w/ interlinear and stuff; recording). Other than that I translated and made a recording of this song, though I'm not q. sure if I should like its execution or not. Cev's been trying to talk me into a translation and recording of The Sound of Music but I've managed to refuse so far. Not much new on the grammar-producing or conworld paraphernalia front, otherwise.

--
EDIT: Due to problems with the plugin that generates the media archive pages, the URL I gave before and which Radius quoted above is borked.

--
EDIT: Link works again.
Last edited by Jipí on Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

http://kala.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page < How I've spent my year. Not much to brag about, but I'm happy with it and I'm still working on it.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

http://jonafras.conlang.org/?tag=grammar

Bits and pieces of stuff I did this year. No really coherent project completed - I'm planning to release the new Trurian grammar in February (the "updated" High Eolic grammar version doesn't really count because it was just an update of something that was virtually finished last year).

So I probably don't qualify for any awards, but it's still good to make people aware I'm not completely lazy. :P

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

http://thelegion.free.fr/carinthian.htm

This is work in progress I haven't touched in a while, but it's from this year. It's a romance language spoken in central Europe, with I think a particularly interesting phoneme inventory and orthography, plus a bunch of other cool features.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Cathbad wrote:So I probably don't qualify for any awards, but it's still good to make people aware I'm not completely lazy. :P
Same here.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Well then self-pimpingly let me say that Baranxe'i is spread over this topic and this part of my blog.

Also, I only joined this May :P
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

MisterBernie wrote:Well then self-pimpingly let me say that Baranxe'i is spread over this topic and this part of my blog.

Also, I only joined this May :P
What? Really?! I had no idea you joined later than me! And you have more posts! I can believe it!
Anyway, I'm a newcomer as well. I guess I haven't done too much... I organized a Conlingual Telephone earlier this year, which, although going through horrible delays, was kinda nice after all, and now the tradition of Conlingual Telephones continues. I also opened the "How Do You Pronounce X?" thread in L&L. And other than that, I participated in various thread and contributed my share of knowledge, mostly about Hebrew, since it's my L1.

I should also say I'm impressed by the amount of work MisterBernie has done, and the completeness and beauty of Baranxe'i, so I guess I should nominate it. And Guitarplayer's Ayeri is, perhaps, my favorite conlang in the ZBB, so if it can be considered, I'd like to nominate that as well. And Izambri's Hellesan. Now I realize that there are lots of good conlangs here :D
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Mr. Z wrote:And Guitarplayer's Ayeri is, perhaps, my favorite conlang in the ZBB, so if it can be considered, I'd like to nominate that as well.
Thanks for the praise, but it can't be 'cause it's 8 years old already (although I'm continually working on it). ZBB Awards typically only take into consideration stuff ZBBers have come up with over the course of the current year. Which is why I linked to stuff I made this year, using my conlang, but did not link to my conlang itself. Of course, this is for the reason of not nominating the same things every year.
Last edited by Jipí on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rik
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rik »

I've done nothing of note this year. This depresses me. I promise that next year I shall make more of an effort.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Guitarplayer wrote:Thanks for the praise, but it can't be 'cause it's 8 years old already (although I'm continually working on it). ZBB Awards typically only take into consideration stuff ZBBers have come up with over the course of the current year. Which is why I linked to stuff I made this year, using my conlang, but did not link to my conlang itself. Of course, this is for the reason of not nominating the same things every year.
Well, Baranxe'i is older too, but the rewrite and pretty blog is all this year's work :P
Plus my awesome awesome sugar fairy short is worthy of all the praise... being humble, what's that ;) ?
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Qwynegold wrote:Nicest or Most Helpful ZBBer: Astraios
Objection! Candidates should not be allowed to bribe voters by telling them how pretty they are!

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Bob Johnson wrote:
Objection! Candidates should not be allowed to bribe voters by telling them how pretty they are!
You're right, dammit! We don't stand a chance against Astraios now!
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Rik wrote:I've done nothing of note this year. This depresses me. I promise that next year I shall make more of an effort.
I've not done much this year, but next year I should have some extra-special goodies to make up for it.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

I should like to mention that this year I created what I am certain are the best sound changes I have ever done (this thread). Though, unfortunately, I haven't had time the last week or two to really expand on the effects of those changes on other areas of the grammar.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

...bah, i really wish phonology and diachronics weren't in the same category

also i have a terrible memory so which conlangs are from this year? (was sentalian this year or last?) i don't want to nominate a euroclone, but ehhhh
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Honestly, I don't think it really makes sense to specify the year in which a conlang was made, since they are long-term projects and a language that was completely made within the last year is likely to be less complete and less complex than a conlang that's been in the works for years. IMO, the year a conlang should be eligible is the year in which its first full descriptive grammar or other material that shows the language as it functions as a unified whole is published, since that seems to be the only decent way to evaluate a conlang. But then if a language wins once and then changes utterly over the years, should it be eligible again later when it's completely different? I'm inclined to think that's more of an individual choice than anything.

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

My conlangs this year included your bland typical Euro-Japonic blend, as well as Irish with triconsonantal roots and an ancient Egyptian rip-off, sort of. I also started a thread on my conworld Arteran, but it's a coworld that's been in the making for several years; there's also a wikifor it though I haven't posted a lot of stuff about it.

I also would like to nominate some of Ronin's stuff... although I don't remember where the old threads are.
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

There is no hard requirement that something have been produced or published this year. It's sorta a custom, and ideally we should focus more on new work than on old things we've all known about for a long time. But there has never been a hard rule about it and never should be, for the good reasons Risla mentions plus more besides. For example some people join the board having produced conlangs long prior but that we did not know about. We have previously awarded ZBB awards to people in that category (Ithkuil e.g.), and I don't see anything wrong with that. Another reason is if there's a really good conlang that lost out on an award the first year only because there was also something better or more well-known, there is no reason it shouldn't still have the chance to win an award next time or the time after.

I'll post this in the rules post too.

Rik
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rik »

Radius Solis wrote:There is no hard requirement that something have been produced or published this year. It's sorta a custom, and ideally we should focus more on new work than on old things we've all known about for a long time. But there has never been a hard rule about it and never should be, for the good reasons Risla mentions plus more besides. For example some people join the board having produced conlangs long prior but that we did not know about. We have previously awarded ZBB awards to people in that category (Ithkuil e.g.), and I don't see anything wrong with that. Another reason is if there's a really good conlang that lost out on an award the first year only because there was also something better or more well-known, there is no reason it shouldn't still have the chance to win an award next time or the time after.

I'll post this in the rules post too.
Oh, well. In that case, Gevey underwent a major overhaul in 2010 including a new romanisation and a new native script, and I also posted a long translation project to the website.

Also, O Yis was developed during 2010 and its website went up this time last year.

And I think a couple of people in these parts managed to read my first novel this summer. Whatever its flaws may be, the book is set entirely in my conworld - so plenty of conculture and conbiology - and even included a few phrases of Gevey here and there. I did the book trailer for it this year; the Vreski Wards app on Facebook and the website (that so failed to promote the book) was done in summer 2010.

Given my productivity in 2010, people might understand my disappointment with my efforts this year ...

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Mr. Z wrote:
Bob Johnson wrote:
You're right, dammit! We don't stand a chance against Astraios now!
ROFL I have never actually shown a picture of myself. This is based on a private message conversation we had. And he called me sweet, not pretty anyway.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Jadyndar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Jadyndar »

My conlang, Gomain, and conscript, the Pékrif, aren't 100% new this year, but my latest revision to the latter is. I've also added some things to Gomain and changed how other things work. I have samples of both the 'lang and 'script in this thread, which also contains links to more samples and the Gomain Reference Grammar. I also have a new map of the continent on which Gomain is spoken in the works, hopefully to be uploaded soon. For now, here's a draft: Huge JPG is huge. (Be glad it isn't the full-size PNG, though :P )
TomHChappell wrote:
Putrid wrote:There is no ɔ but o̞.
And œ is its prophet?

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Not suggesting you change it now, but the "best phonology or diachronics" seems a bit odd. I do suppose the two are connected: a lot of conlangers never seem to get round to detailing diachronics beyond sound changes, and phonology perhaps more than other areas benefits from a diachronic perspective. But even so, the two do not necessarily demonstrate a strong connection - my (as yet unpublished, though that may change shortly) "History of the Viksen Language" focuses very much on syntax with no more diachronic phonology than a very basic list of sound changes, and I'm sure there are wonderful phonologies out there that are completely synchronic in both conception and presentation.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Aww, I didn't even see this until just now. <3 :D

And I swear on the life of my goldfish that I wasn't calling Qwynegold sweet (or anyone pretty) as a bribe. xD