The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by Astraios »

Well I mean it was obvious it was a joke, but I wasn't to know it was a haha joke and not a ooh look I'm making an unfriendly comment joke. Because you are known for making unfriendly comments about Israel. (And I'm not Israeli anyway...)

Pressed Bunson
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pressed Bunson »

Bad news is that I got rubbing alcohol on my tongue, which tasted horrible and scared the crap outta me.

Good news is that I didn't swallow any.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I'm GRADUATING. People keep saying that I must be so excited, but I'm really not. I'll be glad to finally have a degree, but I'll be cut off from basically everyone I know, I won't have any source of academic feedback anymore (and positive academic feedback is one of the few things that is capable of making me not hate myself), I'll be incredibly socially isolated. I'm just finally---FINALLY---starting to make friends for the first time in college (last time doesn't count because they ended up treating me like shit), and now I won't get to see them anymore unless I somehow find ways to make it into Minneapolis all the time. And I won't be surrounded by linguists anymore; the awe of "oh my god I'm talking to a real linguist" has never gone away for me, and I'll be very sad to lose that. So I feel compelled to be happy because that's what everyone expects of me, but really I'm pretty upset about the whole thing.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Congratulations! I'm sorry you have to radically readjust your entire life now!
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

what will you do now
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Pressed Bunson wrote:Bad news is that I got rubbing alcohol on my tongue, which tasted horrible and scared the crap outta me.

Good news is that I didn't swallow any.
I had the same experience once. Since then I've been using 98% pure medical alcohol to brew shit.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Been in bed with bad back for two days. Had nasty moments of pain. Had a lot of rest and read half a book.
It was about time I changed this.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Risla wrote:I'm GRADUATING. People keep saying that I must be so excited, but I'm really not. I'll be glad to finally have a degree, but I'll be cut off from basically everyone I know, I won't have any source of academic feedback anymore (and positive academic feedback is one of the few things that is capable of making me not hate myself), I'll be incredibly socially isolated. I'm just finally---FINALLY---starting to make friends for the first time in college (last time doesn't count because they ended up treating me like shit), and now I won't get to see them anymore unless I somehow find ways to make it into Minneapolis all the time. And I won't be surrounded by linguists anymore; the awe of "oh my god I'm talking to a real linguist" has never gone away for me, and I'll be very sad to lose that. So I feel compelled to be happy because that's what everyone expects of me, but really I'm pretty upset about the whole thing.
This is why postgraduate study was devised. Congrats, though.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

I go home for vacation tomorrow. This is a good thing.

I have a 9½-hour drive ahead of me. This is less good.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

I found the end of Antichamber!

I have red splotches on my eyeballs. I'm hoping my eyes are just dry and I don't have pinkeye.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Could be burst cappilaries too, from lack of sleep. I should note that this isn't something to worry about very much.
Image Image

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Nessari wrote:Could be burst cappilaries too, from lack of sleep. I should note that this isn't something to worry about very much.
Sadly, no. I saw a doctor and it's conjunctivitis.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

Herr Dunkel wrote:Since then I've been using 98% pure medical alcohol to brew shit.
explain pls
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Kereb wrote:
Herr Dunkel wrote:Since then I've been using 98% pure medical alcohol to brew shit.
explain pls
He is a fifteen year old and a liar.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Kereb wrote:
explain pls
You get bored and have a stupid idea. You take 98% pure alcohol and mix it with grapefruit juice. You drink that shit. You don't remember what happened afterwards. You don't do it again.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

So…

Just over two weeks ago I was hired by this truck dispatching company. Not really my career field, but it seemed like a slam dunk situation…night shift [so I could still have time with my family], guaranteed overtime [helpful with bills, you know] and nothing more difficult than learning a new database.

During my initial interview I was curious why the dispatch supervisor was outright cursing and even said “I’m gonna try and talk you outta takin’ this job.” but it was almost exciting and I often misread these types of situations as a chance to prove myself in new surroundings when I should just grab my bag and go.

Well, this morning I received a phone call explaining that they no longer wanted me there. Now, in a thousand other environments I would have taken this as a personal slight and gotten upset…but, in this case I am elated. On my second night of work the shift supervisor threw a toy barrel at my head for what I assume he thought was a sarcastic remark but was actually a simple question. Two nights later, I – along with everyone else in the building – endured an infantile tirade by the same shift supervisor that included every possible curse that I have heard in English.

Why am I conflicted? Only because I was actually trying to do well there while the majority of the other new hires have explicitly taken to simply not getting yelled at randomly. Last week I introduced a tracking system for their truck orders that would have solved ~90% of the information flow issues. It was pounced on by someone on the other shift and turned into just another version of their already chaotic and dyslexic system.

I don’t remember ever being happy to be fired, but in this case, it means that I will get to spend the holidays with my family and that I am eligible for unemployment compensation while looking for my next job.

I don’t wish any of the people I was working with any ill will, but the management is definitely suffering from multiple self-inflicted wounds and I have no desire to be witness to the monstrosity of it all.

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

How are you eligible for unemployment after only two weeks?

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

I stopped Emacs closing when I don't want it to. It works, but leaves one frame open, so Emacs is visible on the taskbar, and the code is ugly and uses defadvice.

Stupid GNU morons can't make emacsclient work the same on all systems.

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Herr Dunkel wrote:
Kereb wrote:
explain pls
You get bored and have a stupid idea. You take 98% pure alcohol and mix it with grapefruit juice. You drink that shit. You don't remember what happened afterwards. You don't do it again.
That is not "brewing", that is a retarted way to make a cocktail.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

yeah that's not "brewing"
"brewing" is when for example I put a bunch of honey and spices and water in a carboy for eight weeks and it becomes booze

what you're doing there is "mixing" -- specifically, mixing just about the world's shittiest highball.
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Started doing sit-ups today. It's a good thing for my ultimate goal of losing weight, but god it showed me how badly out of shape I am, in a way my huffing and puffing while walking hasn't ><
Image Image

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Nessari wrote:Started doing sit-ups today. It's a good thing for my ultimate goal of losing weight, but god it showed me how badly out of shape I am, in a way my huffing and puffing while walking hasn't ><
Situps aren't great for losing fat: might i recommend squats? jumping jacks? lunges?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Torco wrote:
Nessari wrote:Started doing sit-ups today. It's a good thing for my ultimate goal of losing weight, but god it showed me how badly out of shape I am, in a way my huffing and puffing while walking hasn't ><
Situps aren't great for losing fat: might i recommend squats? jumping jacks? lunges?
I'm also walking a bit over two and a quarter miles a day. The situps are more geared towards trying to reduce my stomach fat. As for the suggestions, thanks, I doubt I could pull squats or lunges off terribly well (my left leg has problems, I should probably get it looked at before my insurance runs out >.>), and I'm in a second floor apartment so jumping jacks probably aren't the best idea.
Image Image

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Nessari wrote:The situps are more geared towards trying to reduce my stomach fat.
you know this isn't how biology works, right?

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Legion wrote: That is not "brewing", that is a retarted way to make a cocktail.
Kereb wrote:yeah that's not "brewing"
"brewing" is when for example I put a bunch of honey and spices and water in a carboy for eight weeks and it becomes booze

what you're doing there is "mixing" -- specifically, mixing just about the world's shittiest highball.
Yeah, I know. It's fancier to say brewing. I haven't actually real-brewed anything.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano