The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by Ketumak »

Looking back on le Tour de France, once it got started, everything went pretty smoothly here. A couple of bottlenecks getting in and out of the fan park, but a good atmosphere once you were in there and again by the roadside the next day.
araceli wrote:Ketumak wrote:
The leg outside France tends to rotate around neighbouring countries

Taken out of context, this has a lot of potential for humorous reinterpretations.
Eek! Hadn't noticed that! :oops:

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Ketumak wrote:Looking back on le Tour de France, once it got started, everything went pretty smoothly here. A couple of bottlenecks getting in and out of the fan park, but a good atmosphere once you were in there and again by the roadside the next day.
It was pretty much the same here (barring the parts about people not being able to leave their houses :P ). One of the two roads up into Bedale was closed of with four-way traffic control at the junction up at the top of the other, which slowed traffic down, but considering how almost no-one outside the local area know how to handle that junction it probably cut down on a lot of honking and minor accidents and the buses that ran anywhere other than between Bedale and Northallerton ended up not running at all on Saturday. Sunday was dead though, which was nice :D
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Good to hear things went OK in Bedale!

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

I recently recieved a letter from the college I'm about to attend saying that I have been awarded roughly $16,000 in grants, loans, and scholarships. Which would be great...if about $8,000 wasn't loans. $2,000 of it is loans I need to pay off myself, while $6,000 of it is loans that my parents bear the responsibility for paying.

I need to actually accept the awards before they're given to me, so I can just choose to not take the loans (or take a smaller amount of them) since I've heard nothing but horror stories when it comes to student loan debt, but on the other hand they would help me not blow through my college fund really quickly...:/

(I'm in a lucky situation regardless...living with my parents so no living expenses and the college is literally a 10 minute walk so no transportation expenses, but...tuition is still a lot >_>)
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

You can get a lot of debt, but it's still possible to set up a plan where you take like 15 years to pay it off or whatever. It sucks to have it hanging over your head for such a long time but it's not too financially taxing (HEHEHE)

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

College starts tomorrow for me. I don't think I really need to say much more than that. I have this odd feeling of dread and excitement.
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

My condolences.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

So I caved and finally got a smartphone. It's cute and fun, but I can't use it because it doesn't have enough internal storage space to download anything that I can use to move stuff to the external storage card, and nothing will let me move it manually without making a huge effort and downloading and programming a million things and I hate technology.

Αυτοβοτα
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Αυτοβοτα »

Astraios wrote:So I caved and finally got a smartphone. It's cute and fun, but I can't use it because it doesn't have enough internal storage space to download anything that I can use to move stuff to the external storage card, and nothing will let me move it manually without making a huge effort and downloading and programming a million things and I hate technology.
My life me.

And I still have this POS with Froyo because it hasn't forced me to replace it yet.
-_-_Aftovota_-_-

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Is there a way to make the SD card the default location to install new apps?
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

So, my phone got lost at a trip to an abusement park yesterday: on a rather fun ride (Maverick), it appears to have fallen out of my pocket despite me thinking it was safely in there. Fortunately, it wasn't an extremely expensive phone, but that means it's now time to buy a replacement and get a replacement SIM card. And at least there's a store nearby I can do it at.

Also, my body hurts all over. Owwww...

On the happier side of things, though, I went to Cedar Point yesterday for the bring-a-friend weekend, where I could use my season pass to buy four admission tickets for friends for $20 a pop. Rode a fuckton of rides, including one I hadn't been on before at all (Power Tower) and one I hadn't been on in nine years (Top Thrill Dragster). Even better is that there's no work/school today, so I can use that to recuperate.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I assume the abusement typo was intentional?

I love amusement parks, but I don't have money for it. And the ones in Holland aren't really that exciting in the way of awesome roller coasters, I have been in most of them as a child and I don't suppose there are many new ones. 35, 40 euros for one day at an amusement park is quite normal.

The last one I've been to was Legoland in Denmark, a childhood's dream come true. And that was two years ago, haha.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

din wrote:Is there a way to make the SD card the default location to install new apps?
Not without downloading a million things to my laptop and doing it all manually, and I can't be bothered. I have room for one app (Grindr, obviously), and it's not like I miss all the other ones I've never used before anyway.

Unrelatedly, my laptop graphics card seems to have died so it's gone back to some old-looking settings, but it's made things work a bit faster, and I can't decide if it's better or not.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

sirdanilot wrote:I assume the abusement typo was intentional?

I love amusement parks, but I don't have money for it. And the ones in Holland aren't really that exciting in the way of awesome roller coasters, I have been in most of them as a child and I don't suppose there are many new ones. 35, 40 euros for one day at an amusement park is quite normal.

The last one I've been to was Legoland in Denmark, a childhood's dream come true. And that was two years ago, haha.
It was, yes. Reference to an old cartoon long, long ago.

Part of the reason I go to the one I do (Cedar Point) is that it's a.) about 90 minutes by car from where I live and b.) full of awesome roller coasters and thrill rides. Tickets there anymore are high, yes ($60 at the gate, about $45 online), but I did the math and ended up buying a season pass for the year because of how many times I went last year (three) and how quickly the pass would pay for itself in terms of ticket price, parking, and food (the pass includes a 10% discount on food, which is substantial). I've ended up going five times this year.

I haven't been to that Legoland, though I've been to the ones in Germany and in the UK (Windsor). Those were fun, yes, but I just like roller coasters and thrill rides and riding as many as possible, so I much prefer parks like CP, Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, and the like.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

sirdanilot wrote:I assume the abusement typo was intentional?

I worked in Duinrell a few years ago in the campsite section. One of the rollercoasters was alright/scary, but everything could basically be seen in a few hours, and it wasn't very big...

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Oh really? That's very close to where I live, haha.

Duinrell is not very exciting no, it's very small for an amusement park even for Dutch standards. But Duinrell is mainly exciting for the water part, with all sorts of fun water slides and things like that. Despite the fact that I could easily cycle to Duinrell, I have never been there (except once in my childhood).

There is one theme park in Holland that is at least moderately exciting as far as roller coasters go, but its name changes constantly (from walibi flevo to six flags holland to something else with walibi in it...).

But by far the best theme park in Holland is de Efteling. Not really because of the roller coasters, but because of the theme and the wonderful landscaping they did and stuff like that. Even though I would mainly go for the roller coasters if I would pay the price of a theme park, I would still prefer to go to de Efteling if I had the choice between that and a very boring park that had slightly more awesome roller coasters.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

In Japan, I've only been to Tokyo Disneyland once, and it was kinda disappointing, but I kinda wonder how much this is because I went with a guy who wasn't that into it. My current boyfriend has refused to go. I'd quite like to go again and not have to hold back because the other person thinks eg the haunted house will be a bit crap (it wasn't just because of him, to be fair, as the lines were a bit long too, for instance. And I'd like to go to Disney Sea.

If I was more into rollercoasters, I'd wanna go to FujiQ highland. That's got all the really fast ones... I kinda wanna go but not quite enough to take the plunge...

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

sirdanilot wrote:Oh really? That's very close to where I live, haha.

Duinrell is not very exciting no, it's very small for an amusement park even for Dutch standards. But Duinrell is mainly exciting for the water part, with all sorts of fun water slides and things like that. Despite the fact that I could easily cycle to Duinrell, I have never been there (except once in my childhood).

There is one theme park in Holland that is at least moderately exciting as far as roller coasters go, but its name changes constantly (from walibi flevo to six flags holland to something else with walibi in it...).

But by far the best theme park in Holland is de Efteling. Not really because of the roller coasters, but because of the theme and the wonderful landscaping they did and stuff like that. Even though I would mainly go for the roller coasters if I would pay the price of a theme park, I would still prefer to go to de Efteling if I had the choice between that and a very boring park that had slightly more awesome roller coasters.
Madurodam! I loved Madurodam when I was a child.

What? It's a park, and it's got a theme...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I have a job interview tomorrow! I am simultaneously really excited and just a liiiittle bit terrified.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Best of luck :) I'm sure you're qualified.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I'm pretty sure it went really really well, and now I'm suuuper excited. But now I'll be terribly disappointed if I don't get it, since it sounds really excellent.

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Particles the Greek »

We'll keep our collective fingers collectively crossed for you.
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Salmoneus wrote:
Madurodam! I loved Madurodam when I was a child.

What? It's a park, and it's got a theme...
Yes that's a fun park too.

There's a nice satirical voice-over of the queen saying 'Madurom has all the same house, only small, is very nice!'.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

I love the project I'm working on for my Ph.D. It's fun and poses a lot of interesting questions, plus there are a lot of pretty colors. And I've invested a lot of time and energy into the project.

But... I don't want to be in Ohio. I feel restless and like I need a change of scenery. And the project I applied for a grant to work on is one that's interesting and in Luxembourg, which is a plus, but I would feel horrible abandoning the project I'm currently working with.

So, when it comes down to it, I really don't know what I want: to stick it out and finish up here, or to go to a place I really want to be to work on a completely new and different Ph.D. project. I really don't know.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Isn't a phd project something you commit yourself to for say three or four years? I don't think it's something you can just give up on now is it.

Try to go to conferences and the like abroad for a change of pace during your stay in ohio. I could imagine not wanting to stay in ohio indefinitely, it does not strike me as the most interesting place in the world.