The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by Vuvuzela »

I like my coffee like I like my men: not burning my tongue.
This sometimes leads me to put in unmanly things like milk so that I can drink it immediately before leaving.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Vuvuzela wrote:I like my coffee like I like my men: not burning my tongue.
This sometimes leads me to put in unmanly things like milk so that I can drink it immediately before leaving.
Drink black coffee in a glass filled with ice cubes then.

Lots of people do that around here - quite manly.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I don't drink hot drinks at all. I put cold water in, or ice cubes if I have any, until it's cold enough. In tea as well.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Ean wrote:Drink black coffee in a glass filled with ice cubes then.
That dilutes the coffee, though.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Speaking of tongue-burning, here's another contradictory thing.

1. I do not enjoy eating very spicy food. Anything over maybe 5k on the scoville scale. It's unpleasant and I keep trying to make the sensation go away by drinking lots of milk or ceasing to eat it.
2. I keep wanting to eat very spicy food. Whenever it's been a couple days I start getting cravings. I planted two Jalapeño plants this year and god help me there's still 50+ peppers to get through.

This is like some bizarre culinary masochism. I'm reminded of Jeff Burke's thusly disproven hypothesis that addiction is indistinguishable from liking something a lot.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Jabechasqvi wrote:
Ean wrote:Drink black coffee in a glass filled with ice cubes then.
That dilutes the coffee, though.
Not a problem I've heard from people who drink it (who usually drink it quickly), so don't worry.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Astraios wrote:I don't drink hot drinks at all. I put cold water in, or ice cubes if I have any, until it's cold enough. In tea as well.
You don't like hot cocoa or chocolate or whatever you call it? Milk with honey when you're sick before going to bed?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Ean wrote:You don't like hot cocoa or chocolate or whatever you call it? Milk with honey when you're sick before going to bed?
Hot chocolate. And I said already, I don't drink hot drinks. Look there, I put emphasis on 'hot', which makes it mean "I don't drink drinks which have a very high temperature". Of course I love hot chocolate and milk and honey and honey and lemon and things.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

How about making some coffee, freezing it into ice cubes, and then later putting the coffee ice in a cup of coffee to cool it down faster without diluting it?

chaoktarukto
Niš
Niš

Post by chaoktarukto »

I hate being around people, since a lot of them tend to annoy me and I like the solitude, yet I hate being lonely, and want to be around people whom I can talk to. My Asperger's just loves to annoy me.

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

Astraios wrote:
Ean wrote:You don't like hot cocoa or chocolate or whatever you call it? Milk with honey when you're sick before going to bed?
Hot chocolate. And I said already, I don't drink hot drinks. Look there, I put emphasis on 'hot', which makes it mean "I don't drink drinks which have a very high temperature". Of course I love hot chocolate and milk and honey and honey and lemon and things.
You're contradictory.
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I want to be more open about my feelings so I don't get some sort of ulcer from stress or whatever, but I hate everyone that I'm around all the time.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

then what makes you think being open is at all a good idea? shouldn't you want mostly to not hate people, rather than want to Express Yourself

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Wattmann wrote:
Astraios wrote:
You're contradictory.
+1, emphasis on the contra-

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Pthug wrote:then what makes you think being open is at all a good idea? shouldn't you want mostly to not hate people, rather than want to Express Yourself
What if those around him are hateworthy.
Find a new around then! Or rediscover people. Sometimes happens, especially when you just have first impressions of them. People in isolation are not the same as people in groups.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Radius Solis wrote:1. I do not enjoy eating very spicy food. Anything over maybe 5k on the scoville scale. It's unpleasant and I keep trying to make the sensation go away by drinking lots of milk or ceasing to eat it.
2. I keep wanting to eat very spicy food. Whenever it's been a couple days I start getting cravings. I planted two Jalapeño plants this year and god help me there's still 50+ peppers to get through.
I enjoy spicy food, but it aggravates my chronic GERD like nobody's business. So I spend a lot of time saying to myself, "I would love to eat that but I really don't want to be up slurping Pepto-Bismal until 2 a.m."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Wattmann wrote:You're contradictory.
Maybe so, but what's contradictory about drinking them pleasantly warm instead of scaldingly hot?

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

Astraios wrote:
Wattmann wrote:You're contradictory.
Maybe so, but what's contradictory about drinking them pleasantly warm instead of scaldingly hot?
You dislike hot drinks but you like hot chocolate - that's very contradictory xD
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

nobody likes scaldingly hot drinks because they're scaldingly hot and yet people still say they like, and ask for, "hot drinks". when people say "hot", therefore, they do not and cannot mean "scaldingly hot" but "pleasantly hot" -- that is "pleasantly warm".

you're not a special contradictory snowflake after all.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I actually like that my hot drinks be served cold. This gives me a choice as to the temperature I want to drink it at: if its served moderately warm, it will drop beloy moderately warm rather fast, whereas if its served too warm to be drunk, I can drink it all throughout the tolerable range, thus at my pace and leisure, instead of having the option of just right and too cold I have too hot, just right and too cold.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Torco wrote:I actually like that my hot drinks be served cold. This gives me a choice as to the temperature I want to drink it at: if its served moderately warm, it will drop beloy moderately warm rather fast, whereas if its served too warm to be drunk, I can drink it all throughout the tolerable range, thus at my pace and leisure, instead of having the option of just right and too cold I have too hot, just right and too cold.
stahp with the subjunctives

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Part of me wants to see the Orioles defeat the Yankees now and part of me wants them to survive long enough that the Cardinals can face them in the World Series.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Ean wrote:
Torco wrote:I actually like that my hot drinks be served cold. This gives me a choice as to the temperature I want to drink it at: if its served moderately warm, it will drop beloy moderately warm rather fast, whereas if its served too warm to be drunk, I can drink it all throughout the tolerable range, thus at my pace and leisure, instead of having the option of just right and too cold I have too hot, just right and too cold.
stahp with the subjunctives
may it be said, that the subjunctive mood be known as best mood is what the LORD indented.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

no me digas, busquemos a alguien que lo use!
wait...

You could've used truth be told too.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

that's not a subjunctive, that's just a crystallized expression, a one-lexeme phrase that, at some level, operates outside grammar and on the level of lexicon instead