The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by Thry »

Yep; truth be told, la verdad sea dicha has nothing to do with subjunctives either. Just a crystallized unicorn in there.

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

Torco wrote:I actually like prefer that my hot drinks be served cold. This gives me a choice as to the temperature I want to drink it at: if its served moderately warm, it will drop beloy moderately warm rather fast, whereas if its served too warm to be drunk, I can drink it all throughout the tolerable range, thus at my pace and leisure, instead of having the option of just right and too cold I have too hot, just right and too cold.
This construction seems less awkward than "like that my hot drinks be". Probably because "like" by itself implies that the circumstances that bring you positive emotions are actually being realized, and "would like" or "would like for", when it takes a verbal compliment, must use the to-infinitive, whereas "prefer", when it's not obvious what it's object of comparison is, draws a contrast to reality, hence allowing for subjunctive forms. Or something like that.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

When you like someone as a friend but you're kinda scared of them and don't really like being around them... So I have a friend who demonstrated on me how her father used to grab her by the hair and yell in her face. It really hurt, because she yanked my head back quite violently.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Ooh, contradictory feelings in abundance. Let's see...
·So, I'm in a doctoral degree program. (I still have no earthly idea how I got in.) And I'm very happy I'm here and think that I'll do well, but a part of me is deathly afraid of not meeting the minimum GPA to stay in the program (minimum is a 3.00), not passing to candidacy, or a slew of other misfortunes that'd force me out of the program.
·I'm happy to be working towards a doctorate right now, but I'm not happy that I'm not in Europe and I wish that I were over there instead of here.
·I would like to be in a relationship at some point (I've never been in any sort of committed relationship), but I'm afraid of lowering my defenses and ultimately being hurt if a relationship fails.
·And, speaking of relationships, I want to be a bit more open about not being straight and not have some of the very... awkward conversations that I've had this past summer, but that could potentially jeopardize my current and/or future employment in addition to there still being this nagging feeling that my family won't be very accepting.
·Possibly lastly, as stated before, I wish I had more friends here in Kent, but I don't want to lay down too many roots to have to destroy them when I leave, and I have no idea how long I'll be here in Ohio.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Astraios wrote:When you like someone as a friend but you're kinda scared of them and don't really like being around them... So I have a friend who demonstrated on me how her father used to grab her by the hair and yell in her face. It really hurt, because she yanked my head back quite violently.
whoa, that's kind of rude

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Is it rude to think things?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I don't care about rudeness, she has Asperger's so whatever. It's the way she's so straight-guy-acting and macho, I always feel like she's going to hurt me. She's manlier than you by miles, Torco.

Anguipes
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Anguipes »

I just finished watching Prometheus. Many, many contradictory feelings.
"It is quite certain, in particular, that I have always been insane." ~ Aleister Crowley

"Save us all from arrogant men/And all the causes they're for/I won't be righteous again/I'm not that sure any more." ~ Shades of Grey, Billy Joel

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Yeah, like why couldn't they just have taken Hittite and expanded on it?
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Anguipes wrote:I just finished watching Prometheus. Many, many contradictory feelings.
Hahaha, yeah. Where to begin, eh? XD
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

vampireshark wrote:Ooh, contradictory feelings in abundance. Let's see...
·So, I'm in a doctoral degree program. (I still have no earthly idea how I got in.) And I'm very happy I'm here and think that I'll do well, but a part of me is deathly afraid of not meeting the minimum GPA to stay in the program (minimum is a 3.00), not passing to candidacy, or a slew of other misfortunes that'd force me out of the program.
·I'm happy to be working towards a doctorate right now, but I'm not happy that I'm not in Europe and I wish that I were over there instead of here.
·I would like to be in a relationship at some point (I've never been in any sort of committed relationship), but I'm afraid of lowering my defenses and ultimately being hurt if a relationship fails.
·And, speaking of relationships, I want to be a bit more open about not being straight and not have some of the very... awkward conversations that I've had this past summer, but that could potentially jeopardize my current and/or future employment in addition to there still being this nagging feeling that my family won't be very accepting.
·Possibly lastly, as stated before, I wish I had more friends here in Kent, but I don't want to lay down too many roots to have to destroy them when I leave, and I have no idea how long I'll be here in Ohio.
So you're in a doctorate program? Essentially, that means you're planning to stay in the same place for at least three years. And you're worried about laying down roots? Um...

Look, don't put off trying to make friends and/or relationships, because you're just going to end up lonely. You can always worry about what happens when you leave the place later. Three years down the line. But the way you talk about it, it sounds like you don't really want to be there.

As for the relationship things, learning how not to be defensive is probably beneficial, and you get sex out of the deal in the end. Also don't for heaven's sake stay in the closet if it's bothering you that much. "Future employment" isn't really an excuse in this area – I kind of don't really see what possible employment you could be after that is worth hiding your sexuality (and even then, what employer are you going to be telling your sexuality to during an interview?). And isn't your brother gay? Why wouldn't your family accept you? (or is he also closeted? have you at least talked to him about it?)

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

The Historia channel seems to have a lot of programs about ancient astronaut theories. Very interesting stuff, always liked sci-fi, but history?
It was about time I changed this.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

ol bofosh wrote:The Historia channel seems to have a lot of programs about ancient astronaut theories. Very interesting stuff, always liked sci-fi, but history?
And some documentaries about Atlantis, too. XD

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I just now read on Facebook a status that said: "The History Channel should be called the Speculation Channel - half of what's on it isn't even history." How coincidental.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

There's a youtube-spoof about The History Channel. You should look it up. Is pretty funny.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

bíí’oxúyoo wrote:There's a youtube-spoof about The History Channel. You should look it up. Is pretty funny.
What is it called?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Glad to see I'm not the only one to make that observation. "The Speculation Channel" would be very appropriate, lol.

(Atlantis! Oh, wow, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one then :wink: )
It was about time I changed this.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Izambri wrote:
Anguipes wrote:I just finished watching Prometheus. Many, many contradictory feelings.
Hahaha, yeah. Where to begin, eh? XD
Oh, wait. Look what I've found: the parody trailer. So true! XD

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Ean wrote:Is it rude to think things?
I meant its rude to pull a person's head back and shout or whatever. of course its not rude to be intimidated by anyone... especially when you're straio :P

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

That makes more sense.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Torco wrote:of course its not rude to be intimidated by anyone... especially when you're straio :P

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Vuvuzela wrote:
Torco wrote:I actually like prefer that my hot drinks be served cold hot. This gives me a choice as to the temperature I want to drink it at: if its served moderately warm, it will drop beloy moderately warm rather fast, whereas if its served too warm to be drunk, I can drink it all throughout the tolerable range, thus at my pace and leisure, instead of having the option of just right and too cold I have too hot, just right and too cold.
This construction seems less awkward than "like that my hot drinks be". Probably because "like" by itself implies that the circumstances that bring you positive emotions are actually being realized...
yes, because drinks are generally served hotter than they can be drunk, which is a good thing. Also, I meant to say hot. fokken brainfart
Astraios wrote:
Torco wrote:of course its not rude to be intimidated by anyone... especially when you're straio :P

BOO!

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

scary shit there

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

I like expanding my conlang's lexicon, specially when translating long texts, as I'm doing now. I love to work etymologies...

...but I hate it for the time spent. Almost one hour working three damn words; their etymologies and evolutions into Hellesan.
At that speed I won't finish the text on time.

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

I love and hate my Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule. Math and physics kill me every day. Tibetan and ASL bring me back to life.
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/