The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
----
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by ---- »

-
Last edited by ---- on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

My friend Liz told me yesterday that she was engaged. Apparently, I was one of the first people she told. But now I feel mixed about it all because, frankly, I love her, and have basically since I first met her 20 years ago, and probably always will even if I try not to (I thought I had gotten over the fact that I am most likely never going to have her long ago, but maybe not), but at the same time I want her to be happy, as I care about her as my closest friend after all, and I have no reason to dislike her fiance (I would have told her if I did). And yet, at the same time, I appreciate that she told me before she told "everyone", that I mean that much to her.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Taking off my wedding ring for a while after a friend suggested I try that and see how it feels. So far: weird. But I'm not entirely sure why.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Assuming you've worn your wedding ring since your wedding (which is normal, afaik) you've just removed a slight pressure on your finger that you've become so accustomed to you stopped realising it was there.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

KathTheDragon wrote:Assuming you've worn your wedding ring since your wedding (which is normal, afaik)
Very little about our marriage was "normal" (i.e. heteronormative). For instance, we didn't have a wedding.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I apparently just woke up from sleeping for almost a whole hour. I didn't even realize I'd fallen asleep in the first place. :o

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Finally, I've managed to make myself start working on my university projects.

Now the bottleneck is the univ's online judge which takes ages to test a program (especially now, when it's close to the deadline and everyone is handing in their projects).
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

did my tax return today and I'm gonna get about $2000 (¥211000 ish) back from the government. this is good... but I rather stupidly decided it'd be a good idea to go on the first day it's possible to do it, so I had to stand around for about 2 hours. also, i was rather hoping to get a bit more money than that back, but no matter i guess. i just feel wiped out and i have a bit of a headache now though. i don't know if i can be bothered doing anything else today but it's sunny (for another hour and a half until sunset) and i need to get exercise....

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

On this date two years ago I endured one of the worst days of my life. I still miss my husband terribly, but it is some consolation not to have to be constantly fighting with health care providers in order to get him proper care.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

I now own six different versions of the Bible, and three versions of the Quran. Pretty weird for an atheist.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Ryusenshi wrote:I now own six different versions of the Bible, and three versions of the Quran. Pretty weird for an atheist.
That's not weird; it just suggests that you're capable of having some level of interest in understanding people you don't agree with. :) I must have at least four versions of the Bible, but I don't think that's at all weird for an atheist. Studying religion is interesting when you don't believe in religion, and not believing in it gives you a different perspective on the subject.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Ryusenshi wrote:I now own six different versions of the Bible, and three versions of the Quran. Pretty weird for an atheist.
What language/s are they in?

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

Four in French:
  • The Jerusalem Bible, a Catholic Bible. My go-to Bible when I just want to read, the one I've read from start to finish (though it took me five years). This edition adds titles and subtitles, and sometimes makes breaks at places other than the traditional chapters: that makes the structure more apparent for a newcomer such as myself.
  • "Nouvelle édition de Genève", a Protestant Bible. It's an updated version of the Louis Segond version, which is probably the most common translation used by French-speaking Protestants. Much more bare-bones than the Jerusalem, but it has cross-references for quotations which is nice.
  • Bible de Port-Royal, an old (Catholic) translation from the 17th century.
  • Translation by André Chouraqui, the weirdest one by far. You know that a good translation can make you forget you're reading a translation, right? Well, Chouraqui (who's Jewish) took the opposite approach: this version bludgeons you over the head with the fact that it's a translation. Names are transliterated from Hebrew instead of using the traditional forms (e.g. it's "Ieroushalaîm" and "Moshè" instead of "Jerusalem" and "Moses"). The grammar follows closely the Hebrew original even when it's weird in French; the translator uses French cognates as much as possible to render Hebrew cognates; idiomatic expressions are kept word-for-word... everything that translators usually avoid. Very hard to read, and sometimes borderline crackpot, but interesting.
One in English: the Authorized Version a.k.a. the King James Version, of course, for its impact on the English language. I'm not really interested in any other English version, really: if I want an easy-to-read version I'll go for the Jerusalem, if I want the most precise translation I'll go for the Segond or the Chouraqui. The only reason for me to read the Bible in a foreign language is if the translation is itself valuable, which is certainly the case for the KJV.

One in Spanish: the Reina-Valera, the most famous translation in Spanish. (Because of the name "Reina", which means "queen", I thought that it was a reference to a Queen, just as the most famous English version mentions a King. But "Reina" here is just the name of the translator.)

If some day I can read German well enough, maybe I'll try to find a Luther Bible. I'd also be interested in a Latin Vulgate, if I can find one for a decent price. Having the Tanakh in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek would be cool, but as I speak neither of these languages (yet - growth mindset), it would be a waste.

Edit: and the three editions of the Quran are in French. I will probably end up selling one of them, actually, as I really don't like it.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Ryusenshi wrote:Pretty weird for an atheist.
I would actually be shocked if you weren't, with that collection. Most people that I've met, who have read numerous versions of various religious texts, tend to be at least less-than-theistic.

Myself, I've read almost every "sacred" text I can get my hands on, and I find them all equally fictitious. Poetic, episodic, entertaining, sure...but far from enlightening or convincing.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

masako wrote: I would actually be shocked if you weren't, with that collection. Most people that I've met, who have read numerous versions of various religious texts, tend to be at least less-than-theistic.
If I have children, I'm definitely going to read Bible with them, you convinced me. :D

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Pole, the wrote:
masako wrote: I would actually be shocked if you weren't, with that collection. Most people that I've met, who have read numerous versions of various religious texts, tend to be at least less-than-theistic.
If I have children, I'm definitely going to read Bible with them, you convinced me. :D
Both of my parents are atheist, but my dad and I sometimes talk about Biblical verses (in particular, (the Malayalam version of) 1st Corinthians 13 verses 8 and 12 because verse 8 mentions languages/tongues and he was confused by verse 12 for the longest time), and Christianity in general. Most of the songs he knows are also Christian hymns (or so he says). My mom also sometimes randomly sings Christian hymns. (Both of them know hymns in both Malayalam and English, though perhaps more in Malayalam since not all of these have English equivalents).

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Pole, the wrote:
My son calls himself "non-theistic" and has - of his own accord - read the Bible and Qur'an. He starts college soon and explained to me that he read them so he would be able to speak about religion with at least some relative knowledge.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I have a Children's Bible, which is much shorter than any actual Bible, so I read that as a child and thus am familiar with the major stories in it, I guess, but then tried reading the actual Bible as a teenager and sort of gave up because I got overwhelmed with all of those lists of descendants. (I think I get lost with those lists since most of the people listed in them don't really seem to be relevant to the rest of the Bible. I keep having trouble remembering/telling how people are related).

I used an online version of the Qur'an to learn Al-Fatiha and the first three verses of Al-Baqara but then got overwhelmed again, this time just because there were such long verses in Arabic after that. :P

It so happens that I am actually more familiar with Hindu mythology because I read so much of it (primarily in the form of cartoons my parents bought from India) ever since I was nine or something. I am less familiar with Buddhist mythology and even less so with Jain mythology, both of which I was exposed to more or less the same way as Hindu mythology.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

In the past few months, I've gotten pretty healthy. I've still got a lot of weight to lose, but my assorted collection of chronic conditions are all under good control, I'm completely recovered from depression, and I'm quite physically active. A consequence of this is that my energy level has gone way, way, WAY up. At first this was nice (would compare it to the feeling of having a tailwind on a bicycle), but when I don't burn it off it turns into anxiety. Nowadays I have so much energy that I CAN'T feasibly burn it off before work, and my job (which I usually like a lot) has been feeling like a daily torture session, because I have to sit still while I feel like I'm on an IV drip of caffeine. I'd like to start bicycle commuting (especially as cycling is THE best way to handle it), but my workplace doesn't have showers and summers here are HOT so I'm not sure that will be feasible. I do like having energy, but this is getting kind of ridiculous and is interfering with my quality of life.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I get something like that too, but it's more like I hurt my shoulder and then got sick enough to stop me exercising almost at all for a few weeks, and my anxiety levels went way up... (not that they weren't already like, up there)

I just want my shoulder to heal but by all accounts i still need a few more weeks of physiotherapy.........

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

I just bought a new guitar amp. That was totally unplanned, I just ran into an opportunity. On the one hand, it sounds awesome. On the other, I don't really need a new amp, and this one has no headphone socket.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Another day, another uncle I know personally dies. I kind of want to just ignore it as usual, but I wonder how many siblings my mom has left.

Let's see, there's the one with kidney problems(?), the one with cancer, two other sisters who are fine AFAIR, and...wait, does this mean she only has one brother left now?? Whoa :o

No, wait, there are two...Hmm. Maybe I'll ask my dad to make sure.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

The candidate I voted for won. On the other hand, the reasons that drove people to vote for the far right haven't gone away, and the new president is going to have an awfully hard time juggling everything.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I saw a gastroenterologist today. The nature of the problems I'm having is still unknown, but I have elevated leukocytes and CRP (=a sign of inflammation), and the doctor suspects I have pouchitis, which has also been my suspicion (I've had many issues with it in the past). This can unfortunately be rather hard to treat, but "we don't know what's going on" is harder to treat. Now I've got an ileoscopy scheduled for two weeks from tomorrow (such fun!).

I'm spending so goddamn much money on copays (another ¥7500 today...), but at least some progress is being made, I'm becoming much more comfortable navigating the Japanese healthcare system, and I sure am learning a lot of new (medical) vocabulary.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Blugh. But remember that if you spend over ¥100,000 in one year you can claim it as a deductible expense on your tax return next year – that includes medical bills overseas and transport costs. I mean, that's still quite a lot but you can get some of it back at least. I'd have to ask my boyfriend for the details of when you can start getting proper refunds – I think it's more for long hospital stays and so on, but I think there's some kind of cap.