[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - The Gardening Splinter Thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:10 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:44 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

The Brussels regional govt handed out packs of seeds to encourage people to grow their own veggies on 1 m². We don't have a balcony, but there is a roof that I can crawl onto via the toilet at the back of the building. The back of the building looks out on the backs of other buildings though (i.e. there's not much light), and my harvest may OD on pigeon manure, so I'm wondering how well these things would fare on the window sill in the kitchen (south-facing, so warm and bright).

Alternatively, maybe I can plant my lettuce between the tram tracks. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

What seeds are they? Almost all my vegetables started life in takeaway containers in polythene bag "greenhouses" on the windowsill. I think the only thing we didn't do like that were the root vegetables like beetroot and carrots.

Start them off in a plastic takeaway container or ice cream tub or something like that and just keep the soil from drying out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:58 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sounds promising. I'll give it a try.

Radishes, rocket, green beans and chard.

I'm not going to grow the green beans, probably, because I don't want any weirdly tall structures on my window sill. Also can't recall the last time I ate chard, but that's a good reason to grow it, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:52 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

At my house, since we have a good amount of space in the backyard (I have no idea how much, truth be told... probably at least 50 m²), we have the following planted in a garden of sorts:
·Tomatoes
·Japanese eggplant
·Salad cucumbers
·Jalapeño pepper
·Zucchini/Courgettes
·Bell pepper
·Yellow crookneck squash
·Cantaloupe
·Watermelon
·Green Okra
Out of those, the tomatoes are doing extremely well with the eggplant, cucumbers, jalapeño, and zucchini all, so far, also bearing some fruit. The tomatoes appear to love being down here in North Carolina because, despite dying in the winter due to frost, they produce like crazy once they get going. Herb-wise, we have a sweet basil plant that's growing like a small bush, a tub of mints that's doing very well, and rosemary that's taken off quite nicely. All the other herbs are doing well, but not to a great degree yet.

Also, we have a large gardenia out front of the house that's doing beautifully despite being out of season for further flower production and various other things, such as pineapple sage (for hummingbirds), black-eyed Susans that don't want to behave, patches of calendula, sunflowers, echinacea, dahlias, and other things.

The only issues are that we have problems with some forest creatures, such as squirrels, and with tomato hookworms and Japanese beetles. We really can't do anything about the former (and we really don't need to, because the plants we grow appear are picked quickly to avoid falling prey to them), but we do use a pesticide to get rid of the insects.

In search of subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:11 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:24 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

don't wanna derail, but this thread made me wanna plant some motherfucking plants and then eat the shit outta them, that'd be cool [have to make it sound more manly with profanity, otherwise it's just 'growing vegetables in my backyard, darling']. problem is, I have no idea how to plant no motherfucking plants. Can anyone give me a few pointers on what to plant and stuff? it's winter here, the ground is very dark, a bit hard [though that can be solved... with motherfucking muscle] and has plenty of ash, which supposedly is good for plants. Also, it's rainy, though chilean winters rarely go below, say, 0°C. I like celery and potatoes, and radishes, and green beans. and onions, of course, lots of onions. but I know nothing about backyard agriculture. I know this is crazy and we've just met but tips greatly appreciated maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

In search of subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Just think of yourself impregnating the earth with your mighty seed, with the spade representing your penis and your gardening gloves representing whatever people wear to stop getting spiked by sharp weeds during sex.

You can start most herbs and things indoors... Winter is not a great time to start growing things, but you can start thinking about things for spring. Chard and similar will grow happily if you buy seeds now. Lettuce is pretty easy to grow and you get lots of winter lettuces. Manly lettuces. What I do is go to a garden centre and just read the back of packets until I find which ones grow when, and then ignore it all and buy the ones with the best colours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:33 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:29 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by Gulliver on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:30 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:40 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I love the peppery bitter taste! Rocket, spinach, lettuce, parsley, chives, a good glug of olive oil, a good glug of hemp oil, some capers and some balsamic and you've got yourself a nice little salad going on.

I don't know about in Chile, but here in sunny England you can get growing pots of herbs like basil in supermarkets for not very much. They generally die as soon as you get them home, unless you put them into fresh compost, in which case they'll survive for a long, long time. I've got two plants out of mine after I took a cutting, so they can be kept going semi-indefinitely. I think that's how my parsley started also. I buy them when they're discounted because they don't water them in the shop and suffer and get marked down.

That might be a good place to start.

Last edited by Gulliver on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:41 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Avocados are prohibitively expensive here. Capers are amazing and hemp oil is pretty good too, and I think it's only produced one or two counties away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:54 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

they're not cheap here either... some three dollars to the kilo. they're exceptionally good, tho, never tasted better avocado than in chile... hell, we even put it in hotdogs.

capers *google*... alcaparras ! damn, man, those things are nasty!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:44 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

Spices are also a good thing to plant. It's the only convenient way to get just enough fresh spices for a meal.

One gardening book I read pointed out that most new gardeners overdo it. They turn the whole backyard into a garden or something. Not only does this create a huge amount of work for weeding, but it tends to produce more stuff than can be readily eaten.

Once you get used to garden-grown tomatoes, supermarket tomatoes seem like mushy styrofoam.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:42 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:12 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:32 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:29 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:44 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:39 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I've just planted some manly lettuce, brussels sprouts, cabbage and pak choi indoors in containers. I'm sure you're not supposed to transplant lettuce or cabbage, but I wanted to plant something and it is raining and horrible outside. I've got my eye on three more garlic cloves that have gone sprouty, but I think I'll do them on Sunday.

My blueberry plant cutting hasn't rooted yet. It hasn't died, but is hasn't rooted. Boo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 am 
Smeric
Smeric

FWIW, what I (now) do for garlic is, in October, buy 5 or 6 heads of it and separate out only the fattest cloves and plant those. It's best if they aren't already sprouting because they need to be dormant during a winter and preferably get frozen a few times - this is the signal to the plant that next summer it's going to have to grow good fat bulbs to store enough energy. Without that cue, your results are likely to be as disappointing as mine were. Unless you just want to use the leaves as garlic greens in salads, or you're co-planting to repel pests; spring planting is fine for that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next