[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Linguistic Struggles Thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:11 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:10 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I think that's also /z/ in egyptian or not?

It's been a while since I took arabic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:22 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Last edited by masako on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:42 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

K mate I'll take your word for it

I heard a /s/ and /z/ for every th and dh from her but okay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:17 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:02 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:57 am 
Sanci
Sanci

In the Arabic dialects where ق is pronounced as a uvular [q] or [ɢ], what is the pronunciation of i, ī when adjacent to qāf, for example in the word ʿirāqī?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:07 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

In my experience short i becomes more like [ɪ] like qitar [qɪtɑːr] but the long i stays an i. It's not impossible to pronounce, just slightly harder than normal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:20 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I keep accidentallying Ojibwe words into my Japanese. I don't know how many times my brain is going to spit out 'miinawaa' (ミーナワー!) when I'm trying to construct some Japanese sentence.

|

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:15 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:21 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:04 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Irish spelling ... I get it now ... mostly, but I don't always know how to work out the vowel's pronunciation when there's a front vowel and a back vowel. In a word like seaicéad (Jacket), it's pretty easy.

These vowels, seaicéad, are there to mark the s and the c as "slender", leaving the a in the first syllable to only conceivably be there because it is pronounced. Then in the second syllable, the accent over the e means it's long, meaning that, odds are, it is pronounced and that final a is just there to make the d hard.

But in a word like anois (now), I look at it and think "Do I pronounce the "o" or the "i"?" I assumed the o and that the "i" was there to make the "s" slender, but it's pronounced [əˈn̪ˠɪʃ] in most dialects, meaning the "i" is pronounced and the "o" is just there to show that the "n" is broad.

Also, in the Connemara dialect, it's [əˈnʲɪʃ], meaning it would better be spelt ainis, but I can deal with simple irregularity.

I know that, for example, the letter combination "aoi" is pronounced /i:/ and indicates a preceding broad consonant and a following hard consonant, which doesn't make much intuitive sense to me ... but do I have to remember every pair or triplet of written vowels. For example, is "oi" usually /ɪ/ preceded by hard and followed by soft ... or can it also represent an "o" sound?

For people unfamiliar with Irish, broad = velarised (indicated by being surrounded by back vowels) and slender = palatalised (indicated by surrounding front vowels).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:44 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:52 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I struggle with Irish as well, sometimes I forget that an is the definite article, and there are no indefinite articles. The spelling, the pronunciation, basically everything.

Taisc mach Daró

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:25 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:32 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:22 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Lots of sound files on this site. You look up the word in one of the dictionaries and then hit the 'Pronunciation' tag :

http://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/anois

This on illustrates the stress/length differences across the dialects :

http://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/seaic%C3%A9ad

In Ulster the second historically long vowel is unstressed and short, but not obscure.
In Connacht the stress sound fairly even between the syllables to me, with the second vowel long.
In Munster the long vowel has attracted the main stress, and has also broken /e/ > /iə/.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:28 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:52 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Last edited by marconatrix on Sat May 09, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:12 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

It is weird to me the phonological coincidences between Munster and Scottish Gaelic despite their being on opposite ends of the dialect continuum. See also their treatment of short vowels before tense liquids and nasals.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:34 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:43 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Do the traditional dialect distinctions actually have any relevance for real, living Irish? That is, is the 'Munster' dialect just what's spoken by twenty guys out in Dingle, or is it still reflected in the speech of ordinary young speakers in, say, Waterford?
[And given that most Irish speakers live in Dublin, which isn't in Ulster, Munster or Connacht, what dialect do they speak?]

*checks wikipedia*
So am I right in thinking that what people speak now is a standardised form derived from the Connacht dialect? Or is that only in Dublin (ie do people in Waterford still speak Munster?)

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:23 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:40 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Just a note to say that the Scots Gaelic sound files are working again (today at least) here :

http://faclair.com/

Hover over the icon or the IPA and wait a second or two ...

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:07 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp
One thing I struggle with is I think I spend so much time with non-native English speakers, I think my grip on my mother tongue loosens a bit every day. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next